Why we were successful - Oliseh on the 94 set

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

proclaimjesus02
Egg
Egg
Why we were successful - Oliseh on the 94 set

Post by proclaimjesus02 »

https://www.concisenews.global/Why+1994 ... day+Oliseh

At the 25th anniversary of Nigeria's victory at the 1994 African Nations Cup in Tunisia. The Super Eagles teams of the 1990s (1993-1996) are seen as the most successful set of Super Eagles ever.
The teams was honoured at the NFF Football Awards last week and Sunday Oliseh explained why they were succesful.

This is a transcript of the speech. The video is below.

"I would like to say a big thank you on behalf of my colleagues. It's the first time that we are getting together in the past 25 years.
And I must confess that, exactly 9 days from today, 25 years ago, the 10th of April 1994, we shocked the world in style when we won the African Nations Cup.

As at that time, we didn't know what we were doing. As you see us all here, we are just one big family. We hardly agreed on anything then.
But as you see these guys here, the moment we put on the jersey. . .

I remember Uche Okechukwu saying, "Jay Jay leave am, as e kick you e go come here".
I remember times whereby (this brings tears to my eyes), whereby Stephen Keshi's wife will cook African food for us all and she will bring it and carry it with her car and we'll all start sharing it in the hotel. Am I lying guys"

The other Eagles reply, "No".

That tells you the love that we had for one another.
But as we look back, I'm a coach now and I thank God for everything he's done for us. If you look at the way that football is being played, full backs are asked to attack. We don't have two number 9s anymore. We have a number 9½.

This started in 2008.
As at 1994, Daniel Amokachi was not a number 9, he was not a number 10, he was already playing 9½. So he was ahead of his time.
As at 1994 we had an overlapping left back. Sometimes we used to beg him, "Ben, abeg stay, I don tire", but he will still go and we will beat Ivory Coast.

An Ivorian in the audience reacted, which led to laughter from the rest of the audience and Sunday Oliseh said. . .

"With all due respect.
As at the time, all the midfielders used to just carry the ball. One small boy from Delta, all he did was, fight for the ball, give it to the players to play.

And at the time, God blessed us with the best striker this continent has ever seen. I am talking of Baba Rashidi.

I will share something that I had between me and him, that he used to tell me. "Şo ri, Sunny, ma da won lowun. Şá ti ná si fún mi"
For those that don't understand Yoruba, what Rashidi used to say to me was, "Sunday, don't listen to them. Just send the ball in (to me)".

And this man had the most clinical finishing I have ever seen in my f**king career and I've been blessed to play with players like Inzaghi, Zidane and all of them, but none could come close.

And then we had one crazy number 10. In as much as I and him have a good relationship today, if I tell you how many times we almost fought on the pitch. "Jay Jay pass now!"
But I must confess to you guys, if I had a problem and I was crowded by players, give it to Jay Jay, he will find a solution.

We were very complimentary, from Dodo Mayana to Baba Rashidi, but we could not have achieved anything we did without players like Edema Fuludu, without players like Nduka Ugbade.

Because, for those of you who are less than 30 years old, you will not understand this, when we trained at the National Stadium, we had 30,000 watching trainings. Our trainings were like matches.

And for that reason, anybody who was going to wear the jersey on Saturday, you know that if you don't give 150%, not only will the Lagos fans kick you so hard, but there's somebody waiting on the bench to take that jersey and good luck to you if you lose it.

And let's not forget, we had one man who brought us all together, Clemens Westerhof.
For 3 years I was going in and out of London to get my coaching license and I was in classes with people like Ryan Giggs and all of them. Even Ole Solskjaer, we graduated together and they were always talking about England National team, England National team.

Then one day, I was sitting with Gianfranco Zola and I told him, I said, "Excuse me, the last time England won something, I was not born yet".
I am going to tell you what this guys did (he's pointing at the other Eagles).

⚫ 1993: qualified for the African Cup of Nations.
⚫ 1993: qualified for Nigeria's first ever World Cup
⚫ 1994 (April 10th) : won the African Nations Cup
⚫ 1995: won the Afro-Asian Cup
⚫ 6 of the players from this group were in the Atlanta team that won the Olympics.

Jay Jay Okocha, Victor Ikpeba, Emmanuel Amunike, the Bull Daniel Amokachi, we had also the crazy Sunday Oliseh.

Why am I saying this now is that ever since people think that we have problems amongst ourselves. It is far from true. The thing is that we know that without one another, we'll not be having food on the table today.

We'll be starving. We helped each other and we carry on with that friendship.
Daniel used to turn to me on the pitch and say, "I'll come help you defend". Even when I had 3 or 4 opponents, he will come and join me. Am I lying?

Oliseh gives the microphone to Amokachi and Amokachi says jokingly, "You dey lie small".

Oliseh says:
Because then he was a 9½. He was coming to join us in midfield.

And then we had Samson Siasia also coming to join us in the midfield. What was he doing? Samson was a number 9, but then we had the god of Nigerian attackers as number 9. The man adapted, started playing 10 and even number 7.

Not to talk of Finito. So the team goes on.

When NFF invited me to come and I saw the invitation, the first thing I wanted to say to my wife was, "Eh, I go stay house", but then I saw my colleagues who were coming and I saw that at one point in life we have to move forward.

Nigeria has given us everything we have. We have given everything we have to Nigeria. If we are not recognised, Nigeria will not produce another set. If we are not thanked, Nigeria will not produce another set, because what will it take to name one street in every state the Super Eagles of 94 Street?

It doesn't matter if the street is fine or not, just the recognition.
We thank you very much. We are grateful. We thank you for this event.

Oga Amaju, we thank you for doing it. We thank you all. Oga Seyi Akinwunmi, we thank you very much. Oga Dipo, we thank you. And we thank you the most Nigerians. God bless you
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Why we were successful - Oliseh on the 94 set

Post by Bigpokey24 »

dude who is going to read all that torey..if you have no video, then summarize it... geeze naija people and essay writings... go straight to the point or post a video etc...
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
proclaimjesus02
Egg
Egg

Post by proclaimjesus02 »

[/video]
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

proclaimjesus02 wrote:[/video]
now that's more like it . 8-) jayjay leave am...as e kick you , e go come here :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Last edited by Bigpokey24 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperEagles

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

proclaimjesus02 wrote:https://www.concisenews.global/Why+1994 ... day+Oliseh

At the 25th anniversary of Nigeria's victory at the 1994 African Nations Cup in Tunisia. The Super Eagles teams of the 1990s (1993-1996) are seen as the most successful set of Super Eagles ever.
The teams was honoured at the NFF Football Awards last week and Sunday Oliseh explained why they were succesful.

This is a transcript of the speech. The video is below.

"I would like to say a big thank you on behalf of my colleagues. It's the first time that we are getting together in the past 25 years.
And I must confess that, exactly 9 days from today, 25 years ago, the 10th of April 1994, we shocked the world in style when we won the African Nations Cup.

As at that time, we didn't know what we were doing. As you see us all here, we are just one big family. We hardly agreed on anything then.
But as you see these guys here, the moment we put on the jersey. . .

I remember Uche Okechukwu saying, "Jay Jay leave am, as e kick you e go come here".
I remember times whereby (this brings tears to my eyes), whereby Stephen Keshi's wife will cook African food for us all and she will bring it and carry it with her car and we'll all start sharing it in the hotel. Am I lying guys"

The other Eagles reply, "No".

That tells you the love that we had for one another.
But as we look back, I'm a coach now and I thank God for everything he's done for us. If you look at the way that football is being played, full backs are asked to attack. We don't have two number 9s anymore. We have a number 9½.

This started in 2008.
As at 1994, Daniel Amokachi was not a number 9, he was not a number 10, he was already playing 9½. So he was ahead of his time.
As at 1994 we had an overlapping left back. Sometimes we used to beg him, "Ben, abeg stay, I don tire", but he will still go and we will beat Ivory Coast.

An Ivorian in the audience reacted, which led to laughter from the rest of the audience and Sunday Oliseh said. . .

"With all due respect.
As at the time, all the midfielders used to just carry the ball. One small boy from Delta, all he did was, fight for the ball, give it to the players to play.

And at the time, God blessed us with the best striker this continent has ever seen. I am talking of Baba Rashidi.

I will share something that I had between me and him, that he used to tell me. "Şo ri, Sunny, ma da won lowun. Şá ti ná si fún mi"
For those that don't understand Yoruba, what Rashidi used to say to me was, "Sunday, don't listen to them. Just send the ball in (to me)".

And this man had the most clinical finishing I have ever seen in my f**king career and I've been blessed to play with players like Inzaghi, Zidane and all of them, but none could come close.

And then we had one crazy number 10. In as much as I and him have a good relationship today, if I tell you how many times we almost fought on the pitch. "Jay Jay pass now!"
But I must confess to you guys, if I had a problem and I was crowded by players, give it to Jay Jay, he will find a solution.

We were very complimentary, from Dodo Mayana to Baba Rashidi, but we could not have achieved anything we did without players like Edema Fuludu, without players like Nduka Ugbade.

Because, for those of you who are less than 30 years old, you will not understand this, when we trained at the National Stadium, we had 30,000 watching trainings. Our trainings were like matches.

And for that reason, anybody who was going to wear the jersey on Saturday, you know that if you don't give 150%, not only will the Lagos fans kick you so hard, but there's somebody waiting on the bench to take that jersey and good luck to you if you lose it.

And let's not forget, we had one man who brought us all together, Clemens Westerhof.
For 3 years I was going in and out of London to get my coaching license and I was in classes with people like Ryan Giggs and all of them. Even Ole Solskjaer, we graduated together and they were always talking about England National team, England National team.

Then one day, I was sitting with Gianfranco Zola and I told him, I said, "Excuse me, the last time England won something, I was not born yet".
I am going to tell you what this guys did (he's pointing at the other Eagles).

⚫ 1993: qualified for the African Cup of Nations.
⚫ 1993: qualified for Nigeria's first ever World Cup
⚫ 1994 (April 10th) : won the African Nations Cup
⚫ 1995: won the Afro-Asian Cup
⚫ 6 of the players from this group were in the Atlanta team that won the Olympics.

Jay Jay Okocha, Victor Ikpeba, Emmanuel Amunike, the Bull Daniel Amokachi, we had also the crazy Sunday Oliseh.

Why am I saying this now is that ever since people think that we have problems amongst ourselves. It is far from true. The thing is that we know that without one another, we'll not be having food on the table today.

We'll be starving. We helped each other and we carry on with that friendship.
Daniel used to turn to me on the pitch and say, "I'll come help you defend". Even when I had 3 or 4 opponents, he will come and join me. Am I lying?

Oliseh gives the microphone to Amokachi and Amokachi says jokingly, "You dey lie small".

Oliseh says:
Because then he was a 9½. He was coming to join us in midfield.

And then we had Samson Siasia also coming to join us in the midfield. What was he doing? Samson was a number 9, but then we had the god of Nigerian attackers as number 9. The man adapted, started playing 10 and even number 7.

Not to talk of Finito. So the team goes on.

When NFF invited me to come and I saw the invitation, the first thing I wanted to say to my wife was, "Eh, I go stay house", but then I saw my colleagues who were coming and I saw that at one point in life we have to move forward.

Nigeria has given us everything we have. We have given everything we have to Nigeria. If we are not recognised, Nigeria will not produce another set. If we are not thanked, Nigeria will not produce another set, because what will it take to name one street in every state the Super Eagles of 94 Street?

It doesn't matter if the street is fine or not, just the recognition.
We thank you very much. We are grateful. We thank you for this event.

Oga Amaju, we thank you for doing it. We thank you all. Oga Seyi Akinwunmi, we thank you very much. Oga Dipo, we thank you. And we thank you the most Nigerians. God bless you
I had goose pimples reading this. This guys were the greatest ever SE.
I am happy
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Hughest achievement is still round of 16, and 1 ANC win. No way I will eulogize them
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

john12 wrote:Hughest achievement is still round of 16, and 1 ANC win. No way I will eulogize them
You know Abancha stop this team from going places?Miss 1996 ANC and win Gold
ogasir
Egg
Egg

Post by ogasir »

What has the 94 team achieved on the world stage that other team that came after them haven't achieved?
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

ogasir wrote:What has the 94 team achieved on the world stage that other team that came after them haven't achieved?
they opened the doorway for teams /players after them.... they put Nigerian football on the map. They had better individual players compared to today's( in quality and quantity). Nigerian players became highly sorted after due to the 94 set
SuperEagles

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

john12 wrote:Hughest achievement is still round of 16, and 1 ANC win. No way I will eulogize them
Still our highest achievement...you are talking as if another team has outdone them...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

ogasir wrote:What has the 94 team achieved on the world stage that other team that came after them haven't achieved?
Eh. For one, they laid a good foundation for Naija football, and got closer to the quarter finals than any teams we've played since. Many of them made up the bulk of the team that won the Olympics in 1996
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

they had this

[/video]
[/video]
Last edited by Bigpokey24 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperEagles

kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

maceo4 wrote:
Still our highest achievement...you are talking as if another team has outdone them...
Keshi's team?
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Keshi team equaled that achievement but even their set are not salivating and eulogizing them
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

john12 wrote:Keshi team equaled that achievement but even their set are not salivating and eulogizing them
hush and enjoy
[/video]
SuperEagles

Baii
Egg
Egg

Post by Baii »

Bigpokey24 wrote:they had this

[/video]
[/video]

Chai see as I just deh hail the one and only Oga
All haters go sidon jare. Oga na baba
“A fanatic is one who entrenches himself in invincible ignorance.”

― OSWALD CHAMBERS, Baffled to Fight Better
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Mechionu gi and enjoy. The 1994 team were obviously better but I’m sick and tired of us celebrating mediocrity. Even Ghanaians don’t celebrate their 2010 Wc team let alone their 2006 Wc that performed similar to our 1994 team
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

You asked?

ANSWER: No Nigerian or African team has been ranked #5 in the world since. Then EzeSportsworld comes here to yarn opaks, I just keep my self controlled only because he is a brother. Oda wise ee for be me an him for one trouza.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

kalani JR wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Keshi's team?
Outdone them?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Enugu ii Fifa tanking dosent says it all. Let me give you some examples. Nigeria 2006 team that failed to qualify for World Cup 2006 were ranked “9th” and “11” that year despite failing to qualify for 2006 Wc . Czech Republic were ranked 2nd in 2006 prior to getting abused by Ghana. Our 1994 team were obviously talented but the way they keep eulogizing themselves, you would had thought those guys were world champion. Their main achievement which was 1994 ANC and WC round of 16 which was matched by keshi team but you don’t see the likes of mikel, enemies, Moses adulating themselves. The likes of Ghana, Senegal and Cameroun has already surpassed that team
Last edited by john12 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ogasir
Egg
Egg

Post by ogasir »

niyi wrote:
Eh. For one, they laid a good foundation for Naija football, and got closer to the quarter finals than any teams we've played since. Many of them made up the bulk of the team that won the Olympics in 1996
So basically they didn't achieve anything that other teams have not achieved since then.
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

john12 wrote:Enugu ii Fifa tanking dosent says it all. Let me give you some examples. Nigeria 2006 team that failed to qualify for World Cup 2006 we’re ranked “9th” and “11” that year despite failing to qualify for football. Czech Republic were ranked 2nd in 2006 prior to getting abused by Ghana. Our 1994 team were obviously talented but the way they keep eulogizing themselves, you would had thought those guys were world champion. Their main achievement which was 1994 ANC and WC round of 16 were matched by keshi team but you don’t see the likes of mikel, enemies, Moses adulation themselves. The likes of Ghana, Senegal and Cameroun has already surpassed that team
Probably because Mikel and them weren’t as dominant and entertaining at the World Cup, heck they couldn’t even score against mighty Iran. They scraped through to the round of 16 based on one win by a solitary goal in a game where the other team had a legit goal called back for offside while ours wasn’t called back for a foul. We scraped through luckily then went out with a whimper after barely troubling the French. Yes on the surface you can say it was the same achievement but when you look at the details it tells a very different story. One team was poor yet lucky while the other was stellar but unlucky.

And let’s not forget the same team couldn’t even make the next 2 ANCs, something that used to be our birthright during the time of these guys. That’s why they are remembered. Plus some are no longer with us, shouldn’t we give them their flowers while they can still smell them? Haba...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

maceo4 wrote:
john12 wrote:Enugu ii Fifa tanking dosent says it all. Let me give you some examples. Nigeria 2006 team that failed to qualify for World Cup 2006 we’re ranked “9th” and “11” that year despite failing to qualify for football. Czech Republic were ranked 2nd in 2006 prior to getting abused by Ghana. Our 1994 team were obviously talented but the way they keep eulogizing themselves, you would had thought those guys were world champion. Their main achievement which was 1994 ANC and WC round of 16 were matched by keshi team but you don’t see the likes of mikel, enemies, Moses adulation themselves. The likes of Ghana, Senegal and Cameroun has already surpassed that team
Probably because Mikel and them weren’t as dominant and entertaining at the World Cup, heck they couldn’t even score against mighty Iran. They scraped through to the round of 16 based on one win by a solitary goal in a game where the other team had a legit goal called back for offside while ours wasn’t called back for a foul. We scraped through luckily then went out with a whimper after barely troubling the French. Yes on the surface you can say it was the same achievement but when you look at the details it tells a very different story. One team was poor yet lucky while the other was stellar but unlucky.

And let’s not forget the same team couldn’t even make the next 2 ANCs, something that used to be our birthright during the time of these guys. That’s why they are remembered. Plus some are no longer with us, shouldn’t we give them their flowers while they can still smell them? Haba...
I suppose that the 94 set went on to do the opposite?