Another Look at That Corner Kick Arc

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bell
Egg
Egg
Another Look at That Corner Kick Arc

Post by Bell »

Seen a corner kick lately? Then you'd see that the ball is now placed totally outside the arc with the ridiculous argument that if any part of the ball projects down to any part of the arc, it's legit. With that argument, PK takers could move the ball several inches fwd beyond the spot where it is now placed.

I say, if this continues, take the discretion away from the players and define a spot in the corner kick arc where the ball must be placed. And maybe they can do something about that CK post that seems to get in the way. It should improve the shot and maybe, legitimately, result in more goals.
Bell
Rawlings
Egg
Egg
Re: Another Look at That Corner Kick Arc

Post by Rawlings »

Oga,
One is an arc and the other is a spot...
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Rawlings wrote:Oga,
Ol boy, inside a spot you'll find an arc. They no teach geometry at Kumasi comprehensive primary school?
OCCUPY NFF!!
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
Ol boy, inside a spot you'll find an arc. They no teach geometry at Kumasi comprehensive primary school?

Tema harbor was where he got his formative training, who dash'am primary school.
Last edited by ANC on Tue May 21, 2019 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

OK, SO...

1) Get rid of the arc and place a spot at the intersection of the touchline and goal line, or
2) Place a spot somewhere within the arc

The discretion has been abused to the point of making it a joke so take it away from the player.
Bell
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bell wrote:Seen a corner kick lately? Then you'd see that the ball is now placed totally outside the arc with the ridiculous argument that if any part of the ball projects down to any part of the arc, it's legit. With that argument, PK takers could move the ball several inches fwd beyond the spot where it is now placed.

I say, if this continues, take the discretion away from the players and define a spot in the corner kick arc where the ball must be placed. And maybe they can do something about that CK post that seems to get in the way. It should improve the shot and maybe, legitimately, result in more goals.
Bell
Its been that way for a while now but I have never quite understood it.
The only rationale I can think of is that the corner flag possibly restricts the swing of the foot of the kicker if the ball is placed within the arc. They can't do away with the corner flag and don't wish to increase the size of the arc.

The penalty spot has no such impediments.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Damunk wrote:
Bell wrote:Seen a corner kick lately? Then you'd see that the ball is now placed totally outside the arc with the ridiculous argument that if any part of the ball projects down to any part of the arc, it's legit. With that argument, PK takers could move the ball several inches fwd beyond the spot where it is now placed.

Bell
Its been that way for a while now but I have never quite understood it.
The only rationale I can think of is that the corner flag possibly restricts the swing of the foot of the kicker if the ball is placed within the arc. They can't do away with the corner flag and don't wish to increase the size of the arc.

The penalty spot has no such impediments.
Logical. Plus the fact that one cannot see any advantage derived from placing the ball in the arc or on the line other than to try and avoid the obstructing corner flag. The flag wasn't place their to be a restriction to the players
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

ANC wrote:

Tema harbor was were he got his formative training, who dash'am primary school.
pot...kettle

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

I often wondered what difference it makes placing the ball inside the arc versus the ball outside of it but touching the line of the arc.

The players must be gaining some individual psychological accomplishment with the ball outside the arc. It looks like the norm now. Sometimes, the arc doesn't even exist until the ref called their attention to it.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

balo wrote:I often wondered what difference it makes placing the ball inside the arc versus the ball outside of it but touching the line of the arc.

The players must be gaining some individual psychological accomplishment with the ball outside the arc. It looks like the norm now. Sometimes, the arc doesn't even exist until the ref called their attention to it.
The match I went to watch last month, the players were placing the ball down with ball not touching any part of the arc and the linesman was standing right behind the player and did nothing. This was lower league at Whaddon Road though were there is hardly any space between corner and stand for a run up.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

That is one of my pet peeves about modern corners. Sometimes you see players place the ball totally outside the arc (when they are taking corners from the opposite side to where the lino is standing). I do not buy the BS argument that they do it because the corner flag restricts their run up or kicking leg. Corner technique and accuracy has gone to the dogs in modern football. People like Becks, Pirlo, and Del Piero used to whip corners in with pinpoint accuracy - with the ball in the middle of the arc. How come the corner flag did not obstruct them?

Bell
Thunder
Egg
Egg

Post by Thunder »

Football will then need linesmen in the 4 quadrants of the field, as the cheating is pervasive absent a ref near the corner flags.
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

...or use VAR to monitor and force players to place the ball in the arc before taking a corner.
Thunder wrote:Football will then need linesmen in the 4 quadrants of the field, as the cheating is pervasive absent a ref near the corner flags.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

balo wrote:I often wondered what difference it makes placing the ball inside the arc versus the ball outside of it but touching the line of the arc.

...there is no difference.
A cheat will cheat, just like a habitual crook will still commit the crime no matter how small, insignificant what he wanted is.
I believe it is in their mind to do that to gain an advantage, but what advantage.
Just like players that move the ball inches forward for a free kick far up the field.
If you are an adult you should have the legs to whip a ball down range. Low moral.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

mcal wrote:

...there is no difference.
A cheat will cheat, just like a habitual crook will still commit the crime no matter how small, insignificant what he wanted is.
I believe it is in their mind to do that to gain an advantage, but what advantage.
Just like players that move the ball inches forward for a free kick far up the field.
If you are an adult you should have the legs to whip a ball down range. Low moral.
Absolutely.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

tfco wrote:
ANC wrote:

Tema harbor was were he got his formative training, who dash'am primary school.
pot...kettle

My dear human spell checker, FYI, it is called a typo.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

I personally see it as cheating..
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8