Etebo wins SW Stoke city player of the Year

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

I hope they are not trying to use this award to rope him into annother year in Stoke.

http://aoifootball.com/2019/05/06/etebo ... -the-year/

Super Eagles midfielder, Oghenekaro Etebo has been rewarded for his outstanding debut season in England after he was named South West Stoke Player of the Season, AOIFootball.com reports.

The 23-year-old produced yet another fine display on Sunday afternoon to help the club finish 16th on the table as they rounded off the season with a 2-2 draw at home to Premier League-bound Sheffield United.

Etebo expressed his delight with the recognition but said he remains pained that the club failed to achieve their aim of gaining promotion back to the Premier League.

“It’s a thing of joy winning the SW Stoke City player of the year. I just want to use this opportunity to appreciate the fans for their support.

“Though we didn’t achieve our goal and the main target for the season, we still need to keep up the positivity that’s why we all love the game. Once again, respect from my heart to you guys,” Etebo posted.

The Nigerian joined Stoke City just before the 2018 World Cup from Portuguese side Firense for around €7.2 million and made 36 appearances across all competitions for the Potters, scoring twice and adding one assist to his name.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Etebo wins SW Stoke city player of the Year

Post by theYemster »

My one big takeaway, a bottom of the table lower division team in England can afford €7.2 million for a player, a feat I'm not sure any top division team across the entire continent of Africa is capable of. Something's wrong with that picture.

Africa, wake the eff up. :?
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Clarification
  • South West Stokies is The Stoke City South West Supporters' Club
    So, all he won was the player of the year for ONE of several supporters union

It's like Mikel winning the Middlesborough supporters Union -Lagos branch Middlesborough player of the year award
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Rawlings wrote:Clarification

It's like Mikel winning the Middlesborough supporters Union -Lagos branch Middlesborough player of the year award
My man is a winner! He packed up moving to the EPL next season :thumbs: :wink:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

theYemster wrote:My one big takeaway, a bottom of the table lower division team in England can afford €7.2 million for a player, a feat I'm not sure any top division team across the entire continent of Africa is capable of. Something's wrong with that picture.

Bro, several teams in the Belgium top division cannot even afford that, talkless of Portuguese clubs.

I once saw the salary of some players in the Belgium first division and I thought I was looking at salaries of secretaries and messengers. Some of them were making 2 thousand Euros a month (I think it was month and not week)! I cant remember if that was before taxes, or after. I truly hope its after taxes. :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Thanks. Me sef dey wonder which one come be SW Stoke.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

danfo driver wrote:
theYemster wrote:My one big takeaway, a bottom of the table lower division team in England can afford €7.2 million for a player, a feat I'm not sure any top division team across the entire continent of Africa is capable of. Something's wrong with that picture.

Bro, several teams in the Belgium top division cannot even afford that, talkless of Portuguese clubs.

I once saw the salary of some players in the Belgium first division and I thought I was looking at salaries of secretaries and messengers. Some of them were making 2 thousand Euros a month (I think it was month and not week)! I cant remember if that was before taxes, or after. I truly hope its after taxes. :oops:
The man's question is about a WHOLE continent of over 50 countries and you are comparing to countries.
....Africa is a joke!
Naija should have led the way, but the Naijaman's brain is too corrupt
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Decent innings from Etebo, missed out on Stoke’s POTY to Big Fraser, but applied himself well in his first season.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

deanotito wrote:

Thanks. Me sef dey wonder which one come be SW Stoke.
You are welcome :wink:
Dem dey grasp at straws ...
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

In Nigeria, clubs don't pay wages on time. Clubs lose ownership and players are free to join other foreign clubs for nothing.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Premier league parachute payments. Stoke are not the choice example. Sunderland of league one, signed Will Grigg for £3m. Now then...