Why this AFCON is a Referendum on Rohr....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Why this AFCON is a Referendum on Rohr....

Post by Enugu II »

In essence, the questioning of Rohr is located in his inability to set down markers on the road to a trophy, medal, or memorable finish among the major tournament teams. It is what is lacking in his tenure. Beyond those markers, Rohr has confidently put up the best efficiency of any Nigerian coach that has coached the team for at least four years (see Table 1). This efficiency record of 0.630 is ahead of the often revered Westerhoff, Keshi, and Tiko. None of those trio has achieved that level of efficiency. What it means is that Rohr has built a consistently successful Nigerian team in terms of match performance.
But what the above also says about Rohr is that he should now be on a short leash, achieve at the AFCON (medal round) or face replacement. That, ultimately, is why the trio of Westerhoff, Keshi, and Tiko are revered. The excuse that Rohr had the youngest squad at the last World Cup cannot possibly be a compelling excuse at the Summer AFCON. Ranked number 3 out of 24 teams at the AFCON, Nigeria certainly is one of the favorites and it is on Rohr's shoulder that the performance shall be evaluated. He can begin to set the marker by finishing in the medal round to earn himself a reprieve.
When the AFCON final is concluded July 19 in Cairo, Rohr's fate would have been stamped. Place among the medal log or out in search of the next employment. That will be the reality then. The efficiency scores will matter very little because the benchmarks for him are not managers whose records are tied on high efficiency scores but managers whose legacy are based on setting down markers and kissing trophies.
Details can be found by clicking on this link:

https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2019/04/ ... rohrs.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Why this AFCON is a Referendum on Rohr....

Post by Damunk »

I don't think the 'youngest team' factor is of much significance at this AFCON, even though they are indeed a young squad.
I believe the main reason why it was a factor at the WC was because the squad was the youngest and only about 6 or 7 of the 23 man squad had any previous tournament experience of any kind, which of course, is no longer the case.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

With the level of support from NFF, he will have no excuse at the AFCON.

If others had HALF that support, we will be WC winner :taunt:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

wanaj0 wrote:With the level of support from NFF, he will have no excuse at the AFCON.

If others had HALF that support, we will be WC winner :taunt:
Yup, makes perfect sense. :lol:
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Which support? The man is presently owed salary in arrears because he isn’t complaining you’re insulting him.
hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

john12 wrote:Which support? The man is presently owed salary in arrears because he isn’t complaining you’re insulting him.
Owed salaries but does not have his job security questioned on the front pages of the newspapers by his bosses like Keshi while owed salaries, or had a sports minister on his case like Alex Akinyele and Westerhof. Has not had to buy balls for practice aka Onigbinde or used his own money to pay for hotel rooms for his players like Oliseh and Siasia is if my memory serves me correctly.

His employment condition is not marginally worse than his predecessor if one chooses to be generous about it.

He rightfully got credit for qualifying Nigeria for the WC with ease from what was on paper and reputation a difficult qualifying group. I think the NFF did the right thing by keeping him on despite our disappointment over the not qualifying out of our WC group, I think it would have been unfair and stupid to have sacked him following the mundial.

The last time Nigeria finished outside the medal zone in the ANC was with the hapless Vogts. A bronze medal is the minimum requirement to have him eligible to stay on his job, Amodu (x2) and Egu were kicked out despite achieving bronze medal placements.

He has the advantage of players who have been to at least 2 world cups (Musa, Mikel, Omeruh) and add Onazi and Echejile (should he opt to take them along potentially as previous ANC winners), a decent chunk of his team would have had one World Cup experience under their belt. He has the choice of a potentially exciting bunch of attacking players coming through, it is up to him if he chooses an Ighalo over them.

I will like most other true Nigerian fans in the past allow him the rightful choice of picking his team as he should sink or swim with their performance. I am not a coach and he is the expert here.

The standards however should not be lowered for him when it comes to ANC performances. Reach the medal zone with a creditable performance and be considered for a continued stay on the job of pick his pink slip from Cairo.

As per recent Nigerian standards, coaching in 2 tournaments is more than enough opportunity to prove your mettle. If he wants to go to the next WC as Nigeria’s coach he better be coming back with the gold or a bronze medal due to the Eagles losing out from rubbish officiating or being terribly unlucky by hitting the upright 500 times in the semis.

The benefit of the doubt gets shorter by the day, he has to earn the right to continue to coach the team.

God knows I wish him all the very best.
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

hestonap wrote:
john12 wrote:Which support? The man is presently owed salary in arrears because he isn’t complaining you’re insulting him.
Owed salaries but does not have his job security questioned on the front pages of the newspapers by his bosses like Keshi while owed salaries, or had a sports minister on his case like Alex Akinyele and Westerhof. Has not had to buy balls for practice aka Onigbinde or used his own money to pay for hotel rooms for his players like Oliseh and Siasia is if my memory serves me correctly.

His employment condition is not marginally worse than his predecessor if one chooses to be generous about it.

He rightfully got credit for qualifying Nigeria for the WC with ease from what was on paper and reputation a difficult qualifying group. I think the NFF did the right thing by keeping him on despite our disappointment over the not qualifying out of our WC group, I think it would have been unfair and stupid to have sacked him following the mundial.

The last time Nigeria finished outside the medal zone in the ANC was with the hapless Vogts. A bronze medal is the minimum requirement to have him eligible to stay on his job, Amodu (x2) and Egu were kicked out despite achieving bronze medal placements.

He has the advantage of players who have been to at least 2 world cups (Musa, Mikel, Omeruh) and add Onazi and Echejile (should he opt to take them along potentially as previous ANC winners), a decent chunk of his team would have had one World Cup experience under their belt. He has the choice of a potentially exciting bunch of attacking players coming through, it is up to him if he chooses an Ighalo over them.

I will like most other true Nigerian fans in the past allow him the rightful choice of picking his team as he should sink or swim with their performance. I am not a coach and he is the expert here.

The standards however should not be lowered for him when it comes to ANC performances. Reach the medal zone with a creditable performance and be considered for a continued stay on the job of pick his pink slip from Cairo.

As per recent Nigerian standards, coaching in 2 tournaments is more than enough opportunity to prove your mettle. If he wants to go to the next WC as Nigeria’s coach he better be coming back with the gold or a bronze medal due to the Eagles losing out from rubbish officiating or being terribly unlucky by hitting the upright 500 times in the semis.

The benefit of the doubt gets shorter by the day, he has to earn the right to continue to coach the team.

THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

hestonap wrote:

KPOM. I agree that it would have been a ridiculous move to sack him after the World Cup. Perhaps one of the worst move ever made. Glad the NFF resisted those calls that were shocking. The truth, however, is that he must place in the medal stage at the AFCON in order to survive.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

I'm not a fan of FC's but Rohr is on the right track. The AFCON shouldn't be a referendum on him. Let's remember that it took Westerhof 5 years to finally win the Afcon with the amount of unprecedented talents at his disposal.
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Are we basing this on strength of squad or national aspirations?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ekorian wrote:I'm not a fan of FC's but Rohr is on the right track. The AFCON shouldn't be a referendum on him. Let's remember that it took Westerhof 5 years to finally win the Afcon with the amount of unprecedented talents at his disposal.
Rohr is one of the longest serving coaches for the SE. It sounds weird but true. He is now in his fourth year and that is why this AFCON is crucial.

I think, however, that Rohr will come good. The SE has the easiest group phase EVER placed by Nigeria. Not only is our group the easiest by far in this AFCON, but four third-placed teams will make it. It has NEVER BEEN THIS EASY! For me, the real test is the elimination phase of the tourney and Rohr would have to win just two of those games to have a chance of staying on the job.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Uncle EII, e be like say you just buy new typewriter wey still dey shack so you just wan type type type away. Which referendum?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

hestonap wrote:

God luck with john12, he simply ignores valid points...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

Enugu II wrote:
Ekorian wrote:I'm not a fan of FC's but Rohr is on the right track. The AFCON shouldn't be a referendum on him. Let's remember that it took Westerhof 5 years to finally win the Afcon with the amount of unprecedented talents at his disposal.
Rohr is one of the longest serving coaches for the SE. It sounds weird but true. He is now in his fourth year and that is why this AFCON is crucial.

I think, however, that Rohr will come good. The SE has the easiest group phase EVER placed by Nigeria. Not only is our group the easiest by far in this AFCON, but four third-placed teams will make it. It has NEVER BEEN THIS EASY! For me, the real test is the elimination phase of the tourney and Rohr would have to win just two of those games to have a chance of staying on the job.
That's if we're not going there to learn.
...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. - Phil. 2: 12

...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. - Josh. 24: 15

"You need to grow up and respect the fact that people can disagree with you without you getting personal about it. People have a right to express their opinion and you have no right to try and suppress the rights of others because you do not like or disagree with it." - Waffiman
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote:

Slightly misleading, Chief.
He has been on the job for 2 years and 8 months - from August 2016 to date.
I guess you are looking at 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019....but the reality is that he has not even managed the team for three years yet. :idea:
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Enugu II wrote:
hestonap wrote:

KPOM. I agree that it would have been a ridiculous move to sack him after the World Cup. Perhaps one of the worst move ever made. Glad the NFF resisted those calls that were shocking. The truth, however, is that he must place in the medal stage at the AFCON in order to survive.
We sacked coaches that qualified us for the world cup so sacking one after the WC cannot qualify as the 'worst'.

Sacking him AFTER the WC would have led to a reset and give us time to prepare for the WC IF we believe he is taking is nowhere.

However, some believed he is on the RIGHT track so the ANC will be another time for evaluation. Not reaching the SF of the ANC should be an indication of how far he can lead us and there should be no debate again about his suitability.

Winning the ANC however should GUARANTEE him the job till after the WC.

This is a result oriented business!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

wanaj0 wrote:We sacked coaches that qualified us for the world cup so sacking one after the WC cannot qualify as the 'worst'.

Sacking him AFTER the WC would have led to a reset and give us time to prepare for the WC IF we believe he is taking is nowhere.

However, some believed he is on the RIGHT track so the ANC will be another time for evaluation. Not reaching the SF of the ANC should be an indication of how far he can lead us and there should be no debate again about his suitability.

Winning the ANC however should GUARANTEE him the job till after the WC.

This is a result oriented business!
You've left out a huge gap between failing to reach the SF on the one hand and winning the ANC on the other: beaten finalists, third place and beaten semi-finalists

What do we do? :idea: