U20 WYC: NGR 0 vs USA 2 (FT)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: U20 WYC: NGR 0 vs USA 2 (2H)

Post by Gotti »

truetalk wrote:Finally.

Tijani was impressive in the U-20 AFCON
Tijani was not at the U20 AFCON...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Gotti wrote:
txj wrote:The team ALWAYS had a below average level of tactical organization.

It didn't degenerate. It just got exposed.
You do realize that it is possible for even a team with "a below average level of tactical organization" to actually degenerate or get worse (after all, several Liverpool teams did over the years :lol: )?
In which case degeneration cannot and should never be offered as an excuse.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: U20 WYC: NGR 0 vs USA 2 (FT)

Post by Enugu II »

FIFAU20WC: The second Soto goal killed the game – Aigbogun
https://www.aclsports.com/fifau20wc-the ... -aigbogun/

Two Sebastian Soto goals set the US U20 team away with the 3 points in this Group D clash at the quite beautiful stadium in Bielsko-Biala, Poland, www.aclsports.com reports.

The US team led by the prompting in midfield of skipper Paxton Pomykal and the speed of Tim Weah out on the left tied Nigeria Flying Eagles in knots all over the pitch. The Nigerians were never able to get hold of the game at any time.

The two coaches Paul Aigbogun and Tab Ramos of the US gave their reactions in the post match press conference.

“We started Tom (Dele-Bashiru) in an advanced midfield role almost like a second striker so we could stop the US from building up the games from the back. However, they were much better and managed to bypass him and our early press a lot to get through.”

Maybe this was the reason for the Man City starlets replacement? “Not at all. He was not doing anything particularly poor, we just wanted to combat the way our opponents were playing in a different manner.”

Towards the end of the first half, the Flying Eagles did respond slightly to the challenge and Aigbogun acknowledged this “we eventually started to get to grips with the game and started creating some chances but the early goal in the second half killed the game I felt”.

Coach of the USA side Ramos was full of praise for his midfielders Chris Durkin and Paxton Pomykal “Chris and Paxton were crucial in the way we wanted to play this game tonight. We love to keep the ball and recycle possession as much as possible and these two players were crucial”.

Two goal hero Soto also got praise from his manager “After the Ukraine game we knew we needed a proper no 9 be in the box for us. Fortunately he got the goals his overall game deserved”.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Gotti wrote:
truetalk wrote:Finally.

Tijani was impressive in the U-20 AFCON
Tijani was not at the U20 AFCON...
He wasn't. Sadly I had my Gambari/Fulani striker moment. I was just too desperate for this useless No. 9 that played today to be hauled off.
I assumed Tijani was Yahaya, who was the closest thing to a half decent striker at the AFCON. (Effiom was OK too).

This team was very difficult to score against during AFCON (Saw all the games). They had a hard time scoring, but Yahaya was lively, athletic, skilful and took on defenders. I assumed he was a sure bet to make the final team.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

The problem is not just coaching but poor player selection. The U.S was not also better coached, but also had better players. Not suprising they hsve more players featuring for bigger clubs than we do.
ohenhen1 wrote:
wale1974 wrote:The best team won..................Nothing more to add.
The best team on the day won. Nigeria was out coached. Aigbogun had no answers. The next game is on Thursday. We have to make changes.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:
FIFAU20WC: The second Soto goal killed the game – Aigbogun
https://www.aclsports.com/fifau20wc-the ... -aigbogun/

Two Sebastian Soto goals set the US U20 team away with the 3 points in this Group D clash at the quite beautiful stadium in Bielsko-Biala, Poland, http://www.aclsports.com reports.

The US team led by the prompting in midfield of skipper Paxton Pomykal and the speed of Tim Weah out on the left tied Nigeria Flying Eagles in knots all over the pitch. The Nigerians were never able to get hold of the game at any time.

The two coaches Paul Aigbogun and Tab Ramos of the US gave their reactions in the post match press conference.

“We started Tom (Dele-Bashiru) in an advanced midfield role almost like a second striker so we could stop the US from building up the games from the back. However, they were much better and managed to bypass him and our early press a lot to get through.”

Maybe this was the reason for the Man City starlets replacement? “Not at all. He was not doing anything particularly poor, we just wanted to combat the way our opponents were playing in a different manner.”

Towards the end of the first half, the Flying Eagles did respond slightly to the challenge and Aigbogun acknowledged this “we eventually started to get to grips with the game and started creating some chances but the early goal in the second half killed the game I felt”.

Coach of the USA side Ramos was full of praise for his midfielders Chris Durkin and Paxton Pomykal “Chris and Paxton were crucial in the way we wanted to play this game tonight. We love to keep the ball and recycle possession as much as possible and these two players were crucial”.

Two goal hero Soto also got praise from his manager “After the Ukraine game we knew we needed a proper no 9 be in the box for us. Fortunately he got the goals his overall game deserved”.
The key part of the press is not the first line. He had nothing behind the first press. 2ndly, if he watched the Ukraine game properly , he should have understood the proper positioning of players when the US split the CDs.

It was so easy it looked elementary...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

olu wrote:The problem is not just coaching but poor player selection. The U.S was not also better coached, but also had better players. Not suprising they hsve more players featuring for bigger clubs than we do.
ohenhen1 wrote:
The best team on the day won. Nigeria was out coached. Aigbogun had no answers. The next game is on Thursday. We have to make changes.
That is what ohenhen1 is missing. It was not close. Even in 1 v 1 situations, the technical ability of the USA boys was clearly evident. As I think back about this game, we would have been better off defending (respecting the superiority of the USA team) and then use counters. However, I am not sure we still could have won because we did not even have the pace advantage that I expected. The fact is that this was a classic BEAT DOWN.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:
olu wrote:The problem is not just coaching but poor player selection. The U.S was not also better coached, but also had better players. Not suprising they hsve more players featuring for bigger clubs than we do.
ohenhen1 wrote:
That is what ohenhen1 is missing. It was not close. Even in 1 v 1 situations, the technical ability of the USA boys was clearly evident. As I think back about this game, we would have been better off defending (respecting the superiority of the USA team) and then use counters. However, I am not sure we still could have won because we did not even have the pace advantage that I expected. The fact is that this was a classic BEAT DOWN.

Perhaps you can begin to understand my point about the lack of proper education of our players in the Nigerian domestic game.

Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

Okpari oooooohhhhhh. Hope 4 better performance against Ukraine.
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

txj wrote:In which case degeneration cannot and should never be offered as an excuse.
You do know the difference between a fact (well, a fact-based opinion) and an excuse, don't you?

Why would anyone need to make an "excuse" in a tournament where 23 teams will ultimately lose?
Except perhaps for those making "excuses" for why Nigeria so badly beat Qatar barely a few days ago?
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

oscar52 wrote:
mystic wrote:
oscar52 wrote:
Gotti wrote:Corruption in Nigeria has turned Nigerian analysts into lazy thinkers who precipitously ascribe everything to nebulous "corruption". :D

Anyone who actually FOLLOWED this team, instead of just showing on CE on match-days, would have been well aware that the cupboard was very thin (if not almost bare) from Day One of the qualifiers. For example, we tried so many players at RB that we ended playing a right-winger Mike Zarummu at RB at the AYC (even tried to play 3-5-2 that is uncharacteristic of Coach Aigogbun's teams, just to accommodate him as RWB), but after getting repeatedly skewered, Zaruma was then dropped from the squad entirely because we were supposedly getting former England U18 international defender Ahogrenashinme "Ash" Kigbu (now playing in the Austrian league) to play at RB. When that fell through at the last minute (as these thing invariablty seem to), we then turned a defensive midfielder into effectively an emergency RB - and when folks show up on match-day on CE they wonder why we have such a subpar RB and perhaps conclude that it is due to the ubiquitous "corruption"!

Coaches have to live and die by their decisions, and those decisions are not necessarily limited to on-field ones. Accordingly, Paul set out his stall very early with a seeming preference for foreign-born players of Nigerian ancestry (with some Nigerian 'journalists', and even CEs, lauding him as one way to overcome suspicions of age fraud). Thus, when the Flying Eagles' attack "wombled and fumbled" at the AYC, he never bothered looking inward in the Nigerian domestic leagues or academies but instead concentrated his effort on, and eventually secured the affiliation switch of German-born striker Chinedu Ekene (a former skipper of the German U18 team and current Hoffenheim youth team player, after spending his entire previous youth career at Leverkeusen), and thereafter rested on his oars. Eventually training camp opens in Germany and what happens - Chinedu Ekene pulls a no-show!

Nollywood couldn't dream up some of our ineptitude, but it ain't "corruption"! You simply reap what you sow (or did not).
Zaruma played better than the current RB at AYC. Not sure what is wrong with converting a winger to a RB if he can play the role well.

Zaruma would've been eaten alive by Timothy Weah. Despite being in over his head today, I really like Zulkifilu. He's being wasted at Right Back though.
The RB today was piss poor. I just can't imagine a poorer player at RB. What Weah was doing was pretty basic but the RB was just not calm or athletic enough to handle them. I remember Zaruma making hard tackles and doing well tracking his man at the AYC but then again that was in Africa. The issue at the AYC was the offense, the issue with this team at this tourney is offense, midfield, and defense - the whole nine yards except the goalie.

Zaruma was poor at the African Tournament and would've been roasted and fried had he been on the pitch today. His best games were against the weaklings that we had in our group, but once the competition got stronger (2 games against South Africa and the semifinal vs Mali) he was exposed. Zulkifilu from what I've seen in the first 2 games is a big time talent who is miscast as a RB.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:

Perhaps you can begin to understand my point about the lack of proper education of our players in the Nigerian domestic game.

Txj,

TBH, I do not believe it has much to do with football education. You know my take on that issue. I just think this was a poorly prepared team and unfortunately they met a team that was talented and well prepared. Think about this: Was this the FE team that played in Niger? Why was there so many inclusion of foreign based players very close to competition time? This is surely not a pickup tournament. These are some of the issues that we must also grapple with.

To make matters worse, did the coach not scout the USA team at least watch their game v Ukraine? Really, annoying stuff.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

This is embarrassing Man!

I have texts on my phone I can't respond to; and I am in Nigeria.

Persin no even fit tell Futcha to Sharrap in peace anymore.

On to AFCON & the FIBA World Cup this Summer.

I'll just be watching this tournament without much emotion going forward.

Still think the rain had something to do with the lethargy that seemed to grip us today :sneaky: :sneaky:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:

Txj,

TBH, I do not believe it has much to do with football education. You know my take on that issue. I just think this was a poorly prepared team and unfortunately they met a team that was talented and well prepared. Think about this: Was this the FE team that played in Niger? Why was there so many inclusion of foreign based players very close to competition time? This is surely not a pickup tournament. These are some of the issues that we must also grapple with.

To make matters worse, did the coach not scout the USA team at least watch their game v Ukraine? Really, annoying stuff.

The first instinct of most of the players on receipt of the ball is to embark on a run.

Take Utin at LB. 11 out of 10 Nigerian domestic players play like him. Without an understanding of the position. While he was being serenaded by many here against Qatar, I knew he was a liability.

The first challenge of working with Nigerian players is to get them to buy into the concept of the. modern team game.

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Gotti wrote:
txj wrote:In which case degeneration cannot and should never be offered as an excuse.
You do know the difference between a fact (well, a fact-based opinion) and an excuse, don't you?

Why would anyone need to make an "excuse" in a tournament where 23 teams will ultimately lose?
Except perhaps for those making "excuses" for why Nigeria so badly beat Qatar barely a few days ago?
Ouch!! :laugh:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Thunder
Egg
Egg

Post by Thunder »

Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:

Txj,

EII, football education is part of the preparation, too. The US calls different player to camps every 2 or 3 months across different age groups and genders. They’re schooled in different tactics & formations. So, that way, whoever makes the final roster knows what’s expected of him. I agree with you, though, that our coach didn’t even bother to scout them. Look at Ukraine, they know it would suicidal to play an open game against the US, hence they boggled down on defense and play on the counter. Truth be told, this is worst I’ve ever seen a Nigerian team play. Btw, Chris was immense for the US. He was their Ngolo Kante today.
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

One of the worst teams I have ever seen Nigeria assemble at any level. This team will not go far.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

Some of u guys need to have faith. There r loses. Some teams r just doing fancy 1st round, its the knockout stage we see the goats from the sheep.
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
slyk
Egg
Egg

Post by slyk »

Winning a trophy is good but the ultimate aim of these age grade tourneys is player development for the senior team. Unlike in previous U-20 squads where one could identify a few players that could potentially make it to the big time, I do not see any of the current crop making it to the senior team.

Maybe some of them will make step improvements in the coming years but so far, this squad holds no promise.

Also, I understand not having the players of the technical ability of the U.S team or being out-coached but what I do not accept is being outworked as we were in the first half.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

We lost to the U.S on two fronts, tactics and talent. The U.S was by far the more disciplined and organized team and their players just seemed better individually. Like I said earlier, I don't think it's coincidence that several of the U.S players play for bigger clubs than our boys. I find it hard to believe that Aigbogun selected the best 23 Nigerian players under 20. He relied too heavily on foreign based or raised players. Maybe he felt that would be a quick way to success. Till about 2 weeks ago we had several foreign based/raised players coming in and out of camp. Don't think this team got the chance to work on building chemistry and it shows.

A couple suggestions. We should not play with Dele-Bashiru, Micheal, and Mohammed at the same time except we are trying to defend a lead. All 3 are good players, but that is essentially playing with 3 holding midfielders. One of the three should be sacrificed for Okon who is more of an attacking threat and willing to take on players. Also Akor and Tijani offer little upfront. Neither know how to use their size or hold up the ball. Maybe Makanjoula or Chinoso could be better upfront.

Aigbogun is paying for his poor player selection. Will be surprised if this team improves that much against Ukraine. Either way I don't see us going far in the tournament. This team is poor tactically and talent wise. As a Nigerian fan, I do hope they prove me wrong.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

so those old men cannot beat kids? guess when you are highly dis organized, all it takes is an organized team to rip you to shreds!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

marko wrote:so those old men cannot beat kids? guess when you are highly dis organized, all it takes is an organized team to rip you to shreds!
If the old men were good, they wouldn't be playing in academies, 2nd division and non-league clubs. Take a closer look at the profile of each of our players and you will see the fraud that was committed by the selectors.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

slyk wrote:Winning a trophy is good but the ultimate aim of these age grade tourneys is player development for the senior team. Unlike in previous U-20 squads where one could identify a few players that could potentially make it to the big time, I do not see any of the current crop making it to the senior team.

Maybe some of them will make step improvements in the coming years but so far, this squad holds no promise.

Also, I understand not having the players of the technical ability of the U.S team or being out-coached but what I do not accept is being outworked as we were in the first half.
'

Yeah that was bad, unacceptable. The coach need to bench multiple players. The problem is we lack depth.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx