MARTINS: To be or not to be as per ANC

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
MARTINS: To be or not to be as per ANC

Post by Enugu II »

Obafemi sneaks into Lagos
By Peter Demeyin
UNKNOWN to many Nigerians, Inter Milan's rave of the moment, Obafemi Martins, is at present holidaying in the country, and has expressed serious doubts about his participation in next year's Nations Cup to be hosted in Tunis.

Christened "Obagol" for his predatory instints for goals, Martins was cornered at one of the outlets of the popular eatery, Mr. Biggs in Lagos last Wednesday evening as he drove in a dark green convertible Mercedes Benz, accompanied by his elder brother Ladipo Olurotimi Martins, and two other ladies.

Pressed for his views on next year's Nations Cup in Tunis, Martins was initially evasive, but later stated his position.

"I don't think I would be able to play in the Nations Cup, because of club commitment. You know I have just been promoted to the first team and I haven't established my position in the team yet. So I don't think I would be available for the Nations Cup," he affirmed.

He confirmed that he actually met with the scribe of the soccer house, Taiwo Ogunjobi in Italy, concerning his participation at the biennial championship.

"it is not that I don't want to play for my country, but if I feature in the Nations Cup, my position at club level would be jeorpadised and I don't want to risk my future," he added.

The striker debunked insinuation that he has been playing hide and seek game with the soccer house, because he plans to adopt Italian citizenship with the intention to play for the Azziris.

He explained he has never nursed such an ambition. "At the appropriate time, I will play for Nigeria, but not now," he quipped.

Martins attracted the attention of the soccer house last season as he became an instent hit with Inter Milan, scoring three goals in the European championship league, and though he was invited several time to the National team, he his always rebuffed all the entreaties. It was widely reported that he would play at the All African Games held in Abak in October, but as usual the strike who presently had four goals in the serie A refused to show up.
Ijapa
Egg
Egg

Post by Ijapa »

Enugu II,
Dis guy sef - make u begin dey post URL
You future depends on your dreams: so go to sleep
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

This young man should be left alone.
Last edited by GUEST on Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

This story get as e be! But obafemi is feeling reluctant to play for Chukwu.
Last edited by Sir V on Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

I have always taken the position that Nigeria should take the long view with Martins, discuss with the man and arrive at a decision which meets everybody's interests.
But an invitation was sent out to him, and the NFA was reportedly said to have spoken with him and reached an agreement with he and his club. That being the case, he has no right to pick and choose when to answer the call.
I believe we should now simply move on, and whenever he deems himself ready, the decision should be made there and then if he is needed. And this is on the assumption the above story is correct.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

txj wrote:I have always taken the position that Nigeria should take the long view with Martins, discuss with the man and arrive at a decision which meets everybody's interests.
But an invitation was sent out to him, and the NFA was reportedly said to have spoken with him and reached an agreement with he and his club. That being the case, he has no right to pick and choose when to answer the call.
I believe we should now simply move on, and whenever he deems himself ready, the decision should be made there and then if he is needed. And this is on the assumption the above story is correct.
How many times dem wan meet with am discuss? Personally I just think the press is cooking up stories as usual. You know Nigeria's preparation for the ANC would not be complete without stories such as this. I believe Martins is going to be in Tunisia because the NFA has meet with him and an agreement has been reached.
mystic

Post by mystic »

Robby:

Like you I'm viewing this report with skepticism. Even the title sef dey misleading.
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

"Once beaten twice shy." I say not to be. We're already used to life without him so we wont miss him.
...but with God all things are possible...
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

It is easy to dismiss this as a possible fabrication but the matter has come up too many times to dismiss it that easily.

I not even sure it is as simple as not wanting to play for Chukwu as the Nigerian set up from long been beset by organisational and managment problems.

I think he needs to come clean on this issue, and if he does want to we must just cut our losses and move on.
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Martins is making himself available for the Italian National team. I say goodbye to bad ridiance. I am confident that one day he will look back in sorrow. the day he passed on the opportunity to play for his fatherland, and this is not a curse.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

If this is true then he is a big time wally!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Among a people generally corrupt liberty cannot long exist - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

Sir V,

This is nothing to do with not wanting to play for CCC or any coach.

Martins is just putting his career first.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

F@$k him!!!!!!!