White captains on mostly black teams

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

oscar52
Egg
Egg
White captains on mostly black teams

Post by oscar52 »

I sometimes thank God there are no whites in Nigeria. SA vs Spain, the only white SA player on the field is the captain (the coach looks east Indian). USA vs Ecuador U20, 9 of the 11 players are blacks, mixed, or Latino yet one of the two white players is the captain (the coach is white). I know its a team but those things send an unhealthy message that blacks cant lead. Not a good look.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: White captains on mostly black teams

Post by Scipio Africanus »

oscar52 wrote:I sometimes thank God there are no whites in Nigeria. SA vs Spain, the only white SA player on the field is the captain (the coach looks east Indian). USA vs Ecuador U20, 9 of the 11 players are blacks, mixed, or Latino yet one of the two white players is the captain (the coach is white). I know its a team but those things send an unhealthy message that blacks cant lead. Not a good look.
Hm, I wonder where they got that idea. BTW, the country from which you are typing this, is it led by black people?

Wha choo looking at?!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Mods please move this to world football forum
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

This is done as an indication of inclusiveness. Francedid the same for the ongoing men U-20.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

oscar52 wrote:I sometimes thank God there are no whites in Nigeria. SA vs Spain, the only white SA player on the field is the captain (the coach looks east Indian). USA vs Ecuador U20, 9 of the 11 players are blacks, mixed, or Latino yet one of the two white players is the captain (the coach is white). I know its a team but those things send an unhealthy message that blacks cant lead. Not a good look.
...what is the history of the SA captain on their women national football vs other black players )longevity and talent wise).
On the US team, please tell us also about the white captain time on the US youth program, his current status, club and talent.
Note, as a former player and coach myself, captaincy on a team is based on many things, especially leadership quality, ability to give command and lead by example.
So forget the white black thing.
Btw, why is some countries have all black players, but the leadership of the country is totally white? Example, Ecuador, Colombia?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

We should not be condoning racism on CE. In either direction.

This thread is racist.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Last edited by chief nfachairman on Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Well black people maybe in majority but they don’t have the power or even unity (see white Jesus) a lot of black People are happy with the status quo and wouldn’t respect another black person when given a Captains role!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

Do we always have to see racism in everything. Maybe we should applaud the white USA coach for fielding 9 people of color abi?
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

kawawa wrote:
Do we always have to see racism in everything. Maybe we should applaud the white USA coach for fielding 9 people of color abi?
All am asking for is that things be done on merit except if their is a societal value for deviation like affirmative action. If I see nine white players and a black captain sometimes I wont mind but all too often in France, England, USA you see a white captain on mostly minority teams. Seeing it in the SA women WC team , on the African continent is what seems odd to me. Its the wider impact beyond soccer that concerns me sha. Anyway some people see nothing wrong with it so I will keep quiet but there are black kids that can lead too and I dont buy the token stuff, there are other ways to do token but leadership should go to the person who deserves it, if its the white fine but too often in these countries the white players wear the captaincy even when they seem uncomfortable being one on the field.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

What do u expect when a country of 150 million blacks employs a white coach to manage their national team?
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
lacidi
Egg
Egg

Post by lacidi »

The SA captain is the oldest and most capped SA female footballer. This thread simply shows that the author does not follow African female football. The SA captain is in her late 30s and have been captain for more than 10 years.
Its nice when someone shoots ur murderer in the back, without asking to be paid.
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

This tread stinks .....pinching my nose
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

oscar52 wrote:
kawawa wrote:
All am asking for is that things be done on merit except if their is a societal value for deviation like affirmative action. If I see nine white players and a black captain sometimes I wont mind but all too often in France, England, USA you see a white captain on mostly minority teams. Seeing it in the SA women WC team , on the African continent is what seems odd to me. Its the wider impact beyond soccer that concerns me sha. Anyway some people see nothing wrong with it so I will keep quiet but there are black kids that can lead too and I dont buy the token stuff, there are other ways to do token but leadership should go to the person who deserves it, if its the white fine but too often in these countries the white players wear the captaincy even when they seem uncomfortable being one on the field.
Might just be the time to pack it up. This was not well thought through. Racism does exist, we all know but not everything is
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

txj wrote:We should not be condoning racism on CE. In either direction.

This thread is racist.
How?
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

lacidi wrote:The SA captain is the oldest and most capped SA female footballer. This thread simply shows that the author does not follow African female football. The SA captain is in her late 30s and have been captain for more than 10 years.
If that's the case, I rest my case. I was just pointing out something I noticed.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

lacidi wrote:The SA captain is the oldest and most capped SA female footballer. This thread simply shows that the author does not follow African female football. The SA captain is in hero late 30s and have been captain for more than 10 years.
Or that the author is making a judgment based on the color of the player.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

While true that WE face unique challenges, its TIME for US to step up and TAKE it..... No one will hand over anything to anyone anymore based on injustice of the past. The loudest critics of affirmative actions in the US today are ASIANS. We need to stop seeing RACISM in everything
Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

I live in SA and follow the Banyana Banyana team and Janine van Wyk is the deserved captain of the team, everything else is just looking for trouble when there isnt one. Just like there is a black Captain of the South African mostly white team...keeping it moving ->
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

I thought someone who has been on the team since 2005 that is freaking 14 years, is more than qualified to be the captain of the team whether white or black. In fact she looks like the mum of all the other players. Let us keep bigotry away from the RSA team.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

txj wrote:We should not be condoning racism on CE. In either direction.

This thread is racist.
You call it condoning racism, I call it criticizing injustice. Why must an overwhelmingly black group be led by a white person :?: :!:

Here’s an anecdote. I asked for help on a project I was leading at work. The project group was pretty diverse. Anyway, this young, White intern, a college junior at the time, was assigned to help out. Right from the get go, he was behaving as if he was in charge. Of course, I told him, as subtly as I could, where to get off. Thereafter, he got with the program :!:

Cheers.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

akamoke wrote:I live in SA and follow the Banyana Banyana team and Janine van Wyk is the deserved captain of the team, everything else is just looking for trouble when there isnt one. Just like there is a black Captain of the South African mostly white team...keeping it moving ->
since you live in sa why are there no white football players in the team but one
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."