AFCON Qualified Teams/Eliminated "Bigs" [UPDATED]

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
AFCON Qualified Teams/Eliminated "Bigs" [UPDATED]

Post by Enugu II »

QUALIFIED (24 MAX)
1. Egypt (HOST)
2. Senegal
3. Madagascar
4. Morocco
5. Cameroon
6. Mali
7. Burundi
8. Algeria
9. Nigeria
10. Ghana
11. Kenya
12. Guinea
13. Ivory Coast
14. Angola
15. Mauritania
16. Tunisia
17. Uganda
18. Guinea Bissau
19. Namibia
20. Zimbabwe
21. Congo DR
22. Benin Republic
23. Tanzania

24. South Africa

***** Those in red made it courtesy of expansion to 24 teams *****

ELIMINATED SURPRISINGLY
These are teams that were projected at the beginning to get through but failed. More will possibly join this list after Sunday games.

1. Zambia
2. Gabon
3. Burkina Faso
Last edited by Enugu II on Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
mystic
Egg
Egg
Re: AFCON Qualified Teams/Eliminated "Bigs"

Post by mystic »

Enugu II wrote:QUALIFIED (24 MAX)
1. Egypt (HOST)
2. Senegal
3. Madagascar
4. Morocco
5. Cameroon
6. Mali
7. Burundi
8. Algeria
9. Nigeria
10. Ghana
11. Kenya
12. Guinea
13. Ivory Coast
14. Angola
15. Mauritania
16. Tunisia
17. Uganda

ELIMINATED SURPRISINGLY
These are teams that were projected at the beginning to get through but failed. More will possibly join this list after Sunday games.

1. Zambia
2. Gabon
3. Burkina Faso

Zambia are the biggest surprise for me. They coasted to a 4-1 bashing over Namibia today, but they were poor for much of the qualifiers.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

mystic wrote:
1. Egypt (HOST)
2. Senegal
3. Madagascar
4. Morocco
5. Cameroon
6. Mali
7. Burundi
8. Algeria
9. Nigeria
10. Ghana
11. Kenya
12. Guinea
13. Ivory Coast
14. Angola
15. Mauritania
16. Tunisia
17. Uganda

ELIMINATED SURPRISINGLY

1. Zambia
2. Gabon
3. Burkina Faso

Zambia are the biggest surprise for me. They coasted to a 4-1 bashing over Namibia today, but they were poor for much of the qualifiers.
Mystic,

Watching some of these teams, you got to respect Senegal as perhaps the best team out there today. They have everything -- speed, physicality, and technical ability everywhere. These guys knock thier opponents down with a shift of the shoulder and step on them when the ref isn't looking. I felt sorry for an outmanned Madagascar. It was like men v children out there.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

South Africs nko?
I am happy
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Dammy wrote:South Africs nko?
They can qualify tomorrow with a draw away to Libya
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Did Guinea-Bissau qualify?

I saw them on telly jumping up and down after grabbing a last-minute-of-added-on-time equalizer against Mozambique (with the assistant ref blowing what seemed an obvious offsides call on the play).
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

Gotti wrote:Did Guinea-Bissau qualify?

I saw them on telly jumping up and down after grabbing a last-minute-of-added-on-time equalizer against Mozambique (with the assistant ref blowing what seemed an obvious offsides call on the play).
Yes,they top their group with 9pts.
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Enugu II wrote:
mystic wrote:
1. Egypt (HOST)
2. Senegal
3. Madagascar
4. Morocco
5. Cameroon
6. Mali
7. Burundi
8. Algeria
9. Nigeria
10. Ghana
11. Kenya
12. Guinea
13. Ivory Coast
14. Angola
15. Mauritania
16. Tunisia
17. Uganda

ELIMINATED SURPRISINGLY

1. Zambia
2. Gabon
3. Burkina Faso

Mystic,

Watching some of these teams, you got to respect Senegal as perhaps the best team out there today. They have everything -- speed, physicality, and technical ability everywhere. These guys knock thier opponents down with a shift of the shoulder and step on them when the ref isn't looking. I felt sorry for an outmanned Madagascar. It was like men v children out there.
True. Although I don't think they are the most cerebral team in the tournament.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Disappointed Zambia did not make it. They look like they were building a solid team back in 2016/2017.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

bret- hart wrote:Disappointed Zambia did not make it. They look like they were building a solid team back in 2016/2017.
Yes. They had a very exciting U20 team.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Kako wrote:
Gotti wrote:Did Guinea-Bissau qualify?

Yes,they top their group with 9pts.
Thanks. I missed both Guinea-Bissau and Namibia. I will add them to the list.
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Something needs to be done about the jersey color clash. Take today's match going between Congo and Liberia, their uniform sort of clash as both are wearing predominately red uniform
with the only difference being Congo has a blue color in the middle of their jersey. Yesterday was worse between Senegal and their opponent. They both wore orange only that the shades were different.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Its a Goal wrote:Something needs to be done about the jersey color clash. Take today's match going between Congo and Liberia, their uniform sort of clash as both are wearing predominately red uniform
with the only difference being Congo has a blue color in the middle of their jersey. Yesterday was worse between Senegal and their opponent. They both wore orange only that the shades were different.
IAG,

Congo's jersey is predominantly blue and I really do not think it is a conflict. However, I understand your point because I felt same way watching Ivory Coast yesterday with all orange and their opponents (Rwanda) with all yellow.
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

[color=brown]Enugu II[/color] wrote:
Its a Goal wrote: Something needs to be done about the jersey color clash. Take today's match going between Congo and Liberia, their uniform sort of clash as both are wearing predominately red uniform
IAG,

Congo's jersey is predominantly blue and I really do not think it is a conflict. However, I understand your point because I felt same way watching Ivory Coast yesterday with all orange and their opponents (Rwanda) with all yellow.
Yeah, my mistake on the teams mix-up. Red won by Congo really clashes with that of Liberia as it is the same shade. It gets confusing. I hope CAF addresses this matter before the tourney starts.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

This Tanzanian team under Amuneke can play ooo! See speed and passes. Na real wa oo! Seeing huge crowds at some of these games e.g. in Tanzania/Uganda and Congo/Liberia shows that it isn't poor qual;it soccer (as some claim) that is leading to poor turn outs. It is simply about promoting the game.
Last edited by Enugu II on Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

damn see goal

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

bret- hart wrote:damn see goal
They have been playing on fever pitch and deserve it. Fantastic play!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

These Tanzanian players should be tested. I swear. They cannot keep up this fever pitch style with high speed passes unless they are on some stuff. Just saying.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Enugu II wrote:These Tanzanian players should be tested. I swear. They cannot keep up this fever pitch style with high speed passes unless they are on some stuff. Just saying.

They seemed to have dropped In intensity. They need to keep up the pace and get a 2nd goal.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

bret- hart wrote:
Enugu II wrote:These Tanzanian players should be tested. I swear. They cannot keep up this fever pitch style with high speed passes unless they are on some stuff. Just saying.

They seemed to have dropped In intensity. They need to keep up the pace and get a 2nd goal.
bret-hart,

That intensity was crazy. No human can keep that style up for 45 minutes. It was ridiculous and it clearly unsettled Uganda. Imagine facing that type of style. They have to be careful that they do not run out of steam.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Tanzania up 2-0
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Tanzania has one of the most in form African strikers at the moment. His name is Mbwana Samatta. He starred for Mazembe before moving to Genk or Ghent a few years ago. Think he’s hit 30 in all competitions for club this season.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

3-0 up