Uncle Oloye -- Do Our Players Know?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Uncle Oloye -- Do Our Players Know?

Post by danfo driver »

Dean Oloye:

Please, abeg give us inside information. In camp, do our players know and talk about the cheating against African teams? And what is the usual feeling about it amongst players?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Uncle Oloye -- Do Our Players Know?

Post by oloye »

To be honest with you, it becomes part of what motivates the players. You go unto the field knowing you are playing against 12. Yeah sometimes it can be demoralising, but you just go through it, like the black man has gone through much of history swimming against the tide with his head raised high regardless.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

oloye wrote:To be honest with you, it becomes part of what motivates the players. You go unto the field knowing you are playing against 12. Yeah sometimes it can be demoralising, but you just go through it, like the black man has gone through much of history swimming against the tide with his head raised high regardless.
I can imagine!

I am one of those who is very hard on our players, but times Like this, one has to think. You can see how our players completely lost all will to compete after that sequence! People, including me, were shouting for them to hold their shape and fight back... but frankly, fight back for what?? I can imagine that their will to fight just vanished!

You train and train and work hard for 2 years, playing qualifiers. You give everything to get to this level and one person wakes up, eats breakfast and shows up to take your dream away from you with one decision. I can imagine how demoralizing that must be.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Can we get off this narrative. The calls today were based on the rules.

Even where the ref missed some calls, it happened on either side.

We should focus on our failures; and they were legion in spite of the improvements...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote:Can we get off this narrative. The calls today were based on the rules.

We should focus on our failures; and they were legion in spite of the improvements...
Txj,

While, I will agree that the referee today was fair, this issue cannot be understated. In fact, in a recent study using NCAA data art showed discriminatory calls against African American college basketball players. Racial issues occur in sports officiating. That has been found in several academic studies.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:Can we get off this narrative. The calls today were based on the rules.

Txj,

While, I will agree that the referee today was fair, this issue cannot be understated. In fact, in a recent study using NCAA data art showed discriminatory calls against African American college basketball players. Racial issues occur in sports officiating. That has been found in several academic studies.
This is not American college game. No study needed.
You have no offense to amount to winning the game.
This is FIFA WWC June 2019, and the rules were followed.
PERIOD. PERIOD. PERIOD. PERIOD.

Do not show up 4 yrs from now if you will not follow whatever the rule is then.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Oguleftie wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Txj,

Oguleftie, I will agree with you ONLY if you can tell the match officials to apply the RULES consistently on all teams.
Last edited by Odas on Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Oguleftie wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Txj,

Where were you last year? If there is a pattern, then it's relevant to the discourse with respect to selective implementation of VAR.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

So where in the rule says the ref should order our player to take a throw even when she wanted to leave it for someone else to do. We were losing so it cannot be said that we were wasting time.

Two players went down, the French girl got treated on the field Rita also went to the sideline to get treated, ref insisted Rita should stay out and wait to be called back in, meanwhile the French girl is allowed to continue straight on.

I have no problem with the penalty, I called a penalty even before the ref did, but everything after has all those niggly cunning the white man has used over the years to stay on top. I am not asking anyone to like it or agree with it, those who get away with cheating have mastered the art of that rat that eats away at your flesh while blowing air on it at the same time.

If Renard had missed her penalty again, they would ask for a replay again because Rita and two French players encroached into the 18 yard box.

Of course we are the ones who don't know the rules, we are the backward ones.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...the pk call should have been deemed incidental, both players arriving at same time for the ball. In the box no pk, outside the box fine, call it a foul, free kick.
I hope the French team meet the USA along the way let's see if they gonna play favoritism to the home side.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

green4life wrote:
Oguleftie wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Txj,

Where were you last year? If there is a pattern, then it's relevant to the discourse with respect to selective implementation of VAR.
The text book & knowledge of studies for year 2018 is not the same for 2019.
You should be reading the text book of 2019, not 2018.
Men's world cup was 2018, women's world cup is 2019.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

oloye wrote:So where in the rule says the ref should order our player to take a throw even when she wanted to leave it for someone else to do. We were losing so it cannot be said that we were wasting time.

Its still time wasting!

Two players went down, the French girl got treated on the field Rita also went to the sideline to get treated, ref insisted Rita should stay out and wait to be called back in, meanwhile the French girl is allowed to continue straight on.

True the french player could've been asked to leave and be treated off field, but these things happen in every game, depending on the injury. But if you leave the field of play, the ref is required to give u permission to return. This is a whole bunch of nothing...

I have no problem with the penalty, I called a penalty even before the ref did, but everything after has all those niggly cunning the white man has used over the years to stay on top. I am not asking anyone to like it or agree with it, those who get away with cheating have mastered the art of that rat that eats away at your flesh while blowing air on it at the same time.

If Renard had missed her penalty again, they would ask for a replay again because Rita and two French players encroached into the 18 yard box.

That's purely speculative.

It pays to know the rules; its is a fundamental part of preparation. For instance, we are a physical team. But not necessarily more physical than the Italians. But they don't get called as much as we do. Why?

Because you can be physical and still keep within the legal bounds of the game, something we have never figured out...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:

Txj,

The issue can also be overstated, to the point it becomes farcical...

mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Both players were attended to by their respective team trainers, which by rule means they both have to come off the pitch. Having said that the commentator said that because a yellow card had been issued, the French player didn't have to come off the field.
txj wrote:
oloye wrote:So where in the rule says the ref should order our player to take a throw even when she wanted to leave it for someone else to do. We were losing so it cannot be said that we were wasting time.

Its still time wasting!

True the french player could've been asked to leave and be treated off field, but these things happen in every game, depending on the injury. But if you leave the field of play, the ref is required to give u permission to return. This is a whole bunch of nothing...

That's purely speculative.

It pays to know the rules; its is a fundamental part of preparation. For instance, we are a physical team. But not necessarily more physical than the Italians. But they don't get called as much as we do. Why?

Because you can be physical and still keep within the legal bounds of the game, something we have never figured out...
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

It’s interesting that thus far nobody’s talked about the culpability of the Falcons defender. First she was caught out of position.

Second, having been so caught out, her focus should have been on the second ball, recognizing her disadvantage.

Third, being already on a YC, she was required to be more cautious, instead she was tackling without any real recognition of her status.

Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

txj wrote:It’s interesting that thus far nobody’s talked about the culpability of the Falcons defender. First she was caught out of position.

Second, having been so caught out, her focus should have been on the second ball, recognizing her disadvantage.

Third, being already on a YC, she was required to be more cautious, instead she was tackling without any real recognition of her status.
We talked about those.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

If a Naija player was hacked in the 18 like the French player was and she does not go down rolling then she is not smart. Ohale's game is still a bit raw so the penalty and cards had been coming. But its ok, she is not the first to get a card and Naija is not first to get a penalty, even Norway if I recall correctly had a penalty awarded against them. The way our players lose it on the field on bad call or penalty shows they don't believe in their game enough. Being one goal down should motivate a good team to fight but they just get demoralize and start arguing and just give up. Their biggest threat are not the referee, they will always get a call wrong here and there even with VAR but that team's forward trio are just currently toothless and largely inconsequential to the game. If they can correct that, they may spring a surprise or two otherwise its another women's WC come and gone.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote:

Txj,

Referees are people.

Of course, there's bias.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote:It’s interesting that thus far nobody’s talked about the culpability of the Falcons defender. First she was caught out of position.

Haba! That was not how it happened.

The French player flicked the ball that gave the fouled player an advantage. That play was a bang-bang play. The referee didn't initially think it was a foul. The benefit of replay is what is making you and other "stop-playing-the-victim" natives attack the Naijarian player.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

very typical, the world is against us mentality! lets watch the officiating at the nations cup coming up soon! past 20 years, we complain about referees but never about how to play the game! keep it up!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

:clap: The only way around it is score more goals than them because a tight game at 0-0/1-0/2-1 etc in an important game will end up with a call that suits their favoured team!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

You are bias supporting the ref and French girls,what you just said is not what happen.
Please don't blame the girl biko,encourage her
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

I can imagine how they felt. It can either give you inner strength or it can demoralise you. You start questioning yourself.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8