2019 ANC EAGLES WOULD HAMMER 1994 EAGLES 4-0

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: 2019 ANC EAGLES WOULD HAMMER 1994 EAGLES 4-0

Post by mcal »

ohenhen1 wrote:That 94 team was stacked, underachieved at the world cup. We should have beaten Italy. 2 years later added Kanu Nwankwo, Celestine Babayaro, went to Atlanta and won the Olympic Gold.
...mental fatigue cost us the match v Italy. The quick freekick they failed to protect, Egueavon was the culprit for the winning pk. Also the match vs Argentina Finidi failed to mark or track back for the quick free kick.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

walesvilla wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:That 94 team was stacked, underachieved at the world cup. We should have beaten Italy. 2 years later added Kanu Nwankwo, Celestine Babayaro, went to Atlanta and won the Olympic Gold.
agreed they definitely under performed at Wcup. but i think it was manly down to lack of wcup experience at the time
Good point.
Wait! I forgot....

Nigerians do not believe in 'experience'.
Abi Fabio :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 2019 ANC EAGLES WILL HAMMER EAGLES 4-0

Post by wiseone »

:rotf:

That 1994 team had the reigning African Footballer of the Year, the next African Footballer of the Year, the top scorer in Portugal, a player who played for the Dutch champions who then went on to win the Champions League the following Year, and played in two successive Champions League finals, and another player voted the best foreigner in the Belgian league.

Apart from Mikel, how many of the current team have played in a Champions League quarter-final, let alone win the thing?
kalani JR wrote:Sure the 1994 team are all middled aged and some are dead.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

wiseone wrote::rotf:

That 1994 team had the reigning African Footballer of the Year, the next African Footballer of the Year, the top scorer in Portugal, a player who played for the Dutch champions who then went on to win the Champions League the following Year, and played in two successive Champions League finals, and another player voted the best foreigner in the Belgian league.

Apart from Mikel, how many of the current team have played in a Champions League quarter-final, let alone win the thing?
Are you telling me Finidi at 47 will be a match for Ahmed Musa or Iwobi?
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Tobi17 wrote:Chukwueze is making the AFCON squad and you can take that to the bank, and I honestly don't see how Ihenacho will make the team if he doesn't get back to form between now and the AFCON season.

For your standby list Simon Moses shouldn't be there cause he's already a regular first 11 player already... don't forget the likes of Azubuike, Okereke, and Ozonwafor.
You don't see to understand Rorhs thinking.... This is his last chance to win a championship so he is not taking no 1 season Rookie.. he sticking to his veterans...

Dont get me wrong, I like all those young players you mentioned, but they are not eagles of today, they are eagles of tomorrow. Maybe next ANC and WC...
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Flex Swift wrote:No Victor Moses???? But we are taking Ighalo and Akpeyi ....:: anyway I don’t care I will say it I hope they both pick up injuries ruling them out of the competition.
Victor already said he is retired....
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

ohenhen1 wrote:8-0 victory for the 94 team

Rufai
Eguavon, OKafor, Okechukwu, Iroha
Findi, Oliseh, Okocha, Amunike
Amokachi, Yekini
Seriously Ohenhen…. You really believe those guys who couldn't stitch 4 passes together against a good team like Argentina and Italy will beat these modern day players ???

Of all the players you listed only 3 of them would make todays team: Finidi, Amunike, Yekini
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Do not worry. I am laughing along WITH you at the irony/wit of your first post. No wahala at all.
kalani JR wrote:
wiseone wrote::rotf:

Are you telling me Finidi at 47 will be a match for Ahmed Musa or Iwobi?
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Rufai
Amokachi, Yekini
:bump: :bump: :bump:

not a chance....I don't think you have any idea how much more skilled and advanced our players are today at this point in their careers vs those guys from the 90's !! 7 of Those guys didn't even have clubs in Europe during the 94 WC...meanwhile todays kids are regulars in the Premiership, la liga ect..
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Rufai
Amokachi, Yekini
:bump: :bump: :bump:

not a chance....I don't think you have any idea how much more skilled and advanced our players are today at this point in their careers vs those guys from the 90's !! 5 of Those guys didn't even have clubs in Europe during the 94 WC...meanwhile todays kids are regulars in the Premiership, la liga ect..
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

ohenhen1 wrote:Wilfred Agbonavbare Spain Rayo Vallecano 05/10/1966
Alloysius Agu Turkey Kayserispor 12/07/1967
Peter Rufai Portugal SC Farense 24/08/1963

Augustine Eguavoen Belgium KV Kortrijk 19/08/1965
Michael Emenalo 04/07/1965
Ben Iroha Netherlands Vitesse 29/11/1969
Stephen Keshi 31/01/1962
Chidi N'Wanu Belgium RSC Anderlecht 01/01/1967
Uche Okafor Israel FC Ashdod 08/08/1967
Uche Okechukwu Turkey Fenerbahçe 27/09/1967

Mutiu Adepoju Spain Racing Santander 22/12/1970
Efan Ekoku England Norwich City 08/06/1967
Emeka Ezeugo Denmark BK Fremad Amager 16/12/1965
Jay Jay Okocha Germany Eintracht Frankfurt 14/08/1973
Thompson Oliha 04/10/1968
Sunday Oliseh Italy AC Reggiana 14/09/1974

Daniel Amokachi Belgium Club Brugge KV 30/12/1972
Emmanuel Amunike Portugal Sporting CP 25/12/1970
Finidi George Netherlands AFC Ajax 15/04/1971
Victor Ikpeba France AS Monaco 12/06/1973
Samson Siasia France FC Nantes 14/08/1967
Rashidi Yekini Olympiakos Piräus

Successful on and off the field. Not even close.
The problem with your list is that its a farce...

Eguavon, Okafor, Oliha, keshi, Emanalo didn't even have clubs at the time of the WC...
The rest of them had very limited high level European experience with the exception of Finidi
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

The 94 team was more talented and also played better as a team. If we were to do a combined best 11 of both squads most of the players that make the 11 would be from the 94 squad. I could see a fully fit Ebuehi or Aina starting ahead of Eguaveon who was an average RB at best, and I would take Victor Moses or Chukwueze over Amuneke on the left. Though Chuwkueze is used mainly on the right, he can play comfortably on either wing. Barring injury, I predict Chuwkueze will grow to become a better player than Amunike. Other than the players I mentioned, I believe most of the combined 11 would come from the 94 team.

Most of the 94 players didn't play for big clubs in Europe, however, some of them moved to bigger teams a few/several years later. Okocha to PSG, Oliseh to Ajax then Juventus, Amunike to Barcelona, Amokachi to Everton, Rufai to Deportivo
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

olu wrote:The 94 team was more talented and also played better as a team. If we were to do a combined best 11 of both squads most of the players that make the 11 would be from the 94 squad. I could see a fully fit Ebuehi or Aina starting ahead of Eguaveon who was an average RB at best, and I would take Victor Moses or Chukwueze over Amuneke on the left. Though Chuwkueze is used mainly on the right, he can play comfortably on either wing. Barring injury, I predict Chuwkueze will grow to become a better player than Amunike. Other than the players I mentioned, I believe most of the combined 11 would come from the 94 team.

Most of the 94 players didn't play for big clubs in Europe, however, some of them moved to bigger teams a few/several years later. Okocha to PSG, Oliseh to Ajax then Juventus, Amunike to Barcelona, Amokachi to Everton, Rufai to Deportivo
Whaaaaat? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Sacrilege!
Chukwueze might evolve into a truly great, but for now he is still on a learning curve.
To compare Moses to Amuneke is blasphemy.
Amuneke and Amiesimaka are Nigeria's two greatest ever left side attacking players.
Forget!
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

olu wrote:The 94 team was more talented and also played better as a team. If we were to do a combined best 11 of both squads most of the players that make the 11 would be from the 94 squad. I could see a fully fit Ebuehi or Aina starting ahead of Eguaveon who was an average RB at best, and I would take Victor Moses or Chukwueze over Amuneke on the left. Though Chuwkueze is used mainly on the right, he can play comfortably on either wing. Barring injury, I predict Chuwkueze will grow to become a better player than Amunike. Other than the players I mentioned, I believe most of the combined 11 would come from the 94 team.

Exactly! Because winning Africa Player of the Year and starting for Barca is beans... :lol:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Gotti wrote:

Exactly! Because winning Africa Player of the Year and starting for Barca is beans... :lol:

He was never a regular Barcelona starter was he?
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

The Golden Generation... :clap:

Pictures courtesy of Nairaland
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

kalani JR wrote:He was never a regular Barcelona starter was he?
As opposed to our current players who are? :lol:

FYI, he was regular enough in his first season at Barca before a serious knee injury (followed by a degenerative condition) sidelined him the following season and inevitably ultimately marked the beginning of the end of his career as a top-level player.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Who the hell opened this thread..?

Ban this bloke from CE, abeg :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Gotti wrote:The Golden Generation... :clap:

Pictures courtesy of Nairaland

Off this photo current team will beat these guys on the runaway at least.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

This thread is unbelievable. Some one actually want V Moses over Amunike. I think people need to go back and watch Amuneke play.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

FATHER TIKO wrote:Who the hell opened this thread..?

Ban this bloke from CE, abeg :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: … by your name alone I know you are another old foggie from the old father tiko era... Nostalgia is a terrible thing... Trust me, these new young cats have 10 times the skill and experience than the players from that era had.... Mikel alone has had more success and experience and skill than half of the entire 1994 team.
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

ohenhen1 wrote:This thread is unbelievable. Some one actually want V Moses over Amunike. I think people need to go back and watch Amuneke play.

I would take amunike over victor moses….
Moses was pretty good, but Amunike was something special. I saw him play live at the Foxboro stadium in Boston during the 1994 world cup. Best player on the pitch..His close control of the ball, decision making, skill level was off the charts.

The only 3 players who would make the team today in my opinion are Finidi, Amunike and Yekini
JACKAL
Egg
Egg
Re: 2019 ANC EAGLES WILL HAMMER 1994 EAGLES 4-0

Post by JACKAL »

JACKAL wrote:
Damunk wrote:You've left out the most exciting youngster of all: Samuel Chukwueze :roll:
Trust me..he is not making Rorhs team....

Based on Chukwezes performance yesterday vs messis Barca...I think Rorh may be rethinking his plans about Chucks,,,,He may actually make the team... :clap: :clap: