Omeruo has really improved

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Omeruo has really improved

Post by danfo driver »

john12 wrote:Bros, so you’re saying that Godwin 2007 performance for Strasbourg was better than omeruo ANC 2013 performance? I highly disagree with that
You didn't watch Okpara in that season. So, I am not in a position to have this discussion with you.

And if you are going to compare a full season of European football, including UEFA Cup to 4 games(?), then how can we, in good conscience, have a conversation?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Dammy wrote:
john12 wrote:Bros, so you’re saying that Godwin 2007 performance for Strasbourg was better than omeruo ANC 2013 performance? I highly disagree with that
Godwin Okpara's form for Strasbourg in 1997 was world class and better than Omeruo in ANC 2013.
Okpara was one of the very few defenders to pocket a rampaging Ronaldo (original version) that year in the UEFA cup, a performance that led to the world noticing him and securing a move to PSG.
That was one of the best performances I have ever seen from a defender in that first leg. :clap: :clap: he was unbelievable! Ronaldo eye clear that night! Second leg, Ronaldo show am pepper sha! :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

bret- hart wrote:
Dammy wrote:
Godwin Okpara's form for Strasbourg in 1997 was world class and better than Omeruo in ANC 2013.
Okpara was one of the very few defenders to pocket a rampaging Ronaldo (original version) that year in the UEFA cup, a performance that led to the world noticing him and securing a move to PSG.

I feel alot of those 90s guys are overrated. I mean that SEs defence leaked goals like crazy back then.
The conversation is not about whether the 90s guys were overrated or whether the SE had a poor defense (as a group). The conversation here is whether Omeruo is world class and it is not just ridiculous, but laughable for anyone to even put him in that category.

Someone then asked me to define world-class. I chose to use an example of a full season performance by a Nigerian (whom, personally, I say did not even reach world class levels) to show that Omeruo has never played, in his entire career, at the level of that performance by that Nigerian. One can argue that Omeruo is better than Okpara (I disagree), or that Okpara is useless, or that Omeruo is a chief in his village! What one cannot argue is that Omeruo has never played to the level Okpara played that season. I dont know if I am not making sense, because John12 keeps leaving the realm of our argument to discuss other irrelevancies. The simple one line point is: "Omeruo has never played at the level Okpara played in that 1997 season." This is indisputable!
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

There is no 'world class' defender currently in the SE, nor is Omeruo the best defender in the SE.
Now, go figure!
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

I hope Omuero lives up to his potential to be world class.

He is still young for a defender but he must show consistency and drive to get to the top.

That is his call to make.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

World class that got caught vs Messi...worldclass vs Zimbabwe...or. world class moving from one club via loan season after season... :rotf: this just shows tobi is one clueless football watcher
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

cchinukw wrote:I hope Omuero lives up to his potential to be world class.

He is still young for a defender but he must show consistency and drive to get to the top.

He's turning 26 in four months, he isn't that young anymore.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

ANC wrote:Omeruo has always been world class IMHO
Lol. my brother slow your roll abeg.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

green4life wrote:

Tomorrow you would come here and curse at Rohr for playing down teams expectations.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

ANC wrote:
green4life wrote:

Tomorrow you would come here and curse at Rohr for playing down teams expectations.
One has nothing to do with the other. Since when did we need a world class defender to win the ANC? It helps, but defending is first and foremost, teamwork and positional discipline. Abi VVD and DeLight no full ground yesterday when someone not named Ronaldo scored to lift the UEFA Nations trophy? On the flip side, how many Portuguese defenders are better than the dutch? how many proper shots did the Portuguese goalie have to save?
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

danfo driver wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Omeruo has NEVER been world class. We haven't had a world class CB since Taribo West.
What does world class mean? is it playing in london live on BBC getting props from Gary lineker ?
Has Omeruo ever performed at the level of Sergio Ramos, Gerard Pique, Bonucci, Chiellini, Thiago Silva, Godin, Vincent Kompany, Alaba, Koulibaly?

Or the level of Lahm, Vidic, Ferdinand, Terry, Carvalho, Cannavaro, Maldini, Puyol, Cafu, Beckenbauer, Matthaus, Nesta, Baresi, Taribo, Keshi, Chukwu?
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Im a big Omeruo fan but you killed it.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

kalani JR wrote:

Nigeria's 26 o
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

green4life wrote:
Slow ke? STOP your roll. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

kalani JR wrote:

That's still young for a DEFENDER.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

He is not WC...not even slightly close, Kongi, as always is getting ahead of himself. But for the SE, the guy will always be a legend. Tbh all the guys that won the AFCOn in 2013...Ideye, Emenike, Oboabana, Onazi, VM, etc are legends...but not one of them is/was WC!

To be honest, apart from Enyeanma and maybe Mikel, none of them is even top SE first team.
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Omeruo is not a world class defender. The goal messi scored against him at the World Cup was testament to what I see as his poor positional awareness which messi made a meal of.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

kali wrote:Omeruo is not a world class defender. The goal messi scored against him at the World Cup was testament to what I see as his poor positional awareness which messi made a meal of.
Haba! That Messi goal was a Messique type goal. He made two moves in one fluid motion. The only way Omeruo could have defended that was if he was 6 inches taller.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

You know how many defenders Messi has made foolish?? If you do, then no defender is World class
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Una Sabi derail discussion day. Kai!
Back to the original point of the post: bobo has improved O!
Not just Zim game, all season. Before na just speed him dey use. Now him don add positioning sense.
Very promising. E go hard for Oyinbo wall now O! Bobo don split dem.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

waka-man wrote:Una Sabi derail discussion day. Kai!
Not just Zim game, all season. Before na just speed him dey use. Now him don add positioning sense.
But is he WC? Is he Baresi, Sergio Ramos, Van Dyik, Taribo West, Furo Iyenemi etc? :D
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

maceo4 wrote:
But is he WC? Is he Baresi, Sergio Ramos, Van Dyik, Taribo West, Furo Iyenemi etc? :D
The short answer is no. The long answer is the term is meaningless.
Right now, he might be Nigeria’s best defender. For the purposes of this forum, that’s all that matters.
Keep this up and he’ll rank up there with Yobo and Nwanu. He has some way to go to get to Chukwu, Keshi, Okechukwu and West.
As for Okpara: he had one good season. But he’s a sex pest anyway. I’d rather forget he ever represented my country.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

waka-man wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
The short answer is no. The long answer is the term is meaningless.
Right now, he might be Nigeria’s best defender. For the purposes of this forum, that’s all that matters.
Keep this up and he’ll rank up there with Yobo and Nwanu. He has some way to go to get to Chukwu, Keshi, Okechukwu and West.
As for Okpara: he had one good season. But he’s a sex pest anyway. I’d rather forget he ever represented my country.
Sir, you are older than me and should know more about history than I do. This is false. He won the Ebony Shoe at Eendracht Aalst for a reason. At Strasbourg, he was there for 3 years. One could say he had one outrageously fantastic season at Strasbourg and 2 very good ones, which led to PSG signing him.

Anyway, you are right. This thread is not about Okpara. i just didn't want your false statement to remain unchallenged. That is how lies become truth.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Cellular wrote:
kali wrote:Omeruo is not a world class defender. The goal messi scored against him at the World Cup was testament to what I see as his poor positional awareness which messi made a meal of.
Haba! That Messi goal was a Messique type goal. He made two moves in one fluid motion. The only way Omeruo could have defended that was if he was 6 inches taller.
With Kali on this one. It's not a goal he should have allowed Messi to score. Dispossessing him would have been hard, but troubling him enough to make sure that ball wasn't on target was necessary. He just didn't. It was a sweet goal, but I disagree that it was unavoidable.

Our 3 CDs just get K-Leg. The most technically gifted is Balogun. But he's too slow. Troost is fast, but raw, and I still think prone to the occasional blood rush to the brain. Also, not very technically gifted. Omeruo has just gone downhill since 2013 - a period where he should have gone "up" (haven't seen him this season, but I'm hopeful you guys are right that he's improved).
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet