2018 World Cup Squad vs 2019 AFCON Squad

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
2018 World Cup Squad vs 2019 AFCON Squad

Post by danfo driver »

Earlier today, I thought to myself that Rohr had not done much in the last 1 year. I felt he should have worked on finding another goalkeeper, a second left back and a deep-lying playmaker. And then, it dawned on me that he actually made 8 changes to the squad over the last one year.

2018 WC Squad ----------- 2018 AFCON Squad

Ezenwa --------------------- Ezenwa
Akpeyi --------------------- Akpeyi
Uzoho --------------------- Uzoho

Ekong --------------------- Ekong
Balogun --------------------- Balogun
Shehu --------------------- Shehu
Awaziem --------------------- Awaziem
Omeruo --------------------- Omeruo
Ebuehi --------------------- Aina
Echiejile --------------------- Collins
Idowu ---------------------Simon

Ndidi --------------------- Ndidi
Etebo --------------------- Etebo
Mikel --------------------- Mikel
Ogu --------------------- Ogu
Iwobi --------------------- Iwobi
Onazi --------------------- Chukwueze
Obi --------------------- Kalu

Musa --------------------- Musa
Ighalo ---------------------Ighalo
Nwankwo --------------------- Onuachu
Moses --------------------- Onyekuru
Iheanacho --------------------- Osimehn

------------------------

Changes are:

Dropped:

Idowu
Echiejile
Ebuehi
Onazi
Obi
Moses
Nwankwo
Iheanacho

Selected:

Aina
Collins
Simon
Chukwueze
Kalu
Osimehn
Onuachu
Onyekuru
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 2018 World Cup Squad vs 2019 AFCON Squad

Post by danfo driver »

Which is the better team?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

danfo driver wrote:Which is the better team?
AFCON team definitely better by a margin... Collins is far better than Echejilie, Onazi is on a decline and might be well saying good bye to international football, Joel Obi is too inconsistent to be a long term player, Nacho is in bad form and Idowu was crap. Only player from the world cup squad that isn't too bad is Nwankwo and Ebuehi.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Tobi17 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:Which is the better team?
AFCON team definitely better by a margin... Collins is far better than Echejilie, Onazi is on a decline and might be well saying good bye to international football, Joel Obi is too inconsistent to be a long term player, Nacho is in bad form and Idowu was crap. Only player from the world cup squad that isn't too bad is Nwankwo and Ebuehi.
Victor Moses and his empty skull, nko?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

The WC team was bare with wingers. It was a situation were we couldnt make many changes to effect change up front because there werent enough options on the bench. I hope this is a sign that Rohr learnt lessons at the world cup. After all, we went there to learn. :roll:
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Tbf, three of the changes are forced by retirement or injury.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

ROHR is doing a great job of improving this team in stages. We're better defensively and n attack now than at the wc.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

The YeyeMan wrote:Tbf, three of the changes are forced by retirement or injury.
Exactly! Thx, my brother
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Odas wrote:
Exactly! Thx, my brother
Not exactly
Victor Moses- voluntary retirement, no questions asked
Echejilie - subtly retired with the emergence of Collins
Onazi- mostly injured but my better judgment tells me he's another subtly retired or about to be retired player (no thanks to younger and currently better options like Ndidi, Etebo, Azubuike).
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Odas wrote:
Exactly! Thx, my brother
8 Changes to a team in one year is a bit much. So, 5 changes is good. we need continuity and chemistry.

The good thing is that most of the changes are guys who have been part of the team:

Aina
Simon
Osimehn
Onyekuru

So, only 4 were actual new changes:

Collins
Chukwueze
Kalu
Onuachu

:clap: :clap:
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

we are thin in midfield right now.

If Onazi ever gets back to fitness he still has something to offer this team as a bench option.

We need to stop this habit of discarding players when nobody has stepped up to replace them.

I've even seen people imply we dont need Mikel, when in his first game back after a year, he was easily our best player.

For me, Mikel should be on the road to Qatar if he wishes to continue. You cannot just replace that kind of experience and talent.

Look at Ronaldo still playing for Portugal at 34. European teams dont discard their players simply because of age. I dont know why we love to do this.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Onazi is 26 years old. he is not being discarded because of his age. He is being discarded because he is sh1.t!
vancity eagle wrote:we are thin in midfield right now.

If Onazi ever gets back to fitness he still has something to offer this team as a bench option.

We need to stop this habit of discarding players when nobody has stepped up to replace them.

I've even seen people imply we dont need Mikel, when in his first game back after a year, he was easily our best player.

For me, Mikel should be on the road to Qatar if he wishes to continue. You cannot just replace that kind of experience and talent.

Look at Ronaldo still playing for Portugal at 34. European teams dont discard their players simply because of age. I dont know why we love to do this.
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Most Europeans at 34 are 34.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

nzeogwu wrote:

Most Europeans at 34 are 34.

Is Mikel 31 or not ?

however old he is , he is still OUR BEST PLAYER.

I personally think he still has one more world cup to offer, even if on the bench. I hope he has the motivation to take this team to Qatar. SE will only benefit.

Do you really think we will have better midfielders than Mikel on the bench in Qatar. I highly doubt it.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

danfo driver wrote:Onazi is 26 years old. he is not being discarded because of his age. He is being discarded because he is sh1.t!

Other than Mikel, Etebo, Ndidi, please name our midfielders who are better than Onazi.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

danfo driver wrote:Onazi is 26 years old. he is not being discarded because of his age. He is being discarded because he is sh1.t!

Stop talking $@#%. Onazi suffered a bad injury and has hardly played on the 2nd half of the season.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Apart from Onazi, Ebuehi and Joel Obi are also out injured.
I am happy
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

vancity eagle wrote:

Other than Mikel, Etebo, Ndidi, please name our midfielders who are better than Onazi.
That is the job of the coach. Not mine.

Onazi is sh1.t! Nothing you can do about that!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Onazi is a nice guy no doubt, but right now he offers absolutely nothing to the SE. Besides been injury prone and in decline, there's nothing he can offer that the likes of a younger Azubuike can't offer plus jara on top... the Mikel and Onazi comparison is utterly baseless cause we all know Mikel despite his form and age is still a world class player...Onazi on the other hand is just a average player, and unfortunately just like Echejilie, quite a forgettable footballer as well. I wish him the best in his career and life.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

vancity eagle wrote:

The SE midfield is currently bare but I expect an influx of young midfielders after AFCON 2019 to make it more competitive. Players like Dele-Bashiru(Atalanta), Kingsley Samuel(Bologna), Ofortoboh(sp?) at Bournemouth
, Igbekeme, who's tipped to make a step up to La Liga, Ramon Azeez ( who's back in La Liga), Alhassan, a young Nigerian midfielder in Sweden, who's being courted by Ajax, Feyenoord, Leverkusen etc.
They will give us depth in the midfield positions.
I am happy
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

When is Rohr going to address the goal keeping position???
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

danfo driver wrote:Earlier today, I thought to myself that Rohr had not done much in the last 1 year. I felt he should have worked on finding another goalkeeper, a second left back and a deep-lying playmaker. And then, it dawned on me that he actually made 8 changes to the squad over the last one year.

2018 WC Squad ----------- 2018 AFCON Squad

Ezenwa --------------------- Ezenwa
Akpeyi --------------------- Akpeyi
Uzoho --------------------- Uzoho

Ekong --------------------- Ekong
Balogun --------------------- Balogun
Shehu --------------------- Shehu
Awaziem --------------------- Awaziem
Omeruo --------------------- Omeruo
Ebuehi --------------------- Aina
Echiejile --------------------- Collins
Idowu ---------------------Simon

Ndidi --------------------- Ndidi
Etebo --------------------- Etebo
Mikel --------------------- Mikel
Ogu --------------------- Ogu
Iwobi --------------------- Iwobi
Onazi --------------------- Chukwueze
Obi --------------------- Kalu

Musa --------------------- Musa
Ighalo ---------------------Ighalo
Nwankwo --------------------- Onuachu
Moses --------------------- Onyekuru
Iheanacho --------------------- Osimehn

------------------------

Changes are:

Dropped:

Idowu
Echiejile
Ebuehi
Onazi
Obi
Moses
Nwankwo
Iheanacho

Selected:

Aina
Collins
Simon
Chukwueze
Kalu
Osimehn
Onuachu
Onyekuru
Echiejile should have been chopped immediately without even thinking, Ebehi is in rehabilitation after a long time out due to injury, Onazi just couldn't keep up, Moses actually quit, Nwankwo (if I can recall was stranded and couldn't get back to Portugal),Iheanacho seems to be struggling at an important time of his career!
These changes where necessary but almost natural, as for the goal keeping department I don't think any coaching at this stage is going help but Rohr did mention a young keeper out in Germany but obviously he's not in the squad!
Last edited by Eaglezbeak on Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Flex Swift wrote:When is Rohr going to address the goal keeping position???
When Nigeria gives birth to a better goalkeeper
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........