Rohr's midfield trio

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Rohr's midfield trio

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Etebo, Mikel and Ndidi
I am willing to bet 50.00 this is how ROhr will play come next saturday....
Last edited by Bigpokey24 on Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Rohr's midfield trio

Post by ohenhen1 »

No creative midfielder against Burundi? I doubt that Nigeria will want to get a low scoreline.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Very good midfield, but too defensive...
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Tobi17 wrote:Very good midfield, but too defensive...

whats the alternative?
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Iwobi is our AM and he is the only one in the squad.

Rohr missed the boat by not capping Eberechi Eze

He also failed to look to the likes of Ovie Ejaria or Sly Igboun, or that guy in Spain second division.

Instead he kept calling up John Ogu, Mikel Agu, and he kept calling up 12 strikers and 3 midfielders.

So we are stuck with Iwobi. We need to give him time and let him settle into the postition.

Thinking Etebo will solve the problem is just asinine.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Iwobi is our AM and he is the only one in the squad.

He also failed to look to the likes of Ovie Ejaria or Sly Igboun, or that guy in Spain second division.

Instead he kept calling up John Ogu, Mikel Agu, and he kept calling up 12 strikers and 3 midfielders.

So we are stuck with Iwobi. We need to give him time and let him settle into the postition.

The 3 will be Mikel, Ndidi, and Iwobi. It is settled and it wont change barring injury or suspension.
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

vancity eagle wrote:Iwobi is our AM and he is the only one in the squad.

Iwobi loses possession easily, etebo can play that role he did it in the u23s
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

vancity eagle wrote:Iwobi is our AM and he is the only one in the squad.

The 3 will be Mikel, Ndidi, and Iwobi. It is settled and it wont change barring injury or suspension.
Baring Injury it’s horses for courses. Iwobi starts against teams that will pack the bus while etebo starts against tougher midfields.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Etebo over Iwobi.....Iwobi is our super sub.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Iwobi is not the only AM. Mikel does play AM .How quickly has that been forgotte5?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Enugu II wrote:Iwobi is not the only AM. Mikel does play AM .How quickly has that been forgotte5?
Mikel's performances at AM have rightly been forgotten.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Enugu II wrote:Iwobi is not the only AM. Mikel does play AM .How quickly has that been forgotte5?
Mikel's performances at AM have rightly been forgotten.
IKR. Even Mikel himself has forgotten.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Kelechi is the player we thought by now would be SE regular but the boy has been MIA for months. He's the best suited for that position with his passing,shooting and dribbling skills.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Kelechi is the player we thought by now would be SE regular but the boy has been MIA for months. He's the best suited for that position with his passing,shooting and dribbling skills.
Where you see that one?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Mikel is not effective in an advanced role. He is more effective playing deeper. Etebo is not very good in creating chances for the other players. Iwobi is the best option at this time.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Iwobi is the answer fellas. Make una leave tori.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Iwobi should be played as a striker since his defensive work is poor. I wouldn't play mikel except off the bench. His game is too slow. I would opt for A 442 with ndidi and etebo in the middle and chukwueze and Simon out wide rather than 352 and a slow build up play. The two strikers for me are Iwobi and Musa.
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Kelechi is the player we thought by now would be SE regular but the boy has been MIA for months. He's the best suited for that position with his passing,shooting and dribbling skills.
Ur brain needs 5 G, where did you get this one from?kelechi attacking midfielder?
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

That's my fear too. At the WC, Mikel-Etebo-Ndidi just did not work. They worked hard and tirelessly, but offensively, ZERO. Maybe against African opposition, it may be easier, but I really doubt it. I understand that Iwobi isn't a 10, but he has to be better than playing a blunt midfield.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

deanotito wrote:That's my fear too. At the WC, Mikel-Etebo-Ndidi just did not work. They worked hard and tirelessly, but offensively, ZERO. Maybe against African opposition, it may be easier, but I really doubt it. I understand that Iwobi isn't a 10, but he has to be better than playing a blunt midfield.
I disagree. In every game in that WC, we created enough big chances to win every game. Even against the very defensive Croatians, we created and had the chances. Could we have created more, maybe. But for this question, you have to question why Iwobi was not utilised more often.

Also, don't forget Onazi was also preferred. However, I see no issues with the above midfield trio, what we need is more from our Forwards. We need goals, creativity and most importantly, work rate with defensive contribution. Defending starts from the front, and our forwards must be willing to do their share of defensive work. They are a major problem in this team defensively.

A lot of talk here has been mainly focused on our attack when the real Achilles heel of this SE is the defence. I have studied our team and every game I pull my hair out at our defending as a team without the ball.

We have dodgy goalkeepers, but watch our players defence of the set piece. Watch our players let opponents run off them, watch how open we are when we should be compact. Sometimes I cannot make out what the defensive shape is. Do we defend with a 5 or 6, whilst attacking with 4 or 5? Do we set up in a 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 when we are be behind the ball. Do we push up, looking to press, or do we drop deep, inviting the opposition to break us down.

If we defend with a 4-4-2, do we close up the middle inviting our opponents to go wide, thus setting a trap for us to go via the middle, (the shortest route) in transition during the counter attack. If we defend with a 4-5-1, do we put our forwards wide to prevent their forwards and FBs doubling up. I am really struggling to see any sort of consistent pattern or clear defensive strategy.

The key for us in this AFCON will depend on getting our defence right. If we have built a solid defensive foundation, then we can have a good attack built on the foundations provided by the defense.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Yuo were right o.

:bump:

https://owngoalnigeria.com/2019/06/20/s ... rundi-tie/

Super Eagles Training – Etebo Could Push Iwobi Out Of Starting XI For Burundi Tie

The position of Alex Iwobi as part of a midfield three alongside the duo of John Obi Mikel and Wilfred Ndidi is under threat after his failure to impress in the last friendly game against Senegal.

Iwobi was by far the less impressive among the trio who played in the middle for Nigeria in the 0-1 with Oghenekaro Etebo who replaced him in the same game coming close to scoring with a well struck freekick.

Etebo also put in a very good shift and since after the game he has played with the duo of Mikel and Ndidi in training with Iwobi playing for the other team or from the flanks where he has Samuel Chukwueze, Samuel Kalu and Ahmed Musa to contend with.

Coach Gernot Rohr appears to be leaning towards the same midfield trio he used at the 2018 World Cup in Russia as the promise showed by Iwobi in pairing with Mikel and Ndidi in the midfield didn’t translate to the game against Senegal.

In the 0-1 loss to Senegal, Iwobi struggled to shake off the robust approach of the AFCON 2019 favorites, something Etebo did with ease when he replaced the Arsenal midfielder in the second half and that might have earn him back his spot in the starting lineup.

Bigpokey24 wrote:Etebo, Mikel and Ndidi
I am willing to bet 50.00 this is how ROhr will play come next saturday....
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/8 ... 230392.jpg[/img]
http://aoifootball.com/wp-content/uploa ... 81x999.jpg[/img]
Ezesportsworld
Egg
Egg

Post by Ezesportsworld »

But Etebo is not a creative midfielder...he holds on the ball too long..
www.ezesportsworld.net

Chesapeake sports Academy
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Hope i’m Wrong but I don’t think Iwobi can not lay AM as well as people seem to believe he can. Even Arsenal rarely play him as a AM. It’s only Nigerians who seem to think he’s a playmaker.
OCCUPY NFF!!