Rohr should release Akpeyi ..

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mystic
Egg
Egg
Re: Rohr should release Akpeyi ..

Post by mystic »

ohenhen1 wrote:My main gripe here is if Uzoho has lost form and he is now third choice. Why did he take him to Afcon. Also when will Ezenwa regain full fitness?

Uzoho is there because the coaches still believe in his potential. If there was anyone that they believed was demonstrably better, he might have been dropped (as we saw with Iheanacho) but absent that he is in the squad.

Ezenwa is currently fit, but his injury allowed Akpeyi to gain the upper hand. It is now left for Akpeyi to keep the job. Rohr is saying all the right things to give him confidence, but he cannot continue to have brain farts in games. If that continues, it would open the door for Ezenwa.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Enugu II wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:
Enugu II wrote:What happens when he makes AFCON tournament xi? :lol:
What :blink:, of the top 10 calamity goals of the tournament?
Mr. Shows,

Na like joke + film wey im go do una when im make tournament XI. Abeg, make una bring una award for me, make una no forget ooo! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Hehehehe.... the dude is an accident waiting to happen
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Robbynice wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:My main gripe here is if Uzoho has lost form and he is now third choice. Why did he take him to Afcon. Also when will Ezenwa regain full fitness?
The way I see it, Akpeyi won the goalkeeping job in practice.
Robby the issue is he probably doesn't display nerves in training...

The gaff against Argentina and the 2 against Burundi show a consistent pattern of school boy errors. The guy needs to see a shrink full stop....

At this level of competition every department will be tested. In some games it will be your attackers that win you the game, in sometimes your defenders, in others your goalie will be the turning point and save the day.

At the business end of the tournament, Akpeyi will be sussed out as the weak link in the team. In any game we struggle to score, Akpeyi will be the game decider...
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Mr Shows wrote:
Robbynice wrote:

The gaff against Argentina and the 2 against Burundi show a consistent pattern of school boy errors. The guy needs to see a shrink full stop....

At this level of competition every department will be tested. In some games it will be your attackers that win you the game, in sometimes your defenders, in others your goalie will be the turning point and save the day.

At the business end of the tournament, Akpeyi will be sussed out as the weak link in the team. In any game we struggle to score, Akpeyi will be the game decider...
I get what you mean but one cannot deny the fact that Akpeyi played a part in the victory against Burundi and none of his errors have cost us in a competitive game.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Robbynice wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:
Robbynice wrote:

I get what you mean but one cannot deny the fact that Akpeyi played a part in the victory against Burundi and none of his errors have cost us in a competitive game.
That was because he wasn't punished and the opposition did not capitalise. Note every team we play from hereon is ranked higher than the Swans of Burundi..
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Mr. Shows, I don't know what more testing you are looking for from Akpeyi that Burundi didn't provide. He was tested short range (point blank save) and long range (fierce freekick) and he passed them with flying colors. Someone was comparing him to the Burundi keeper with the save him made off Onuachi header. The way he moved his feet is exactly the way Daniel moved his feet to go for the ball that hit the bar in the first half. Akpeyi did all that was required of him. The only only issues the team faced were those of his own doing and those can easily be corrected.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Sir V wrote:...and let him go home make i no go faint.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Damn, is Akpeyi that bad?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

mystic wrote:
Cito wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
fabio wrote:I think it's rather sad, when threads are open to malign a players, especially Daniel.

For all his so called faults, Daniel kept a clean sheet yesterday. Secondly for those shouting Uzoho (the young man only made the team because he is tall and played in Spanish third division). Let's not forget that Rohr sent his goal keeping coach to give Uzoho extra coaching before the world cup (not saying extra lessons are bad).

Either way, Daniel will be in Gk throughout the nations cup, other qualifier and the next world cup.

So you better turn off your TV.
If that is true, Rohr would be fired right after the Afcon. The new coach won't risk his job by playing Akpeyi.
Ohenhen1,

Will he be fired if Nigeria finishes in the top four with Akpeyi in goal? I think not. The fact is that Uzoho, IMHO, is just not as good as Akpeyi at this time. Akpeyi is a seasoned goalie but one that makes a mistake that is maddening at times. If Nigeria had better options, Akpeyi will not be in goal. But at this time, Uzoho is just not an option. We have seen enough him and I saw nothing, IMHO, that should make him preferable to Akpeyi.
I kpom this.

Akpeyi and Ezenwa are currently better than Uzoho. So Rohr better keep Uzoho far away from that post.
Akpeyi for all his issues is not as bad as portrayed on these pages. Fact is his body language and facial expressions makes your heart jump into your tummy when he is picked to man the post. His few gaffes then confirms your impression of fear emanating from him.
But if you take another look at his performances you will realize he is not that bad. Most Nigerians just have no confidence in him due to mob mentality but reality says otherwise. Yesterday his drop in the 6 yard could have been costly but that was only issue he had in the game.

That was not the only issue he had in the game (the mishandling of Omeruo's backpass gifted the opponents a corner). Also, there is no way to separate his gaffes from his saves. That is part and parcel of who he is as a goalkeeper. Which means that every game that he starts is a gamble that one of his gaffes won't cost you the game.

Having said that, I agree with the notion of leaving Uzoho on the bench. He practically had no games last season, and that manifested itself in the Seychelles game. It's either Akpeyi or Ezenwa, and Ezenwa's injury in camp opened the door for Akpeyi. But at some point Ezenwa will get his opportunity.
I am more worried with the silly drop than the backpass gaffe. He has shown that he has a solid footwork and I will give him a pass on that.

That said, Uzoho is not an option for me cos he has the same gaffe of ball dropping coupled with footwork from hell. Knowing when to make his move off his line is another issue.

Ezenwa is a good keeper if he keeps his essentric moves down a bit. But I bet injury got to him.

So in all, I am confident in our #1 being handed to Akpeyi and based on keepers I have seen so far, he is not the worst or the best. One major gaffe doesn’t make him the worst. Every other challenge thrown at him, he passed with flying colors.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

One major gaffe can cost Nigeria in the knockout stage. Rohr messed up. Lazy in addressing the goalkeeper position.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

ohenhen1 wrote:One major gaffe can cost Nigeria in the knockout stage. Rohr messed up. Lazy in addressing the goalkeeper position.
How? You want him to manufacture a goal keeper? He has to play the best we have,
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Sir V wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:One major gaffe can cost Nigeria in the knockout stage. Rohr messed up. Lazy in addressing the goalkeeper position.
How? You want him to manufacture a goal keeper? He has to play the best we have,
Ezenwa is not even fhe best homebased goalkeeper.

fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Sir V wrote:
If na Keshi or Amodu, una go talk say na drop rate.

Just saying, use the same standards to evaluate everyone.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

ohenhen1 wrote:
Sir V wrote:
Who is and please back it up with facts not feelings. A video will be appreciated too.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Robbynice wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:
Robbynice wrote:

South Africa at home.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote:
Robbynice wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:
Robbynice wrote:

South Africa at home.
Ah ah, I don't like Akpeyi either, but that's not fair, the first goal was on Awaziem, Akpeyi couldn't do anything about the header...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Watching the 2nd half again. I think Uzoho has better fundamentals than Akpeyi that is why he is error prone. Akpeyi is the better shot stopper right now. Just after we scored. Akpeyi dropped a simple catch almost gifted the equalizer. The guy was punching shots away that he should have grabbed. Punching shots away that were going wide.
Can we try Ezenwa against Guinea?

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

ohenhen1 wrote:Watching the 2nd half again. I think Uzoho has better fundamentals than Akpeyi that is why he is error prone. Akpeyi is the better shot stopper right now. Just after we scored. Akpeyi dropped a simple catch almost gifted the equalizer. The guy was punching shots away that he should have grabbed. Punching shots away that were going wide.
You guys are talking about Uzoho as if we have never seen him as a SE goalkeeper. There is no way Rohr would be using Akpeyi now if Uzoho was good. He may turn out to be a good goalkeeper later, but right now he is NOT a national team caliber goalkeeper.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

1naija wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:Watching the 2nd half again. I think Uzoho has better fundamentals than Akpeyi that is why he is error prone. Akpeyi is the better shot stopper right now. Just after we scored. Akpeyi dropped a simple catch almost gifted the equalizer. The guy was punching shots away that he should have grabbed. Punching shots away that were going wide.
You guys are talking about Uzoho as if we have never seen him as a SE goalkeeper. There is no way Rohr would be using Akpeyi now if Uzoho was good. He may turn out to be a good goalkeeper later, but right now he is NOT a national team caliber goalkeeper.

Uzoho played well at the world cup. He must be really bad to lose out to Akpeyi.

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

ohenhen1 wrote:
1naija wrote:

Uzoho played well at the world cup. He must be really bad to lose out to Akpeyi.
What do you define as playing well? Every decent shot wired at him went in!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

1naija wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
1naija wrote:

What do you define as playing well? Every decent shot wired at him went in!
He was decent, conceded 5 goals in 3 games. Made some saves against Messi. I like the one of his saves from the freekick from Messi. He was commanding on high balls. Uzoho problem is he is not the best at shot stopping. Need to work on getting down quicker. Overall I think he played well at the World cup. Uzoho must be in really bad shape to lose out to Akpeyi. Rohr should have played him in one of the friendlies.

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Cito wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
Sir V wrote:
Who is and please back it up with facts not feelings. A video will be appreciated too.
The Nigerian goalkeeper that benched him at Enyimba a few years ago.

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

ohenhen1 wrote:
Cito wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
Sir V wrote:
I thought it was a breda, no?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

maceo4 wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
Cito wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
Sir V wrote:
I thought it was a breda, no?
Afelokhai