AFCON: Slim Chance SE Players setting new Nigerian Records

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
AFCON: Slim Chance SE Players setting new Nigerian Records

Post by Enugu II »

In this blog piece I have collated Nigeria's records at the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON). What is clear is that some of those records would have been more impressive if maximum dictator Sani Abacha had not withdrawn the team from the 1996 tournament and also caused Nigeria's absence in 1998 due to suspension. But also the team's failure to qualify for the 2012, 2015, and 2017 tournaments cost players like Vincent Enyeama and Mikel Obi some individual records as well.
There are still some records that new players can erase. For instance, the most goals scored by a Nigerian player in a game is a brace on multiple occasions. Most assists in a game is just two from Nwankwo Kanu back in 2006. Most goals in a tournament by an individual is four accomplished two times by Rashidi Yekini and once by Augustine Okocha.
Details, including records, found by clicking link below:
https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2019/06/ ... afcon.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: AFCON: Slim Chance SE Players setting new Nigerian Recor

Post by aruako1 »

Enugu II wrote:
In this blog piece I have collated Nigeria's records at the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON). What is clear is that some of those records would have been more impressive if maximum dictator Sani Abacha had not withdrawn the team from the 1996 tournament and also caused Nigeria's absence in 1998 due to suspension. But also the team's failure to qualify for the 2012, 2015, and 2017 tournaments cost players like Vincent Enyeama and Mikel Obi some individual records as well.
There are still some records that new players can erase. For instance, the most goals scored by a Nigerian player in a game is a brace on multiple occasions. Most assists in a game is just two from Nwankwo Kanu back in 2006. Most goals in a tournament by an individual is four accomplished two times by Rashidi Yekini and once by Augustine Okocha.
Yekini scored 5 in AFCON 1994
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Didn't Emenike win golden boot in 2013 for scoring 4 goals in the tourney?

https://www.futaa.com/ug/article/49588/ ... boot-award
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

maceo4 wrote:Didn't Emenike win golden boot in 2013 for scoring 4 goals in the tourney?

https://www.futaa.com/ug/article/49588/ ... boot-award

Yes, he did score four goals plus an assist in five games in that tournament.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Maceo4,

Thanks. I just realized why you posted the Emenike stat. I have added him to the list of those who have scored four in an AFCON. Thanks for pointing out that error.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Enugu II wrote:Maceo4,

Thanks. I just realized why you posted the Emenike stat. I have added him to the list of those who have scored four in an AFCON. Thanks for pointing out that error.
Yekini scored five in 1994.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Enjoy Nigeria vs Gabon (3-0) 1994 with Yekini's brace and Mutiu Adepoju brilliant goal. Sunday Oliseh! What a player! Chai!!! :clap:

[/video]

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Yekini with another brace. First goal na helele.
Nigeria vs Zaire (2-0)

[/video]

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Nigeria 6(2-2)4 Ivory Coast AET

[/video]

pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

YemiBrazil wrote:Yekini with another brace. First goal na helele.
Nigeria vs Zaire (2-0)

[/video]
94 was a sweet year
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

YemiBrazil wrote:

YemiBrazil,

Yoking had four and not five goals. I believe that you have counted a goal scored during the penalty shootout. If that is the fifth goal then it does not count. Those penalty shoot scores are simply tie breakers and do not count. Remember that the official results of such a game is a draw. Nigeria simply moved on via a tie breaker.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Enugu II wrote:
That's wrong! Kanu actually had 3 assists in one game. Go rewatch the game against Tunisia at afcon 2000. The game ended 4 : 2 in favour of Nigeria

eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

Enugu II wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:

YemiBrazil,

Yoking had four and not five goals. I believe that you have counted a goal scored during the penalty shootout. If that is the fifth goal then it does not count. Those penalty shoot scores are simply tie breakers and do not count. Remember that the official results of such a game is a draw. Nigeria simply moved on via a tie breaker.

5 goals. Tie breaker makes it 6. Yemibrezia, I believe, even posted the videos for you.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Yekini scored 5 in 94 and 4 in 92.
In 94 he scored 2 against Gabun, 2 against Zaire and 1 against Ivory coast.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

gochino wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
That's wrong! Kanu actually had 3 assists in one game. Go rewatch the game against Tunisia at afcon 2000. The game ended 4 : 2 in favour of Nigeria

Gochino

If you read the note accompanying the record it points out that the data with assists only goes from 2006 to date. Unfortunately, it fails to include data before then including several assists by Oliseh as well in 1994 one is presently unable to vouch for them 100%. I will add an asterisk to attract attention to the note.
Last edited by Enugu II on Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

eyan wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:

YemiBrazil,

5 goals. Tie breaker makes it 6. Yemibrezia, I believe, even posted the videos for you.
Eyan

Okay. I see that now. I also see the text on his goals and five is correct. I earlier thought he was getting five from the tie breaker. I will correct the blog.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Enugu II wrote:
eyan wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:

YemiBrazil,

Eyan

Okay. I see that now. I also see the text on his goals and five is correct. I earlier thought he was getting five from the tie breaker. I will correct the blog.
:thumb: :thumb:

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

YemiBrazil wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
eyan wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:

YemiBrazil,

Eyan

:thumb: :thumb:
YemiBrazil,

Thanks for pointing out the error.