NIGERIA WOMENS FOOTBALL HAS NOT GROWN IN 10 YEARS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: NIGERIA WOMENS FOOTBALL HAS NOT GROWN IN 10 YEARS

Post by Gotti »

kalani JR wrote:The better comparison would be the World Cup (where we have gained a grand total of 5 points since 1999 and have finished with a negative goal difference in every appearance since 2003) not Africa were many of the teams underfund their women's football programs.
But he's not using the WC as a basis...
But rather the simplistic notion of us "eeking out" results against African teams.

In fact, even wrt the WC, apart from the great blip in 1999 when the astute Ismaila Mabo led a team built around Florence Omagbemi and 'Marvelous' Mercy Akide to win 2 games and the q-finals, only to be summarily canned by the then NFA, we have actually been more respectable over the past decade with 1 win in 2011 and 1 high-score draw against global female football powerhouse Sweden in 2015 - as opposed to say, the ZERO points/ZERO goals performances in 1991 and 2003. Furthermore, we have gone from being blown out by 3-times WWC champions US 1-7 in 1999 and 0-5 in 2003 to having them "eek out" a 1-0 victory in 2015, or being blown out 0-4 by 2-times WWC champions Germany in 1991 to their struggling to "eek out" a 1-0 victory against us in 2011.

Accordingly, what we see has been STEADY AND CONSISTENT PROGRESS, and in fact we should be happier that other African teams are getting stronger because the tougher (and heightened) continental competition ultimately makes us tougher and more competitive on the global stage.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Gotti wrote:
kalani JR wrote:The better comparison would be the World Cup (where we have gained a grand total of 5 points since 1999 and have finished with a negative goal difference in every appearance since 2003) not Africa were many of the teams underfund their women's football programs.
But he's not using the WC as a basis...
But rather the simplistic notion of us "eeking out" results against African teams.

In fact, even wrt the WC, apart from the great blip in 1999 when the astute Ismaila Mabo led a team built around Florence Omagbemi and 'Marvelous' Mercy Akide to win 2 games and the q-finals, only to be summarily canned by the then NFA, we have actually been more respectable over the past decade with 1 win in 2011 and 1 high-score draw against global female football powerhouse Sweden in 2015 - as opposed to say, the ZERO points/ZERO goals performances in 1991 and 2003. Furthermore, we have gone from being blown out by 3-times WWC champions US 1-7 in 1999 and 0-5 in 2003 to having them "eek out" a 1-0 victory in 2015, or being blown out 0-4 by 2-times WWC champions Germany in 1991 to their struggling to "eek out" a 1-0 victory against us in 2011.

Accordingly, what we see has been STEADY AND CONSISTENT PROGRESS, and in fact we should be happier that other African teams are getting stronger because the tougher (and heightened) continental competition ultimately makes us tougher and more competitive on the global stage.
Gotti… I know you know what I am saying....

I am not saying we are regressing, what I am saying is we are not growing at the clip that our toughest Africa opponents have been growing in the last 10 years. They have pretty much caught up with us. The consistent score line of eeeeking out victories through penalties proves my point. Team A or B or Z??? the results have pretty much being the same....and how do you know our preparation were any worse than our opponents ??? In Africa, its pretty much all the same issues of funding and organization.

As for playing in International competitions…. yes, the score lines have narrowed...which supports my assertion that we are improving just not at the pace that I think we are capable of...
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Ok I admit, I was wrong.
Its not an issue of not Growing...WE ARE ACTUALLY REGRESSING
:curse: :curse: :curse:
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

This was the worst win we have ever had on the international stage. it was an Ugly win vs south Korea.

On a positive note, the coach got his strategy right with the long balls behind the defense to Oparanozi and oshoala and it resulted into the 2 goals we scored. However we were disjointed for most of the 2 halves. Bringing in the new goal keeper was helpful and starting Okeke was a good thing. Unfortunately this poorly implemented long ball strategy is not a recipe to winning a championship.

The funny thing is we played well in the first half vs Norway even though we conceded 3 unfortunate avoidable goals. I want to believe there are some positives to this team: The new players Like the Goal keeper and Okeke makes me want to believe there are more better players on the bench. Also someone needs to work with Odega on making decisions with the crosses. She makes the run but then cant decided where or when and how to cross. She could be a difference make for this team.

I really want to commend the efforts of these ladies because I know they don't want to disappoint. I hope they put up a credible performance in their next game vs France. It could be the redeeming game for them in the eyes skeptical Nigerian fans like yself/size]
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

We just failed to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics
There was drama at the Agege stadium Lagos Monday evening as the Super Falcons were eliminated on the away goal rule after their second leg second round clash against Cote d' Ivoire on a 1-1 draw after the first leg ended on a goalless stalemate.

The Nigeria Football Federation officials and their counterparts from Cote d' Ivoire had to crosscheck what the FIFA and CAF rules say on away goals to decide outcomes of two legged fixtures.

In the game proper, the Falcons started the game on a promising note as Gift Monday let fly a shot at the edge of the Ivorian box but agonizingly missed target.

However the guests scored in the 12th minute as a free-kick by Kapho Nana beat goalkeeper Nnadozie.

Ange N'guessan went close to doubling the advantage for the Ivorian side but Asisat Oshoala restored parity for Nigeria in the 34th minute when she latched onto a through pass.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

JACKAL wrote:We just failed to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics
Is anyone really surprised? :blink:

Several senior players (including WWC 2019 skipper Desire Oparanozie, Onome Ebi, Rita Chikeluba, etc.) were blacklisted and prohibited from being called-up by the NFF for reportedly leading the protest for the payment of the Falcons’ unpaid allowances and bonuses, and firing all the assistant coaches (apparently for being sympathetic towards the protests), which caused the substantive coach Tom Dennerby to excuse himself and stay away from this qualifier, and resulting in the hurried appointment of Chris Danjuma as caretaker coach of an NFF-selected squad. You reap what you sow!
Last edited by Gotti on Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Panick is not on duty. He's busy trying to get his houses back. Wetin concern him and football well apart from his monthly pay and side meat and stolen goodies and........?
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

Bump
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?