Mathematical Segun Odegbami [Video Clip]

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Mathematical Segun Odegbami [Video Clip]

Post by Lolly »

Agbako wrote:
bushboy wrote:Not as impressed as I expected to be. Henry Onyekuru's highlights look far more impressive to me. I'm just saying. I don't doubt Odegbami was a great player tho. I've heard the stories.

No wonder you wear ya name well. They are comparing a legend to real talents of today like Ronaldo see how you exposing yaself. na wah ooo
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

bushboy wrote:Not as impressed as I expected to be. Henry Onyekuru's highlights look far more impressive to me. I'm just saying. I don't doubt Odegbami was a great player tho. I've heard the stories.
Bro, there are highlights, and there are highlights...

Look again: the highlights shown on this clip are from high profile international games...Onyekuru's highlights are probably from games against some clubs in backwater leagues...
You can turn tricks against any number of 'naive' opposition...the deal is to do it against high-level opposition...

Odegbami's highlights here are against Egypt, Morocco, etc.. High-pressure games against 'elite' opponents...

As I commented before, these highlights on this clip are merely a tip of the ice-berg...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

FATHER TIKO,

I think you are trying too hard to convince a guy who has no clue on Odegbami. I'll at least give Busboy some kudos that he refers to just "highlights" which perhaps acknowledges that highlights do not make a player. In terms of the real thing, it is sacrilege to compare Onyekuru with a guy who will be in contention with GOAT Nigerian player. Think about this, Odegbami completed a Nigerian career scoring at a clip of 0.50 goals a game i.e.. a goal in every two games! No Nigerian striker (Uche Kalu, Aiyegbeni, Martins, etc.) is in that range of scoring clip! And here we are, it is Onyekuru's name that came up in comparison. Lord Have Mercy! Tufiakwa !!! The comparison is simply ridiculous. When Onyekuru can be ranked in ANY GIVEN year among Africa's Top 5 players just maybe we can then even hint on such comparison. Until then, the idea of a comparison is simply a nonstarter.
FATHER TIKO wrote:

Look again: the highlights shown on this clip are from high profile international games...Onyekuru's highlights are probably from games against some clubs in backwater leagues...
You can turn tricks against any number of 'naive' opposition...the deal is to do it against high-level opposition...

Odegbami's highlights here are against Egypt, Morocco, etc.. High-pressure games against 'elite' opponents...

As I commented before, these highlights on this clip are merely a tip of the ice-berg...
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

I'm not sure what I have said wrong. I never watched Odegbami play, but I have heard talk of his legend (which I do not doubt) and when I saw this video clip, I rushed to watch it expecting to be blown away, but I wasn't. For the most part, I saw a player dancing unnecessarily with the ball, only to eventually release a 3 yard pass.
All I'm saying is if the names on highlight clips are deleted and played, and someone showed me this, then showed me Onyekuru and asked me to pick one, I would pick Onyekuru based on HIGHLIGHTS alone.
Just being honest.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

bushboy wrote:I'm not sure what I have said wrong. I never watched Odegbami play, but I have heard talk of his legend (which I do not doubt) and when I saw this video clip, I rushed to watch it expecting to be blown away, but I wasn't. For the most part, I saw a player dancing unnecessarily with the ball, only to eventually release a 3 yard pass.
All I'm saying is if the names on highlight clips are deleted and played, and someone showed me this, then showed me Onyekuru and asked me to pick one, I would pick Onyekuru based on HIGHLIGHTS alone.
Just being honest.
Bro, by bringing Onyekuru into the conversation in the first place, you goofed big time...

What exactly is your point here..?
Its like saying you'd pick Onyekuru over Pele simply because Onyekuru's highlights impress you more than Pele's...you've totally discounted the disparity in media coverage over both eras...

For some of us who witnessed Odegbami live..Onyekuru cannot tie his boot-laces...end of story...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Good grief. :shock: Some of those skills are simply outrageous. He must also have cojones the size of coconuts to try that type of trickery back in those days when opposing defenders and midfielders tackled with the savagery of a butcher carving up meat.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
bushboy wrote:I'm not sure what I have said wrong. I never watched Odegbami play, but I have heard talk of his legend (which I do not doubt) and when I saw this video clip, I rushed to watch it expecting to be blown away, but I wasn't. For the most part, I saw a player dancing unnecessarily with the ball, only to eventually release a 3 yard pass.
Just being honest.
Bro, by bringing Onyekuru into the conversation in the first place, you goofed big time...

What exactly is your point here..?
Its like saying you'd pick Onyekuru over Pele simply because Onyekuru's highlights impress you more than Pele's...you've totally discounted the disparity in media coverage over both eras...

For some of us who witnessed Odegbami live..Onyekuru cannot tie his boot-laces...end of story...
Of all ppl Onyekuru lol, these were sublime winger skills shown here!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

wiseone wrote:Good grief. :shock: Some of those skills are simply outrageous. He must also have cojones the size of coconuts to try that type of trickery back in those days when opposing defenders and midfielders tackled with the savagery of a butcher carving up meat.
The video did not do justice to M7, Odegbami was a football 'terrorist' :thumbs: . He was Nigeria's Jayjay before Jayjay......................He was our talisman. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Enugu II wrote:FATHER TIKO,

I think you are trying too hard to convince a guy who has no clue on Odegbami. I'll at least give Busboy some kudos that he refers to just "highlights" which perhaps acknowledges that highlights do not make a player. In terms of the real thing, it is sacrilege to compare Onyekuru with a guy who will be in contention with GOAT Nigerian player. Think about this, Odegbami completed a Nigerian career scoring at a clip of 0.50 goals a game i.e.. a goal in every two games! No Nigerian striker (Uche Kalu, Aiyegbeni, Martins, etc.) is in that range of scoring clip! And here we are, it is Onyekuru's name that came up in comparison. Lord Have Mercy! Tufiakwa !!! The comparison is simply ridiculous. When Onyekuru can be ranked in ANY GIVEN year among Africa's Top 5 players just maybe we can then even hint on such comparison. Until then, the idea of a comparison is simply a nonstarter.
FATHER TIKO wrote:

Yekini? Oyarekhua?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

folem wrote:
Enugu II wrote:FATHER TIKO,

FATHER TIKO wrote:

Yekini? Oyarekhua?
I meant to refer to recent Nigerian strikers that Bushboy would have watched. Certainly, I would not dare underrate Yekini, Usiyen, or the like. If we go back much earlier (including the two that you mention) the best in terms of rate of scoring would actually be Elkanah Onyeali who scored at the clip of 0.79.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Olayemi14
Egg
Egg

Post by Olayemi14 »

Has anyone ever seen his goal against Fes of Morocco in the Club Champions Cup? I believe it was during the away game (1-1) in Fes? He did a leg over, left the defender in dust and sprinted about half the length of the field to score.
Active member of the JOM & JM Fan Clubs. Baba Eleran of Chelsea FC.