2019 ANC EAGLES WOULD HAMMER 1994 EAGLES 4-0

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

john12
Egg
Egg
Re: 2019 ANC EAGLES WOULD HAMMER 1994 EAGLES 4-0

Post by john12 »

At the end of the day 1994 main achievement was a “round of 16” and “1 ANC” win which is simply not good enough to be that respected. You can call them all sort out f names but
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Everyone harps on about the 94 team, but I think the 98 team were better and more experienced. The NFA messed up the 98 team with bad selections for the 98 WC. They took Kanu (recovering from heart surgery), an unfit Amokachi, and past their peak players like Eguavoen, Iroha, Yekini, and Okafor - all in the name of having some 1994 nostalgia reunion. They bizarrely omitted Akpoborie (who was the top scorer in the Bundesliga!). That was the equivalent of omitting Lewandowski. They had other younger players (Taiwo, Choji) who should have been in the squad instead of the unfit veterans. Admittedly they also suffered rotten luck with career ending injuries to Dosu and Shakpoke just before the WC (forcing the unnatural experiment of playing Oparaku at RB).

For me the 98 team's first half performance against Bulgaria was one of the most thrilling exhibitions of attacking play and flair I have ever seen from any Nigerian team. Who can forget the "perfect" goal that Nigeria scored in that game with the ball starting in the hands of the GK Rufai, being knocked around the back by defenders, going through the midfield, then to Okocha with a shimmy, then to striker Ikpeba to score. From one end of the pitch to the other, without a Bulgaria player touching the ball. It was Barcelona-esque.

Even the normally patronising European press (who usually never give African teams credit) were drooling over the performance and admitted that Nigeria "played a game beyond the reach of most European teams", and said the performance was a "landmark in the game". See the excerpts below from the Independent:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/marvell ... 43013.html
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

wiseone wrote:Everyone harps on about the 94 team, but I think the 98 team were better and more experienced. The NFA messed up the 98 team with bad selections for the 98 WC. They took Kanu (recovering from heart surgery), an unfit Amokachi, and past their peak players like Eguavoen, Iroha, Yekini, and Okafor - all in the name of having some 1994 nostalgia reunion. They bizarrely omitted Akpoborie (who was the top scorer in the Bundesliga!). That was the equivalent of omitting Lewandowski. They had other younger players (Taiwo, Choji) who should have been in the squad instead of the unfit veterans. Admittedly they also suffered rotten luck with career ending injuries to Dosu and Shakpoke just before the WC (forcing the unnatural experiment of playing Oparaku at RB).

For me the 98 team's first half performance against Bulgaria was one of the most thrilling exhibitions of attacking play and flair I have ever seen from any Nigerian team. Who can forget the "perfect" goal that Nigeria scored in that game with the ball starting in the hands of the GK Rufai, being knocked around the back by defenders, going through the midfield, then to Okocha with a shimmy, then to striker Ikpeba to score. From one end of the pitch to the other, without a Bulgaria player touching the ball. It was Barcelona-esque.

Even the normally patronising European press (who usually never give African teams credit) were drooling over the performance and admitted that Nigeria "played a game beyond the reach of most European teams", and said the performance was a "landmark in the game". See the excerpts below from the Independent:

I totally agree.. the 98 team was a far superior team.... A lot of the players had matured in skill and experience...
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Thanks for reminding me - I need to create Amuneke on my PES2018. I already have Keshi, Okocha, Finidi and Martins. It can be difficult finding the faces.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

We didn't participate in the 96 and 98 ANC tournaments, so the 94 team was somewhat robbed of being able to defend their 94 ANC victory.
john12 wrote:At the end of the day 1994 main achievement was a “round of 16” and “1 ANC” win which is simply not good enough to be that respected. You can call them all sort out f names but
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

Choi. I still have it somewhere , the Complete football magazine after the nation's cup win where their strengths and weaknesses were listed.
Can't forget for Oliseh where his strengths were listed , when it got to weaknesses for Oliseh it was listed as none.
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

[/video]
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

He was nicknamed "El Nouveau Rijkaard" (The New Rijkaard) at the start of his career.
imehjunior wrote:Choi. I still have it somewhere , the Complete football magazine after the nation's cup win where their strengths and weaknesses were listed.
Can't forget for Oliseh where his strengths were listed , when it got to weaknesses for Oliseh it was listed as none.
onwuatuegwu
Egg
Egg

Post by onwuatuegwu »

imehjunior wrote:[/video]

Looks like these guys are still beefing amongst themselves. Their body language get as the thing be!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

JACKAL wrote:
wiseone wrote:Everyone harps on about the 94 team, but I think the 98 team were better and more experienced. The NFA messed up the 98 team with bad selections for the 98 WC. They took Kanu (recovering from heart surgery), an unfit Amokachi, and past their peak players like Eguavoen, Iroha, Yekini, and Okafor - all in the name of having some 1994 nostalgia reunion. They bizarrely omitted Akpoborie (who was the top scorer in the Bundesliga!). That was the equivalent of omitting Lewandowski. They had other younger players (Taiwo, Choji) who should have been in the squad instead of the unfit veterans. Admittedly they also suffered rotten luck with career ending injuries to Dosu and Shakpoke just before the WC (forcing the unnatural experiment of playing Oparaku at RB).

I totally agree.. the 98 team was a far superior team.... A lot of the players had matured in skill and experience...
jackal, 4-0, abi? So which defenders and Akpeyi abi na Uzoho go prevent Yekini, Amokachi, Amunike, Finidi from scoring?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
JACKAL wrote:

jackal, 4-0, abi? So which defenders and Akpeyi abi na Uzoho go prevent Yekini, Amokachi, Amunike, Finidi from scoring?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: No mind them
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

YemiBrazil wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
JACKAL wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: No mind them
I think Jackal sniffs some glue, starts feeling somehow, and decides to come and post here. By the time he is sober, he goes into 1Naija mode and starts arguing with everybody, himself and empty rooms included.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

ohenhen1 wrote:8-0 victory for the 94 team

Rufai
Eguavon, OKafor, Okechukwu, Iroha
Findi, Oliseh, Okocha, Amunike
Amokachi, Yekini
Where is Chidi Nwanu????
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

john12 wrote:At the end of the day 1994 main achievement was a “round of 16” and “1 ANC” win which is simply not good enough to be that respected. You can call them all sort out f names but
Which team to be respected has done or achieved more?
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Well 2013 equaled the same results but y’all never have keshi his credit for those results and they even defeated a much stronger team in doing so “ivory coast 2013”
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

JACKAL wrote:Coach after coach defer to him. Even his current coach is comparing him to Stephen Gerrard...
Ndidi compared to Gerrard..? You must be joking.. Show us the source where this coach was quoted...

Ndidi wey no fit enter Africa XI in 2018..? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We'd return to this thread after AFCON 2019...Make we see Ndidi true level...no excuses...

Come o this JACKAL, sef..Are you Ndidi's agent..? Na wa for you o...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

wanaj0 wrote:
Ask them which African team has ever attained 5th position on FIFA Ranking....
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
Ask them which African team has ever attained 5th position on FIFA Ranking....
A ranking is the most useless thing to celebrate, it is simply an algo which can be gamed.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

wanaj0 wrote:
Depends how you what you consider more, Ghana placed second but went a round further than us in 2010.

I personally think Egypt and Cameroon's teams of the early 00s were more impressive.
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
JACKAL wrote:Coach after coach defer to him. Even his current coach is comparing him to Stephen Gerrard...
Ndidi compared to Gerrard..? You must be joking.. Show us the source where this coach was quoted...

Ndidi wey no fit enter Africa XI in 2018..? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We'd return to this thread after AFCON 2019...Make we see Ndidi true level...no excuses...

Come o this JACKAL, sef..Are you Ndidi's agent..? Na wa for you o...
https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/leicest ... t07h739r8d

KPOOOOM...I win !!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Father TIKO ,,,This one is for you.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
What was that they said about his passing accuracy...87% !!!! KPOOOM...I win again... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

https://soccernet.ng/2019/04/wilfred-nd ... estro.html
Wilfred Ndidi: Africa’s new midfield maestro
Precious 0
facebook twitter

“I’ve always had one in my teams – that sort of central pivot that orchestrates the game.
“I had Steven (Gerrard) do it for me at Liverpool and Leon Britton did it for me at Swansea, different types.”
This was Brendan Rodgers’ comments on Wilfred Ndidi after the Nigerian midfielder put up one of the best midfield displays in the Premier League so far this season as Leicester’s wonderfully picked up a 2-0 win over Bournemouth on Saturday.

A comparison with one of the Premier League’s greatest midfielder is a nice gesture but Ndidi isn’t given the attention he deserves. He’s one of the best midfield generals in England who can be a destroyer, can control play and isn’t shy of going for the goal himself. Leicester’s win over Bournemouth is a typical example of how valuable Ndidi is to Leicester’s team and how ridiculously good he can be on his day.

The 22-year old had a whopping 11 tackles against the Cherries, 7 more than all of his teammate did in the game with the team’s second-best making just two. It was like he was running the defensive midfield show alone. Not just that, Ndidi also coupled that with 14 ball recoveries, 5 clearances, 5 interceptions, 17 duels won and 87% pass accuracy. This man is definitely the complete defensive midfielder.

The Nigeria international had been deployed alongside Nampalys Mendy in the double-pivot system in many games this season but new manager Brendan Rodgers have decided to play Ndidi as the lone holding midfielder, a tactic which seem to be thriving as not just Ndidi is enjoying himself in midfield, but the team now have more confidence going forward and making positional plays as Ndidi’s prowess has allowed Youri Tielemans more freedom going forward and creating from midfield. This is one of the many reasons why Leicester have won four of their last five games.

Some of Ndidi’s stats is insane which clearly shows that he’s up there with the best defensive midfielders in the game. The player has made a total of 120 tackles, the most by any player in Europe’s top five leagues. He’s also won possession 162 times in midfield, made 65 interceptions and 69 clearances. He is a gem in Leicester City’s defensive tactics but shouldn’t be written off when creating as he’s made 19 key passes in the Premier League whilst making 28 successful dribbles.

No doubt, Ndidi is definitely one of the best defensive midfielders in England but it is quite fascinating how he doesn’t get the praises he deserves. Maybe because he’s yet to play for a top club which, by his recent performances, is very likely. The most interesting part of it all is that he’s only 22 and will only get better.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Who’s “they”? You mean Bora Multivitamins? :lol:

Meanwhile, the team sucked and got beat black-and-blue by Yugoslavia (0-3), Netherlands (1-5), and Grasshopper FC (2-5) in the run-up to the World Cup. And btw, Mobi (“Kill and Go”) Oparaku was a natural RB who played that position for Nigeria at U17, U23 (1996 Olympics) and senior levels.

PS: Akpoborie was NEVER the top scorer in the Bundesliga.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

kalani JR wrote:Depends how you what you consider more, Ghana placed second but went a round further than us in 2010.

I personally think Egypt and Cameroon's teams of the early 00s were more impressive.
Bros, isn’t it too late for April Fool? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL