FIFA WWC 2019

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
FIFA WWC 2019

Post by Damunk »

I think this belongs in Eagles Nest since we are involved.

First game: France beat S Korea 4-0.

Falcons play Norway later tonight - Go Falcons! :thumbs:

"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: FIFA WWC 2019

Post by metalalloy »

Lets go Falcons! Abeg come correct for dis world cup oh!
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Oshoala: I go to have fun on the pitch
08 Jun 2019

Barcelona’s Asisat Oshoala enters France 2019 as one of its biggest names
The 24-year-old explains why she never feels under pressure

© Getty Images

By Ann Odong with Nigeria
Asisat Oshoala was, five years ago, universally tipped as the next big superstar in women’s football. The forward was fresh from electrifying at the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup, leaving with the adidas Golden Ball and adidas Golden Boot.

While Nigeria played some of the most entertaining football at the last FIFA Women's World Cup™, they were unable to make it out of a tough group that included eventual champions USA, Australia and Sweden.

Four years on, older and wiser, Asisat Oshoala is now what she was expected to become back then: a genuine star of the global game. She has claimed three African Women’s Footballer of the Year prizes and just agreed a new deal with Spanish giants Barcelona, for whom she scored in the recent UEFA Women’s Champions League final.

With status, however, comes pressure, and Oshoala enters France 2019, which will begin her against Norway on Saturday, carrying the hopes of a football-impassioned nation on her shoulders. That may weigh on some players, but not the Nigeria No8.

“For me, I am never under pressure because I love what I do,” Oshoala told FIFA.com. “I love my job. I see it like I’m going to have fun on the pitch.

“A lot of people are expecting much from me, but for me it’s just a day-to-day thing. Go out there and play football, help the team, help my team-mates, get some goals if possible.”

That mature attitude is one of the reasons coach Thomas Dennerby has appointed Oshoala vice-captain of the Super Falcons, behind skipper Desire Oparanozie. That trust is mutual, with the 24-year-old believing the Swede will play an important part in Nigeria’s success.

“Now we have a lot of professional players, and now we have a professional coach as well, who has experience with other national teams in the same tournament,” said Oshoala. “He has really helped the team to be much better when it comes to the team patterns and understanding your opponent. I feel like we have the quality, and now we have a coach who knows how to use the quality in the team, so it is a big advantage for us.”

The quality is certainly there, with Nigeria boasting one of the most exciting attacks at France 2019. The likes of Francisca Ordega and Ngozi Okobi have four years’ experience in leading women’s football leagues. Add to that thrilling new talent in Rasheedat Ajibade, Anam Imo, Uchenna Kanu and Chinaza Uchendu and the Super Falcons look set to soar.

It has been 20 years since Oshoala’s childhood hero Mercy Akide led Nigeria to the USA 1999 quarter-finals – their best Women’s World Cup performance. Oshoala hopes to follow in Akide’s footsteps and believes the Super Falcons can make a statement at France 2019 and translate their continental dominance into global success.

“We just feel like we don’t want to make up numbers for the tournament,” she said. “We don’t want to be just participants. We want to try and qualify from the group stage and move forward.”
https://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/new ... -the-pitch
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Oshoala is fine o
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I wish them good luck. I dont have high expectations for the team. They havent played well in a long time.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

ANC wrote:Oshoala is fine o
Fact not feelings. :smile:
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

It looks to me like Desire is fitter than she’s been for years and the captaincy is a big demonstration of trust. Alongside Asisat they’ll pose a stern test for any defence.
This team is loaded with talent. It’s a tough group, but if the prep has been as good as I’m hearing it was, they could be a force.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Oparanozie nko?

Ajiade is quite pretty but she no just send with that her boyish low cut

But the queen though is Odega.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Damunk wrote:
Oparanozie nko?
The queen though is Odega.
What’s with the sexism?
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

txj wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Oparanozie nko?
The queen though is Odega.
What’s with the sexism?
Its sad that we live in a world today where paying a woman a compliment about her looks is seen as 'sexism'.

I take it you believe women talking about the good looks of male footballers is also 'sexism' right?

Or the guy in the RIP Keshi thread that said he was a good looking young footballer is 'gay'?

Oga please.
No bring your ITK come another thread.
I take God beg you.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

She is a footballer. It is kind of sexism if the focus of the discussion is mostly about her looks and not about football.

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

ohenhen1 wrote:She is a footballer. It is kind of sexism if the focus of the discussion is mostly about her looks and not about football.
IF.
How many hundreds of times have we discussed Oshoala, Oparanozie, Odega and their football on this forum that even you can remember?
Everything else is now banned?
So when they posed for a glamour shoot recently, that was sexism too?

Zokay nah.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Also if it makes the person uncomfortable. How would you feel if you earn less than another person because of your gender. Instead of them treating you as an equal in the workplace , the boss is saying you are beautiful. You are fine, georgous and etc. It is kind of sexist. There is a time and place to hit on women not in a professional environment. After saying that it is okay to give compliments like, you look nice today
Last edited by ohenhen1 on Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

It’s pure sexism. This is a football forum. Keep the discussion to that.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Goalasooooooooooooo!!!!!

SA 1-0

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Showboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Showboy »

txj wrote:Goalasooooooooooooo!!!!!

SA 1-0
Good goal too!!

First time since 1999 any African team has scored first against European opposition at the WC :shock:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope" (Martin Luther King, Jr)
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Showboy wrote:

SA 1-0
Good goal too!!

First time since 1999 any African team has scored first against European opposition at the WC :shock:
Didn't the Falcons score 3 vs Sweden? What sort of silly stat is score first?
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Showboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Showboy »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
Showboy wrote:

SA 1-0
Good goal too!!

Didn't the Falcons score 3 vs Sweden? What sort of silly stat is score first?
A stat that was quoted and discussed by the commentators hence my shock look
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope" (Martin Luther King, Jr)
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

PK to Spain

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

2 YCs = RC

SylverEagles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SylverEagles »

Wow!!! That is such a harsh second penalty against RSA.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
SylverEagles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SylverEagles »

That was a nonsense award by VAR.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

2-1 Spain

No less than they deserve