Bocande, Drogba, Eto'o and Yekini

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Bocande, Drogba, Eto'o and Yekini

Post by ANC »

Benedict Iroha wrote:Drogba...Striker of the ball with both legs and a headmaster with his headers! Complete package.

Wake me up if Etoo can score a goal like this:

[/video]

Thank you for the clip. :biggrin: brought some joy into my life now.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

airwolex wrote:Drogba was clutch though. Wasn't as prolific as Etoo or even Yekini but my God he would score BIG goals.
Mr. Clutch in the flesh, did this in an ANC final...failing his whole country...

[/video]

The thing is you guys are EPL heads so of course you would pick Drogba regardless of what the numbers say...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Maceo anyone can win finals but drogba was indeed clutch. Infact, he is probably top 5 Greatest big game player of all time. 11 finals 10 goals e no easy. Drogba should be 1 but he was a late bloomer
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

bret- hart wrote:Eto is the most overrated African striker ever.

:thumbs:
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

john12 wrote:Maceo anyone can win finals but drogba was indeed clutch. Infact, he is probably top 5 Greatest big game player of all time. 11 finals 10 goals e no easy. Drogba should be 1 but he was a late bloomer
How can he be Mr. Clutch, if his chance to finally win an African championship he bottles it? Nobody is saying Drogba is not great, but Eto'o's numbers are better, he's achieved more at both club level and international level. We act as if Drogba didn't have that first season at Chelsea, where everybody was making fun of him calling him clumsy etc. Eto'o was more consistent in his prime, from Mallorca, to Barca, to Inter to nations cups to confederations Cup etc

[/video]

[/video]
Last edited by maceo4 on Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

ANC wrote:
Robotnik wrote:Drogba. End of story!

honestly, I am not sure why people are rating Eto so highly. I watched him play through out his career or most of it, he was nothing exceptional. He was fortunate to have had opportunities most african players did not have. I rate Roger Miller higher than Eto. Eto scored more goals, but he was no better than Kanu, if Kanu had not had heart issues, Eto would be carrying his bags.

Drogba all day, every day; the one man wrecking crew.

In short the thread is an insult to Weah, Roger Miller, Drogba. Yekini (RIP), who?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

maceo4 wrote:
airwolex wrote:Drogba was clutch though. Wasn't as prolific as Etoo or even Yekini but my God he would score BIG goals.
Mr. Clutch in the flesh, did this in an ANC final...failing his whole country...

[/video]

The thing is you guys are EPL heads so of course you would pick Drogba regardless of what the numbers say...
I picked Weah. I'd go Drogba second, despite the missed PK against Zambia. All the greats have missed pks. For Chelsea, whenever we reached the semis and finals the man invariably scored. He was a monster. BTW, if Weah or Droggba had played with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta et all they would have had some great numbers too.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

airwolex wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

[/video]

I picked Weah. I'd go Drogba second, despite the missed PK against Zambia. All the greats have missed pks. For Chelsea, whenever we reached the semis and finals the man invariably scored. He was a monster. BTW, if Weah or Droggba had played with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta et all they would have had some great numbers too.
Do you know who Weah and Drogba played with? You think they played for Accrington Stanley or Arsenal?

Weah played with:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995%E2%8 ... lan_season

I assume you are still chelsea fan so I am sure you know who Drogba played with.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Weah and Drogba for me and I have stated my reasons. No be a fight. :D
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

airwolex wrote:Weah and Drogba for me and I have stated my reasons. No be a fight. :D
Oh! I apologize! Did you think I was arguing with you or trying to change your mind? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I just wanted you to know that we know that you have no clue what you are talking about, in regards to the highlighted portion of your comment. You can pick Pius Ikedia, thats your prerogative, and nothing wrong with that, but dont come here and skew the facts of who Weah and Drogba played with. Many of us have watched football for decades and we KNOW.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

You are probably right, you know more soccer than me, but still, Weah and Drogba.

George Weah was like a black Ronaldo, skillful and monstrously athletic. Drogba was clutch as hell, 9 finals 9 goals and I'm a Chelsea fan. Those are still my picks. Etoo was a baller, but there's a lot of right place right time about his Barca and Cameroon career.
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

maceo4 wrote:

[/video]

Well, in that same year he made up for it by scoring the winning penalty vs Munich. Ivory Coast won their cup of nations in 2015.
Last edited by Benedict Iroha on Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

danfo driver wrote:
airwolex wrote:Weah and Drogba for me and I have stated my reasons. No be a fight. :D
Oh! I apologize! Did you think I was arguing with you or trying to change your mind? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I just wanted you to know that we know that you have no clue what you are talking about, in regards to the highlighted portion of your comment. You can pick Pius Ikedia, thats your prerogative, and nothing wrong with that, but dont come here and skew the facts of who Weah and Drogba played with. Many of us have watched football for decades and we KNOW.
:clap: :clap: You sabi tghe game i wish we listen when we went for Mustafi,you warn us and today everyone eyes have open about him.Some even lie how Pep wanted him when no top team look at him
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

airwolex wrote:You are probably right, you know more soccer than me, but still, Weah and Drogba.

George Weah was like a black Ronaldo, skillful and monstrously athletic. Drogba was clutch as hell, 9 finals 9 goals and I'm a Chelsea fan. Those are still my picks. Etoo was a baller, but there's a lot of right place right time about his Barca and Cameroon career.
Haven't complied the stats but I can count at least eight finals goals for Eto'o. You can't act like Drogba wasn't blessed with being in the right place at the right time, not when he often had Frank Lampard shouldering the most of the scoring opportunity and outscoring him most seasons, or when he had the fortune of playing with the most talented Ivory Coast team ever and ended his international career with nothing to show for it.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

airwolex wrote:You are probably right, you know more soccer than me, but still, Weah and Drogba.

and his Inter career too? abi? :D
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Honestly, this shouldn’t even be a debate it’s obviously etoo. The guy performed for Cameroun, (highest all time scorer) Mallorca (highest all time scorer) Barcelona multiple La Liga, pichichi, champions league went to inter and scores 50 goals in 2 season and win another Champions league. Abegii it’s not even a debate the only thing people keep mentioning wear is winning 1995 WPOY even though he didn’t score up to 20 goals that season. The likes of maldini never won WPOY or even World Cup but history will remember him as a better defender than materrazzi and cannavaro
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

john12 wrote:Honestly, this shouldn’t even be a debate it’s obviously etoo. The guy performed for Cameroun, (highest all time scorer) Mallorca (highest all time scorer) Barcelona multiple La Liga, pichichi, champions league went to inter and scores 50 goals in 2 season and win another Champions league. Abegii it’s not even a debate the only thing people keep mentioning wear is winning 1995 WPOY even though he didn’t score up to 20 goals that season. The likes of maldini never won WPOY or even World Cup but history will remember him as a better defender than materrazzi and cannavaro
Why not? Are Weah and Drogba chop liver? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

kalani JR wrote:
ANC wrote:

honestly, I am not sure why people are rating Eto so highly. I watched him play through out his career or most of it, he was nothing exceptional. He was fortunate to have had opportunities most african players did not have. I rate Roger Miller higher than Eto. Eto scored more goals, but he was no better than Kanu, if Kanu had not had heart issues, Eto would be carrying his bags.

In short the thread is an insult to Weah, Roger Miller, Drogba. Yekini (RIP), who?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Even though I am not a fan of Etoo the person, find this kind of funny. Lol
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Benedict Iroha wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

[/video]

Well, in that same year he made up for it by scoring the winning penalty vs Munich. Ivory Coast won their cup of nations in 2015.
Yea they won the ANC without him, he ruined his ANC legacy right there.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Wikipedia stats. Not verified.

Drogba

Eto

Weah
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Rogermilla
Egg
Egg

Post by Rogermilla »

ANC wrote:

The reason he was fortunate to play at the highest level than the others as you mentioned, is because he was better than the others. If the others were that better than him, they too will have played and performed well as Eto'o at the highest level. Eto'o did not just get to where he was without putting in the work. He was the best and that is why he is better than the rest.
"History shows that this club has had very few strikers like him. I do not know if there has ever been anyone like him before. What I do know is that Barcelona should erect a statue for him. Samuel was a fundamental player here in recent years and was key to all of the titles that the team won."

Andres Iniesta, August 2009
Rogermilla
Egg
Egg

Post by Rogermilla »

danfo driver wrote:
airwolex wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

[/video]

Do you know who Weah and Drogba played with? You think they played for Accrington Stanley or Arsenal?

Weah played with:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995%E2%8 ... lan_season

I assume you are still chelsea fan so I am sure you know who Drogba played with.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"History shows that this club has had very few strikers like him. I do not know if there has ever been anyone like him before. What I do know is that Barcelona should erect a statue for him. Samuel was a fundamental player here in recent years and was key to all of the titles that the team won."

Rogermilla
Egg
Egg

Post by Rogermilla »

Well Drogba was part of the Ivorian golden generation wasn't he? What did he win with them? Eto'o took his chances when we had our golden generation from 99 to 2002 and Cameroon won the Olympics, back to back ANC, went to the confederations cup finals with great contributions along the way. So spare me the right place at the right time bullcrap. Eto'o carried Mallorcca all the way to win the Spanish cup, with Eto'o scorig 2 goals in the finals to beat Real Madrid. As a Real Madrid fan, my worst moments were when we had to face Barca or Mallorcca with Eto'o playing, cause you already know what he will do.