Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:46 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Posts: 13132
john12 wrote:
Bros, so you’re saying that Godwin 2007 performance for Strasbourg was better than omeruo ANC 2013 performance? I highly disagree with that


You didn't watch Okpara in that season. So, I am not in a position to have this discussion with you.

And if you are going to compare a full season of European football, including UEFA Cup to 4 games(?), then how can we, in good conscience, have a conversation?

_________________
metalalloy wrote:
Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Posts: 13132
Dammy wrote:
john12 wrote:
Bros, so you’re saying that Godwin 2007 performance for Strasbourg was better than omeruo ANC 2013 performance? I highly disagree with that

Godwin Okpara's form for Strasbourg in 1997 was world class and better than Omeruo in ANC 2013.
Okpara was one of the very few defenders to pocket a rampaging Ronaldo (original version) that year in the UEFA cup, a performance that led to the world noticing him and securing a move to PSG.


That was one of the best performances I have ever seen from a defender in that first leg. :clap: :clap: he was unbelievable! Ronaldo eye clear that night! Second leg, Ronaldo show am pepper sha! :lol: :lol:

_________________
metalalloy wrote:
Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Posts: 13132
bret- hart wrote:
Dammy wrote:
john12 wrote:
Bros, so you’re saying that Godwin 2007 performance for Strasbourg was better than omeruo ANC 2013 performance? I highly disagree with that

Godwin Okpara's form for Strasbourg in 1997 was world class and better than Omeruo in ANC 2013.
Okpara was one of the very few defenders to pocket a rampaging Ronaldo (original version) that year in the UEFA cup, a performance that led to the world noticing him and securing a move to PSG.



I feel alot of those 90s guys are overrated. I mean that SEs defence leaked goals like crazy back then.


The conversation is not about whether the 90s guys were overrated or whether the SE had a poor defense (as a group). The conversation here is whether Omeruo is world class and it is not just ridiculous, but laughable for anyone to even put him in that category.

Someone then asked me to define world-class. I chose to use an example of a full season performance by a Nigerian (whom, personally, I say did not even reach world class levels) to show that Omeruo has never played, in his entire career, at the level of that performance by that Nigerian. One can argue that Omeruo is better than Okpara (I disagree), or that Okpara is useless, or that Omeruo is a chief in his village! What one cannot argue is that Omeruo has never played to the level Okpara played that season. I dont know if I am not making sense, because John12 keeps leaving the realm of our argument to discuss other irrelevancies. The simple one line point is: "Omeruo has never played at the level Okpara played in that 1997 season." This is indisputable!

_________________
metalalloy wrote:
Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:16 am
Posts: 3761
Location: Cut-N-Shoot, TX
There is no 'world class' defender currently in the SE, nor is Omeruo the best defender in the SE.
Now, go figure!

_________________
Though religion is a concept that simply can not be ignored. The fact that a deity could
stand idly by while one of his creations slaughters another simply in his name, is a mystery I
doubt theologists would dare touch.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:20 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:27 pm
Posts: 31975
Location: Displaced Naija. Don't bother
I hope Omuero lives up to his potential to be world class.

He is still young for a defender but he must show consistency and drive to get to the top.

That is his call to make.

_________________
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

The glory has departed from Arsenal. :(

Zlatan doesn't score lucky goals, goals are lucky to be scored by Zlatan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Posts: 82155
Location: Earth
World class that got caught vs Messi...worldclass vs Zimbabwe...or. world class moving from one club via loan season after season... :rotf: this just shows tobi is one clueless football watcher

_________________
SuperEagles

[img]I%20big%20pokey%20deleted%20that%20crap[/img]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:18 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:06 am
Posts: 4644
cchinukw wrote:
I hope Omuero lives up to his potential to be world class.

He is still young for a defender but he must show consistency and drive to get to the top.

That is his call to make.


He's turning 26 in four months, he isn't that young anymore.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:49 pm
Posts: 42194
Location: Pennsylvania
ANC wrote:
Omeruo has always been world class IMHO


Lol. my brother slow your roll abeg.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:21 pm
Posts: 10595
green4life wrote:
ANC wrote:
Omeruo has always been world class IMHO


Lol. my brother slow your roll abeg.



Tomorrow you would come here and curse at Rohr for playing down teams expectations.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:49 pm
Posts: 42194
Location: Pennsylvania
ANC wrote:
green4life wrote:
ANC wrote:
Omeruo has always been world class IMHO


Lol. my brother slow your roll abeg.



Tomorrow you would come here and curse at Rohr for playing down teams expectations.


One has nothing to do with the other. Since when did we need a world class defender to win the ANC? It helps, but defending is first and foremost, teamwork and positional discipline. Abi VVD and DeLight no full ground yesterday when someone not named Ronaldo scored to lift the UEFA Nations trophy? On the flip side, how many Portuguese defenders are better than the dutch? how many proper shots did the Portuguese goalie have to save?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:35 pm
Posts: 2137
danfo driver wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
ANC wrote:
Omeruo has always been world class IMHO


Omeruo has NEVER been world class. We haven't had a world class CB since Taribo West.


What does world class mean? is it playing in london live on BBC getting props from Gary lineker ?


Has Omeruo ever performed at the level of Sergio Ramos, Gerard Pique, Bonucci, Chiellini, Thiago Silva, Godin, Vincent Kompany, Alaba, Koulibaly?

Or the level of Lahm, Vidic, Ferdinand, Terry, Carvalho, Cannavaro, Maldini, Puyol, Cafu, Beckenbauer, Matthaus, Nesta, Baresi, Taribo, Keshi, Chukwu?


:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Im a big Omeruo fan but you killed it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:35 pm
Posts: 2137
kalani JR wrote:
cchinukw wrote:
I hope Omuero lives up to his potential to be world class.

He is still young for a defender but he must show consistency and drive to get to the top.

That is his call to make.


He's turning 26 in four months, he isn't that young anymore.


Nigeria's 26 o


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Posts: 13132
green4life wrote:
ANC wrote:
Omeruo has always been world class IMHO


Lol. my brother slow your roll abeg.


Slow ke? STOP your roll. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

_________________
metalalloy wrote:
Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:28 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:27 pm
Posts: 31975
Location: Displaced Naija. Don't bother
kalani JR wrote:
cchinukw wrote:
I hope Omuero lives up to his potential to be world class.

He is still young for a defender but he must show consistency and drive to get to the top.

That is his call to make.


He's turning 26 in four months, he isn't that young anymore.

That's still young for a DEFENDER.

_________________
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

The glory has departed from Arsenal. :(

Zlatan doesn't score lucky goals, goals are lucky to be scored by Zlatan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:45 pm
Posts: 31758
Location: Your worst Nightmare
He is not WC...not even slightly close, Kongi, as always is getting ahead of himself. But for the SE, the guy will always be a legend. Tbh all the guys that won the AFCOn in 2013...Ideye, Emenike, Oboabana, Onazi, VM, etc are legends...but not one of them is/was WC!

To be honest, apart from Enyeanma and maybe Mikel, none of them is even top SE first team.

_________________
Nigerian T-shirts online!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 10:44 am
Posts: 1783
Omeruo is not a world class defender. The goal messi scored against him at the World Cup was testament to what I see as his poor positional awareness which messi made a meal of.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:37 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:59 pm
Posts: 46982
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
kali wrote:
Omeruo is not a world class defender. The goal messi scored against him at the World Cup was testament to what I see as his poor positional awareness which messi made a meal of.


Haba! That Messi goal was a Messique type goal. He made two moves in one fluid motion. The only way Omeruo could have defended that was if he was 6 inches taller.

_________________
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:42 am 
Online

Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:34 pm
Posts: 2905
You know how many defenders Messi has made foolish?? If you do, then no defender is World class


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:49 pm
Posts: 3507
Una Sabi derail discussion day. Kai!
Back to the original point of the post: bobo has improved O!
Not just Zim game, all season. Before na just speed him dey use. Now him don add positioning sense.
Very promising. E go hard for Oyinbo wall now O! Bobo don split dem.

_________________
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:41 am
Posts: 38644
Location: Land of the Terrapins
waka-man wrote:
Una Sabi derail discussion day. Kai!
Back to the original point of the post: bobo has improved O!
Not just Zim game, all season. Before na just speed him dey use. Now him don add positioning sense.
Very promising. E go hard for Oyinbo wall now O! Bobo don split dem.


But is he WC? Is he Baresi, Sergio Ramos, Van Dyik, Taribo West, Furo Iyenemi etc? :D

_________________
Super Eagus 4 Life!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:49 pm
Posts: 3507
maceo4 wrote:
waka-man wrote:
Una Sabi derail discussion day. Kai!
Back to the original point of the post: bobo has improved O!
Not just Zim game, all season. Before na just speed him dey use. Now him don add positioning sense.
Very promising. E go hard for Oyinbo wall now O! Bobo don split dem.


But is he WC? Is he Baresi, Sergio Ramos, Van Dyik, Taribo West, Furo Iyenemi etc? :D


The short answer is no. The long answer is the term is meaningless.
Right now, he might be Nigeria’s best defender. For the purposes of this forum, that’s all that matters.
Keep this up and he’ll rank up there with Yobo and Nwanu. He has some way to go to get to Chukwu, Keshi, Okechukwu and West.
As for Okpara: he had one good season. But he’s a sex pest anyway. I’d rather forget he ever represented my country.

_________________
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Posts: 13132
waka-man wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
waka-man wrote:
Una Sabi derail discussion day. Kai!
Back to the original point of the post: bobo has improved O!
Not just Zim game, all season. Before na just speed him dey use. Now him don add positioning sense.
Very promising. E go hard for Oyinbo wall now O! Bobo don split dem.


But is he WC? Is he Baresi, Sergio Ramos, Van Dyik, Taribo West, Furo Iyenemi etc? :D


The short answer is no. The long answer is the term is meaningless.
Right now, he might be Nigeria’s best defender. For the purposes of this forum, that’s all that matters.
Keep this up and he’ll rank up there with Yobo and Nwanu. He has some way to go to get to Chukwu, Keshi, Okechukwu and West.
As for Okpara: he had one good season. But he’s a sex pest anyway. I’d rather forget he ever represented my country.


Sir, you are older than me and should know more about history than I do. This is false. He won the Ebony Shoe at Eendracht Aalst for a reason. At Strasbourg, he was there for 3 years. One could say he had one outrageously fantastic season at Strasbourg and 2 very good ones, which led to PSG signing him.

Anyway, you are right. This thread is not about Okpara. i just didn't want your false statement to remain unchallenged. That is how lies become truth.

_________________
metalalloy wrote:
Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:14 pm
Posts: 13251
Location: USA
Cellular wrote:
kali wrote:
Omeruo is not a world class defender. The goal messi scored against him at the World Cup was testament to what I see as his poor positional awareness which messi made a meal of.


Haba! That Messi goal was a Messique type goal. He made two moves in one fluid motion. The only way Omeruo could have defended that was if he was 6 inches taller.


With Kali on this one. It's not a goal he should have allowed Messi to score. Dispossessing him would have been hard, but troubling him enough to make sure that ball wasn't on target was necessary. He just didn't. It was a sweet goal, but I disagree that it was unavoidable.

Our 3 CDs just get K-Leg. The most technically gifted is Balogun. But he's too slow. Troost is fast, but raw, and I still think prone to the occasional blood rush to the brain. Also, not very technically gifted. Omeruo has just gone downhill since 2013 - a period where he should have gone "up" (haven't seen him this season, but I'm hopeful you guys are right that he's improved).

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], john12, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 27 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group