MRI finds 6 AFCON U17 players overage

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
MRI finds 6 AFCON U17 players overage

Post by 1naija »

MRI tests find six players as being overage at CAF U17 finals15th April 2019
http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2019 ... 17-finals/

April 15 – Six players have been banned from taking part in the U17 Africa Cup of Nations in Tanzania after failing MRI tests to determine their age and eligibility for the competition. 

The hosts kicked off the competition with a spectacular 4-5 defeat at the hands of Nigeria in the opening match of the junior competition, but the early stages of the event have been overshadowed by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) stopping six players from taking part in the tournament after failing MRI tests.

The hosts had one player banned from the tournament, but Cameroon were the most affected team with three players, according to the BBC. FIFA has used MRI scans since 2009 to ensure players are eligible for youth competitions, but doubts remain over the accuracy of the test.

Pre-competitions cardiac exam (PCCA) records were also used and consulted to determine the eligibility of players as CAF tried to clamp down on any form of age-cheating.

The tournament in Tanzania also serves as the qualification process for the U-17 World Cup. The best two teams from each group will automatically book their place at the tournament in Brazil later this year. In the other group A game Angola defeated Uganda 1-0. The tournament will conclude with the final on April 28 in Dar Es Salaam, host city for all the competition’s matches.

Contact the writer of this story, Samindra Kunti, at moc.llabtoofdlrowedisni@ofni

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: MRI finds 6 AFCON U17 players overage

Post by 1naija »

After the fact, txj, how come no Nigerian player was disqualified? Abi you didnt share your own test result with CAF?
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

1naija wrote:After the fact, txj, how come no Nigerian player was disqualified? Abi you didnt share your own test result with CAF?
Nigeria has moved on from letting old men look for glory before they retire!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
1naija wrote:After the fact, txj, how come no Nigerian player was disqualified? Abi you didnt share your own test result with CAF?
Nigeria has moved on from letting old men look for glory before they retire!
Does ATF know this?
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Start threatening these players will jail time when they are caught.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

1naija wrote:

April 15 – Six players have been banned from taking part in the U17 Africa Cup of Nations in Tanzania after failing MRI tests to determine their age and eligibility for the competition.

The hosts kicked off the competition with a spectacular 4-5 defeat at the hands of Nigeria in the opening match of the junior competition, but the early stages of the event have been overshadowed by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) stopping six players from taking part in the tournament after failing MRI tests.

The hosts had one player banned from the tournament, but Cameroon were the most affected team with three players, according to the BBC. FIFA has used MRI scans since 2009 to ensure players are eligible for youth competitions, but doubts remain over the accuracy of the test.

Pre-competitions cardiac exam (PCCA) records were also used and consulted to determine the eligibility of players as CAF tried to clamp down on any form of age-cheating.

The tournament in Tanzania also serves as the qualification process for the U-17 World Cup. The best two teams from each group will automatically book their place at the tournament in Brazil later this year. In the other group A game Angola defeated Uganda 1-0. The tournament will conclude with the final on April 28 in Dar Es Salaam, host city for all the competition’s matches.

Contact the writer of this story, Samindra Kunti, at moc.llabtoofdlrowedisni@ofni
Which cardiac exams can help determine a player's eligibility?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

Contact the writer of this story, Samindra Kunti, at moc.llabtoofdlrowedisni@ofni
Fake!Fake! News :P :P
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Kabalega wrote:
1naija wrote:

Pre-competitions cardiac exam (PCCA) records were also used and consulted to determine the eligibility of players as CAF tried to clamp down on any form of age-cheating.

Which cardiac exams can help determine a player's eligibility?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I don't think the writer knows what the hell he is talking about.
The PCCA is probably done to ensure their hearts are in good shape and that they won't collapse and die on the field as a result of a pre-existing heart condition, a la Okwaraji.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Benedict Iroha wrote:Start threatening these players will jail time when they are caught.
If we where talking about countries that where run by laws (they respected) and accountability I’ll agree but if birth certificates where available and records where kept like they are supposed to be then they would be committing fraud but since most African countries don’t really take such things seriously enough I don’t think locking them up will change much.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

I am shocked.
How the hell could this happen ?
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

AGain, I say, MRI is not accurate. Some woudl fail and some would pass.

those 2013 boys where NOT under 17.

And not even majority of the current set though they are better than the past sets
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Senator WIRES wrote:
Fake!Fake! News :P :P
Use Google. That's not the only report on it. Even Suya posted an article on it on his Facebook page. And he is the business.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

chief nfachairman wrote:AGain, I say, MRI is not accurate. Some woudl fail and some would pass.

And not even majority of the current set though they are better than the past sets
Feelings or backupable fact?

I think I know the answer...
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Damunk wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:AGain, I say, MRI is not accurate. Some woudl fail and some would pass.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

Show some data on sensitivity and specificity of MRI for this indication. No test is perfect but surely must be a lot better than a forged birth certificate. If our kids pass it, we should accept it
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Gotti wrote:
Damunk wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

MRi is accurate enough....Nobody is saying its perfect...even FIFA concedes in its own studies that its 99.6% accurate...which is pretty good and better than relying on Passports or the honor system.

What's different between 2013 and 2019 is that they are now conducting multiple and more more rigorus independent and well monitored testing of the players. FIFA is also going to be testing 4 players at random after each game during the tournament.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

JACKAL wrote:

MRi is accurate enough....Nobody is saying its perfect...even FIFA concedes in its own studies that its 99.6% accurate...which is pretty good and better than relying on Passports or the honor system.

What's different between 2013 and 2019 is that they are now conducting multiple and more more rigorus independent and well monitored testing of the players. FIFA is also going to be testing 4 players at random after each game during the tournament.
FIFA should leave Naija alone
It was not their intention to cheat
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Glad it’s none of our players we are doing a better job. :thumbs:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote:Glad it’s none of our players we are doing a better job. :thumbs:
Yes.
The only thing I'd add to that is that it would be unfair to accuse all those that 'failed' the MRI test of "cheating", i.e. being "overage".

If this test were universally applied and they performed it on ALL U17 players from all over the world, a certain percentage of those young boys with certified birth certificates will "fail" the test - even those that might have passed it a few months before.

In a youth, the bones are growing and eventually fusing at different rates and at different times.
It is an imprecise science and therefore not 100% foolproof.

It is similar to what in medicine is termed 'false positives' (which you find in highly or overly sensitive tests) and 'false negatives' which is the opposite. Who knows how many rushed to call him a "cheat".
Thank God he is now the one laughing last.