USA: MLS Expanding Quickly.......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bell
Egg
Egg
Re: USA: MLS Expanding Quickly.......

Post by Bell »

txj wrote:I have always maintained that the problem with successfully building and sustainably running pro clubs in Nigeria is not so much the absence of money as it is of poor management.

The MLS, I think is on its way to becoming the #1 football league outside Europe. Especially if the plan to merge with the Mexican league comes to fruition...

The cost of a franchise atm is $150m!
txj, I SURE HAVEN'T HEARD TALK ABOUT THE US & MEXICAN MERGER, BUT...

…if true, it could become a regional league comprising Canada, the US and Mexico. This is not unlike what I've been proposing here for selected W. African countries, with one to three teams each, to form a regional league. (If it works, it could be replicated in other African regions and even in other continents). Without going into all the details, in many respects, they won't be inferior to leagues in Europe.

There's not been a big rush to discuss it, much less consider it seriously. But wait till it's implemented in N. America (where the traveling distances would be much more challenging) and it would be embraced as common sense.

Another proposal I've put out here a few times is a domestic Nigerian league with anywhere from 10 - 12 teams due to available talent, meaning it's not going to one-state-one team. It would fully private and professional. Again, conditions would be somewhat comparable to those overseas. No one so far has bought into this. Nigerians are simply not interested in homegrown ideas.

FIFA should be pushing for things like this because world soccer is overly concentrated in Europe for a sport that sees itself as worldwide.
Bell
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

mcal wrote:...great moves. See as their millionaires and billionaires are investing in local sport but our own often celebrated riches wan go buy Arsenal, foreign clubs. Classic money mis-road.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are funny. Nothing more funny than seeing a poor man tell a rich man where and how to spend his own money. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you had money will you invest in the Nigerian league? :lol: :lol: A league where the turnout is crap, the sponsors are not interested, there is corruption among referees and the league. and infrastructure is sh*t! You think these men became wealthy by making poorly thought out investments? or that they base their investments on emotions? - "I love Nigeria" "I love football!" etc etc?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Abeg no make me laugh. When you make your own billions, you can sink it in the financial black hole that is Nigerian local football. Good luck.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

danfo driver wrote:
mcal wrote:...great moves. See as their millionaires and billionaires are investing in local sport but our own often celebrated riches wan go buy Arsenal, foreign clubs. Classic money mis-road.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are funny. Nothing more funny than seeing a poor man tell a rich man where and how to spend his own money. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you had money will you invest in the Nigerian league? :lol: :lol: A league where the turnout is crap, the sponsors are not interested, there is corruption among referees and the league. and infrastructure is sh*t! You think these men became wealthy by making poorly thought out investments? or that they base their investments on emotions? - "I love Nigeria" "I love football!" etc etc?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Abeg no make me laugh. When you make your own billions, you can sink it in the financial black hole that is Nigerian local football. Good luck.
...with that thought of yours we should all stop complaining, or talking about the corrupt government in Nigeria, after all the crooks are rich men politicians stealing your money. Who are we to tell them how to govern/spend our money.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Bell wrote:
txj wrote:I have always maintained that the problem with successfully building and sustainably running pro clubs in Nigeria is not so much the absence of money as it is of poor management.

The MLS, I think is on its way to becoming the #1 football league outside Europe. Especially if the plan to merge with the Mexican league comes to fruition...

…if true, it could become a regional league comprising Canada, the US and Mexico. This is not unlike what I've been proposing here for selected W. African countries, with one to three teams each, to form a regional league. (If it works, it could be replicated in other African regions and even in other continents). Without going into all the details, in many respects, they won't be inferior to leagues in Europe.

There's not been a big rush to discuss it, much less consider it seriously. But wait till it's implemented in N. America (where the traveling distances would be much more challenging) and it would be embraced as common sense.

Another proposal I've put out here a few times is a domestic Nigerian league with anywhere from 10 - 12 teams due to available talent, meaning it's not going to one-state-one team. It would fully private and professional. Again, conditions would be somewhat comparable to those overseas. No one so far has bought into this. Nigerians are simply not interested in homegrown ideas.

FIFA should be pushing for things like this because world soccer is overly concentrated in Europe for a sport that sees itself as worldwide.
Bell

Its not the business of FIFA to push for it, but for local FAs and confederations to do what they think best for them.

The conditions in N. America make such a league potentially interesting. I just don't see it in West Africa. What I see instead is the opportunity of building a powerful Nigerian league that transcends the Nigerian border. We are a very, very long way from that, based on the type of characters around our football.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

txj wrote:
Bell wrote:

Bell

Its not the business of FIFA to push for it, but for local FAs and confederations to do what they think best for them.

The conditions in N. America make such a league potentially interesting. I just don't see it in West Africa. What I see instead is the opportunity of building a powerful Nigerian league that transcends the Nigerian border. We are a very, very long way from that, based on the type of characters around our football.

I TOTALLY DISAGREE

FIFA is the de facto trustees of world soccer and it's their responsibility, thru cajoling and other subtle means, to be sure that their federations are performing and keeping the sport alive and growing in their region. This is not a call for FIFA to invest money in these federations or to tell them what structure to adopt: just to do whatever they decide makes sense. Currently, only EUFA (CONCACAF is coming along) can be said to be performing.

A Nigerian league can absolutely work, but a WA regional league (like you said the US and Mexico are talking about) can work even better. It just takes committed people who believe in themselves to do, People who are not waiting for others to do it before they are confident enough to try it. Let Africa for once be the trailblazers.
Bell
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Bell wrote:
txj wrote:
Bell wrote:

Bell

I TOTALLY DISAGREE

FIFA is the de facto trustees of world soccer and it's their responsibility, thru cajoling and other subtle means, to be sure that their federations are performing and keeping the sport alive and growing in their region. This is not a call for FIFA to invest money in these federations or to tell them what structure to adopt: just to do whatever they decide makes sense. Currently, only EUFA (CONCACAF is coming along) can be said to be performing.

A Nigerian league can absolutely work, but a WA regional league (like you said the US and Mexico are talking about) can work even better. It just takes committed people who believe in themselves to do, People who are not waiting for others to do it before they are confident enough to try it. Let Africa for once be the trailblazers.
Bell
A west African League won't work, travel is bad, support for teams is scare, infrastructure is non existent.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Bell wrote:
txj wrote:
Bell wrote:

Bell

I TOTALLY DISAGREE

Bell
Federations and Confederations will do what they consider in their best interest. They do not need FIFA for this. In fact, those thinking of regional leagues want nothing to do with FIFA or UEFA!

Our focus for now should be firmly on building a Nigerian league that is a magnet for the entire West African coast...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

kalani JR wrote:
Bell wrote:
txj wrote:
Bell wrote:

Bell

I TOTALLY DISAGREE

Bell
A west African League won't work, travel is bad, support for teams is scare, infrastructure is non existent.

I BELIEVE YOU'RE ASSUMING THINGS REMAIN THE SAME, WHICH I'M NOT

Although I didn't provide details, I stated in my earlier posts that conditions won't be markedly inferior to what obtains in Europe. With a total of about 20 teams, you'd get a few rich people (or consortiums or corporations) in each country to acquire one of the 1 - 3 the teams in their country. Stadiums would be functional if not gaudy and teams may occasionally play outside their primary stadium. The league would be governed by a professional management team and the conduct of owners and players would be part of a legally-binding contract.

Travel and accommodation would be first class and regulated - air travel is getting better and the farthest distance can be covered in three hours. Matches would be covered by cable TV and merchandizing would be world class. With the natural rivalries within and between countries I can see stadiums filled for every game and TV highly subscribed across the region. The quality of the league and high salaries would bring back virtually all of the region's stars (many of whom are facing issues overseas) and even players from outside the region. In no way am I thinking that the top players would be those left in the various domestic leagues today.

Think of what all this means to aspiring NT players and national coaches who do not now have to travel round the world to scout for players.
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

txj wrote:
Bell wrote:
txj wrote:
Bell wrote:

Bell

I TOTALLY DISAGREE

Bell
Federations and Confederations will do what they consider in their best interest. They do not need FIFA for this. In fact, those thinking of regional leagues want nothing to do with FIFA or UEFA!

Our focus for now should be firmly on building a Nigerian league that is a magnet for the entire West African coast...
ALONG THE LINES I STATED, THAT IS...

...a limited number of fully privatized and fully professional league, playing under modern conditions, and managed professionally, a domestic league can work. However, when the entire population of the region is considered for reasons of quality, available wealthy owners, rivalries, attendance and TV reasons, I think a regional league would be superior. I'm not suggesting that they need FIFA any more than current leagues do but they'll be playing under FIFA umbrella.
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

AS AN ASIDE...

...defending champions Atlanta FC is fast depleting the goodwill built over the last two years, winning only one out of six matches with five points. I wonder how much more time coach Frank deBoer will be allowed.
Bell
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Bell wrote:AS AN ASIDE...

...defending champions Atlanta FC is fast depleting the goodwill built over the last two years, winning only one out of six matches with five points. I wonder how much more time coach Frank deBoer will be allowed.
Bell
OMGG!! I forgot to keep track on him. I remembered when they hired him and i laughed for a good 1 minute! :lol: :lol:

Frank De Boer is genuinely one of the worst coaches in the history of football. No joke! he is horrible. I still dont know how he won those titles with Ajax, because he is truly poor! Failed at Inter, failed at Crystal Palace and I expected him to fail again in Atlanta. SO, not surprised to hear he is failing again.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
JACKAL wrote:I already wrote that the center of the football world is about to shift from Just western Europe. It will be shared between China, USA and Western Europe.... The world is awash with Money and the 1%-ers are looking for places to put their money...

Nigeria has a shot of creating a small shift and making it the Main development league in Africa if it changes how the game is run in Nigeria.. shifting from quasi government control to a full fledged free market Industry. You guys already see La-liga making a play for the Nigerian market with all the corporative agreements they are signing with the league, clubs and academy's. Chuckweze is a tip of the ice berg..
I certainly agree with your take on the potential in Nigeria. However, it will be a stiff fight to achieve what you stated above. Think of the difficulty of improving electricity supply in Nigeria. It may sound a bizarre analogy but I use it to point to the entrenchment of a profiteering class that resists change in the industry. That is what is suffocating Nigerias football. The profiteers attached to the state make it difficult to disentangle state stranglehold on the game.

As for your prediction on the shift, I actually will argue somewhat against your prediction. It is not about to shift, it is ACTUALLY shifting. However, my belief is that the early symptoms that you point to in terms of the USA and China neglects the rather obvious impact of the Middle East. What you see with the Middle East in capturing media control (Beinsport e.g.) and then ownership of major Euro clubs, is moving towards a different stage which is situating the league in their homeland. These early stages are notable already in the attempt by the owner of Pyramids FC in Egypt and the early associated developments in both Saudi Arabia and Qatar.

Neither China nor the Middle East countries have the basis to create a sustainable top league in the near future, moreso the latter.
Txj,

What are the basis?
talent base..
Txj,

Is that all? I would think that the basis will be more than just talent. Are there other significant ones?

without a talent base, its hard to go to anything else...

lack of a Talent base is the easist thing to overcome...and the chinese already put a plan in place for that....Their government has put a 30 year plan in place to win the WC. They are spending tons of money as we speak and creating specialty soccer schools all over china. Have a super functioning league top talent to learn from as we speak.. They have 1.5 Billion people.. That is the biggest advantage they have. .their captive market population. They will solve the Talent problem within the next 10 years. They are a soccer mad country..I am confident they will get there...South Korea did it, why cant china..?
A statement published Monday also outlines plans to have at least 20,000 soccer training centers and 70,000 pitches in place by 2020. Every county should have two full-size soccer fields, says the document, and every new urban residential compound should have at least one five-a-side court.
http://time.com/4290251/china-soccer-su ... world-cup/
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

JACKAL wrote:
lack of a Talent base is the easist thing to overcome...and the chinese already put a plan in place for that....Their government has put a 30 year plan in place to win the WC. They are spending tons of money as we speak and creating specialty soccer schools all over china. Have a super functioning league top talent to learn from as we speak.. They have 1.5 Billion people.. That is the biggest advantage they have. .their captive market population. They will solve the Talent problem within the next 10 years. They are a soccer mad country..I am confident they will get there...South Korea did it, why cant china..?
A statement published Monday also outlines plans to have at least 20,000 soccer training centers and 70,000 pitches in place by 2020. Every county should have two full-size soccer fields, says the document, and every new urban residential compound should have at least one five-a-side court.
http://time.com/4290251/china-soccer-su ... world-cup/

They could overcome it, but it's not a question of having 1.5 billion people. If I had to bet on anyone doing it, I'll take them over the Middle East countries.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Bell wrote:
txj wrote:
Bell wrote:
txj wrote:
Bell wrote:

Bell

I TOTALLY DISAGREE

Bell

ALONG THE LINES I STATED, THAT IS...

...a limited number of fully privatized and fully professional league, playing under modern conditions, and managed professionally, a domestic league can work. However, when the entire population of the region is considered for reasons of quality, available wealthy owners, rivalries, attendance and TV reasons, I think a regional league would be superior. I'm not suggesting that they need FIFA any more than current leagues do but they'll be playing under FIFA umbrella.
Bell

I think we first need to build a top pro league. And with our people, I have ZERO hope...

Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

kalani JR wrote:
Bell wrote:
txj wrote:
Bell wrote:

Bell

I TOTALLY DISAGREE

Bell
WOULD LIKE TO ADDRESS YOUR THREE ALLEGED IMPEDIMENTS

1) TRAVEL IS BAD (NOT TRUE)
Travel is adequate and getting better. It'd be extremenly easy to contract with one of the airlines to be the official carrier. I'm sure Ethiopian would be glad to sign that contract.

2) SUPPORT FOR TEAMS IS SCARCE (SURE)
Why shouldn't it be, given the shambolic conditions the game is played today. My proposal involves upgrading management, talent, infrastruture, travel & accommodation, introducing subscription TV, players salaries and other conditions. I have no doubt this will result in high quality matches and building on existing rivalries. If people in the region can follow the likes of the EPL passionately, I guarantee they can support this even more and relegate foreign leagues to second place. That's the way it used to be.

3) INFRASTRUCTURE IS NON-EXISTENT (TRUE)
Again, my plan for upgrade of facilities to be funtional if not gaudy so it's not depending on current conditions. If the owners see the promise of future cash influx, they'd be willing to invest in the necessary infrastruture.

Problems are meant to identified and solved, not an excuse for doing nothing.
Bell
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Bell wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Bell wrote:
txj wrote:
Bell wrote:

Bell

I TOTALLY DISAGREE

Bell

Travel is adequate and getting better. It'd be extremenly easy to contract with one of the airlines to be the official carrier. I'm sure Ethiopian would be glad to sign that contract.

Why shouldn't it be, given the shambolic conditions the game is played today. My proposal involves upgrading management, talent, infrastruture, travel & accommodation, introducing subscription TV, players salaries and other conditions. I have no doubt this will result in high quality matches and building on existing rivalries. If people in the region can follow the likes of the EPL passionately, I guarantee they can support this even more and relegate foreign leagues to second place. That's the way it used to be.

Again, my plan for upgrade of facilities to be funtional if not gaudy so it's not depending on current conditions. If the owners see the promise of future cash influx, they'd be willing to invest in the necessary infrastruture.

Bell
Travel is bad, there are a lack of non stop flights (the connecting ones are already prohibitively expensive), road travel is longer than should be, there is no adequate rail system. It is not a matter of giving an airline a contract to reduce these fares, they want to be able to have more Africans flying but governments refuse to allow that.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

kalani JR wrote:
Bell wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Bell wrote:
txj wrote:
Bell wrote:

Bell

I TOTALLY DISAGREE

Bell

Bell
Travel is bad, there are a lack of non stop flights (the connecting ones are already prohibitively expensive), road travel is longer than should be, there is no adequate rail system. It is not a matter of giving an airline a contract to reduce these fares, they want to be able to have more Africans flying but governments refuse to allow that.
JUST TO BE SURE...

…you're saying this alleged transportation difficulties are enough to scuttle an otherwise good idea? Let's not forget, FIBA and the NBA have combined to have an African basketball league which might cover more mileage apparently undeterred by these transportation difficulties. Unless they haven't done their homework. Which I doubt.

Not too many new ideas come without obstacles and problems but people who want to accomplish things look for ways around them. Somehow, in Africa, it seems people are looking for pretexts to keep from embarking on new things.
Bell