JJ on the Signature Dribble

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
JJ on the Signature Dribble

Post by Enugu II »

I am better than Thierry Henry—Okocha (Culed from NewAgeSports)
…Rates himself as the trick-master of the premiership
Super Eagles skipper, Austin Jay-Jay Okocha has declared himself the trick-master of the Premiership, telling Footballer of the Year rival, Thierry Henry: "You may have more pace - but I've got the skills!"

"Henry has great qualities and without any doubt is on top of his game now - he is a nightmare for any defender. He has improved every year and is wonderful to watch. I haven't got his pace, which is phenomenal, although I suppose he hasn't got some of my tricks. You can't have everything," he said.

Okocha said unlike Henry, “I am glad I was 15 before I had any proper coaching. That is late compared with the Academy system, but we didn't have the background of football you have in Europe.”

He added that; "From an early age it was all about fun and pleasure. It wasn't about winning at all costs and being under pressure to perform as a young boy. Now I am professional I still carry that attitude. We had no coaches or managers, I simply used to play with my friends and that's where I learned my skills - I was always trying something new."

The midfield maestro said that his style has continued to be the envy of world players and claimed; "I like to entertain because that is what fans want to see. I always play with a smile because as a boy I only played for fun and pleasure. I still practise my skills whenever I can.”

Appraising his dribbling style he said; "People always ask me which is my favourite and I guess it's the one where I drag the ball to my left with my right foot, then whip my leg over and then take the ball back again. I created that one and a few people try it now - but that's definitely the Jay-Jay trick."

He disclosed that stoicism has remained his secret unlike other players who "when things are going badly, a lot of them become nervous and forget the most important thing of all - that this is all about football. They put themselves under pressure and forget what they are good at. I try to avoid that and keep my head clear.
Ijapa
Egg
Egg

Post by Ijapa »

Enugu II,
I want to c where u read the story - Oga is too humble to come out with such
You future depends on your dreams: so go to sleep
Enugu II

Post by Enugu II »

Ijapa:

The source is right there on the story. All you need to do is check out the New Age site, my brother.
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

Ijapa, the point is that Jay Jay didn't even claim to be better than Henry. It's all coming from the spin doctor journalist. Here's the crux of Jay Jay's argument:

Henry has great qualities and without any doubt is on top of his game now - he is a nightmare for any defender. He has improved every year and is wonderful to watch. I haven't got his pace, which is phenomenal, although I suppose he hasn't got some of my tricks. You can't have everything
Eagle Winged

Post by Eagle Winged »

This article is complete and utter baloney.
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

Misleading headline!!

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

:?: :?: :?: :?: :x :evil:
From an early age it was all about fun and pleasure. It wasn't about winning at all costs and being under pressure to perform as a young boy. Now I am professional I still carry that attitude.
BIG JAY
Egg
Egg

Post by BIG JAY »

Ijapa wrote:Enugu II,
I haven't read this article but then i strongly believe it. This statement is true of Jay Jay. I knew him in Enugu, when he was playing for Nike Grammar School. He really played for fun and invented new styles all the time. His utmost ambition then was to play for Enugu Rangers, which he then refered to as "ngers". Ironically he ended up playing for Rangers for only half a season before he whent pro. I know him on one-on-one bases... no BSing.
Big Jay(ikenga)
"pepper wey no pepper...., na Egusi"
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

whoever wrote the title to this article should be publicly flogged
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

This is pathetic, well incase the circus act don't know here is the big difference between him and Henry:

Henry : EPL honors, WC honors and ECL honors
JJ: No club honors, disastrous circus show in games of his life against the likes of Liberia, Sierra Leone and Sudan in the GWG...what is next....
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
voodoo
Egg
Egg

Post by voodoo »

Read am again, he is still humble. He gave Henry his props.
SUYA

Post by SUYA »

Image....no comment needed.
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

BIG JAY wrote:
I haven't read this article but then i strongly believe it. This statement is true of Jay Jay. I knew him in Enugu, when he was playing for Nike Grammar School. He really played for fun and invented new styles all the time. His utmost ambition then was to play for Enugu Rangers, which he then refered to as "ngers". Ironically he ended up playing for Rangers for only half a season before he whent pro. I know him on one-on-one bases... no BSing.
Big Jay(ikenga)
And your point being????

FYI, I know Jay Jay on one on one basis too. In fact, Jay Jay used to play with my two cousins - Lucky and Kene, just before he went to Rangers.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

I also know Jay-Jay on a one-on-one basis (whatever that means).
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

What! you mean he is not better dan Zindane+Rivaldo+Raul+Figo combined...

make dem no let PapaK, Chima, Suya and THEOphilus FANta see dis wan or else dem go close down di site with their bombardment of emails...

Ps. I bet Oga has won more MOM awards than Henry! PapaK, no be so?

Up Naija
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
PapaK
Egg
Egg
x

Post by PapaK »

Cellular wrote:What!

Ps. I bet Oga has won more MOM awards than Henry! PapaK, no be so?

Up Naija
Oga Cellular, na so o! Afterall, statistics no dey lie.
Never enter into a quarrel with an id!ot, lest he drag you down to his level and then beat you up with experience.
BIG JAY
Egg
Egg

Post by BIG JAY »

Cyber Saint wrote:
BIG JAY wrote:
Big Jay(ikenga)
And your point being????

FYI, I know Jay Jay on one on one basis too. In fact, Jay Jay used to play with my two cousins - Lucky and Kene, just before he went to Rangers.
the point I'm trying to convey is that the story is a true history of Jay Jay. It couldn't have been formulated. That's a fact. I remenber the tricks he used to pull off those days at phoenix(YOU must know Phoenix pitch at Enugu)during the high school games. so the article says it all about Jay Jay. Meanwhile, just out of curiocity what are the full names of those cousins of yours and at what level did they play with Jay Jay??
Big Jay(ikenga)
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

Big Jay, their last name is Onyekwe. You might know them....they live in Abakpa and used to play at the Phoenix field also. And I think Lucky went to Nike grammer school.
Those two chaps are supposed to be playing pro soccer today but it's just one of those things.
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

its all a case of buying two mudus of garri and expecting to eat pounded yam when u reach home
Dog Bruno
Egg
Egg

Post by Dog Bruno »

BIG JAY wrote:
Big Jay(ikenga)

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

You be real Enugu Offspring.....that "Ngers" thing got me tripping, and fumbling.

Please no let THE FAN see that one o...one of you go end up for bending ground
You are Your Own Dog
BIG JAY
Egg
Egg

Post by BIG JAY »

Cyber Saint wrote:Big Jay, their last name is Onyekwe. You might know them....they live in Abakpa and used to play at the Phoenix field also. And I think Lucky went to Nike grammer school.
Those two chaps are supposed to be playing pro soccer today but it's just one of those things.
I think I remenber those Onyekwes. That last name rings two bells.
There are lots of wasted talents in Naija which I blame on lack of family support. Even I could have done well too, judging by the kind of skills I had growing up. But hey, it's all good.

BIG JAY (IKENGA)
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

BIG JAY, I agree with you. But it also got something to do with our general disorganization as a society.
I know for a fact that if I were born and raised here in the States, I'll be a pro soccer player today in one shape or form. Back home, you need more than talent to have a breakthrough, unfortunately.