AFCON 2019: Nigeria 1 vs 0 Burundi FT

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

zee
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: AFCON 2019: Nigeria 1 vs 0 Burundi FT

Post by zee »

airwolex wrote:So for me, here are the pertinent points...

- We have a massive goalkeeping crisis. Akpeyi, our first choice is too jittery, just not the kind of number one that you can count on
- Mikel should not start for us again
- Musa must start and play every minute henceforth
- Chukwueze has some talent but is too damn selfish; we should consider Onyekwuru, Simon or Kalu
- Ighalo is by far our best striking option
- Ola Aina na baller from this game sha
- We have a decent team, but we have a poor goalkeeper and we will struggle to score goals, therefore, have zero chance in this AFCON
Can't you read.................Musa was SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chukwueze is the best thing(by a zillion miles) to happen to Nigerian football at this moment................I bet his teammates knows that he is their/our talisman.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Its a Goal wrote:Akpeyi has come under a lot of unfair criticism here. Yes he made some blunders but they haven't cost us. What he needs is assurance and boast. Akpeyi brings a lot to the team top of which is confidence when the ball is at his feet. He is composed when he has to play the ball to a teammate in order to play out from the back rather than hoofing it long. On so many occasions he came out of his 18 yard box to get the ball just to keep the possession going. He made a number of brilliant saves today too. For me he is a better option to Uzoho. Uzoho stays back on his goal line and is not a sweeper keeper.
Dude na basket.................4-1 for Burundi would have been the outcome if a Musa or Ighalo was playing for Burundi.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

1naija wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Its a Goal wrote:Akpeyi has come under a lot of unfair criticism here. Yes he made some blunders but they haven't cost us. What he needs is assurance and boast. Akpeyi brings a lot to the team top of which is confidence when the ball is at his feet. He is composed when he has to play the ball to a teammate in order to play out from the back rather than hoofing it long. On so many occasions he came out of his 18 yard box to get the ball just to keep the possession going. He made a number of brilliant saves today too. For me he is a better option to Uzoho. Uzoho stays back on his goal line and is not a sweeper keeper.
:scared: so you want to wait till it costs us first? Kaiii!

The point remains, Akpeyi is the best among the 3 goalkeepers we have in the team. If it's blunder you are using to judge him, they have all made costly blunders. None of Akeyi's blunders has cost us in a competitive game. Uzoho's blunder led to a goal against Seychelles. Ezenwa's blunder cost us a goal against Cameroon in the WC qualifier last year. All I know is if Uzoho was in goal today, we would have been singing a different tune by now. Ezenwa is better than Uzoho, but he lacks competitive games experience. Akpeyi plays regularly in a competitive league.
1naija

I can't believe that I have to KPOM my brother's statement!! :rotf:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Akpeyi is trash, many of you should have watched the game via eurosport 2...
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

[color=brown]zee[/color] wrote:
Its a Goal wrote: Akpeyi has come under a lot of unfair criticism here. Yes he made some blunders but they haven't cost us. What he needs is assurance and boast. Akpeyi brings a lot to the team top of which is confidence when the ball is at his feet. He is composed when he has to play the ball to a teammate in order to play out from the back rather than hoofing it long. On so many occasions he came out of his 18 yard box to get the ball just to keep the possession going. He made a number of brilliant saves today too. For me he is a better option to Uzoho. Uzoho stays back on his goal line and is not a sweeper keeper.
Dude na basket.................4-1 for Burundi would have been the outcome if a Musa or Ighalo was playing for Burundi.
On this one we disagree :biggrin:. Did you see the save he made from point blank early in the first half? He made a lot of crucial saves throughout the game and he is responsible for ensuring we picked up all 3 points rather than 1.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

I rewatched the second half and I must say Ola Aina, by a country mile, was the MOM. The lad is everything plus a bag of chips. There is no competition for that LB so long as he keeps up that form.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enugu II wrote:
1naija wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
:scared: so you want to wait till it costs us first? Kaiii!

The point remains, Akpeyi is the best among the 3 goalkeepers we have in the team. If it's blunder you are using to judge him, they have all made costly blunders. None of Akeyi's blunders has cost us in a competitive game. Uzoho's blunder led to a goal against Seychelles. Ezenwa's blunder cost us a goal against Cameroon in the WC qualifier last year. All I know is if Uzoho was in goal today, we would have been singing a different tune by now. Ezenwa is better than Uzoho, but he lacks competitive games experience. Akpeyi plays regularly in a competitive league.
1naija

I can't believe that I have to KPOM my brother's statement!! :rotf:
Abeg I don't see why we can't try Ezenwa, one thing that bobo has is confidence galore, but it will be tough to win an ANC with this crop of keepers, our last ANC Enyeama saved us so many times, you can't count on these guys for such.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

Akpeyi is a goalkeeping Sanogo.......a complete disaster waiting to happen....
baffling how he got into the team.......
“If this year, you cannot compete with Spurs, with all the respect I have for them, and Leicester, then change your sport. I’m sorry.” Emmanuel Petit

"I didn't buy Arsenal stake to win trophies" Kroneke
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Its a Goal wrote:I rewatched the second half and I must say Ola Aina, by a country mile, was the MOM. The lad is everything plus a bag of chips. There is no competition for that LB so long as he keeps up that form.
He is actually better on the right but was moved to the LB due to Collins unavailability.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Guy, Burundi's record in the last 6 months is not bad. They rarely let in goals.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

People's grievance is not about Burundi but Rohr's bone headed decisions.
AKPEYI IS JITTERY
MIKEL IS NOT AN AM
IWOBI SHOULD BE PLAYED IN THE CENTER
WE NEED AHMED MUSA AND IGHALO

Let him correct the erroneous errors or we'll be back again relying on other teams to qualify us for the knockout rounds.
Lolly wrote:Guy, Burundi's record in the last 6 months is not bad. They rarely let in goals.

Last edited by Ekorian on Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Ekorian wrote:People's grievance is not about Burundi but Rohr's bone headed decisions.
AKPEYI IS JITTERY
MIKEL IS NOT AN AM
IWOBI SHOULD BE PLAYED IN THE CENTER
WE NEED AHMED MUSA AND IGHALO

Let him correct the erroneous errors or we'll be back again relying on other teams to qualify for the knockout rounds.
Lolly wrote:Guy, Burundi's record in the last 6 months is not bad. They rarely let in goals.

Nothing you said here that I didn't raise before the game. Mikel and Iwobi's starting positions was one of our main problems. And I would have started with Simon Moses instead of Iwobi or Musa on the left, and brought on Musa when the players start to tire.

Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Its a Goal wrote:
Its a Goal wrote: Akpeyi has come under a lot of unfair criticism here. Yes he made some blunders but they haven't cost us. What he needs is assurance and boast. Akpeyi brings a lot to the team top of which is confidence when the ball is at his feet. He is composed when he has to play the ball to a teammate in order to play out from the back rather than hoofing it long. On so many occasions he came out of his 18 yard box to get the ball just to keep the possession going. He made a number of brilliant saves today too. For me he is a better option to Uzoho. Uzoho stays back on his goal line and is not a sweeper keeper.
On this one we disagree :biggrin:. Did you see the save he made from point blank early in the first half? He made a lot of crucial saves throughout the game and he is responsible for ensuring we picked up all 3 points rather than 1.
Are you sure you really watched the game? Aside from the point blank save he made in the first half, how many "crucial" saves(not counting the comic flaps he somehow managed to pull off from balls going wide, or routine long range direct shots that even my grandma would comfortably save) did he actually make all game??
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Tobi17 wrote:
Its a Goal wrote:
Are you sure you really watched the game? Aside from the point blank save he made in the first half, how many "crucial" saves(not counting the comic flaps he somehow managed to pull off from balls going wide, or routine long range direct shots that even my grandma would comfortably save) did he actually make all game??
That 'point blank' save was directly at him and expected to be made by an average NPFL keeper.

The dude was busy palming down shots from 30 yards.

This is directly on Rohr & his GK coach. Pure laziness & ineptitude.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

truetalk wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
Its a Goal wrote:
That 'point blank' save was directly at him and expected to be made by an average NPFL keeper.

That is not my recollection. I believe (and a youtube video should be able to show whether it is correct) the shot slightly to Akpeyi's right and high and he had to react quickly. That was a top drawer save by any accounts my brother. Give credit where it is due.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

^^There was a fierce freekick that he palmed away. If he had tried to catch it the ball would have bounced off his palm and gone into the net. There was another shot that hit low from outside the 18 that was going to sneak into the far corner that Akpeyi managed to palm away for a corner. He may not be the most composed keeper ever to stand between the sticks for Nigeria but at the same time he is not the worst. As I mentioned earlier he provides more than being a shot stopper. He helps the team build attack from the back.

truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Enugu II wrote:
truetalk wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
Its a Goal wrote:

That is not my recollection. I believe (and a youtube video should be able to show whether it is correct) the shot slightly to Akpeyi's right and high and he had to react quickly. That was a top drawer save by any accounts my brother. Give credit where it is due.
Look at the highlights below. Start from the 55 second mark (in the 1st minute). Onuachu's header: The Burundi keeper had to leave his feet on the save because the ball was not directly at him.
The frame moves on to Akpeyi's save. I won't even talk about Ekong's defending. Watch it again & repeat what you said.

You should know I'm not in the league of people that write just for the sake of it.

mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Damunk wrote:
airwolex wrote:
Robbynice wrote:
airwolex wrote:So for me, here are the pertinent points...

- We have a massive goalkeeping crisis. Akpeyi, our first choice is too jittery, just not the kind of number one that you can count on
- Mikel should not start for us again
- Musa must start and play every minute henceforth
- Chukwueze has some talent but is too damn selfish; we should consider Onyekwuru, Simon or Kalu
- Ighalo is by far our best striking option
- Ola Aina na baller from this game sha
- We have a decent team, but we have a poor goalkeeper and we will struggle to score goals, therefore, have zero chance in this AFCON
I remember the last time we were told we had zero chance in the AFCON...Continue to RIP Coach Stephen Keshi
With Akpeyi...no chance. Rip Keshi
I believe Akpeyi would have been in Keshi's SE mix if not for the fact that we had a world class Enyeama and an able deputy in Ejide.
Anyone else was simply there for 'ceremony'.
Had there been no Enyeama especially, its likely Akpeyi and OMG Agbim would have been our main keepers.
AGBIM was a REGULAR member of Keshi's squads, being in both the 2013 AFCON and Confederations Cup squads. Was he any better then than Akpetyi is now?

So Enyeama was masking a lot of our GK worries and shielded Keshi from the criticism that Rohr is now getting in the GK department. :idea:

Akpeyi was 4th choice during the Keshi era. Indeed, a lot of folks were calling for Akpeyi then (myself included) particularly after Agbim's howlers at CHAN 2014 and Akpeyi's heroics in leading Heartland to consecuting FA Cup wins (much like folks are clamouring for some of the NPFL options now). As they say, be careful what you wish for.
Last edited by mystic on Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Its a Goal wrote:I rewatched the second half and I must say Ola Aina, by a country mile, was the MOM. The lad is everything plus a bag of chips. There is no competition for that LB so long as he keeps up that form.
And to think he plays just as well on the right. Hopefully Ebuehi will come back and own that side.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

zee wrote:
theYemster wrote: He played that role more impressively against a better quality Atletico Madrid team than Mikel did against Zimbabwe and Burundi.

It's not overhyping by acknowledging that he's a better option than a gassed out Mikel running on fumes and most certainly costing us one sub per game.
The match against AM B team was a bloody..............................CHOOSING GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That "Atleti B" team has more quality than most of the teams the SE played since the WC.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

theYemster wrote:
zee wrote:
theYemster wrote: He played that role more impressively against a better quality Atletico Madrid team than Mikel did against Zimbabwe and Burundi.

It's not overhyping by acknowledging that he's a better option than a gassed out Mikel running on fumes and most certainly costing us one sub per game.
The match against AM B team was a bloody..............................CHOOSING GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That "Atleti B" team has more quality than most of the teams the SE played since the WC.
Plus Kelechi did NOT play the no. 10 role, he played DM, his brother Chidiebere that was released by Man City played the no. 10 role:

[/video]
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I have watched the full game now. Nigeria was lucky. If Burundi had a bit more quality. They would have scored twice in the first half. But the good news it is still the first game. Plenty of time to fix the mistakes. Rohr messed up the goalkeeping position. If Uzoho is not playing at his club, why include him? If Uzoho is not good enough to bench Akpeyi, why not drop Uzoho and go with another option like Afelokhai . There is also David Oboizor, Danlandi Isah, Olufemi Thomas, Dele Ajiboye and etc. The guy refused to scout goalkeeper options.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

ohenhen1 wrote:I have watched the full game now. Nigeria was lucky. If Burundi had a bit more quality. They would have scored twice in the first half. But the good news it is still the first game. Plenty of time to fix the mistakes. Rohr messed up the goalkeeping position. If Uzoho is not playing at his club, why include him? If Uzoho is not good enough to bench Akpeyi, why not drop Uzoho and go with another option like Afelokhai . There is also David Oboizor, Danlandi Isah, Olufemi Thomas, Dele Ajiboye and etc. The guy refused to scout goalkeeper options.

Apart from Afelokhai, none of these goalkeepers that you are talking about is worth discussion. You think Akpeyi is bad? Try putting one of these jokers in goal for Nigeria and see what happens. What we have in the NPFL are shot-stoppers, not goalkeepers. That is why they have been consistently overlooked, not just by Rohr, but by Keshi and Oliseh as well. The sooner we all realize that we have issues in the way that goalkeepers are developed in Nigeria the better.