Super Eagles Lineup For The Game Against Guinea--owngoal

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Super Eagles Lineup For The Game Against Guinea--owngoal

Post by green4life »

Mikel's best position is holding midfield or one of the two deep midfielders (if going with 2 in front of the back 4 - which is where Keshi (RIP) played him in 2013). Mikel and Etebo both played DM in 'division 2' last season and we know who played better DM in 'division 2' and who is more likely to get a job in the EPL between the 2 next season and it's not Etebo. The middle trio should be Mikel, Ndidi + Iwobi. You can have Mikel + Ndidi behind Iwobi or invert the triangle and have Mikel as an anchor midfielder behind Ndidi + Iwobi. The people who have been waiting 10+ years for the day he gets benched from a SE starting lineup will not agree but the reality is even today, Mikel is still one of our most quality central midfielders without a doubt and should be starting. Anyway, ultimately a win is all that matters. Hopefully we get that W tomorrow regardless of who plays.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
theYemster wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:Collins is back in training. I guess he is not fit enough. I would have preferred playing Mikel deeper and then dropping Etebo.
Mikel is already automatically gonna cost you a sub in a matchup that you might need all three subs. The team qualified without him, they should be able to manage with him on the bench and coming on if necessary.
:clap: :agree: The players are capable and I’m sure Mikel knows but it’s up to Mikel to be the bigger man as I can’t see Rohr being able to drop Mikel with Mikel giving him the Ok to do so!
yes they qualified without him by beating Seychelles and Libya :lol: :lol: :lol: even without him when they met the almighty South Africa they lost?(at home) and tied :D see how you just clapped for one of the most daft post by yemester
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

green4life wrote:Mikel's best position is holding midfield or one of the two deep midfielders (if going with 2 in front of the back 4 - which is where Keshi (RIP) played him in 2013). Mikel and Etebo both played DM in 'division 2' last season and we know who played better DM in 'division 2' and who is more likely to get a job in the EPL between the 2 next season and it's not Etebo. The middle trio should be Mikel, Ndidi + Iwobi. You can have Mikel + Ndidi behind Iwobi or invert the triangle and have Mikel as an anchor midfielder behind Ndidi + Iwobi. The people who have been waiting 10+ years for the day he gets benched from a SE starting lineup will not agree but the reality is even today, Mikel is still one of our most quality central midfielders without a doubt and should be starting. Anyway, ultimately a win is all that matters. Hopefully we get that W tomorrow regardless of who plays.

Mikel has been playing for the SE since he was 17. I think he has earned the right to be tired after all these years. Starting from the bench based on his performance in the last game should not be the end of the world. My problem with him in the last game was not so much that he played poorly, but that he flat out refused to put in extra effort. We can't afford such attitude in this game where Guinea will be playing for their survival. We need 3 points, and if that means Mikel starting from the bench, then so be it.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

1naija wrote:
green4life wrote:Mikel's best position is holding midfield or one of the two deep midfielders (if going with 2 in front of the back 4 - which is where Keshi (RIP) played him in 2013). Mikel and Etebo both played DM in 'division 2' last season and we know who played better DM in 'division 2' and who is more likely to get a job in the EPL between the 2 next season and it's not Etebo. The middle trio should be Mikel, Ndidi + Iwobi. You can have Mikel + Ndidi behind Iwobi or invert the triangle and have Mikel as an anchor midfielder behind Ndidi + Iwobi. The people who have been waiting 10+ years for the day he gets benched from a SE starting lineup will not agree but the reality is even today, Mikel is still one of our most quality central midfielders without a doubt and should be starting. Anyway, ultimately a win is all that matters. Hopefully we get that W tomorrow regardless of who plays.

Mikel has been playing for the SE since he was 17. I think he has earned the right to be tired after all these years. Starting from the bench based on his performance in the last game should not be the end of the world. My problem with him in the last game was not so much that he played poorly, but that he flat out refused to put in extra effort. We can't afford such attitude in this game where Guinea will be playing for their survival. We need 3 points, and if that means Mikel starting from the bench, then so be it.
talking about bench, when was the last time you benched pressed? :roll:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
1naija wrote:

talking about bench, when was the last time you benched pressed? :roll:

Keep talking trash, and see if I don't bench press your face with my fist the next time I see you.

:mad: :mad: :veryangry: :veryangry:
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

The starting line up in the last game was influenced by injury and illness. Since players are recovering and their replacements did not do too great, i expect Rohr to make changes.

Ighalo and Musa will start. I would have said Mikel too but current reports have me doubting.

Dont be surprised if its Iwobi who gets benched. He was done after minute 65.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Ugbowo wrote:The starting line up in the last game was influenced by injury and illness. Since players are recovering and their replacements did not do too great, i expect Rohr to make changes.

Ighalo and Musa will start. I would have said Mikel too but current reports have me doubting.

This. I would also be surprised if Mikel is benched. I don't see Iwobi being benched either Chukwueze i think goes to the bench is Moses Simon is cleared to play. Ighalo takes back his starting spot too.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Cellular wrote:Too early to drop players due to performance issues.
Nope. Not at all.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Adepoju said something in the newspaper that the midfield transition needs to be faster. Guess who is the culprit for slowing it down? Mikel. At this point he is a liability. I would not play him at all except to shut down games. The issue for the SE though for me is the attacking quartet.

Iwobi plays far better in a central attacking position but aside Iwobi there is poor link play between the wide players and the no 9. Chukwueze is a great dribbler but his final pass or move into the box is poor. The same goes for Musa. They need to work heavily on the linkup play.
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

kali wrote:Adepoju said something in the newspaper that the midfield transition needs to be faster. Guess who is the culprit for slowing it down? Mikel. At this point he is a liability. I would not play him at all except to shut down games. The issue for the SE though for me is the attacking quartet.

Iwobi plays far better in a central attacking position but aside Iwobi there is poor link play between the wide players and the no 9. Chukwueze is a great dribbler but his final pass or move into the box is poor. The same goes for Musa. They need to work heavily on the linkup play.
I rewatched the Burundi game. Iwobi was very effective on the left. He put in at least 6 crosses 5 of which were good. Paul Onuachu headed one up, Mikel headed another wide while open and very poor positioning and off-ball movement for 3 others. It was clear what Rohr was trying to do with Iwobi and Onaachu
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Maybe it was the Egyptian heat but Mikel had no legs in the last game. The team played far quicker without him on the field and I am not sure if that can be attributed to the heat. I don’t think it will hurt the team one bit if Obi does not start.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

YUJAM wrote:Maybe it was the Egyptian heat but Mikel had no legs in the last game. The team played far quicker without him on the field and I am not sure if that can be attributed to the heat. I don’t think it will hurt the team one bit if Obi does not start.
Jokers full ground:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

icee wrote:
kali wrote:Adepoju said something in the newspaper that the midfield transition needs to be faster. Guess who is the culprit for slowing it down? Mikel. At this point he is a liability. I would not play him at all except to shut down games. The issue for the SE though for me is the attacking quartet.

I rewatched the Burundi game. Iwobi was very effective on the left. He put in at least 6 crosses 5 of which were good. Paul Onuachu headed one up, Mikel headed another wide while open and very poor positioning and off-ball movement for 3 others. It was clear what Rohr was trying to do with Iwobi and Onaachu
icee,

Not many see all the game in a tense atmosphere. The fact is that Iwobi played a hell of a game v Burundi when he was out wide and when he moved to the middle. BTW, prior to the game, I was one of those who felt that he could not hang playing wide but I admit that he played a hell of a game out wide against Burundi. I rated him high.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Maybe it was the Egyptian heat but Mikel had no legs in the last game. The team played far quicker without him on the field and I am not sure if that can be attributed to the heat. I don’t think it will hurt the team one bit if Obi does not start.
Jokers full ground:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Crazy Kongi calling others clowns. We are indeed approaching end times.

In all seriousness though, I was surprised by how badly Mikel played in the last game. No one should doubt his class. He’s been one of the greats for Nigeria for the past 10 yrs or do. But the question is whether he has the legs?
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Burundi has a very mobile midfield and Mikel was asked to play a role that needed him to move quickly. If Mikel had played DM, he would have performed very well.

By the way, for me, Bigirimana was man of the match. He truly impressed me. I heard about him previously, but he fell off the radar. Not sure if he performed so well because our midfield let him, or if he is that good. I do believe, though, that had Ndidi been pushed against him, he'd have shut him down.

He is the engine for Burundi. You take him out of the game (metaphorically--i mean mark him out) and Burundi is done!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

ohenhen1 wrote:It is a long competition. Maranthon not a sprint. We should start peaking after we reach the Quarters.

Will go with this lineup. Collins should be back for Madagascar.

Ezenwa
Awaziem, Omeruo, Ekong, Aina
Mikel, Iwobi, Ndidi
Chukwuze, Osimhen, Onyekuru

Musa and Ighalo can come in for the last 30 minutes and then start against Madagascar on Sunday. Collins will start against Madagascar. Kalu can also get some minutes against Madagascar.
Totally agree with this line up..... this is our best team with Etebo for Mikel after 65-75mins
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Ugbowo wrote:The starting line up in the last game was influenced by injury and illness. Since players are recovering and their replacements did not do too great, i expect Rohr to make changes.

I noticed he wasn't chasing back and players were just walking past him with ease.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Awaziem at RB worries me though I guess we don't have any other options. He is a red card waiting to happen.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."