Qatari World Cup to remain 32 teams only.

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg
Qatari World Cup to remain 32 teams only.

Post by kalani JR »

Fifa is set to ditch plans to expand the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to 48 teams and play some games in neighbouring countries.

Gianni Infantino, the Fifa president, had been pushing for the tournament to be expanded from 32 teams — with some matches being played elsewhere in the Middle East — but has reluctantly had to accept that it would be too challenging to do so.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/spor ... -ztlq6bk9c
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Qatari World Cup to remain 32 teams only.

Post by Coach »

Always was a ludicrous idea.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

smart folks, unlike CFA
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

It was silly to try to increase the number of teams after the bid was won for 32 teams.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Oga EII won't be happy. :D
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Ghana just got knocked da f&;! Out 3 years before pioom :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Ghana just got knocked da f&;! Out 3 years before pioom :laugh:
stop wetting your bed
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Kai! Ogolo won’t be happy. Opportunity for Kenya to play in the World Cup has been dashed away.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The YeyeMan wrote:Oga EII won't be happy. :D
You are correct on this. However, I did think it was a long shot given the time and the enormity in the region. It was a good effort by Infantino getting the FIFA votes for it but time failed him. No big deal and on to 48 team World Cup in 2026 as already approved.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

It’s as if some FIFA members (Non European) where pushing for this to happen earlier than needed, my guess is that the likes of China and the UAE wanted the expansion instantly!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Eaglezbeak wrote:It’s as if some FIFA members (Non European) where pushing for this to happen earlier than needed, my guess is that the likes of China and the UAE wanted the expansion instantly!
CAF members as well. It was passed by FIFA in its last meeting (I believe somewhere in S/America). However, logistics finally shut it down.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Look anything that keeps fake countries from playing in tournaments that they do not belong. I've never seen anyone in real life from Kenya, Mauritania or Uganda much less someone who can say they've been but somehow they are in the AFCON, the World Cup cannot suffer a similar disgrace.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

kalani JR wrote:Look anything that keeps fake countries from playing in tournaments that they do not belong. I've never seen anyone in real life from Kenya, Mauritania or Uganda much less someone who can say they've been but somehow they are in the AFCON, the World Cup cannot suffer a similar disgrace.

I totally agreed. We don't need any more African teams at the World cup. The five we sent to Russia didn't get out of the group. I am not looking forward to Afcon because there are too many useless teams at the tournament. Uganda? Kenya? WTF? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!