Miracle of Dammam - Full match

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gadfly
Egg
Egg
Miracle of Dammam - Full match

Post by Gadfly »

Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Miracle of Dammam - Full match

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Wow!! Thanks for posting this vid bro.This is my first time watching this storied game, i must admit that it's GWG in its original form. Authentic niaja passion, skill, hunger together with our usual not so positive traits. Dang......My respect for Mutiu just went higher that its ever been. Dude was a MF general as far back as 1989, just like he was in 94 and 2002. :shock: Gotta be longest tenure as a MF general in our football history.

Dimeji Lawal was overhyped by Nigerian but Ohenhen's left foot was helele. See FK. :shock: It was SE for life before watching this video but now I believe the big bang theory was a SE free kick that scattered everything. Up Nigeria!!! :thumbs: :thumbs:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Clean and intelligent play by Naija players .
What has really gone wrong with our football development? Those were all home based boys coached by a local coach.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

5 years later Oleg Salenko used Cameroon to set record
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Sir V wrote:Clean and intelligent play by Naija players .
What has really gone wrong with our football development? Those were all home based boys coached by a local coach.
Some people still believe there is no problem, since we won AFCON in 2013 and many of our players are getting signed by clubs in Europe.

The truth is we are not producing quality players like we used to. Five outfield players in our starting eleven were born/developed abroad - Ekong, Aina, Semi, Aribo, Iwobi. And that number is going to continue to increase if something is not done.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

I remember that day, one of the funniest and most memorable days of my life.

I had to 'branch' in my Aunty's house to listen live because I couldn't reach home on time for the match. Not a soccer fan by any means, but she latched onto my excitement.
So all she knew was that some small "children" were playing in some far away place representing Nigeria and that's how she got caught up in the emotion of the moment as a mother. :lol: :lol: :lol:

After going through the tension of 90 minutes she was devastated when extra time was declared and started begging for the boys to be "released". She felt it was not fair on these children. By the time the penalty shoot out was declared she was in despair and was blaming the government for putting these children in such a predicament.
"Won ti try, aw'omo l'omo. Ki wan ma bo nle! Kilode?" (They have tried their best, these kids. They should come home! Weytin?). All this before the penalty shoot out even started. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
After the eventual victory, come and see how the woman was dancing in her parlour as if she had just won the lottery.
May she RIP.... :D

After the match I hailed a taxi and the excited taxi driver carried me from Costain to 'Kilo' in Surulere free of charge.
Lagos was just absolutely crazy that day!
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Damunk wrote:I remember that day, one of the funniest and most memorable days of my life.

I had to 'branch' in my Aunty's house to listen live because I couldn't reach home on time for the match. Not a soccer fan by any means, but she latched onto my excitement.
So all she knew was that some small "children" were playing in some far away place representing Nigeria and that's how she got caught up in the emotion of the moment as a mother. :lol: :lol: :lol:

After going through the tension of 90 minutes she was devastated when extra time was declared and started begging for the boys to be "released". She felt it was not fair on these children. By the time the penalty shoot out was declared she was in despair and was blaming the government for putting these children in such a predicament.
"Won ti try, aw'omo l'omo. Ki wan ma bo nle! Kilode?" (They have tried their best, these kids. They should come home! Weytin?). All this before the penalty shoot out even started. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
After the eventual victory, come and see how the woman was dancing in her parlour as if she had just won the lottery.

After the match I hailed a taxi and the excited taxi driver carried me from Costain to 'Kilo' in Surulere free of charge.
And you sir, you are a wicked nephew for subjecting her to all of that tension. :lol: :lol:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Damunk wrote:I remember that day, one of the funniest and most memorable days of my life.

I remember that day like yesterday. NTA showed only the opening match against Saudi Arabia live, all other matches were shown later in the evening, so we had to make do with live commentaries.
After the Soviet union scored the 4th goal, I went outside to pluck guavas. I was on the guava tree when we scored 2 goals and I decided to go back inside to finish listening to the commentary. The 3rd goal was scored when I was about entering the house and there was total bedlam when we equalised. The recorded version of the match that NTA showed that night must have attracted the highest viewing in Nigeria. For days afterwards, that match was the main topic of discussion in Nigeria.
Subsequently, NTA resumed showing the Flying Eagles matches live.
I am happy
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Gadfly wrote:

Thanks....I have the VCD somewhere, but the PKs were not included.

Ironically I knew all Soviet players, but only few Naija players.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Polly
Egg
Egg

Post by Polly »

Thanks for posting this video; I am downloading it right now so as to watch it on a large screen. The match cost me a couple of friendships because I had it on a video which I subsequently brought to the US. I loaned it to a friend who had not seen the match and only got back a copy of my own video five years later (on two videos).
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Dammy wrote:

I remember that day like yesterday. NTA showed only the opening match against Saudi Arabia live, all other matches were shown later in the evening, so we had to make do with live commentaries.
After the Soviet union scored the 4th goal, I went outside to pluck guavas. I was on the guava tree when we scored 2 goals and I decided to go back inside to finish listening to the commentary. The 3rd goal was scored when I was about entering the house and there was total bedlam when we equalised. The recorded version of the match that NTA showed that night must have attracted the highest viewing in Nigeria. For days afterwards, that match was the main topic of discussion in Nigeria.
Subsequently, NTA resumed showing the Flying Eagles matches live.
The Czechoslovakia game (last group game) where Christopher Nwosu scored the Maradona like goal was shown live too. I think it was only the Portugal game (our second group game) that wasn't shown live. Mehn I will never forget the USSR game mehn. The funniest thing it was on a weekend. Why they didn't show that game live still beats me till date.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

:boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: @ damunk getting excited while men beating up boys..some 30 years ago so called youth football
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

i also remembered this game listening on Radio Nigeria- Russia 4-0 up - we all assumed game was over and my street acted like nothing is happening - to my surprise 4-4 and pen win the noise + celebration was like we won the cup already
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

walesvilla wrote:i also remembered this game listening on Radio Nigeria- Russia 4-0 up - we all assumed game was over and my street acted like nothing is happening - to my surprise 4-4 and pen win the noise + celebration was like we won the cup already
I believe they were still USSR then...
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

old men full hia self but I wanna know who designed that logo for the Saudis
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Still my best ever day as a football fan. Better than 98 against Spain. Bigger than 80, 94 and 13. Just because of the sheer improbability and drama of it.

Side story:
When it went 4:2, a boy in our dormitory said he’d eat his shoe if we equalised.
Evil boys made sure he kept his promise. Dude’s bowels didn’t move for days.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Gadfly wrote:

Shebi you dey Siberia where they were trying unsuccessfully to indoctrinate you, part of the curricula was to memorise all the Russian players name..
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Do people actually care about under aged footie? Lol
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Robotnik wrote:Do people actually care about under aged footie? Lol
...if you love footie you will love everything footie, men, women, boys and girls.
U20 is not much an youth group, some of the players are qualified to be called professionals and playing at top clubs.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

oloye wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Gadfly wrote:

Shebi you dey Siberia where they were trying unsuccessfully to indoctrinate you, part of the curricula was to memorise all the Russian players name..

True.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Chei I wasn't even born yet when this game was played.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Tobi17 wrote:Chei I wasn't even born yet when this game was played.

Don't feel bad, Pa Ohsee was born twice-over when the game was played.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Thanks for the video. Great memories.

1 or 2 years before, in a local match, I played against Dimeji Lawal, Chris Nwosu and a talented chap by the name of Matthew Edebgai. The trio were special and we believed they will go far. Seeing Lawal and Nwosu go all the way to world level was simply delightful. Was in Ife when the match took place and campus went wild with the equaliser. A must watch for every true fan of nigerian football.