AFCON 2019: Nigeria 1 vs 0 Burundi FT

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: AFCON 2019: Nigeria 1 vs 0 Burundi FT

Post by truetalk »

mystic wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:I have watched the full game now. Nigeria was lucky. If Burundi had a bit more quality. They would have scored twice in the first half. But the good news it is still the first game. Plenty of time to fix the mistakes. Rohr messed up the goalkeeping position. If Uzoho is not playing at his club, why include him? If Uzoho is not good enough to bench Akpeyi, why not drop Uzoho and go with another option like Afelokhai . There is also David Oboizor, Danlandi Isah, Olufemi Thomas, Dele Ajiboye and etc. The guy refused to scout goalkeeper options.

Apart from Afelokhai, none of these goalkeepers that you are talking about is worth discussion. You think Akpeyi is bad? Try putting one of these jokers in goal for Nigeria and see what happens. What we have in the NPFL are shot-stoppers, not goalkeepers. That is why they have been consistently overlooked, not just by Rohr, but by Keshi and Oliseh as well. The sooner we all realize that we have issues in the way that goalkeepers are developed in Nigeria the better.
You are very wrong & I won't waste time responding to your attempt at justifying laziness, ineptitude & maybe more.

If you truly don't know, please do a search of several posts I have made on this.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

true talk,

I have watched the video and it is a quick reaction save to well hit shot from close. To even get a hand on that ball, IMO, is a major move. There are many goalkeepers that will not react that quickly to such a shot taken from a near distance. The point is that he does deserve credit. That should never be dismissed. Yes, he is jittery and yes I will not mention him among the great Nigerian goalkeepers over the years. The truth though is that he is no worse than the two goalkeepers now sitting on SE bench, particularly Uzoho.
truetalk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
truetalk wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
Its a Goal wrote:
[color=brown]zee[/color] wrote:
Its a Goal wrote: Akpeyi has come under a lot of unfair criticism here. Yes he made some blunders but they haven't cost us. What he needs is assurance and boast. Akpeyi brings a lot to the team top of which is confidence when the ball is at his feet. He is composed when he has to play the ball to a teammate in order to play out from the back rather than hoofing it long. On so many occasions he came out of his 18 yard box to get the ball just to keep the possession going. He made a number of brilliant saves today too. For me he is a better option to Uzoho. Uzoho stays back on his goal line and is not a sweeper keeper.
Dude na basket.................4-1 for Burundi would have been the outcome if a Musa or Ighalo was playing for Burundi.
On this one we disagree :biggrin:. Did you see the save he made from point blank early in the first half? He made a lot of crucial saves throughout the game and he is responsible for ensuring we picked up all 3 points rather than 1.
Are you sure you really watched the game? Aside from the point blank save he made in the first half, how many "crucial" saves(not counting the comic flaps he somehow managed to pull off from balls going wide, or routine long range direct shots that even my grandma would comfortably save) did he actually make all game??
That 'point blank' save was directly at him and expected to be made by an average NPFL keeper.

The dude was busy palming down shots from 30 yards.

This is directly on Rohr & his GK coach. Pure laziness & ineptitude.
That is not my recollection. I believe (and a youtube video should be able to show whether it is correct) the shot slightly to Akpeyi's right and high and he had to react quickly. That was a top drawer save by any accounts my brother. Give credit where it is due.
Look at the highlights below. Start from the 55 second mark (in the 1st minute). Onuachu's header: The Burundi keeper had to leave his feet on the save because the ball was not directly at him.
The frame moves on to Akpeyi's save. I won't even talk about Ekong's defending. Watch it again & repeat what you said.

You should know I'm not in the league of people that write just for the sake of it.

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Its a Goal wrote:^^There was a fierce freekick that he palmed away. If he had tried to catch it the ball would have bounced off his palm and gone into the net. There was another shot that hit low from outside the 18 that was going to sneak into the far corner that Akpeyi managed to palm away for a corner. He may not be the most composed keeper ever to stand between the sticks for Nigeria but at the same time he is not the worst. As I mentioned earlier he provides more than being a shot stopper. He helps the team build attack from the back.
Brother those were routine saves any average Sunday school league keeper would have made, let's not make it seem like Akpeyi produced some nail biting saves all game save for the first half one(for which I give him credit for).
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

[color=brown]Tobi17[/color] wrote:
Its a Goal wrote: ^^There was a fierce freekick that he palmed away. If he had tried to catch it the ball would have bounced off his palm and gone into the net. There was another shot that hit low from outside the 18 that was going to sneak into the far corner that Akpeyi managed to palm away for a corner. He may not be the most composed keeper ever to stand between the sticks for Nigeria but at the same time he is not the worst. As I mentioned earlier he provides more than being a shot stopper. He helps the team build attack from the back.
Brother those were routine saves any average Sunday school league keeper would have made, let's not make it seem like Akpeyi produced some nail biting saves all game save for the first half one(for which I give him credit for).
Does that mean he shouldn't be given credit for what he did right but only beaten up for what he did wrong? All the test Burundi gave him he matched him up it. The only issues created were of Akpeyi's own doing not any credited by the opposition. If he can learn to focus more he will be the better for it. Akpeyi is not a bad keeper.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
100%Naija
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: AFCON 2019: Nigeria 1 vs 0 Burundi 2H

Post by 100%Naija »

Rawlings wrote:naija defence is a joke
We are waiting to see Ghananese b(r)ank steys defense in action. No worry
I'm the biggest boss that you've seen thus far, Reppin' PH & NGR to the Fullest
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=158494
Babafad wrote: My brother, dis money go scatter akara for inside oil. Just dey watch!
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Well, emotion aside, Akpeyi has jitters but he has improved. In the WC qualifiers, he appeared to concede goals every game that he played. However, he now has a decent trend. Four games and one goal conceded. Egypt, Senegal, Zimbabwe and Burundi.

He is the starter. The NPFL Botha are not going to Egypt so please let’s encourage and support all our players.
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

nzeogwu wrote:Well, emotion aside, Akpeyi has jitters but he has improved. In the WC qualifiers, he appeared to concede goals every game that he played. However, he now has a decent trend. Four games and one goal conceded. Egypt, Senegal, Zimbabwe and Burundi.

He is the starter. The NPFL Botha are not going to Egypt so please let’s encourage and support all our players.
The highlighted in Green and red are in my view in conflict. His jitters as not improved the outcomes have only not been as costly. The errors he made against Burundi didn't translate because we were not playing against Messi, Aguero and Dimaria. When we played against them, we payed the price (in conceeding)
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

bump
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:27 ambump
Bored on a weekend? Go out and have fun BP! Are you watching the Wilder vs Fury fight?