Reyes signed for Arsenal?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

okuns
Egg
Egg
Reyes signed for Arsenal?

Post by okuns »

Culled from Football365.com

Arsenal have signed Spanish winger Jose Antonio Reyes from Sevilla, according to the player.

The 20-year-old revealed on his personal website, www.joseantonioreyes.com, that he has agreed to join the Barclaycard Premiership leaders.

``I'm the happiest man and the saddest man in the world at the same time,'' he said.

``I'm leaving the best team in Spain to join the best team in England.''

Spanish international winger Reyes will join in a £24m deal this week, according to leading Spanish newspaper Marca.

They claim that Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein is in Seville this week to tie up details of the deal for the 20-year-old winger and that he will fly to London for a medical in the next few days.

Reyes' agent Jesus Rodriguez said last month that Arsenal had had a £21m bid turned for Reyes and predicted that they would not be able to match the asking price.

"Arsenal have been the only English team to make a bid, but I think the only team in England that can afford him is Chelsea - and possibly Manchester United," said Rodriguez, who seems to have been proved wrong.

Although contracted to Seville until 2010, Reyes himself has previously said: "I will not be here forever. I know Arsenal are interested in me and I believe I would be a success in the Premiership."

Arsenal initially made a bid in July for Reyes but it is thought that they offered only £10m. President Jose Mario Del Nido said at the time: "We haven't so much rejected Arsenal's offer as laughed our socks off about it.

"I told their vice-chairman David Dein for that money we wouldn't give him Reyes' boots. He said they must be very expensive boots.

"Nobody in our squad is indispensable and in the modern economics of football, everybody must have their price - it's just that Arsenal have got the wrong one for Reyes."

It seems they might have the right one this time.