African football legends who thrill Lagos fans.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet
African football legends who thrill Lagos fans.

Post by Senator WIRES »

Ghana legend Stephen Appiah was among a galaxy of African football legends who played the testimonial match in honour of outgoing Lagos Gov. Akinwunmi Ambode at the Agege Stadium in Lagos on Saturday.

The match dubbed “The Match” witnessed the highest number of African legend to played in a Nigerian testimonial game as compared to similar matches organised in the past.

African legends like former Liverpool star Titi Camara of Guinea and Senegal winger Khalllou Fadiga as well as Appiah were part of the top players lined up against their Nigerian opponents.

Others are Lomana Lualua, Seydou Keita and former African Footballer of the Year, El Hadji Diouf of Senegal and were coached by Nigeria’s Fanny Amun.

For the Nigerian greats, ace dribbler, Jay Jay Okocha led others such as Mutiu Adepoju, Uche Okechukwu, Garba Lawal, goalkeeper Peter Rufai, Nwankwo Kanu, Augustine Eguavoen and Ike Shorunmu.

Other players were ace comedian, Ayo Makun (AY), Daniel Amokachi, Tijani Babangida, Deputy Governor of Edo State, Philip Shuaibu, Julius Aghahowa and Obafemi Martins.
hey were coached by the Atlanta 96 Gold Medalist Coach, Jo Bonfere.

The highly entertaining match ended 4-4.

The African Stars goal scorers were Titi Camara and El Hadji Diouf who both scored a brace, while Kanu Nwankwo, Garba Lawal, Obafemi Martins and Ayo Makun scored for Nigerian stars.

El Hadji Diouf, former African Footballer of the Year, and the Most Valuable Player (MVP) of the game, said he was delighted to be part of the history.

I am happy to be part of this match because I have great respect for Nigerians and their footballers whom I have met and played with.

“I know that Nigerians love the game of football, hence it is good to come here and honour the governor,” he said.

NAN reports that Gov. Ambode was inducted into the Hall of Fame by President General of Nigerian Football Supporters Club, Rafiu Ladipo, who described the governor as someone who truly has passion for sports.

Also in attendance were the Governor of Gombe State, Ibrahim Dankwambo, Chairman of the Lagos State Sports Commission, Kweku Tandoh and some Lagos State commissioners.
https://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/ ... nor-747570
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC