Uncle Oloye -- Do Our Players Know?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Uncle Oloye -- Do Our Players Know?

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:It’s interesting that thus far nobody’s talked about the culpability of the Falcons defender. First she was caught out of position.

Second, having been so caught out, her focus should have been on the second ball, recognizing her disadvantage.

Third, being already on a YC, she was required to be more cautious, instead she was tackling without any real recognition of her status.
Haba! That was not how it happened.

The French player flicked the ball that gave the fouled player an advantage. That play was a bang-bang play. The referee didn't initially think it was a foul. The benefit of replay is what is making you and other "stop-playing-the-victim" natives attack the Naijarian player.
First, I'm not attacking the Falcon player; just pointing out an error in her play, which is symptomatic of a wider problem with our defending.

She started from a losing position because her original positioning/reading of the game was faulty.

Benefit of replay or not, she needed to concede that she was behind the play and focus instead on the second ball.

I'll leave the rest to you and the danfo-led kunta kinte singers...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

oloye wrote:To be honest with you, it becomes part of what motivates the players. You go unto the field knowing you are playing against 12. Yeah sometimes it can be demoralising, but you just go through it, like the black man has gone through much of history swimming against the tide with his head raised high regardless.

Well said bros. If you are black (man or woman), you are living through life with a default handicap, no matter your profession.
If you succeed in anything in this world as a black man, it is because you have truly earned it, not that it was given to you.

That was why for me there is no year sweeter than Atlanta 1996. We proved then we can rise above everything with our talent and determination. And I truly believe this young team has that same spirit in them as well.

Yesterday's Falcon team proved they had heart. Now they need to work even harder on developing their talent.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:It’s interesting that thus far nobody’s talked about the culpability of the Falcons defender. First she was caught out of position.

Second, having been so caught out, her focus should have been on the second ball, recognizing her disadvantage.

Third, being already on a YC, she was required to be more cautious, instead she was tackling without any real recognition of her status.

The French player flicked the ball that gave the fouled player an advantage. That play was a bang-bang play. The referee didn't initially think it was a foul. The benefit of replay is what is making you and other "stop-playing-the-victim" natives attack the Naijarian player.
First, I'm not attacking the Falcon player; just pointing out an error in her play, which is symptomatic of a wider problem with our defending.

She started from a losing position because her original positioning/reading of the game was faulty.

Benefit of replay or not, she needed to concede that she was behind the play and focus instead on the second ball.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But that was actually good defending based on her positioning and the ball coming at her with an attacker bearing down on goal.

We are having this discussion because of VAR.

Ps., stop picking on my band leader... :P
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

1) 1994 WC: Yekini clean through on goal with only the GK to beat and about to give Nigeria a 2-0 lead against 10 man Italy. However Maldini hauls him down with a WWE wrestling move. Ref bottles it and fails to red card Maldini because he does not want to send off the most famous defender in the world or reduce Italy to 9 men. Ref then gives Italy a late penalty from which they win the game.

2) 2014 WC:

*Giroud elbows Mikel in the face. Ref (American Mark Geiger) is standing 1-2 yards away and sees it. Instead of red carding Giroud, he wags his finger at him and does not even award a FK to Nigeria or give Giroud a yellow card!
search.php?keywords=%22machine+guns%22+ ... mit=Search

*Matuidi puts in an ankle breaker horror "tackle" on Onazi, that resembles a gangland hit more than a fair attempt to win the ball. Onazi is stretchered off and misses several months of playing time. The incident totally changes the game. The tackle was so horrific that Diego Maradona goes to a press conference with a still photo of Matuidi's studs stamping down on Onazi, and rails at FIFA for not punishing Matuidi for it. Moron ref Mark Geiger fails to red card Giroud.

Even the (normally biased) English fans commenting on the game in the Guardian mentioned that the referee seemed reluctant to punish France's awful fouling on Nigerian players. One fan said the referee would not book any French player even if they pulled out machine guns and started shooting Nigerian players.

3) 2018 WC:

*Rojo kicks Iheanacho in the face with a reckless high kick (inside the area) - penalty not given, Rojo not booked or red carded.

*Rojo handball v Nigeria - penalty not given even though the ref watches the handball on VAR (Rojo not booked or red carded).

*Mascherano is allowed to play entire 45 minutes of second half v Nigeria with blood streaming down his face (even though rules at all levels - even down to park amateur football, state that players must leave the pitch if they are bleeding).

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=288912&p=5256168&hi ... e#p5256168
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But that was actually good defending based on her positioning and the ball coming at her with an attacker bearing down on goal.

We are having this discussion because of VAR.

Ps., stop picking on my band leader... :P

Nothing about the sequence of events for the defending side recommends itself for adoption.

There were three Nigerian defenders vs 2 French attackers when the cross came in.

None of the Nigerian defenders was appropriately positioned. None!

Secondly, you can tell from their reactions that this was not team defending by any guise. How do I know that? None of them moved in a manner to support one another, each taking their own independent, and contradictory action..

Third, in her specific case, she did everything wrong. I mean every thing!

- she read the flight of the ball wrong, notwithstanding the deflection.
- never properly accounted for the french attacker besides her- note, not to her blind side, but BESIDES her!
- having conceded the advantage to the french attacker, she did the worst thing you could ever do in this situation- throw a tackle!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

I don't quite understand why some of us are blaming the officiating or VAR for the outcome of the game Monday night...

I didn't see any bias...

PK was correct...Retake of PK was correct...

Not retaking the PK due to encroachment was wrong...but encroachment during PK's are often over-looked, unless "blatantly obvious"...

What is the probability of a 2nd retake of the PK altering the 0-1 outcome to 0-0..? Less than 20%...it's still a PK afterall...
Arguing a 2nd retake of the PK for reason of encroachment could have altered the outcome is picking at straws...

Was the outcome of the tie really affected by VAR..?
Nope. France was the superior side. No question.

SFalcons?
Great performance. Best disciplined & matured performance by SFalcons at a WCup...
Even more laudable given: the hostile atmosphere... against a host nation...against a superior side...

There has been evidence of officiating bias against African sides (especially in the female game; where referees have a pre-conception of over-board physical game by African ladies... a notion often milked by opposing players & coaches...)

But bias on Monday? I'm not buying it.

SFalcons did us proud on Monday. Probably deserved a point for that gutsy performance. The final outcome was cruel.
However, we take it. We move on.

My tuppence.
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

green4life wrote:
Oguleftie wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:Can we get off this narrative. The calls today were based on the rules.

Even where the ref missed some calls, it happened on either side.

We should focus on our failures; and they were legion in spite of the improvements...
Txj,

While, I will agree that the referee today was fair, this issue cannot be understated. In fact, in a recent study using NCAA data art showed discriminatory calls against African American college basketball players. Racial issues occur in sports officiating. That has been found in several academic studies.
This is not American college game. No study needed.
You have no offense to amount to winning the game.
This is FIFA WWC June 2019, and the rules were followed.
PERIOD. PERIOD. PERIOD. PERIOD.

Do not show up 4 yrs from now if you will not follow whatever the rule is then.
Where were you last year? If there is a pattern, then it's relevant to the discourse with respect to selective implementation of VAR.
Do not read 2018 textbook. Read 2019 textbook.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Actually no. There is evidence that the retake call was wrong. FIFA law 14 on penalties states that:

1) If the attacking team encroaches into the area, and the penalty is not scored - an indirect FK should be given to the defending team.

2) If the GK steps off the line and the penalty is not scored, it must be retaken.

1 and 2 above happened simultaneously in the game. Yet for some unexplainable reason the officials only "remembered" one part of Law 14.

You also forget that the sequence of play that led up to the penalty started when the ref incorrectly gave a corner to France (instead of a goal kick to Nigeria). A call for which Ordega (who had ricocheted the ball off a French player out of play) protested in vain.

In the space of a couple of minutes: the ref incorrectly gave a corner to France, sent off a Nigerian player, booked another, awarded 2 penalties against Nigeria, and allowed France to score a retaken PK. I struggle to think of any other game in the history of football where a team has been penalised 6 times in one sequence of play.

FATHER TIKO wrote:I don't quite understand why some of us are blaming the officiating or VAR for the outcome of the game Monday night...

I didn't see any bias...

PK was correct...Retake of PK was correct...

Not retaking the PK due to encroachment was wrong...but encroachment during PK's are often over-looked, unless "blatantly obvious"...

What is the probability of a 2nd retake of the PK altering the 0-1 outcome to 0-0..? Less than 20%...it's still a PK afterall...
Arguing a 2nd retake of the PK for reason of encroachment could have altered the outcome is picking at straws...

Was the outcome of the tie really affected by VAR..?
Nope. France was the superior side. No question.

SFalcons?
Great performance. Best disciplined & matured performance by SFalcons at a WCup...
Even more laudable given: the hostile atmosphere... against a host nation...against a superior side...

There has been evidence of officiating bias against African sides (especially in the female game; where referees have a pre-conception of over-board physical game by African ladies... a notion often milked by opposing players & coaches...)

But bias on Monday? I'm not buying it.

SFalcons did us proud on Monday. Probably deserved a point for that gutsy performance. The final outcome was cruel.
However, we take it. We move on.

My tuppence.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

wiseone wrote:Actually no. There is evidence that the retake call was wrong. FIFA law 14 on penalties states that:

1) If the attacking team encroaches into the area, and the penalty is not scored - an indirect FK should be given to the defending team.

2) If the GK steps off the line and the penalty is not scored, it must be retaken.

1 and 2 above happened simultaneously in the game. Yet for some unexplainable reason the officials only "remembered" one part of Law 14.

You also forget that the sequence of play that led up to the penalty started when the ref incorrectly gave a corner to France (instead of a goal kick to Nigeria). A call for which Ordega (who had ricocheted the ball off a French player out of play) protested in vain.

In the space of a couple of minutes: the ref incorrectly gave a corner to France, sent off a Nigerian player, booked another, awarded 2 penalties against Nigeria, and allowed France to score a retaken PK. I struggle to think of any other game in the history of football where a team has been penalised 6 times in one sequence of play.
For the sake of argument, what does the law say about players of the PK-conceding team also encroaching..?
3 France players encroached; but Chikwelu(?) encroached also...

On the Ordega incident; there were several instances of goal-kicks wrongly awarded instead of corner-kicks during the game...
1st Half: France winger Cascarino bounced the ball off Ebere into touch, but instead of a corner, goal-kick was given to Nigeria...

We can nit-pick decisions all we like, but I reckon officiating 'bias' should be more clear-cut than apparent errors..
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I remember the wrong call in the FH where France should have had a corner and instead Nigeria got a goal kick. Here is the difference though: Nigeria did not then get 2 penalties from that sequence of play, nor was the French LB red carded as a result of it, nor was the French GK given a yellow card, nor did Nigeria score.

Did you see my post above cataloguing shambolic "refereering" decisions against Nigeria going back 25 years?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=295229&start=23#p5446811

Wrong actions - consequences.
FATHER TIKO wrote: On the Ordega incident; there were several instances of goal-kicks wrongly awarded instead of corner-kicks during the game...
1st Half: France winger Cascarino bounced the ball off Ebere into touch, but instead of a corner, goal-kick was given to Nigeria...

We can nit-pick decisions all we like, but I reckon officiating 'bias' should be more clear-cut than apparent errors..