Why did MANU let Memphis go, and Arsenal let Gnabry go?

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Why did MANU let Memphis go, and Arsenal let Gnabry go?

Post by ohsee »

cic old boy wrote:
kofi86 wrote: van Dijk is a very good player. Most central defenders will be exposed at one point when they face speedy forwards with tight control. I mean van Dijk faced that very same speedy Gnabry in the CL or Sané in the CL last season and was not exposed.
Sane is mainly speedy. I don't trust his control and his decision-making.
Even if your questionable point about Sane is true, you ignored his other point that Gnabry was not able to dribble and outfox van Dijk in two CL games.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

I only saw the highlights and it looked like a cracker.

Just to be clear, Gnabry did not go past Van Dijk for the goal.

CIC, this one's for you.... :D
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

ohsee wrote: Chief, most of the footie I watch is on BeIN Sports in Arabic, so it has nothing to do with what they say. I thought van Dijk was outstanding even when he was at Southhampton. :idea:

The people who pay huge sums for these people are not just internet talkers with no investment in whether they lose money. They have an entire staff analyzing and watching these players and watching hundreds of videos before they make a decision to invest millions.

Your opinion is just your opinion, one of millions from people who have no investment in their opinions. You can say whatever you like without consequence or cost. You can even say, if you like, that John Stones is a better defender than van Dijk. Next week, we'll all forget that you said it, and it costs you nothing.

Van Dijk and Allison have made a HUGE difference in Liverpool's defence this season, and anyone who followed Liverpool last season and this season knows this. Allison makes mistakes. I have not seen van Dijk make a mistake for Liverpool this season, so you can guess where the real change has happened. You don't see it? That's probably why you are not making some of those millions analyzing players for the big clubs, and you are sitting at home like me voicing any opinion that has no consequence, opinions that don't cost you anything.

By the way, Varane was unable to "nick the ball off" the nimble Ajax forwards. :lol: And you spoil your case for being a insightful footie observer by comparing van Dijk to Terry.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Do you know how much of the transfer fee is inflated to cover the agent's "commission" which includes egunje for coaches? Don't judge quality by transfer fee oh!

Liverpool have got a decent goalie and cut down on silly mistakes, esp at set-pieces - not surprising considering Van Dijk is dominant in the air.
http://www.naijiant.com/
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

The YeyeMan wrote:I only saw the highlights and it looked like a cracker.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Some of the people on your list couldn't even dribble as babies. :taunt: What Van Dijk does well is block space. He tends to let his partner go in and then cover the space when the attacker pushes the ball too far.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

cic old boy wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: Do you know how much of the transfer fee is inflated to cover the agent's "commission" which includes egunje for coaches? Don't judge quality by transfer fee oh!

Liverpool have got a decent goalie and cut down on silly mistakes, esp at set-pieces - not surprising considering Van Dijk is dominant in the air.
:lol: :lol:
See diversion. Whether the transfer fee is inflated or not, the fact remains that the business enterprise called Liverpool were willing to pay 75 million pounds for this "average" defender. It's a lot of money, and things changed considerably after he showed up. Everybody has seen it.

The problem here is that your irrational dislike of the EPL does not permit you see clearly what everyone else can see. Van Dijk is a fantastic defender, acknowledged by all. Maybe if you had said he is not the best defender in the world, as danfo driver said, I would have no problems with your opinion. But you said he is AVERAGE. :rotf: As mate would say, abeg please. :lol: Dejan Lovren is average, Joel Matip is average, Joe Gomez is average, and if Liverpool were looking for "average" they would have stuck with this squad, or gone out to buy Somebody Nobody from Burnley for 5 million pounds :lol: .

As for "silly mistakes" Liverpool still makes them, and all the other defenders but van Dijk make them. When there is a breakaway, and any other Liverpool defender is in the way, I have no confidence the person will stop the player. But when it is "The Colossus", I just smile and say, "For where, for where, for where?" and sure enough, van Dijk just calmly--always calmly--takes the ball off the player's foot or bumps him away from danger. I never have such confidence with Varane or Ramos, and I am a Real Madrid fan. :lol:

It is clear you do not watch Liverpool on the regular. Please do. This season, van Dijk has shown no weakness. None.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

ohsee wrote:
cic old boy wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: Do you know how much of the transfer fee is inflated to cover the agent's "commission" which includes egunje for coaches? Don't judge quality by transfer fee oh!

See diversion. Whether the transfer fee is inflated or not, the fact remains that the business enterprise called Liverpool were willing to pay 75 million pounds for this "average" defender. It's a lot of money, and things changed considerably after he showed up. Everybody has seen it.

The problem here is that your irrational dislike of the EPL does not permit you see clearly what everyone else can see. Van Dijk is a fantastic defender, acknowledged by all. Maybe if you had said he is not the best defender in the world, as danfo driver said, I would have no problems with your opinion. But you said he is AVERAGE. :rotf: As mate would say, abeg please. :lol: Dejan Lovren is average, Joel Matip is average, Joe Gomez is average, and if Liverpool were looking for "average" they would have stuck with this squad, or gone out to buy Somebody Nobody from Burnley for 5 million pounds :lol: .

As for "silly mistakes" Liverpool still makes them, and all the other defenders but van Dijk make them. When there is a breakaway, and any other Liverpool defender is in the way, I have no confidence the person will stop the player. But when it is "The Colossus", I just smile and say, "For where, for where, for where?" and sure enough, van Dijk just calmly--always calmly--takes the ball off the player's foot or bumps him away from danger. I never have such confidence with Varane or Ramos, and I am a Real Madrid fan. :lol:

It is clear you do not watch Liverpool on the regular. Please do. This season, van Dijk has shown no weakness. None.
Hear hear! Van Dijk is not average, anybody who says that and then hypes average jam bodies like Bailly can’t be taken seriously...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

cic old boy wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:I only saw the highlights and it looked like a cracker.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Some of the people on your list couldn't even dribble as babies. :taunt: What Van Dijk does well is block space. He tends to let his partner go in and then cover the space when the attacker pushes the ball too far.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
It is now clear that cic has never actually watched Liverpool this season. :lol: This should help you cic :lol: I know in typical CE fashion, you won't accept what is before your eyes, but watch this, and respect the king of defenders this season. :thumbs:
[/video]
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

danfo driver wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:Joachim Low will forever regret not taking Sane to the WC. That kid is class! :clap: :clap:
:lol: Thats a poor persons mentality. Successful people do not have regrets. You make a calculated and well thought-out decision. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it fails.

Only people with a weak mentality have regrets, because they do not make calculated decisions. They jump into every decision without thinking and hope for the best. And when they fail, they start crying "had I known!" :rotf: :rotf:

Low is a world cup winner and very successful man. I am certain he thought about it and made a well analyzed decision last summer.
That is a bit of a blanket statement, and the rest of your post is riddled with bumper-sticker cliches like "Only people with a weak mentality have regrets".

Low goofed big time by not taking Sane to the last WC and he knows it, well reasoned decision or not.

Wha choo looking at?!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:Joachim Low will forever regret not taking Sane to the WC. That kid is class! :clap: :clap:
:lol: Thats a poor persons mentality. Successful people do not have regrets. You make a calculated and well thought-out decision. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it fails.

Only people with a weak mentality have regrets, because they do not make calculated decisions. They jump into every decision without thinking and hope for the best. And when they fail, they start crying "had I known!" :rotf: :rotf:

Low is a world cup winner and very successful man. I am certain he thought about it and made a well analyzed decision last summer.
That is a bit of a blanket statement, and the rest of your post is riddled with bumper-sticker cliches like "Only people with a weak mentality have regrets".

Low goofed big time by not taking Sane to the last WC and he knows it, well reasoned decision or not.

One good game for Germany in 3yrs and the manager, a world cup winner goofed?

Please....
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

Sane played like the Sane we know yesterday. :thumbs: Low is probably whispering in his heart of hearts, "Hmmm, maybe I should have taken this boy oh. Why did I not see that he can tap leda like dis? Was I blinded by his blinding blackness?" :lol:
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

ohsee wrote: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: In case you don't know, football is a different kind of "business enterprise". There is more money than sense sloshing around in the EPL. Even Man City refused to pay 75m for Van Dijk.

As for alleged "irrational dislike", there are solid ballers in the EPL that I rate - Mane, KDB, etc. Varane and Ramos are better than Van Dijk. Go and watch Liverpool's last game. Van Dijk was at fault for the Fulham goal.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

ohsee wrote: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
It is now clear that cic has never actually watched Liverpool this season. :lol: This should help you cic :lol: I know in typical CE fashion, you won't accept what is before your eyes, but watch this, and respect the king of defenders this season. :thumbs:
[/video]
:lol: :lol: :lol: I can show you a lowlights reel like this from Terry. I told you the man just blocks space and that's 99% of what he was doing in this clip.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

cic old boy wrote: :lol: :lol: In case you don't know, football is a different kind of "business enterprise". There is more money than sense sloshing around in the EPL. Even Man City refused to pay 75m for Van Dijk.

As for alleged "irrational dislike", there are solid ballers in the EPL that I rate - Mane, KDB, etc. Varane and Ramos are better than Van Dijk. Go and watch Liverpool's last game. Van Dijk was at fault for the Fulham goal.
Of course, you, great armchair football critic that you are, have more football sense than the people who put their money, jobs, and reputations on the line. I wonder why you have not made more money from your infallible punditry. You could be making millions even on TV just talking. :lol:

I have told you that your mistake is in calling VVD "average" a COMPLETELY unreasonable assessment of a thoroughly outstanding defender. You can easily say, "OK, I overreached, and he is not average, but I think he is over rated." That's more reasonable, though still questionable. :D
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

cic old boy wrote:
ohsee wrote: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
[/video]
:lol: :lol: :lol: I can show you a lowlights reel like this from Terry. I told you the man just blocks space and that's 99% of what he was doing in this clip.
:rotf: :rotf:
Right. Up CE. :thumbs: Never concede that you are wrong, never back down, not even make a small shift that will save your backside. :rotf: Did you watch ANY of the video at all? :lol:
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

My God Van Dijk average defender?Ok ooooh,i will take him over 99.99% of defenders playing the game,since he join Liverpool they have had the best defense in England.
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

ohsee wrote:
cic old boy wrote:Memphis and Van Dijk are average players and epitomise the mediocrity of the modern game, where unbelievable riches come your way even if you are nothing special. Memphis used to show up at reserve team games at Manure in his Rolls Royce Phantom - the sort of wheels you would have had to be a Pele/Cruyff to have back in the day. Van Dijk is so overrated it's untrue. I remember arguing with my friend that Varane is a better defender. I said Van Dijk will be exposed when he comes across a speedy forward with tight control.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Huh? You gotta be jokin' mate. Van Dijk may be tired after playing all those games for Liverpool, but he certainly is no average player. Every player, including the greatest, is allowed the sort of one bad moment that van Dijk had yesterday. Even Maldini was once embarrassed by Yekini, and World Footballer of the Year Cannavaro was made to look a fool TWICE by "Garri Master" Ike Uche. :idea:

You can argue that van Dijk is not as good as they say he is--which is your opinion by the way--but not that he is average. Come on. Also Memphis is not average for his national team. Look at his record--8 goals in 11 games in the last two years, and a holy terror in nearly every game he plays. Abeg o.

By the way, I would pick van Dijk on his current form over Varane ANY DAY. Van Dijk plays with scrubs; Varane plays with Rolls Royces, both for Real and for France.
18 year old Kanu Nwankwo 'disgraced' Baresi in CL final that Ajax won.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

ohsee wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

Sane played like the Sane we know yesterday. :thumbs: Low is probably whispering in his heart of hearts, "Hmmm, maybe I should have taken this boy oh. Why did I not see that he can tap leda like dis? Was I blinded by his blinding blackness?" :lol:
He actually admitted that it was a big mistake not to take Sane to WC.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

txj wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

One good game for Germany in 3yrs and the manager, a world cup winner goofed?

Please....
Abeg stop with the world cup winner bullshiat. Homey the Clown :lol: would have won the WC with that 2014 German squad. Anyone who takes the likes of Mario Gomez :lol: to the WC deserves everything he gets. And before I forget abeg go siddon.

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

zee wrote:
ohsee wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

He actually admitted that it was a big mistake not to take Sane to WC.
Oga Zee how can you be making such statements hia? :woot: :woot: Please in the future check with our CE ITKs before posting facts. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:mrgreen:

Wha choo looking at?!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

Unfortunately, you can't understand it. Hopefully, one day, you will. In the meantime, keep spending your time, crying "had I known," while your successful mates are conquering and overcoming. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Look at you here, on Cybereagles, writing "epistle" and insisting that Low goofed, beating your chest! While, Low, the successful man is somewhere in Germany in between a woman's legs. Tomorrow, he go enter pitch, shout a few instructions here and there! By Friday, kpa kam! 200K go enter e account! Meanwhile, by Friday, you'll be thinking about mortgage and end of month bills. Continue! :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

ohsee wrote:
cic old boy wrote:
ohsee wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Huh? You gotta be jokin' mate. Van Dijk may be tired after playing all those games for Liverpool, but he certainly is no average player. Every player, including the greatest, is allowed the sort of one bad moment that van Dijk had yesterday. Even Maldini was once embarrassed by Yekini, and World Footballer of the Year Cannavaro was made to look a fool TWICE by "Garri Master" Ike Uche. :idea:

You can argue that van Dijk is not as good as they say he is--which is your opinion by the way--but not that he is average. Come on. Also Memphis is not average for his national team. Look at his record--8 goals in 11 games in the last two years, and a holy terror in nearly every game he plays. Abeg o.

By the way, I would pick van Dijk on his current form over Varane ANY DAY. Van Dijk plays with scrubs; Varane plays with Rolls Royces, both for Real and for France.
:lol: :lol: Nna, like I say to many of my friends, watch English footie with the volume off and you will be asking what the fuss is about with many of the over-hyped players. Van Dijk is an average player, who is strong in the air and can pass the ball better than your average English centre-back. I didn't reach this conclusion based on last night. In fact, I was saying it long b/4 last night.

Maldini was great, so was Cannavaro. But the best Italian defenders I saw were Nesta and Baresi. Varane is better than Van Dijk eight days a week. I see you said "current form". I form opinions about players over a longer period of time. I've been watching Varane from when he was 18. Van Dijk is loved in England b/c they love their big, straight-back centre-backs who "clear their lines", block spaces and are useful at corners. Terry did all that. Nothing special. They usually get exposed by speedy tricksters. Varane usually matches them for speed and has the guile to nick the ball off them.
Chief, most of the footie I watch is on BeIN Sports in Arabic, so it has nothing to do with what they say. I thought van Dijk was outstanding even when he was at Southhampton. :idea:

The people who pay huge sums for these people are not just internet talkers with no investment in whether they lose money. They have an entire staff analyzing and watching these players and watching hundreds of videos before they make a decision to invest millions.

Your opinion is just your opinion, one of millions from people who have no investment in their opinions. You can say whatever you like without consequence or cost. You can even say, if you like, that John Stones is a better defender than van Dijk. Next week, we'll all forget that you said it, and it costs you nothing.

Van Dijk and Allison have made a HUGE difference in Liverpool's defence this season, and anyone who followed Liverpool last season and this season knows this. Allison makes mistakes. I have not seen van Dijk make a mistake for Liverpool this season, so you can guess where the real change has happened. You don't see it? That's probably why you are not making some of those millions analyzing players for the big clubs, and you are sitting at home like me voicing any opinion that has no consequence, opinions that don't cost you anything.

By the way, Varane was unable to "nick the ball off" the nimble Ajax forwards. :lol: And you spoil your case for being a insightful footie observer by comparing van Dijk to Terry.
Both of the highest quality players who I admire. We know their strengths how about weaknesses?

Varane has speed, he can catch pigeons and although a good positional sense means he rarely needs his speed to get out of trouble, he often uses it to cover for slower team mates. But he is not a born leader and organiser, so he prefers for others to lead and organise the defence. It must be said this part of his game has improved with age and experience. Varane plays best with a leader and organiser (Ramos, Umtiti). He is weak with crosses, although I think he will sort that out if he plays in the EPL. He is a warrior, he can look quiet, like a choirboy, but he is sly and nasty, has no qualms with getting hurt and he knows the game. He anticipates, reads it and sorts it.

Van Dyke is a true leader, organiser and warrior. He can get exposed when in one on one situations, hence his yellow cards counts. If Gnabry was not in the box, VVD would have fouled him. He is not the quickest on a straight line or turn but makes up for this with good positioning sense and is very quick to get tight to avoid being turned.

I'd have both because they will compliment each other to make a fantastic defensive pair. When I analyse both, I really cannot separate them. It really will come down to need. They are currently my preferred defensive pair, although Umtiti runs them close.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Waffiman wrote:
ohsee wrote:
cic old boy wrote:
ohsee wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: Nna, like I say to many of my friends, watch English footie with the volume off and you will be asking what the fuss is about with many of the over-hyped players. Van Dijk is an average player, who is strong in the air and can pass the ball better than your average English centre-back. I didn't reach this conclusion based on last night. In fact, I was saying it long b/4 last night.

Maldini was great, so was Cannavaro. But the best Italian defenders I saw were Nesta and Baresi. Varane is better than Van Dijk eight days a week. I see you said "current form". I form opinions about players over a longer period of time. I've been watching Varane from when he was 18. Van Dijk is loved in England b/c they love their big, straight-back centre-backs who "clear their lines", block spaces and are useful at corners. Terry did all that. Nothing special. They usually get exposed by speedy tricksters. Varane usually matches them for speed and has the guile to nick the ball off them.
Chief, most of the footie I watch is on BeIN Sports in Arabic, so it has nothing to do with what they say. I thought van Dijk was outstanding even when he was at Southhampton. :idea:

Both of the highest quality players who I admire. We know their strengths how about weaknesses?

Varane has speed, he can catch pigeons and although a good positional sense means he rarely needs his speed to get out of trouble, he often uses it to cover for slower team mates. But he is not a born leader and organiser, so he prefers for others to lead and organise the defence. It must be said this part of his game has improved with age and experience. Varane plays best with a leader and organiser (Ramos, Umtiti). He is weak with crosses, although I think he will sort that out if he plays in the EPL. He is a warrior, he can look quiet, like a choirboy, but he is sly and nasty, has no qualms with getting hurt and he knows the game. He anticipates, reads it and sorts it.

Van Dyke is a true leader, organiser and warrior. He can get exposed when in one on one situations, hence his yellow cards counts. If Gnabry was not in the box, VVD would have fouled him. He is not the quickest on a straight line or turn but makes up for this with good positioning sense and is very quick to get tight to avoid being turned.

I'd have both because they will compliment each other to make a fantastic defensive pair. When I analyse both, I really cannot separate them. It really will come down to need. They are currently my preferred defensive pair, although Umtiti runs them close.
Always talking sense my guy Waffi! :clap: :clap:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

ohsee wrote: :lol: :lol:
Of course, you, great armchair football critic that you are, have more football sense than the people who put their money, jobs, and reputations on the line. I wonder why you have not made more money from your infallible punditry. You could be making millions even on TV just talking. :lol:

I have told you that your mistake is in calling VVD "average" a COMPLETELY unreasonable assessment of a thoroughly outstanding defender. You can easily say, "OK, I overreached, and he is not average, but I think he is over rated." That's more reasonable, though still questionable. :D
:lol: Nna, no kidding, I’m always suspicious of the footie knowledge of those of you that don’t live in countries that eat and breathe football. Very few pundits on telly say anything worth listening to. The exceptions are people like Oliseh, Seedorf or Cruyff. The rest are hired for a variety of reasons ranging from being famous, attracting female viewers, controversy, good PR skills, being golfing buddies, etc. I hardly ever listen to them. I don’t need anyone to tell me what I can see.

Van Dijk is an average player, who is dominant in the air and good at blocking spaces. Roy Hodgson once said that if you gave him a pub team for 6 months, he could teach them how to block spaces. It would make them very hard to beat until they come up against tricky forwards. Terry was like that – and some people would fight me if I called him average.

People like Terry and Van Dijk look good in today’s football without that many forwards that are wizards on the ball. Imagine what a Del Piero, Van Basten, Romario or the Real Ronaldo would have done with them.

I watched your video and it’s funny that what should be “highlights” confirms what I was saying. If you watch Liverpool regularly like I do, you would see the mistakes that don’t always get punished. The Gnabry goal is just the beginning. When Van Dijk starts getting turned inside out by better forwards, don't forget where you heard it first.