Nigeria goalkeeper rotation threatens Super Eagles' Afcon

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Nigeria goalkeeper rotation threatens Super Eagles' Afcon

Post by Bigpokey24 »

https://www.espn.com/soccer/club/nigeri ... fcon-hopes
Over the past four years, a combination of circumstances has seen Nigeria witness a five-goalkeeper rotation; it is by far the highest turnover of goalies in the Super Eagles' history.

When Vincent Enyeama retired abruptly in 2015, his place was taken by second-choice Carl Ikeme. Less than two years later, Ikeme called time on his career after being diagnosed with leukaemia. Daniel Akpeyi and Ikechukwu Ezenwa jostled briefly for the spot before it was eventually claimed by outsider Francis Uzoho.

This constant chopping and changing could prove to be the Super Eagles' Achilles heel going into the Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt.

So fine are the margins of international football, that there is only the very thinnest of lines between starter and substitute. From there, it is so close to the wilderness.

Uzoho, who was seen as the great new hope of Nigeria's goalkeeping future, is now discovering this the hard way. One mistake against Seychelles has seen the young goalkeeper go from being undisputed custodian to second elect behind Akpeyi.

The mistake was fairly innocuous, but it should never have happened.

Francis Uzoho was Nigeria's No. 1 goalkeeper at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia, but he's been benched since making a mistake in the Super Eagles' final 2019 Afcon qualifier against Seychelles. Shaun Botterill/Getty Images
With the Super Eagles leading 1-0, from Odion Ighalo's penalty kick, Seychelles floated a free-kick into the penalty area. Uzoho inexplicably decided to go for the ball, even with a posse of defenders contesting for it. He failed to get any purchase, punching the ball only as far as Roddy Melanie, who was only too grateful to volley home.

As expected, the blowback was swift; it was intense and it was unforgiving. To the point where Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr felt compelled to relieve the pressure by shooing the young goalie off to the under 23s for an Olympic qualifier despite making all the right public noises about backing him.

AFRICA CUP OF NATIONS

When, where and who: All you need to know about the finals

2019 Africa Cup of Nations daily fixtures schedule
Uzoho has not kept goal for the Super Eagles since. Instead, Kaizer Chiefs' Akpeyi -- himself a previous target of the fans' vitriol-- has manned the posts for the past three games before the Africa Cup of Nations, against Egypt, Zimbabwe and Senegal. Based on that, and Rohr's antecedents, it is clear where this is going. The German's modus operandi is to hand his key personnel as much playing time as possible ahead of a tournament.

Rohr is not saying this explicitly, of course. Prior to this month's friendly against Zimbabwe, the coach said that he had not decided on a No. 1.

That may have been music to the ears of the other two goalkeepers. But it would have sounded like a dirge to Uzoho; and rightly so, because it is clear on the evidence of Akpeyi's minutes that a decision has been made, and Uzoho is the loser.

But how did it come to this? How did a talented young goalkeeper go from rising World Cup star to fallen comet?

It all began to unravel for Uzoho when he returned from the World Cup to find himself struggling for playing minutes at his Spanish Segunda Division club, Elche.

A midseason deadline day transfer to Anorthosis Famagusta was meant to give him valuable playing minutes, but the move ran into hitches when he was banned for one game and fined after submitting an invalid medical certificate before making his debut for the Cyprus club.

As if that was not enough, the goalkeeper was sent off in his first game back from suspension. It was not just raining but pouring for the 20-year-old.

All of this must have been tough to handle for a player who went from barely learning the ropes in his first full season of professional football to being thrown into the international fray as starting goalkeeper at the World Cup.

Daniel Akpeyi is back in favour as Nigeria's custodian, but he, too, knows well the feeling of being benched after making a mistake. Valery Matytsin\TASS via Getty Images
Nigeria striker Odion Ighalo told ESPN that he talked with the youngster, who was reeling from the effects of the harsh scrutiny from Nigeria fans after that Seychelles error

"He told me they were saying horrible things about him and it was making him feel bad," Ighalo said. "So I talked to him personally. I saw what he posted [on social media] and I told him to take it down and not blame himself. It's a football game. The most important thing is that we won. Don't mind what people say outside. He said, 'They are saying rubbish about me on Instagram and on Twitter'.

"I said, 'Do you remember what they said about me in World Cup?'," Ighalo told ESPN, referencing the vitriolic abuse and death threats on social media after performances in Russia that he admitted had been below par. "'Did you see me reply anyone?' Just forget about it. It happens. Only God is perfect; we human beings are not perfect. We are bound to do mistakes. If you do mistake, lying down there is not a problem. It is picking yourself up again to do even much better.

"He said, 'Thank you'. I keep talking to him to calm down, do his thing and not to get worried about what people say outside. People must talk but don't pay too much attention; just concentrate on your job, that is the most important thing."

Ighalo was not alone in backing Uzoho. Super Eagles defenders William Troost-Ekong and Leon Balogun also weighed in with support.

EDITOR'S PICKS

ESPN FC Afcon Rank: Which players will star in Egypt?
"It is all part of it," Troost-Ekong told ESPN.

"I think all of us have made mistakes in the national team, and it wasn't a situation that we blame Francis for anything. It's going to happen again. If it's not Francis, maybe me or another player so we just told him to carry on. Thankfully, he's a confident boy so it wasn't necessary that we had to pick him up after. It was just a bit of encouragement and he has been important for us before, and hopefully he will be important again for us.

"We have seen top players make mistakes. The best ones are the ones that keep it moving. It is normal to make mistakes, the difference is that the good ones can pick themselves up again afterwards."

The support from teammates has not been enough to satisfy Rohr, and Uzoho is back to being an understudy.

Afcon 2019: Confirmed 23-player squads for Africa Cup of Nations
Suoer Eagles: Goal-greedy strikers key to Nigeria's Afcon hopes
Leon Balogun: In defence of Nigeria's Afcon chances, and his own reputation

Akpeyi may well be the No. 1 going into Afcon, but he will be aware that things can change quickly in the game of Nigerian goalkeeping musical chairs.

He was called up and installed as No. 1 when Ikeme retired suddenly from illness, ahead of then deputy Ezenwa, and performed admirably as the Super Eagles routed Algeria 3-1 at home in a World Cup qualifier. The position seemed to be a lock for him.

But a nightmare performance against South Africa in the first of the 2019 Afcon qualifiers led to the installation of Ezenwa and Uzoho's call up.

Akpeyi's fate was sealed when he made a bone-headed decision to pick up the ball outside his area in a friendly against Argentina, which led to a free-kick and goal. He was replaced at halftime by Uzoho, and never quite made it back onto the pitch until the post-qualifying friendly against Egypt.

As it stands, Akpeyi will need to play out of his skin, with no errors, to avoid the axe for a second time. And if he does make a mistake, he will need the same iron-clad skin with which Enyeama navigated his way through during his early years as Nigeria keeper, when his every touch, every kick and every failing was magnified a hundred fold.

Perhaps the current class of keepers needs to seek counsel from their former captain on how to handle the pressure.

Else, this could be the hole that sinks the Super Eagles' boat.
it all falls back to the poor job Rohr has been serving us, 3 years and counting , he can't scout a quality goalkeeper..smh #rohrout
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
fajex
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria goalkeeper rotation threatens Super Eagles' Afco

Post by fajex »

Yes, Rohr will carry the can, but the one who seems to have been quite 'lazy' is Alloy Agu the goalkeeper coach.

He did well for us as a player but has not risen to the occasion as coach at the moment. He seems not travel much to watch local league games from what I’m able to glean from some of our friends that may be closer to the team (perception?) and neither does he connect with other coaches on possible talents and options that may serve us better. It may also be that we totally lack goalkeeping talent (which I don't think is correct) or due to the experience he has had with player or coaches ‘pressure’ that has made him distance himself from them.
He however needs to deploy a methodology to discover or follow up on the talents we have, however few, rather than just silently waiting or keeping on recycling the same few that are not confident or comfortable. It’s quite unfortunate, since he also came out from the system and should bring in a little more vigor and commitment to ‘scouting’ gems in or outside the country .

For any thing appreciable to happen in our goalkeeping department, he will either need to get serious or leave the position :( . Quite sadly he has been made extremely comfortable by both Mr. Rohr and the NFF.
To excel in championships, we all know that a good reliable goal keeper is always needed. From what I have seen in our local league, there are at least 2 guys quite better than what we have presently. We definitely missed that even during the World cup.

Hopefully Akpeyi will surprise us by delivering well at the AFCON. For our sakes, we pray so. We need this team to cream to the top and attain the potential which they have.
Last edited by fajex on Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

What’s the big deal about a coach changing his starting lineup.

Even Enyeama lost his starting job to Ejide during ANC held in Midgetland.

Competition is healthy.

Naija goalie future belongs to Uzoho and Okoye!

Cmoke
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

fajex wrote:Yes, Rohr will carry the can, but the one who seems to have been ‘lazy’ is Alloy Agu the goalkeeper coach.

He does not travel to watch local league games from what I’m able to glean from some of our friends quite close to the team and neither does he connect with other coaches on possible talents and options that may serve us well. It may be due to the experience he has had with player or coach ‘pressure’ that has made him distance himself from them, however he needs a methodology to discover or follow up on the talents we have, however few, rather than just seating down and keeping on recycling thesame few that are not confident or comfortable.

It’s unfortunate, since he also came out from the environment and should be committed to ‘scouting’ gems in or outside the country .

For any thing appreciable to happen in our goalkeeping department, he will either need to get serious or leave the position. :(

To excel in championships, we all know that a good reliable keeper is always needed. We definitely missed that even during the World cup.

Finally someone actually makes a good contribution to the goalie discussion instead of saying the goalies are bad :clap: :clap: :clap:
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
fledy
Egg
Egg

Post by fledy »

If fear for Rohr's job. Pressure is on him to AFCON because Naija people believe we are the favorites.
I am surprised he never gave a look at David Nwokolor who lays regularly in Croatia.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

What I didn't understand was why an experienced coach will throw an average 18 year old into the world cup as a first choice goal keeper! That's too much pressure for such a young guy and could have a longterm negative impact on his career.
fajex
Egg
Egg

Post by fajex »

gochino wrote:What I didn't understand was why an experienced coach will throw an average 18 year old into the world cup as a first choice goal keeper! That's too much pressure for such a young guy and could have a longterm negative impact on his career.
Bros, you could read his mind. He likes tall goalkeepers, he found one, the other goalkeeper he had lacked confidence and was not inspiring, while Ezenwa is considered small and a little theatrical, which 'conservative' Rohr may not be disposed to.
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

fajex wrote:Yes, Rohr will carry the can, but the one who seems to have been quite 'lazy' is Alloy Agu the goalkeeper coach.

He did well for us as a player but has not risen to the occasion as coach at the moment.
He seems not travel much to watch local league games from what I’m able to glean from some of our friends that may be closer to the team (perception?) and neither does he connect with other coaches on possible talents and options that may serve us better.
It may also be that we totally lack goalkeeping talent (which I don't think is correct) or due to the experience he has had with player or coaches ‘pressure’ that has made him distance himself from them.

He however needs to deploy a methodology to discover or follow up on the talents we have, however few, rather than just silently waiting or keeping on recycling the same few that are not confident or comfortable.
It’s quite unfortunate, since he also came out from the system and should bring in a little more vigor and commitment to ‘scouting’ gems in or outside the country .

For any thing appreciable to happen in our goalkeeping department, he will either need to get serious or leave the position :( . Quite sadly he has been made extremely comfortable by both Mr. Rohr and the NFF.

To excel in championships, we all know that a good reliable goal keeper is always needed. From what I have seen in our local league, there are at least 2 guys quite better than what we have presently. We definitely missed that even during the World cup.

Hopefully Akpeyi will surprise us by delivering well at the AFCON. For our sakes, we pray so. We need this team to cream to the top and attain the potential which they have.
:clap:
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Agents still getting mad that Akpeyi has regained his position as Nigeria's no. 1 goalkeeper. Reminds me of tribalists here that said they were moving out of Nigeria if Jonathan became President in 2011, yet they were here everyday posting gibberish. :rotf:
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

The difference is Enyeama and Ejide were two solid options. Akpeyi and Uzoho are average at best. Uzoho has age on his side though so he can still improve. I still prefer Uzoho despite the mistake against Seychelles.
Cmoke wrote:What’s the big deal about a coach changing his starting lineup.

Competition is healthy.

Cmoke
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

akpeyi is freaking 32
SuperEagles

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

fajex wrote:Yes, Rohr will carry the can, but the one who seems to have been quite 'lazy' is Alloy Agu the goalkeeper coach.

He did well for us as a player but has not risen to the occasion as coach at the moment. He seems not travel much to watch local league games from what I’m able to glean from some of our friends that may be closer to the team (perception?) and neither does he connect with other coaches on possible talents and options that may serve us better. It may also be that we totally lack goalkeeping talent (which I don't think is correct) or due to the experience he has had with player or coaches ‘pressure’ that has made him distance himself from them.
He however needs to deploy a methodology to discover or follow up on the talents we have, however few, rather than just silently waiting or keeping on recycling the same few that are not confident or comfortable. It’s quite unfortunate, since he also came out from the system and should bring in a little more vigor and commitment to ‘scouting’ gems in or outside the country .

Who are these two?
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

fajex wrote:
gochino wrote:What I didn't understand was why an experienced coach will throw an average 18 year old into the world cup as a first choice goal keeper! That's too much pressure for such a young guy and could have a longterm negative impact on his career.
Bros, you could read his mind. He likes tall goalkeepers, he found one, the other goalkeeper he had lacked confidence and was not inspiring, while Ezenwa is considered small and a little theatrical, which 'conservative' Rohr may not be disposed to.
Prior to the WC, we were in a lose-lose-lose situation when it came to GKs. Akpeyi, to me, was the unquestionable last choice, so the battle was between Uzoho and Ezenwa. Personally, I would have picked Ezenwa, but I admitted at the time that the margin of confidence in that choice was not high, and would understand someone picking Uzoho. In the end, Uzoho was picked...and he did okay. Cant blame him for any goal really
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

metalalloy wrote:

Who are these two?
While that could be a good question , I think its is better for Alloy Agu to answer and say he has seen those two play and feel the 3 we have in camp for whatever reason he has to justify it...say they are.
CE folks should not. be scouts , after now someone here will accuse him ( fajex) of being an agent.
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

How soon we forget that the same “solid” Enyeama chopped 4 goals in a friendly under new coach Berti V and could not catch crosses or penalties even if his life depended on them!

Cmoke

olu wrote:The difference is Enyeama and Ejide were two solid options. Akpeyi and Uzoho are average at best. Uzoho has age on his side though so he can still improve. I still prefer Uzoho despite the mistake against Seychelles.

Competition is healthy.

Cmoke
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Goalies are supposed to get better with age .

How old be Buffon ?
Bigpokey24 wrote:akpeyi is freaking 32
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Cmoke wrote:How soon we forget that the same “solid” Enyeama chopped 4 goals in a friendly under new coach Berti V and could not catch crosses or penalties even if his life depended on them!

Cmoke

olu wrote:The difference is Enyeama and Ejide were two solid options. Akpeyi and Uzoho are average at best. Uzoho has age on his side though so he can still improve. I still prefer Uzoho despite the mistake against Seychelles.

Competition is healthy.

Cmoke
People always talk about Eyeama because of his performance against Argenitina in one of our WC games. A game we still lost 3 - 1 I believe.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Akpeyi is no Rufai, or Okala, or Ike, but he is currently our best option.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

1naija wrote:Akpeyi is no Rufai, or Okala, or Ike, but he is currently our best option.

You are serious about this. Wow, if you insist, then you must right. Go Akpeyi!!!
Just wondering why the coach went for Uzoho in the first place.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

1naija wrote:Akpeyi is no Rufai, or Okala, or Ike, but he is currently our best option.
Rubbish..Ezenwa is actually the best goalie in camp
SuperEagles

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

ANC wrote:

You are serious about this. Wow, if you insist, then you must right. Go Akpeyi!!!
Akpeyi made a silly mistake in the friendly against Argentina. Since then Uzoho has made several of such silly mistakes at his club and for the flying eagles.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

1naija wrote:
ANC wrote:

Akpeyi made a silly mistake in the friendly against Argentina. Since then Uzoho has made several of such silly mistakes at his club and for the flying eagles.
Who old pass? Akpeyi don de play ball since ......but him no no say don’t pick up the ball outside the 18.? Then on the free kick go stand behind the wall. We should call a shade a shade and no amount of prayer is going improve Akpeyi. The best thing for Rohr would have been not to select him now so many fans with high blood pressure may be sent to an early grave when the Akpeyi blip show starts.......
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

[/video]
AKPEyi
SuperEagles