U17 AFCON 2019: EAGLETS' UPDATES

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
U17 AFCON 2019: EAGLETS' UPDATES

Post by Gotti »

U-17 AFCON: NFF has abandoned me, Manu Garba cries out
VANGUARD, MARCH 29, 2019 2:20

Golden Eaglets coach, Manu Garba said he feels like he has been abandoned as the build up to the U-17 African Cup of Nations continues. Manu Garba He was speaking against the background of the MRI test needed to be done on his players to verify those who are within the age limit.

With less than a month to the tournament in Tanzania, Coach Garba said without the MRI test he could not pick a team. ”Obviously, we have players who have not got the opportunity to play that can make the team to Tanzania, that is after the MRI,” Manu Garba said.

”We don’t know who is who now until after the MRI has been conducted, why I didn’t give those new players a chance to play is the fact that all the players that played today for us have passed the MRI before and we are sure at least 90 percent will go to Tanzania.”

”We have submitted our list to the Federation, we are just waiting for the Federation to give us the date but it appears we are getting behind time because we are expected to submit a provisional list of 25 players two weeks before the first game.”

”Remember before we went to Niger, we had several unverified players and we don’t know if they are going to be retained.” The MRI tests are expected to cost the Nigerian Federation about N4 million.

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/03/u-1 ... cries-out/
Last edited by Gotti on Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: U17 AFCON: EAGLETS 'ABANDONED'?

Post by Gotti »

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2019/04/07/un ... -mri-test/
Unmasked: Names Of Five Nigeria U17 Regulars Knocked Out Of The Squad For U17 AFCON By MRI Test
OwnGoal.com April 7, 201902

Five players of the Nigerian U17 team that help the team lift the WAFU B U17 Championship in Niger Republic won’t be part of the squad to the U17 Africa Cup of Nations as they fail to scale through the Magnetic Resonance Imaging ( MRI) test, Owngoalnigeria.com understands.

The test is usually done to help know if the players are within the age limit for the tournament, no thanks to the menace of age cheats which has seen some teams parade players that are older than the stipulated age range for the tournament.

Top among the list is one of the best players in the Nigerian team in goalkeeper John Ikedinachukwu Amah who had a near perfect display at the WAFU B Championship which Nigeria won on penalty kicks after drawing 1-1 with Ghana in the final.

Also the left and right full backs of the team Muhammed Ibrahim and Babatunde Akinsola Jimoh were also knocked out by the scan, same as influential left footed midfielder Hassan Hussein and striker Favor Akeem.

The development means the technical crew will now focus on players who are second choice and some third choice to the aforementioned players in their positions for the tournament in Tanzania which tees off on the 14th of April.

Ade Emmanuel
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

https://www.today.ng/sport/football/eag ... ent-209337
Eaglets boss Manu Garba bracing up for any MRI disappointment
By Calista Jacob-Akpan April 3, 2019

Chief Coach of the Nigeria Golden Eaglets Manu Garba has confirmed his preparedness ahead of the MRI test to be conducted on his players before the 2019 U-17 African Cup of Nations.

Speaking in a telephone interview, Garba said he has over 25 players in camp should any of his highly rated players fall victim of the MRI test.

The Golden Eaglets who had won the competition twice in 2001 and 2007 will have their hands full against host Nation in the opening game of the tournament on April 14, while they lock horns with Uganda on the 17th before the final group game with Angola on 20th.

The competition will be played between April 14 to 28 and the last four teams will represent Africa at the FIFA U-17 World Cup in Peru later in 2019.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2 ... r-nigeria/
Adrian Akande: Dumps England for Nigeria
ThisDay April 6, 2019 12:15 am

Chelsea prodigy Adrian Akande has committed his international future to Nigeria despite being courted by the English Football Association.

Golden Eaglets coach, Manu Garba closely monitored the highly-rated winger in Abuja for about one week, with a view to naming him on the roster for the upcoming Africa U-17 Cup of Nations in Tanzania.

Akande arrived the Nigeria U-17s camp with a huge reputation, having scored an impressive 30 goals in 42 games for Chelsea’s youth teams this season while providing 22 assists.

‘’Adrian has been called for five England camps and has rejected all of them in hope of playing for Nigeria,’’ Adrian’s agent, Tobi Alabi who used to play for Millwall, told an online publication.

Akande has certainly shown signs that he could cut it as a professional footballer as he has drawn comparisons to Chelsea superstar Eden Hazard and Barcelona’s Ousmane Dembélé.

‘’He plays like Hazard and Barcelona’s Dembele. He is two-footed, very quick and strong on the ball. He can score the same, with both right foot and left foot and he is a hard worker.

‘’He has no weaknesses. I saw a mention that defensively he isn’t strong but he’s not a defender, he’s an attacker so his defensive capabilities aren’t important, of course, he will work hard for his team but he’s not a defender, ‘’ added Alabi.

Akande played for the youth team of Crystal Palace before transferring to Chelsea at the age of 12.

Akande who flew back to Nigeria on Wednesday night is expected to undergo an MRI test this week.

Nigeria Football Federation President, Amaju Pinnick, played a key role in convincing the precocious talent to commit his international future to Nigeria over England after holding talks with the player’s camp.

Since assuming office as the President of the NFF, Pinnick had never hidden his intention to woo players with Nigerian background who have featured only in age-group competitions for foreign countries. So far, he has not done badly with his moves.

“The initial plan was to take our players in the various clubs, but now, what we are trying to do is what we call VIP scouting – talking to these young players that are playing abroad to play for their fatherland.

“I am yet to see a Nigerian that is regretting being a Nigerian. No Nigerian, even if they have four or five passports, they are always excited being Nigerians. I can assure you that we shall get them to play for us at the appropriate time,” Pinnick said.

Meanwhile, Bournemouth goalkeeper Joseph Oluwabusola is set to miss out on the Golden Eaglets roster to the upcoming Africa U-17 Cup of Nations which begins in Tanzania on April 14.

Although the Golden Eaglets coaches have refused to categorically rule him out from the squad set to be announced in the coming days, his chances are slim because he has not trained with the team since the start of their training camp.

Bournemouth had earlier assured the Nigeria Football Federation that Oluwabusola would be permitted to link up with the Nigeria U-17s 14 days before the start of the tournament but this has not happened.

He was a member of the Golden Eaglets squad at the 2018 WAFU-UFOA Zone B qualifiers for the Africa U-17 Cup of Nations but did not come off the bench in all their four matches in Niger.

Akande, Go Ahead Eagles’ Lateef Omidiji and Barcelona Escola whizkid Kelechukwu Ebenezer Ibe-Torti are among the foreign-based teenagers observed by Garba ahead of their trip to Tanzania for the U-17 AFCON.

The five-time world champions will do battle with the hosts, Angola and Uganda in the group stage.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2019/04/07/oy ... u17-afcon/
“Oyibo Eaglet” – Nigeria U17 Include Two Players Born Abroad In Final Squad For U17 AFCON
OwnGoal.com April 7, 2019 01:49

For the first time in the history of Nigeria U17 teams two players born outside the shores of Nigeria have made the squad for the 2019 U17 Africa Cup of Nations ‎, which serves as qualifiers for the World Youth Championship.

Owngoalnigeria.com exclusively gathered that Chelsea teen forward Adrian Akande and young Bournemouth goalkeeper Joseph Oluwabusola made the final list of 23 players selected for the tournament by coach Manu Garba.

Oluwabusola is not new to the team as he was part of the team to the WAFU B U17 Championship which Nigeria won to seal progress to the Africa U17 Cup of Nations but he could easily have missed out on the list of players to the tournament if not for the fact that first choice goalkeeper John Amah failed the mandatory Magnetic Resonance Imaging test, which is usually done to curb the menace of age cheats.

Akande on his part impressed the handlers of the team after training with the team for one week in Abuja and the omission of some forward players who are regulars in the team ‎due to the MRI test helped his inclusion in the final squad for the tournament which will begin on the 14th of April in Tanzania.

Overall four players born outside the shores of Nigeria took part in the screening exercise in Abuja but the duo of former Barcelona Escola Kelechi Ebenezer Ibe-Torti and Go Ahead Eagles Lateef Omidiji Junior were not considered good enough for the Nigerian team.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
skillful
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: U17 AFCON 2019: EAGLETS' UPDATES

Post by skillful »

Overall four players born outside the shores of Nigeria took part in the screening exercise in Abuja but the duo of former Barcelona Escola Kelechi Ebenezer Ibe-Torti and Go Ahead Eagles Lateef Omidiji Junior were not considered good enough for the Nigerian team. Big lie Lateef was by far the best player.
"I first saw David Rocastle play in 1983 for the youth team. I remember coming home excitedly from the match and telling my family, "I've just watched the nearest thing to a Brazilian footballer you are ever likely to see - and he comes from Lewisham." - David Dein on Rocky Rocastle
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

I was at the Nigeria High Commission London about a fortnight ago and there was this tiny boy who was with his mother desperately trying to get his Nigerian passport.
Of northern origin (can't remember his name) he said he was going to Naija for the U17 camp. I'm not sure whether he was officially invited or whether it was a self-invite
He doesn't seem to be listed amongst the 'oyibo' invitees
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
jungle-jawara
Egg
Egg

Post by jungle-jawara »

Damunk wrote:I was at the Nigeria High Commission London about a fortnight ago and there was this tiny boy who was with his mother desperately trying to get his Nigerian passport.
Of northern origin (can't remember his name) he said he was going to Naija for the U17 camp. I'm not sure whether he was officially invited or whether it was a self-invite

Why are they acting like this? First of all, they are phasing out his sister from the falcons now they don't want to give him a chance. It's all good o
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

jungle-jawara wrote:
Damunk wrote:I was at the Nigeria High Commission London about a fortnight ago and there was this tiny boy who was with his mother desperately trying to get his Nigerian passport.

Why are they acting like this? First of all, they are phasing out his sister from the falcons now they don't want to give him a chance. It's all good o
Who are you referring to?
If its the Omidijis then its not the kid I met. This one no get any oyibo blood
jungle-jawara
Egg
Egg

Post by jungle-jawara »

Damunk wrote:
jungle-jawara wrote:

Who are you referring to?
If its the Omidijis then its not the kid I met. This one no get any oyibo blood
Ha, ok sorry. Error. I know his sister was excited that her brother was called to U17 camp and his name is also lateef so I just figured it was him. My bad.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

jungle-jawara wrote:
What do you mean they don't want to give him a chance?
Didn't he play with the U15 squad at the Youth Games in Morocco?!

Last edited by Gotti on Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Which best player?
Same falsehood was touted about his sister (Sophia) and she ended up being a total bust.
You people need to stop buying into the media hype - they are all on the take.
skillful wrote:Overall four players born outside the shores of Nigeria took part in the screening exercise in Abuja but the duo of former Barcelona Escola Kelechi Ebenezer Ibe-Torti and Go Ahead Eagles Lateef Omidiji Junior were not considered good enough for the Nigerian team. Big lie Lateef was by far the best player.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

skillful wrote:Overall four players born outside the shores of Nigeria took part in the screening exercise in Abuja but the duo of former Barcelona Escola Kelechi Ebenezer Ibe-Torti and Go Ahead Eagles Lateef Omidiji Junior were not considered good enough for the Nigerian team. Big lie Lateef was by far the best player.
How do you know? Were you there?

I do not know either, but I trust Manu Garba's eye for talent, and given that the team lost some apparently key players via the MRI results I am sure that if Lateef was good enough that would have strengthened his chances of making the cut.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Otitokoro wrote:Which best player?
Same falsehood was touted about his sister (Sophia) and she ended up being a total bust.
Seems the Omidijis want to hype their way to success. They use social media very effectively to create larger than life profiles of themselves.
skillful
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by skillful »

I know a lot direct from the source.. The boy is something special nothing to do with hype. u17 is just an extension of the stock Exchange
"I first saw David Rocastle play in 1983 for the youth team. I remember coming home excitedly from the match and telling my family, "I've just watched the nearest thing to a Brazilian footballer you are ever likely to see - and he comes from Lewisham." - David Dein on Rocky Rocastle
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

I can't speak to what happened in the U17 camp but Lateef lived up to the so called hype at U15 level.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

mystic wrote:I can't speak to what happened in the U17 camp but Lateef lived up to the so called hype at U15 level.
That's news to me. Did you watch these games?
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

niyi wrote:
mystic wrote:I can't speak to what happened in the U17 camp but Lateef lived up to the so called hype at U15 level.

Didn't watch the games but followed the news reports.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

mystic wrote:
niyi wrote:

Didn't watch the games but followed the news reports.
He didn't play much and I can't remember him scoring or assisting any goals. Still not sure why you believe he lived up to the hype
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Damunk wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:Which best player?
Seems the Omidijis want to hype their way to success. They use social media very effectively to create larger than life profiles of themselves.
there's nothing wrong if they posses commensurate talent; but Sophia was invited to camp a couple of times I was wondering what happened to her of late. I mean was she not good enough
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Mystic,

My recollection was that he was mostly a bench player.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Enugu II wrote:
Mystic,

He played in the duet of friendlies against Morocco.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

mystic wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Mystic,

He played in the duet of friendlies against Morocco.
He did but I believe he was not a starter. In fact in one game he provided the two assists in a 3-2 win but he still was subbed in. Not that it matters. As far as I know, he is much younger than others and getting into the games even as a bench players says very little if you ask me.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics