Breaking News: Mikel's last AFCON?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Breaking News: Mikel's last AFCON?

Post by Robbynice »

Bigpokey24 wrote:general captain :lol: :lol: :lol: asamoah gyan
Abi na... :rotf:
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

maceo4 wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:Ok,let's make a good send off then,I have a feeling this team can perform better than the class of 2013 (not saying they'll do better but 100% hoping),Mikel has the experience of a Captain and he's also very easy to listen to as he doesn't come across annoying!
Nah, they don't have an Emenike type bruising forward that can handle the African game. I just hope they don't wound our fragile forwards, and Ighalo can actually find the net when presented with scoring opportunities.
Those so called fragile forwards are fast and nippy let them try in the area with VAR (yes it’s coming to Africa this year!)
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:Ok,let's make a good send off then,I have a feeling this team can perform better than the class of 2013 (not saying they'll do better but 100% hoping),Mikel has the experience of a Captain and he's also very easy to listen to as he doesn't come across annoying!
Nah, they don't have an Emenike type bruising forward that can handle the African game. I just hope they don't wound our fragile forwards, and Ighalo can actually find the net when presented with scoring opportunities.
Those so called fragile forwards are fast and nippy let them try in the area with VAR (yes it’s coming to Africa this year!)
VAR will not be used from the quarterfinals on...

https://news.cgtn.com/news/3d3d414e306b ... index.html
Last edited by maceo4 on Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

jette1 wrote:Last AFCON but not last World Cup
If it's his last AFCON then 2018 should be his last WC
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

maceo4 wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
VAR will not be used from the quarterfinals on...

https://news.cgtn.com/news/3d3d414e306b ... index.html
:rotf: Africa always cutting those corners!
But Anyway those teams that rely on heavy tackles and wrestling will freeze (at the QF stage :rotf:) after giving away a penalty or two and we’ll see how that works!
It’s going to be used from the quarter finals onwards!
Last edited by Eaglezbeak on Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

You don’t need a bruising forward. The North Africans don’t and they seem to score lots. :)
obaGol
Egg
Egg

Post by obaGol »

Wow....a clubless has-been? That's who you want to take to another WC?
Pretty desperate. Shouldn't even be in the ANC squad in the first place.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Robbynice wrote:I don't mind Mikel staying for another WC as a squad player and the general captain of the team if you know what I mean.
My brother, whomever the captain of the team is must be on the field. I remember how our "general captain" Kanu was a bit part player on the ill-fated 2010 world cup. The captain must be an established member of the first 11 for greater efficiency and result

The on field captain must have greatest autonomy and not have an insecurity of having to defer to a "sitting captain"
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

akamoke wrote:
Robbynice wrote:I don't mind Mikel staying for another WC as a squad player and the general captain of the team if you know what I mean.
My brother, whomever the captain of the team is must be on the field. I remember how our "general captain" Kanu was a bit part player on the ill-fated 2010 world cup. The captain must be an established member of the first 11 for greater efficiency and result

The on field captain must have greatest autonomy and not have an insecurity of having to defer to a "sitting captain"
Story
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Mikel has tried o! He's one of only three survivors from 2006 ANC, and he might still play one more, thats crazy!

https://www.cafonline.com/total-africa- ... egypt-2006

Kameni, Mputu and Obi Mikel; “The Survivors” from Egypt 2006

Thirteen (13) years after hosting the 2006 Africa Cup of Nations, Egypt is once again the theater where “La crème de la crème” of African football gather to show their talents to the world. The Pharaohs were crowned champions for the fifth time then, and they went on to add two more trophies afterwards.

With the 2019 Total Africa Cup of Nations squad lists unveiled, only three (3) players survived from the 2006 squads. They will return to Egypt once again this summer after reserving their place with their respective national teams for a full 13 years since the continental football showpiece was last held in the land of the Pharaohs.

Carlos Kameni (Cameroon), Tresor Mputu (DR Congo), and John Obi Mikel (Nigeria) were there thirteen years ago in Egypt and had different fortunes then. Kameni’s Cameroon and Mputu’s DR Congo crashed at the quarter finals, while Obi Mikel’s Nigeria finished the tournament in third place, behind champions Egypt and runner ups Cote d’Ivoire.

Kameni
(35 now) was then in the ranks of Spanish La Liga side Espanyol. He later played for Malaga before joining Turkey based Fenerbahce in 2017. He last appeared in the Africa Cup of Nations in 2010, missing Cameroon’s fifth glorious campaign two years ago in Gabon.

Tresor Mputu
Mputu
(33) is still donning local giants TP Mazembe’s shirt as he was 13 years ago. He had a two years spell in Angola’s Kabuscorp (2014 – 2016) before returning to “Les Corbeaux”. He’s making a return to “The Leopards” in the continental showpiece after missing the past two AFCON edition, his last appearance being in 2013.

Obi Mikel
(32) was a part of English giants Chelsea squad in 2006. He joined China based Tianjin Teda in 2017 before returning to England with second tier Middlesbrough last January. Obi Mikel lifted the cup with the Super Eagles in their last AFCON appearance in 2013.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!