U20 WC: NIGERIA's 21-MAN SQUAD NAMED

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
U20 WC: NIGERIA's 21-MAN SQUAD NAMED

Post by Gotti »

Unfortunately, I do not hold out much hope for this Flying Eagles' squad (as Coach Paul Aigbogun literally still seems to be scouting and screening players with barely a couple of weeks to the commencement of the tournament), and thus anything they achieve past the group stage I would consider a bonus.

Hopefully, some promising SE/Olympics team prospects would emerge. GOOD LUCK LADS!
Goalkeepers: Detan Ogundare (Kogi United); Olawale Oremade (Kwara United); Jonathan Zaccala (Triestina FC, Italy)

Defenders: Valentine Ozornwafor (Enyimba FC); Aliu Salawudeen (Amuneke Academy); Igoh Ogbu (Rosenborg BK, Norway); Ikouwem Utin (Enyimba FC); Muhammad Rabiu (Plateau United); Jamil Muhammad (Kano Pillars)

Midfielders: Nnamdi Ofoborh (AFC Bournemouth, England); Eletu Peter (Prince Kazeem FC); Ayotomiwa Dele-Bashiru (Manchester City, England); Kingsley Michael (AC Perugia, Italy); Effiom Maxwell (Enyimba FC); Aniekeme Okon (Akwa United); Collins Sor (Oasis FC)

Forwards: Jerome Adams (Sogndal IL, Norway); Tijani Muhammed (FC Banik Ostrava, Czech Republic); Henry Offia (IK Sirius Uppsala, Sweden); Chinonso Emeka (Club Brookhouse, England); Success Makanjuola (Water FC)

*Courtesy of NFF website
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg
Re: U20 WC: NIGERIA's 21-MAN SQUAD NAMED

Post by Ugbowo »

Very interesting list

I dont even know where to start. Good luck to the lads.
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

Gotti wrote:Unfortunately, I do not hold out much hope for this Flying Eagles' squad (as Coach Paul Aigbogun literally still seems to be scouting and screening players with barely a couple of weeks to the commencement of the tournament), and thus anything they achieve past the group stage I would consider a bonus.

Hopefully, some promising SE/Olympics team prospects would emerge. GOOD LUCK LADS!
Goalkeepers: Detan Ogundare (Kogi United); Olawale Oremade (Kwara United); Jonathan Zaccala (Triestina FC, Italy)

Defenders: Valentine Ozornwafor (Enyimba FC); Aliu Salawudeen (Amuneke Academy); Igoh Ogbu (Rosenborg BK, Norway); Ikouwem Utin (Enyimba FC); Muhammad Rabiu (Plateau United); Jamil Muhammad (Kano Pillars)

Midfielders: Nnamdi Ofoborh (AFC Bournemouth, England); Eletu Peter (Prince Kazeem FC); Ayotomiwa Dele-Bashiru (Manchester City, England); Kingsley Michael (AC Perugia, Italy); Effiom Maxwell (Enyimba FC); Aniekeme Okon (Akwa United); Collins Sor (Oasis FC)

Forwards: Jerome Adams (Sogndal IL, Norway); Tijani Muhammed (FC Banik Ostrava, Czech Republic); Henry Offia (IK Sirius Uppsala, Sweden); Chinonso Emeka (Club Brookhouse, England); Success Makanjuola (Water FC)

*Courtesy of NFF website
Remind me, what year is the eldest they can be born?
p.s. what the hell is club brookhouse????
p.p.s Jonathan Zaccala is actually part of Serie D (amateur) team GS Arconatese and as far as I can gather has not played a single game for the senior team this year....
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Paveman wrote: Remind me, what year is the eldest they can be born?
Players born on or after January 1, 1999 are eligible for the 2019 U-20 World Cup...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

Gotti wrote:
Players born on or after January 1, 1999 are eligible for the 2019 U-20 World Cup...
thanks. He has left out quite a number of pros, or am I mistaken?
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

p.p.s Jonathan Zaccala is actually part of Serie D (amateur) team GS Arconatese and as far as I can gather has not played a single game for the senior team this year....
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Compare our squad (on paper) to the US squad that we will face in the group stage...
Of course, football is played on the field and thus anything can happen out on the pitch.

GOALKEEPERS (3): CJ Dos Santos (Benfica/POR; Foxchase, Pa.; 2/0), David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake; Oxnard, Calif.; 4/0), Brady Scott (Köln/GER; Petaluma, Calif.; 9/0)

DEFENDERS (6): Sergino Dest (Ajax/NED; Almere-Stad, Netherlands; 8/1), Chris Gloster (Hannover 96/GER; Montclair, N.J.; 11/0), Aboubacar Keita (Richmond Kickers; Columbus, Ohio; 2/0), Mark McKenzie (Philadelphia Union; Bear, Del.; 10/3), Matthew Real (Philadelphia Union; Drexel Hill, Pa.; 10/0), Chris Richards (Bayern Munich/GER: Birmingham, Ala.; 8/0)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Edwin Cerrillo (FC Dallas; Frisco, Texas; 0/0), Chris Durkin (D.C. United; Glen Allen, Va.; 2/0), Richard Ledezma (PSV Eindhoven/NED; Phoenix, Ariz.; 4/0), Alex Mendez (Freiburg/GER; Los Angeles, Calif.; 15/8), Paxton Pomykal (FC Dallas; Highland Village, Texas; 9/3), Brandon Servania (FC Dallas; Dallas, Texas; 8/2)

FORWARDS (6): Ayo Akinola (Toronto FC/CAN; Brampton, Ont.; 12/9), Konrad De La Fuente (Barcelona/ESP; Miami, Fla.; 2/1), Ulysses Llanez (Wolfsburg/GER; Lynwood, Calif.; 11/7), Justin Rennicks (New England Revolution; South Hamilton, Mass.; 13/6), Sebastian Soto (Hannover 96/GER; San Diego, Calif.; 5/2), Tim Weah (Celtic FC/SCO; Rosedale, N.Y.; 0/0)
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

For those who have seen the NPFL players in the squad can you please comment on them? Doesn't seem like Aigbogun was that interested in taking time to scout local players, since he seems to rely heavily on foreign based players. However, I'm not sure he has selected our best foreign based or local U-20 players. I doubt he's had enough time to work on team chemistry since so many players have come in and out of camp so soon to the tournament.

The US now has more players in Europe than they've ever had. Many playing for solid clubs too. We'll see if any of them really pan out.
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Paveman wrote:
Gotti wrote:Unfortunately, I do not hold out much hope for this Flying Eagles' squad (as Coach Paul Aigbogun literally still seems to be scouting and screening players with barely a couple of weeks to the commencement of the tournament), and thus anything they achieve past the group stage I would consider a bonus.

*Courtesy of NFF website
I feel your angst too..found it ( at least found something )

https://www.brookhousefc.co.uk
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Good list, good mixture of home based and foreign based players. I personally can't wait to see Kingsley Michael, Bashiru, Utin, Ozoronwafor(sp) and etc. I don't know much about the strikers but the midfield and defense looks solid. I can count six or seven solid prospects for the senior national team. if we can get six or seven solid prospects for the national team it will be considered a success in my opinion, don't care about winning the tournament.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Looks like complete overhaul of forwards and midfielders from AYC

[/video]

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Success Makanjuola is the young guy that was once linked to Chelsea. Didn't he sign with Leicester?

Is he a winger?

oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Looks like 75% of the players a new additions. Might be too much change and too little time to jell. Plus those foreign born play some boring footy. Oh well.
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

Siddonlook11 wrote:
Paveman wrote:

*Courtesy of NFF website
I feel your angst too..found it ( at least found something )

https://www.brookhousefc.co.uk
So a member of our u-20 World cup squad plays for an amateur youth team??
He must be a HUGE prospect!! :???:
YNWA
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Overall good squad if we lineup

4-2-4

------------------------------------------------------------Oremade-----------------------------------------------

-----------Aliu--------------------Igoh-----------------------Ozornwafor-----------------------Utin-----------

--------------------------------------Bashiru-------------------Michael----------------------------

------Jerome Akor------------------Effiom---------------------Chinoso Emeka---------------Makanjuola-----

Looks like the team is still weak upfront.

niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

How did we go from the set with Ahmed Musa and co to this?

I'm holding out hope that these players surprise us like Siasia's Flying Eagles did back in 2005.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

oscar52 wrote:Looks like 75% of the players a new additions. Might be too much change and too little time to jell. Plus those foreign born play some boring footy. Oh well.
More like just over 50%...
10 of the 21 players were at the AYC.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

ohenhen1 wrote:Success Makanjuola is the young guy that was once linked to Chelsea. Didn't he sign with Leicester?

Is he a winger?
No it is not...
That was Habib Makanjuola, and he's with Leicester City U23s.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

olu wrote:For those who have seen the NPFL players in the squad can you please comment on them? Doesn't seem like Aigbogun was that interested in taking time to scout local players, since he seems to rely heavily on foreign based players. However, I'm not sure he has selected our best foreign based or local U-20 players. I doubt he's had enough time to work on team chemistry since so many players have come in and out of camp so soon to the tournament.

The US now has more players in Europe than they've ever had. Many playing for solid clubs too. We'll see if any of them really pan out.
Difficult, as they are mostly too green to be regulars. Someone like Ozornwafor never played for Enyimba in the NPFL but was known to Coach Paul Aigbogun only because he had been Enyimba's coach.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Is this the first time we're taking foreign born players to an U20 tournament?

Semi Ajayi was at the Toulon tournament in 2013 but those matches were friendly matches...
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

De boy get talent!

Na Isaac Success pikin?

ohenhen1 wrote:Success Makanjuola is the young guy that was once linked to Chelsea. Didn't he sign with Leicester?

Is he a winger?
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Meanwhile Amerika get Naija boy and George Weah pikin

Gotti wrote:

Compare our squad (on paper) to the US squad that we will face in the group stage...
Of course, football is played on the field and thus anything can happen out on the pitch.

GOALKEEPERS (3): CJ Dos Santos (Benfica/POR; Foxchase, Pa.; 2/0), David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake; Oxnard, Calif.; 4/0), Brady Scott (Köln/GER; Petaluma, Calif.; 9/0)

DEFENDERS (6): Sergino Dest (Ajax/NED; Almere-Stad, Netherlands; 8/1), Chris Gloster (Hannover 96/GER; Montclair, N.J.; 11/0), Aboubacar Keita (Richmond Kickers; Columbus, Ohio; 2/0), Mark McKenzie (Philadelphia Union; Bear, Del.; 10/3), Matthew Real (Philadelphia Union; Drexel Hill, Pa.; 10/0), Chris Richards (Bayern Munich/GER: Birmingham, Ala.; 8/0)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Edwin Cerrillo (FC Dallas; Frisco, Texas; 0/0), Chris Durkin (D.C. United; Glen Allen, Va.; 2/0), Richard Ledezma (PSV Eindhoven/NED; Phoenix, Ariz.; 4/0), Alex Mendez (Freiburg/GER; Los Angeles, Calif.; 15/8), Paxton Pomykal (FC Dallas; Highland Village, Texas; 9/3), Brandon Servania (FC Dallas; Dallas, Texas; 8/2)

FORWARDS (6): Ayo Akinola (Toronto FC/CAN; Brampton, Ont.; 12/9), Konrad De La Fuente (Barcelona/ESP; Miami, Fla.; 2/1), Ulysses Llanez (Wolfsburg/GER; Lynwood, Calif.; 11/7), Justin Rennicks (New England Revolution; South Hamilton, Mass.; 13/6), Sebastian Soto (Hannover 96/GER; San Diego, Calif.; 5/2), Tim Weah (Celtic FC/SCO; Rosedale, N.Y.; 0/0)
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Gotti wrote:

Is David Ochoa the ex-Mexico goalies sons. He was badass!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

ohenhen1 wrote:Good list, good mixture of home based and foreign based players. I personally can't wait to see Kingsley Michael, Bashiru, Utin, Ozoronwafor(sp) and etc. I don't know much about the strikers but the midfield and defense looks solid. I can count six or seven solid prospects for the senior national team. if we can get six or seven solid prospects for the national team it will be considered a success in my opinion, don't care about winning the tournament.
Can the strikers be that bad; strikers that played CAF tournament are not it at all; take that from me.