Were qualifying rules bent for Cameroon?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Were qualifying rules bent for Cameroon?

Post by bamenda boy »

I heard someone make an argument that once you were no longer able to host, it meant automatic disqualification. That it happened to Kenya back in 2000. Can someone clarify this for please?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Were qualifying rules bent for Cameroon?

Post by vancity eagle »

Probably because back then the host was not involved in the qualification series like Cameroon was.
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

vancity eagle wrote:Probably because back then the host was not involved in the qualification series like Cameroon was.
I mean in the sense that once you were stripped off hosting rights for whatever reason, it meant automatic disqualification.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

I believe Vancity Eagle answered your question.
bamenda boy wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:Probably because back then the host was not involved in the qualification series like Cameroon was.
I mean in the sense that once you were stripped off hosting rights for whatever reason, it meant automatic disqualification.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Otitokoro wrote:I believe Vancity Eagle answered your question.
bamenda boy wrote:
Simple.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Again, forget about qualification series. Once you lost your ability to host, did it mean automatic disqualification? Eg the recent case of Morocco and the Ebola crises?
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

bamenda boy wrote:Again, forget about qualification series. Once you lost your ability to host, did it mean automatic disqualification? Eg the recent case of Morocco and the Ebola crises?
We cannot forget qualification series as that's part of what answers your question.

1. Just like in the case of Kenya that you first tested, Morocco did not participate in the qualifiers (random googling, correct me if I'm wrong). So we already have precedence that explains Morocco's situation in 2015.
2. In addition, Morocco failed to confirm hosting by the deadline stipulated by CAF because of Ebola concerns. They initiated their inability to host. CAF did not find them unsuitable, so the decision did not come from CAF.
3. Rules changed, Cameroon participated in the 2019 qualifiers and came 2nd in their group. Enough to qualify.
4. Cameroon did not pull out of hosting, CAF ruled on that. So, it was CAF's call, not Cameroon's.

So as you have seen with Cameroon in 2019, losing your ability to host does not mean automatic disqualification.

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

YemiBrazil wrote:
bamenda boy wrote:Again, forget about qualification series. Once you lost your ability to host, did it mean automatic disqualification? Eg the recent case of Morocco and the Ebola crises?
We cannot forget qualification series as that's part of what answers your question.

1. Just like in the case of Kenya that you first tested, Morocco did not participate in the qualifiers (random googling, correct me if I'm wrong). So we already have precedence that explains Morocco's situation in 2015.
2. In addition, Morocco failed to confirm hosting by the deadline stipulated by CAF because of Ebola concerns. They initiated their inability to host. CAF did not find them unsuitable, so the decision did not come from CAF.
3. Rules changed, Cameroon participated in the 2019 qualifiers and came 2nd in their group. Enough to qualify.
4. Cameroon did not pull out of hosting, CAF ruled on that. So, it was CAF's call, not Cameroon's.

So as you have seen with Cameroon in 2019, losing your ability to host does not mean automatic disqualification.
i always wondered why people 'ask questions' when they think they already have the answer.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

bamenda boy wrote:
VE's answer is incorrect, I believe. I am not too sure of Morocco now but Libya was involved for sure in qualifiers when they were declared hosts.

Morocco was stripped of hosting rights and disqualified. The difference, I believe, that saved Cameroon is the fact that Cameroon's disqualification was arguable and actionable. Cameroon won the bid for a 16-team tournament but a year or two to the tournament Cameroon was forced to accommodate a 24-team tournament. Cameroon was then stripped when they could not host a 24-team tournament.

IMO, CAF realizes that it had part responsibility for Cameroon's failure and, therefore, could not disqualify Cameroon even though Comoros filed a case for such disqualification. I also believe that was what forced CAF to agree to give Cameroon the rights for hosting 2021 even though such decision is not the best if you ask me.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Enugu II wrote:
bamenda boy wrote:
VE's answer is incorrect, I believe. I am not too sure of Morocco now but Libya was involved for sure in qualifiers when they were declared hosts.

Morocco was stripped of hosting rights and disqualified. The difference, I believe, that saved Cameroon is the fact that Cameroon's disqualification was arguable and actionable. Cameroon won the bid for a 16-team tournament but a year or two to the tournament Cameroon was forced to accommodate a 24-team tournament. Cameroon was then stripped when they could not host a 24-team tournament.

IMO, CAF realizes that it had part responsibility for Cameroon's failure and, therefore, could not disqualify Cameroon even though Comoros filed a case for such disqualification. I also believe that was what forced CAF to agree to give Cameroon the rights for hosting 2021 even though such decision is not the best if you ask me.
KPOM you answer it well,Cameroon was still fighting to host it but was told they are not ready,they took it off them.If Cameroon decline not to host then they would have been suspend or disqualify.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Enugu II wrote:
bamenda boy wrote:

Prof, thanks for the clarification - I found more details including CAF's regulations on this on https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/comoros ... o3hv1gl66w

However, your assertion on Libya is incorrect. CAF stripped Libya of 2017 hosting right in August 2014. That was long before the qualifiers even started (See https://af.reuters.com/article/sportsNe ... F920140823). Libya's first qualifier for 2017 AFCON was a 1-0 away defeat to Morocco on June 12, 2015.

Morocco was not just stripped and disqualified from the tournament, they were also banned from two additional tournaments among other penalties, a decision that was later rescinded.

bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

This was CAFs reason.

https://www.brila.net/caf-cameroon-will ... 019-afcon/

Now Comoros, who are third in Group B of the qualifiers behind Cameroon, want CAF to apply its rule that bans the national team of a country that has lost hosting rights.

However, the continent’s football governing body explains why Cameroon has been exempted.

“The penalty component was not applied because some factors were taken into account,” said Constant Omari, CAF 2nd vice president.

“Here is a country that has mobilized huge investment for the tournament. But unfortunately, there are uncertainties related to the progress of construction sites. So, we will not punish them twice.

“As things stand Cameroon is qualified. But if Comoros win in the last qualifying match, the result will play. Cameroon is not excluded. They have to qualify on the field,” he said.

If Cameroon does not lose the final match to be played at home against Comoros they will sail through.