Kelechi Nwakali; They warned me not to come to Nigeria

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

kalani JR
Egg
Egg
Re: Kelechi Nwakali; They warned me not to come to Nigeria

Post by kalani JR »

DIMKA76 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
DIMKA76 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
DIMKA76 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
DIMKA76 wrote:Surely he can get a visitors visa and if he has applied before the expiry of his work permit for a renewal, he should be able to continue to play for his club.
Get a visitor's visa when you have a work permit?

Continue to play for your club (work in that country) on a visitor's visa?

Good luck!
Ok let me explain the logic. If as stated he does have a work permit which has now expired, then these would be his options. In European countries, if you apply for Leave before the expiry of the previous one then it is assumed those leave conditions continue pending the outcome of your new application. If he applied late then it means he has no leave and previous leave conditions are null and void.

So there are gaps in the story.
I am not privy to any other information that was not posted on here. In fact, I didnt even click on the link. So, I cannot speak directly to his matter.

However, and I may be wrong, in some countries, it is possible for your work permit to be valid, but your visa expire. So, for instance, you can have a work permit and visa that is both 2 years. Then at the expiration of your work permit, you send in the paperwork to extend it. But you do not need to travel, so you didnt go to the embassy (in your home country) to get a stamp (visa) on your passport. Now, when you want to travel, your work permit is valid; however, your visa has expired because you did not go to the embassy (in your home country) to get a stamp. You will now have to apply for the stamp and then when you are invited for an interview at the embassy, you will travel to your home country and get it stamped there.

I want you to separate "work permit" from "visa." While they come hand in hand, they are actually two separate documents. One is a document you receive from the home office (department of state or in the US, its called USCIS) giving you the right to work, while the other is a stamp which enables you to travel in and out of the country where you work.
All depends on the country the applicant resides in.
I'll say it depends on the company, because there is no country in this world where you are permitted to work with a tourist visa. Even in Nigeria, if the company is a legitimate company, a foreigner cannot work there without an employment visa. I know this for a fact.

So, if you think Porto is going to risk their regulatory standing with the Portuguese government to make a random b-team player happy, then you have got a shock coming your way.
I think you totally misconstrue my point. I made the suggestion that he gets a visitor visa in the possibility he made an application for a work permit before it expired. I did not say he could work on a visitor visa - Just a means of entry as the existing conditions would continue on the proviso he made an application for renewal of his work permit before it expired - Meaning he would be deemed to have a permit to work as it would be an in-time application until the outcome of his application.

The offer of employment is made by his club. In such circumstance, they should be the ones making the moves on his behalf with their Immigration authorities.

Most companies keep a keen eye on would be expatriates visa and work permit status. As we both agree, there are gaps to be filled in his true circs.

In some European countries, the work permit is in itself linked with the working visa - So for instance, if the employee changes employer - changes profession - it becomes invalid.

I would guess footballers come under the Highly skilled (Young and prodigious talent) or entertainer schemes in many Western countries
He can't train or really do anything with Porto under a visitors Visa.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Not sure he himself fully understood the risks he was taking when he chose to honor the call.
Because if he did, he would have declined the invite.

He ought to have exercised due diligence and taken a more cautious approach, especially when he knew his visa situation was precarious, at best.
Gotti wrote:
Siddonlook11 wrote:Lol..let me spell it out, he is tech savvy enough to post pictures ..means he is tech savvy enough to use technology to search for help and do the basic mundane research, this culture of always blaming/wanting others to be accountable is killing our young peoples minds.

Even that agent or club laison was likely a phone call away from this ...

I like the granpa reference I pray i live that long. although I am sure you senoir me wella wella heheheh.
Said young person had apparently already done his “basic mundane research” and duly informed the relevant authorities what would likely happen if he honored the national call. Did you miss that?

Meanwhile, not privy to the process in Portugal but usually the employer should be the entity handling his work permit application. Nonetheless, if Nigeria called him up for national duty and he duly informed them of the situation then Nigerian officials should ensure that they work with whomever they need to resolve the issues. If he refuses to honor a national call-up next time, many of you CE grandpas would be castigating him and/or leading the call for his head (a la Mikel, Moses, etc.).
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Nigeria Football Federation helping Kelechi Nwakali sort visa issue
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48013084
By Oluwashina Okeleji

Kelechi Nwakali played for Nigeria's under-23 team as they beat Libya 4-0 in March in an Olympic qualifier
The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) says it is working hard to secure the visa that will enable stranded youth international Kelechi Nwakali to return to Portugal.

The 20-year-old Arsenal midfielder, who is on loan at FC Porto's B team, is unable to leave Nigeria almost a month after playing in a qualifier for the 2020 Olympic men's football tournament.

Officials confirmed that Nwakali was in Portugal on a single-entry visa and so now needs a renewal to return after he played on 25 March, however, the process is taking longer than they hoped.

"The federation has been working hard to get his visa sorted as quickly as possible, but it's taken longer than expected," NFF's director of communications Ademola Olajire told BBC Sport.

"We hope it will come out after the Easter break to enable Nwakali return to Portugal."

He has made 16 appearances this season for Porto's reserve side, who play in the second tier of Portuguese football, but has now missed the club's last four league matches.

A 2015 Fifa under-17 World Cup and Golden boot winner, Nwakali was snapped up by Arsenal in August 2016 as the Gunners beat a string of Europe's leading sides, including Manchester City, German, Dutch and Spanish clubs to his signing.

He spent time on loan at Dutch clubs VVV-Venlo and MVV Maastricht [two loan spells] between 2016 and 2018 but struggled to make a major impact, before moving to Porto in July 2018.

Back in August, he earned a call-up to the senior Nigeria squad for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier in Seychelles, but did not play.

Nwakali did play for a Nigeria XI in a friendly against Spanish club Atletico Madrid five months before.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Otitokoro wrote:Not sure he himself fully understood the risks he was taking when he chose to honor the call.
Because if he did, he would have declined the invite.

He ought to have exercised due diligence and taken a more cautious approach, especially when he knew his visa situation was precarious, at best.
Nothing in the news story indicates that he did not fully understand the risk...
On the contrary, it specifically states that he specifically explained the specific risks to the NFF.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Siddonlook11 wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:If this true then he needs to sack his agent!
But he has enough phone and computer skills to post pictures ? He cant do basic stuff for himself ?

Not in this day an age people need to do better ..I pray he can sort this out on time and this will not blight his career.
Agreed but why did his agent let him go in the first place?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Sir V wrote:Everything about our players is drama.
Original drama queen!
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

It's really said to see how both Nwakali brothers are not developing like we hoped. Kelechi is struggling in the Portuguese 2nd division while Chidabere was playing in Poland, but not sure if he still has a club. Hope both brothers are able to get their careers back on track.
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Abeg what does the player liaison dept. of NFF actually do ? I dey frustrate gani gani for this kian news in 2019 haba ?
I bet they also have travel visa dept ? Nonsense upon ingredients
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
Siddonlook11 wrote:
But he has enough phone and computer skills to post pictures ? He cant do basic stuff for himself ?

Not in this day an age people need to do better ..I pray he can sort this out on time and this will not blight his career.
You're assuming the agent isn't of the people along with his club who "warned him not to travel" like the thread title says.

Not sure how he's allowed to play for Porto without the necessary documents. What if the team has a road game outside the country? Seems odd.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

theYemster wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
Siddonlook11 wrote:

You're assuming the agent isn't of the people along with his club who "warned him not to travel" like the thread title says.

Not sure how he's allowed to play for Porto without the necessary documents. What if the team has a road game outside the country? Seems odd.
He's left the country before to play for Nigeria!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI