PENALTY AND VAR:

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Igugu
Egg
Egg
PENALTY AND VAR:

Post by Igugu »

Please soccer "Okacha Maras", My question is this: If the penalty taken by the French had resulted in a goal; would the Ref had recall the score and demand a re-take? I don't understand it. In my opinion, the player's foot was on the ball same time the goal keeper moved. I have seen this done so many times by goalkeepers.
Igugu
Egg
Egg
Re: PENALTY AND VAR:

Post by Igugu »

We were robbed! :) :)
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Igugu wrote:We were robbed! :) :)
One thing though even though you can’t walk off the pitch in protest I applaud the girls for delaying the game in protest even the keeper walked off away from the posts.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

By the letter of the law they were right, but I can almost bet they wouldn’t have enforced it had the shoe been on the other foot, heck we wouldn’t have even gotten the pk called in the first place...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

maceo4 wrote:By the letter of the law they were right, but I can almost bet they wouldn’t have enforced it had the shoe been on the other foot, heck we wouldn’t have even gotten the pk called in the first place...
:clap:
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Synopsis wrote:
maceo4 wrote:By the letter of the law they were right, but I can almost bet they wouldn’t have enforced it had the shoe been on the other foot, heck we wouldn’t have even gotten the pk called in the first place...

The rule was properly applied. However I'm not a fan of the goalkeeper being issued a yellow card in that situation. It's such a fine margin in terms of the goalkeepers' timing that it doesn't deserve a yellow. The rule ought to be tweaked in my opinion.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

F VAR
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

mystic wrote:
Synopsis wrote:

The rule was properly applied. However I'm not a fan of the goalkeeper being issued a yellow card in that situation. It's such a fine margin in terms of the goalkeepers' timing that it doesn't deserve a yellow. The rule ought to be tweaked in my opinion.
French players were inside the penalty box during the 2nd attempt. Why didn't the officials review it?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Synopsis wrote:
mystic wrote:
Synopsis wrote:

French players were inside the penalty box during the 2nd attempt. Why didn't the officials review it?
Hmmm....
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

This is how they've been using VAR to rob the smaller teams. VAR has its benefits but it still does not remove the biases in refereeing.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Orion wrote:
This is how they've been using VAR to rob the smaller teams. VAR has its benefits but it still does not remove the biases in refereeing.
Beautifully put.....the problem is the bias....it is not racism or partiality....just bias. It is subconscious and u can’t change that. With VAR, you have just given the same biased ppl bigger ammunition to use.

The leg off the line is so small that it didn’t give the keeper any advantage whatsoever.....if it was France, England...etc it won’t have been called. The keeper should have stood aside for her to score and then FIFA and co would wake up and listen
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Igugu wrote:Please soccer "Okacha Maras", My question is this: If the penalty taken by the French had resulted in a goal; would the Ref had recall the score and demand a re-take? I don't understand it. In my opinion, the player's foot was on the ball same time the goal keeper moved. I have seen this done so many times by goalkeepers.
No, a retake will not be reordered if a goal was scored.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

Cellular wrote:
Igugu wrote:Please soccer "Okacha Maras", My question is this: If the penalty taken by the French had resulted in a goal; would the Ref had recall the score and demand a re-take? I don't understand it. In my opinion, the player's foot was on the ball same time the goal keeper moved. I have seen this done so many times by goalkeepers.
No, a retake will not be reordered if a goal was scored.
Then the rule is worth re-visiting. Not fair. And it seems it depends on who you are in this case. If it were the French team that committed the penalty, the French goalkeeper would not had been charged with infraction. The "no-goal" would have stood firm, and no re-take of the penalty. The Big Soccer Countries, USA, UK, Argentina, Germany and other European countries is enjoying privileges resulting from biases of the referees, from my observations.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

jette1 wrote:
Igugu wrote:We were robbed! :) :)
One thing though even though you can’t walk off the pitch in protest I applaud the girls for delaying the game in protest even the keeper walked off away from the posts.
Who say you cant walk off the pitch in protest?Na ban person dey fear,the girls did the right thing and make the ref know their mind.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

For the 2 penalties, the french players encroached into the box 18 before the taker struck the penalty. But VAR was blind to that one. F%&*ng cheats! :boo: :boo:
Agbako
Egg
Egg

Post by Agbako »

You can always see the problem of a black person in this world. A very blatant robbery of the Nigerian women team that the whole world witnessed with the dubious penalty call and the eventual retake to make sure France wins the game. Right here black people are justifying that sick call. Yes French team is more better team. But win the game fairly. For those who have worked with FIFA before. Its not a shock to know that France will have to win this game at all cost. FIFA hates to see hosting team loose a game. For fear of loosing home fans. My one penny. Have a good day.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Agbako wrote:You can always see the problem of a black person in this world. A very blatant robbery of the Nigerian women team that the whole world witnessed with the dubious penalty call and the eventual retake to make sure France wins the game. Right here black people are justifying that sick call. Yes French team is more better team. But win the game fairly. For those who have worked with FIFA before. Its not a shock to know that France will have to win this game at all cost. FIFA hates to see hosting team loose a game. For fear of loosing home fans. My one penny. Have a good day.
:roll: You know you can understand a call and not agree with it? Does not make you less of a black person or a fan.

Folks jaywalk all the time and few are caught and prosecuted. Does it mean when a cop decides to apply the letter of the law you will say, "why me?, ...how many jaywalkers do you prosecute?..."

Or does that mean you have a problem as an African?

The problem is that most people commenting are not aware of the instructions they gave to the referees regarding the use of VAR for this tournament. They have been very strict even with marginal offsides... like an arm in an offside position being called offside using VAR. It is disappointing as heck but it doesn't negate that VAR is still a work in progress and will have such issues.

BTW, FIFA instituted rule changes effective June 1st. One of them included, goals scored by balls that hit a players hand involuntarily or voluntarily will be ruled out. Another is that you can't score off a rebound from a PK. There's another about touching the ball inside the box from a goal-kick restart... it is now allowed. And also substitution rules. Point being that we are not aware if based on the strict adherence to VAR shown at this tournament whether FIFA has mandated the referees to obey the video evidence and not leave it to interpretation or their own discretion.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...give it time goalkeepers will device a way to beat the VAR and ref as they learn when to move and what direction to dive.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Actually not so. FIFA law 14 on penalties states (see below) that:

1) If the attacking team encroaches into the area, and the penalty is not scored - an indirect FK should be given to the defending team.

2) If the GK steps off the line and the penalty is not scored, it must be retaken.

What FIFA failed to think of was what happens if 1 and 2 above happen simultaneously? Last night the officials had to decide which of 1 and 2 to enforce. Of course they were "Homer" officials and took the easy decision that favoured France.

BigMuze
Egg
Egg

Post by BigMuze »

Enyi wrote:
Orion wrote:
Beautifully put.....the problem is the bias....it is not racism or partiality....just bias. It is subconscious and u can’t change that. With VAR, you have just given the same biased ppl bigger ammunition to use.

The leg off the line is so small that it didn’t give the keeper any advantage whatsoever.....if it was France, England...etc it won’t have been called. The keeper should have stood aside for her to score and then FIFA and co would wake up and listen
Interesting, you cant script this, I am watching UEFA U21s Eng vs France. Exact same scenario. France get PK with England player sent off. Penalty taken, England goalies two feet in front of goal line before kick, penalty miss - hits post, rebounds to player and based on new rules indirect free kick to England. No question of goalie coming off line or being carded. Now, tell me there is no bias.

The game is still on but I will look for the clip and post on here soon.
"Everyone, and particularly every true beliver, should decide which is more important to them. But as for me, I choose eternity over lifetime".
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

wiseone wrote:Actually not so. FIFA law 14 on penalties states (see below) that:

1) If the attacking team encroaches into the area, and the penalty is not scored - an indirect FK should be given to the defending team.

2) If the GK steps off the line and the penalty is not scored, it must be retaken.

What FIFA failed to think of was what happens if 1 and 2 above happen simultaneously? Last night the officials had to decide which of 1 and 2 to enforce. Of course they were "Homer" officials and took the easy decision that favoured France.

Thank you Sir. The Cards are loaded against us; I am sure of that. Head or Tail we lose. The Refs have our number!
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Rules aren’t black and white. Otherwise why have humans refereeing the games? Might as well use robots. What is the spirit/ intent behind the rule? To prevent the gk having an undue advantage vs the pk taker. Given where our goalies feet where when the ball was kicked, did she have an advantage? One leg on the line and the other off by a few inches somehow equates a rule violation is ludicrous and silly. What was even more sad was the referee telling here to stick in the middle like an iroko tree otherwise she gets a second yellow. Pray tell my brethren, how is that the intended outcome of the rule in furtherance of the spirit of the game?
BigMuze
Egg
Egg

Post by BigMuze »

[/video]
"Everyone, and particularly every true beliver, should decide which is more important to them. But as for me, I choose eternity over lifetime".