10 observations I made from this game

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 10 observations I made from this game

Post by maceo4 »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:The only thing I can say is that Rohr’s coaching is as challenged as some of your opinions. Having seemingly lost his armor for Uzoho who, by the way, did nothing to show that he is better than Ezenwa who got us through the World Cup qualifiers without a hitch, why didn’t he simply go back to Ezenwa rather than take an unnecessary risk with the unsteady Akpeyi? Rohr has demonstrated in so many ways that he isn’t the right man for the SuperEagles job :!:

Cheers.
Ezenwa plays in the local league and Rohr is anti local...I really don’t get it, he’s never been this bad.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

vancity eagle wrote:spot on Ayo

My Observations

1. Akpeyi is a clown. If Rohr continues to play him that is almost reason enough for him to be sacked. How on earth a keeper who is a regular starter in Croatia cannot get into this team is mind boggling.

2. Ola Aina is the truth. This is beating a dead horse but Rohr's ignoring him for Echijele in Russia is downright criminal.

3. Chukwueze is a super star

4. Mikel should not play AM. I am even wondering if he should be starting, I think I prefer Etebo and Ndidi behind Iwobi.

5. Ighalo is our best striker. PERIOD

6. Musa while very lively and getting behind defenders with ease killed 2 or 3 counter attacks with his poor final cross into the middle.

7. Yes we afforded Burundi too much time on the ball in front of our goal. I suspect the weather may be playing a role in this.

8. Onuachu is not it. He should not be getting any more significant playing time this tournament. I would rather Oshimen or Onyekuru instead.

9. Rohr today made very good use of subs. Made the perfect tactical adjustments and change in player personnel. Was not scared to yank Mikel as it was needed. Perhaps he could have brought in Musa and Ighalo 5 to 10 minutes earlier but spot on.

10. This team is good. We played well and will improve. Only real problem is Akpeyi and to a lesser extent Uzoho. Ezenwa may have to be our starter.

Akpeyi is definitely not it, but there is no Nigerian goalkeeper who is starting regularly in Croatia. That is not accurate. David Nwokolor (who I assume you are referring to) did not play in Croatia last season.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

maceo4 wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:The only thing I can say is that Rohr’s coaching is as challenged as some of your opinions. Having seemingly lost his armor for Uzoho who, by the way, did nothing to show that he is better than Ezenwa who got us through the World Cup qualifiers without a hitch, why didn’t he simply go back to Ezenwa rather than take an unnecessary risk with the unsteady Akpeyi? Rohr has demonstrated in so many ways that he isn’t the right man for the SuperEagles job :!:

Cheers.
Ezenwa plays in the local league and Rohr is anti local...I really don’t get it, he’s never been this bad.

Ezenwa was injured early on in the build-up to the Nations Cup. Thus opening the door for Akpeyi.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

YUJAM wrote:Musa lacks the guile to provide ammo from the flanks? Can anyone who watched this game say this with a straight face?
Let me put the disclaimer that I am not a fan of Musa, because he is brainless. So, read my post with that disclaimer.

Everyone seems to be praising Musa. To be fair, yes, he had an impact. However, my analysis is that any wonder would have done the same and some others better. The fact is that-- and i mentioned it during the game-- playing Iwobi as a winger is a disservice to Iwobi. Iwobi, in that role, does not really stretch the right back down the flank-- and frankly, the few times he tried to do it, he killed the right back, anyway. So, Musa, coming in and creating danger was not because it was Musa, but rather because it was a winger with pace, who could stretch the right back.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

9jaMan wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:This is how I would start against Guinea if all the injuries are cleared up:

*************************************Ighalo***************************************

*****************Chukwueze**************************Onyekuru***************

*******************************************Iwobi**********************************

**************************Ndidi**************************Etebo*******************

***Collins**************Omeruo******************Ekong*****************Aina***

****************************************Uzoho***************************************

If Etebo continues to slow things down with his negative sideways passes, I would bring Mikel on for him.
You need Etebo's lungs and energy in that position. Mikel's legs are gone. If Mikel was two years younger, I play him ahead of Etebo because he will offer us vision and play making from deep.

This team really struggles to play from deep when pressed. They just knock it long for Ighalo. The problem is the lack of quality ball players in the Central defence and midfield positions.

What lungs and energy? What exactly did etebo do today? Ndidi can play central with the freedom to roam, while Mikel shields the defense as a cdm like he did for Chelsea. In that role Mikel can also make defense splitting passes from way deep, something etebo cannot do. Etebo cost Nigeria against Argentina with his negative play and rohr seems not to understand the limitations of his players.
I am not judging Etebo on yesterday. Indeed, I have nothing but serious respect for our players in view of the illness in camp.

Go look at the stats in the WC, Etebo covered the most miles, made the most tackles and won the most possession. He has just had a great season doing exactly the same in his league.

Playing Mikel with Ndidi might not be a problem against lesser teams but against higher quality teams they will overrun us in midfield. Mikel's legs are long gone. The stats are there from the WC, he covered the least ground of our midfielders at the slowest pace. Mikel's experience and great positioning strength keeps him playing. He reads the game best in our team but these qualities will not be enough if we play a top team. I love his deep lying play making abilities but at what cost? Do the benefits of playing Mikel outweigh the costs? If benefits outweigh costs, is it enough to make a material difference to the team? These are the questions we need look at objectively.

The game is now played mainly in transition and the need for dynamism, work rate, defensive qualities plus ball playing abilities which contribute to the attacking strategies and tactics of any team makes players with such qualities in that position premium talent. We lack such quality right now, if only Mikel was 3 to 4 years younger, Etebo will not be in the team.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Etebo did not have a great season at stoke.... played 3 great games and was average in the rest. Mikel or Etebo is a toss of a coin, don’t mind either

The issue with the game is the striker position. Onuacho kept coming for the ball and did nothing with the ball on his feet. We need a mobile striker to utilise the skills and vision of Iwobi, Chukwueze and Mikel(if he plays)

Akpeyi is Akpeyi...the other two are just as bad....the goalkeeping coaches have decided to go with him and don’t see any other option.
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

danfo driver wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Musa lacks the guile to provide ammo from the flanks? Can anyone who watched this game say this with a straight face?
Let me put the disclaimer that I am not a fan of Musa, because he is brainless. So, read my post with that disclaimer.

Everyone seems to be praising Musa. To be fair, yes, he had an impact. However, my analysis is that any wonder would have done the same and some others better. The fact is that-- and i mentioned it during the game-- playing Iwobi as a winger is a disservice to Iwobi. Iwobi, in that role, does not really stretch the right back down the flank-- and frankly, the few times he tried to do it, he killed the right back, anyway. So, Musa, coming in and creating danger was not because it was Musa, but rather because it was a winger with pace, who could stretch the right back.
Your post is so illogical and incoherent that it is almost impossible to respond to but let me point out to you, just in case you missed it, that Iwobi plays on the left wing for Arsenal where he stretches EPL right backs week in and week out. Furthermore, Musa is the speediest winger in our stable so if anyone can stretch the fullbacks in the ANC, that would be him :!:

Cheers.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Enyi wrote:Etebo did not have a great season at stoke.... played 3 great games and was average in the rest. Mikel or Etebo is a toss of a coin, don’t mind either

The issue with the game is the striker position. Onuacho kept coming for the ball and did nothing with the ball on his feet. We need a mobile striker to utilise the skills and vision of Iwobi, Chukwueze and Mikel(if he plays)

Akpeyi is Akpeyi...the other two are just as bad....the goalkeeping coaches have decided to go with him and don’t see any other option.
My broda, nor be so oh. Your information is incorrect. I hate Stoke but because a Nigerian plays for them, I take my time to watch them, just like I do for every Nigerian player in Europe I can watch.

I also keep records because I love analytics as well as watching and I take pride in being correct and able to have these information. For the Championship it is easy to get statisticaI info. I have every stat on Etebo and he is actually amongst the top in his position in that league when you analyse the stats.

Read this.

Etebo voted player of the year by Stoke City fans.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.goal.c ... h4yyqxsp28

“It’s a thing of joy winning the SW Stoke City player of the year and I just want to use the opportunity to appreciate the fans for their support, though we didn’t achieve our main target for the season,” - Ogehekaro Etebo
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

Your post is so illogical and incoherent that it is almost impossible to respond to but let me point out to you, just in case you missed it, that Iwobi plays on the left wing for Arsenal where he stretches EPL right backs week in and week out. Furthermore, Musa is the speediest winger in our stable so if anyone can stretch the fullbacks in the ANC, that would be him :!:

Cheers.
and yet you responded :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

as for your other incoherences, this is what Arsenal fans think about Iwobi stretching EPL rightbacks :rotf: :rotf: you should go on twitter and see what they say about him.

i cannot, in good conscience communicate with someone who thinks iwobi is effective on the wings.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Waffiman wrote:
Enyi wrote:Etebo did not have a great season at stoke.... played 3 great games and was average in the rest. Mikel or Etebo is a toss of a coin, don’t mind either

My broda, nor be so oh. Your information is incorrect. I hate Stoke but because a Nigerian plays for them, I take my time to watch them, just like I do for every Nigerian player in Europe I can watch.

I also keep records because I love analytics as well as watching and I take pride in being correct and able to have these information. For the Championship it is easy to get statisticaI info. I have every stat on Etebo and he is actually amongst the top in his position in that league when you analyse the stats.

Read this.

“It’s a thing of joy winning the SW Stoke City player of the year and I just want to use the opportunity to appreciate the fans for their support, though we didn’t achieve our main target for the season,” - Ogehekaro Etebo

Some of the things that you read on Cybereagles!

The truth is that Etebo was hit or miss early on (I think that's the part that Enyi remembers) then found his mojo, and then when Stoke made a coaching change he was their best player.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

mystic wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Read this.

Some of the things that you read on Cybereagles!

The truth is that Etebo was hit or miss early on (I think that's the part that Enyi remembers) then found his mojo, and then when Stoke made a coaching change he was their best player.
Spot on Mystic.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

One other option is for Rohr to go for 3-5-2, playing John Ogu in the back three. This will make his line-up look like this:

*************************Ighalo**********************Chukwueze***************************

********************************************Iwobi*********************************************

*************************Etebo***************************Ndidi******************************

***Collins****************************************************************************Aina***

********************Ogu******************Ekong*****************Omeruo*******************

***********************************************Uzoho*****************************************

The good thing about this is that Ogu and Omeruo are good at distributing the ball and will be able to bring it out of the back. Rohr needs to find his best formation quickly.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

9jaMan wrote:

Rohr has to play his best players in their best position.

The best we have now is

Ozoho
Awaziem
Omerou
Ekong
Aina
Mikel
Ndidi
Iwobi
Chukwueze
Onyekuru
Ighalo

Etebo is killing the creativity of the midfield with his sideways and backwards passing.
Mikel lacks both pace and more importantly, stamina. How can you suggest you start a player that you already know cant effectively play beyond 60 minutes?

That means you're already burning one of your three subs even before the match starts and limiting yourself to only two tactical subs (barring any injuries). That is a huge disadvantage that we can get away with against minnows but certainly not the big guns.

Mikel should start from the bench and come on as a second half sub.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

mystic wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

Cheers.

Ezenwa was injured early on in the build-up to the Nations Cup. Thus opening the door for Akpeyi.
Ok i see, but unless he's still injured, I don't see why we can't give him a chance...he seems to be the most confident of the bunch.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

theYemster wrote:
9jaMan wrote:

Rohr has to play his best players in their best position.

The best we have now is

Ozoho
Awaziem
Omerou
Ekong
Aina
Mikel
Ndidi
Iwobi
Chukwueze
Onyekuru
Ighalo

Etebo is killing the creativity of the midfield with his sideways and backwards passing.
Mikel lacks both pace and more importantly, stamina. How can you suggest you start a player that you already know cant effectively play beyond 60 minutes?

That means you're already burning one of your three subs even before the match starts and limiting yourself to only two tactical subs (barring any injuries). That is a huge disadvantage that we can get away with against minnows but certainly not the big guns.

Mikel should start from the bench and come on as a second half sub.

Mikel can play 90 minutes if he plays the CDM role, you don’t need lungs or pace or to cover loads of ground to play as a CDM. Etebo is running around covering ground doing absolutely nothing. Etebo has zero creativity, zero football intelligence, and zero impact in most SE games. Starting Mikel from the bench will not win Afcon. We need intelligent players to play their roles effortlessly at each position. Even chukwueze effortlessly dribbles players at will and never gets tired.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

I think Vancity-eagle is offline with that comment. Therefore, I'd say people should ignore the statement
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

danfo driver wrote:

What in the world does this mean, we need to be cautious in our language when referring to our players, they deserve better respect than this
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

akamoke wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

What in the world does this mean, we need to be cautious in our language when referring to our players, they deserve better respect than this
Call the police! Musa, like Victor Moses and Simon Moses, is brainless, e.g- a dunce and dumb player. They dont think about football. They just play it and hope for the best. That is completely different from a player who actually analyzes the game and has a reason for making decisions when he plays.

If you wasnt to cry, you can cry. The truth will not change.

Today, we had Ighalo refusing to pass to a clearly open Musa. Not because he didnt want to pass to Musa, but because he didnt even realize that Musa was the better option. He assumes that shooting at a very narrow-angle was the better option. That, my friend, shows a very dumb brainless player.

Have a good night.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

If Musa the only Nigerian player to have scored 4 goals at World Cup is brainless because his an aboki then all super eagles players in the history of Nigeria arebtainless. It just means Nigeria only produce brainless players when our WORLD CUP GOAT is described as brainless.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] Daniel Akpeyi has no business within 10 miles of the Super Eagles camp
[2] We desperately need Jamiu Colilns back so he and Ola Aina can offer the fullback overlapping width needed
[3] William Ekong has to work on his woeful distribution
[4] Mikel Obi's days as a Super Eagles player are nearing an end. This will be his last tournament
[5] Alex Iwobi simply has to be our playmaker
[6] We need Samuel Chukwueze and Henry Onyekuru as our wide duo
[7] Ahmed Musa can only play centrally. He lacks the guile to provide ammunition from the flanks. He is suited to playing in a 3-5-2 formation behind a targetman
[8] Odion Ighalo is by far our best targetman. Paul Onuachi is not yet there
[9] Samuel Chuwkueze should play on the left and Onyekuru on the right. Burundi managed to curtail Chukwueze by stopping him from cutting inside. Because he cannot use his right foot, he could not go outside his man
[10] We need to close down opponents much higher up the pitch. In the first half, the Eagles sat off and allowed the Burundians too much of the ball
This your spreadsheet template na wa. E bi like say na the same things you learn from the Burundi and Guinea games. :sneaky:
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

john12 wrote:If Musa the only Nigerian player to have scored 4 goals at World Cup is brainless because his an aboki then all super eagles players in the history of Nigeria arebtainless. It just means Nigeria only produce brainless players when our WORLD CUP GOAT is described as brainless.
I just think the anti-Musa bid is powered by tribalism. Musa na hero as far as me dey konsan
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

john12 wrote:If Musa the only Nigerian player to have scored 4 goals at World Cup is brainless because his an aboki then all super eagles players in the history of Nigeria arebtainless. It just means Nigeria only produce brainless players when our WORLD CUP GOAT is described as brainless.
You think Musa is brainless because he is from the north? How come the likes of Babangida and Garba Lawal not brainless? Mikel and babayaro grew up in the north, how come they are not brainless? please getaway with your shameful tribalism. its disgusting.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

deanotito wrote:
I just think the anti-Musa bid is powered by tribalism. Musa na hero as far as me dey konsan
being a hero and being brainless isnt mutually exclusive.