Court orders arrest of NFF Exco

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Alleged fraud: Court orders arrest of Pinnick, others

Post by Lolly »

https://thenationonlineng.net/breaking- ... officials/
BREAKING: Alleged fraud: Court orders arrest of Pinnick, other NFF officials

Eric Ikhilae Abuja

July 1, 2019 in Featured, News Update, Sports

A Federal High Court in Abuja has issued a bench warrant for the arrest of the President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Amaju Pinnick and four other officials of the organisation accused of misappropriating funds belonging to the football body.

Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu gave the order on Monday after the case involving the NFF officials was called and they were absent in court.

Also, those affected by the arrest order are NFF Secretary, Sunusi Mohammed; the 1st Vice-President, Seyi Akinwumi; the 2nd Vice-President, Shehu Dikko and an Executive member, Yusuff Fresh.

The Federal Government had earlier this year filed a 17-count charge, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/93/2019, before the court, in which it accused the NFF officials of alleged misappropriation of $8,400,000 belonging to the football body.

The money was said to have been paid by the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) to the NFF as appearance fees in the group state of the Russia 2018 World Cup.

The defendants are also accused of “moving dishonestly and intentionally the sum of about N4bn” belonging to the NFF without the consent of the NFF.

Justice Ojukwu gave the order for the arrest of the defendants upon an oral application by the prosecution lawyer, Celcius Ukpong when the case was called and the defendants were absent.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Alleged fraud: Court orders arrest of Pinnick, others

Post by fabio »

They will appeal the arrest warrant to the Appeal court, then Supreme Court.

Then ask if the court has jurisdiction to hear the case in the Appeal court, then Supreme Court.

Then it will be a case of fundamental human rights to Appeal court, then Supreme court.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
imehjunior
Egg
Egg
Court orders arrest of NFF Exco

Post by imehjunior »

https://punchng.com/just-in-court-order ... -4m-fraud/

NEWS
JUST IN: Court orders arrest of NFF President, Pinnick in alleged $8.4m fraud
Published

Ade Adesomoju, Abuja

The Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday issued a bench warrant for the arrest of the President of the Nigeria Football Federation Amaju Pinnick and four other officials of the football body.

Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu issued the order of arrest following the refusal of Pinnick and others to appear in court to answer to the charges of misappropriation of funds belonging to NFF.

Apart from Pinnick, other defendants whose arrests were ordered by the judge include, NFF Secretary, Sunusi Mohammed; the 1st Vice-President, Seyi Akinwumi; the 2nd Vice-President, Shehu Dikko and an Executive member,

Like in the previous proceedings, all the defendants were absent from the court on Monday.

The Monday’s development prompted the prosecuting lawyer, Celcius Ukpong, to orally apply for their arrest, a request the judge granted.

The Federal Government had through the Special Presidential Investigation Panel on the Recovery of Public Property, filed 17 counts, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/93/2019, before the court, in which it accused the NFF officials of alleged misappropriation of $8,400,000 belonging to the football body.

The money was said to have been paid by the Fédération Internationale de Football Association to the NFF as appearance fees in the group stage of the Brazil 2014 World Cup.

The defendants were also accused of “moving dishonestly and intentionally the sum of about N4bn” belonging to the NFF without the consent of the NFF.
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Court orders arrest of NFF Exco

Post by cchinukw »

In the middle of a tournament?

Wonders will never end in our great country.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

cchinukw wrote:In the middle of a tournament?

Wonders will never end in our great country.
What middle? Were they not told to appear in court long before now? In fact, they need to be thoroughly investigated and if guilty, be sent to where they belong. Enough of the thieves in Nigeria getting away all the time without punishment.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

fabio wrote:They will appeal the arrest warrant to the Appeal court, then Supreme Court.

Then ask if the court has jurisdiction to hear the case in the Appeal court, then Supreme Court.

Then it will be a case of fundamental human rights to Appeal court, then Supreme court.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Nigeria, we hail thee!!!!!!
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by muzines »

This is BS.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Conservative: a liberal who has been mugged by reality.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

fabio wrote:They will appeal the arrest warrant to the Appeal court, then Supreme Court.

Then FIFA will come in and dabaru e everything
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

pajimoh wrote:

Then FIFA will come in and dabaru e everything
And some people will blame the FG. :lol:

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

The judge that issued the order should be sanctioned. The due process is to report it to FIFA. Not for a Nigerian court to rule on the matter or to issue bench warrants.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

ohenhen1 wrote:The judge that issued the order should be sanctioned. The due process is to report it to FIFA. Not for a Nigerian court to rule on the matter or to issue bench warrants.
I'M NOT A LAWYER, NEITHER DID I STAY IN THE HOLIDAY INN, BUT...

...I have to believe that a (alleged) crime committed in Nigeria gives Nigerian courts jurisdiction. Why are Nigerians so ready to treat FIFA with such deference, the same outfit that the US just pulverized?
Bell
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...dog eat dog country.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Bell wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:The judge that issued the order should be sanctioned. The due process is to report it to FIFA. Not for a Nigerian court to rule on the matter or to issue bench warrants.

...I have to believe that a (alleged) crime committed in Nigeria gives Nigerian courts jurisdiction. Why are Nigerians so ready to treat FIFA with such deference, the same outfit that the US just pulverized?
Bell
Dont listen to ohenhen1 or ohenhen2, most of the time he talks from the land of the ohenhenville. If we have a due judicial system that is not influenced by the usual magomago that has plagued everything in our beloved country, the courts have every right to try the crime.

Ireland just got its FA president or chief executive to step down using a panel of inquiry which managed to link him to some shady deal. Knowing what lies in wait if he does not step down, the bobo quietly went away. Fifa did not utter kpim, instead it even borrowed Ireland money to restructure its FA.

The problem with us here is that the one making the accusation has no interest of the game at heart, it is all an ego driven vendetta seeking agenda, so they end up in court with useless badly prepared case that can easily be thrown into the dustbin.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

The problem is Nigeria judiciary is compromised. I prefer to have FIFA ethics committee handle fraud claims against Pinnick. There is a certain procedure you can follow.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

They will hide behind FIFA to loot the sporting sector! Nigeria should call FIFA bluff who are a corrupt organization as well and jail those crooks!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Bell wrote:

Bell
They've been talking about fraud before the World Cup so where did those old allegations go? They keep changing what the fraud is for so how can you trust them? They seem to just be throwing darts at a wall to see which one sticks. IMO, they wanted to steal the FIFA money that NFF pencilled to pay the players and coaches. Hence, they tried to get rid of Pinnick immediately after the World Cup (before the World Cup participation money could be divvied) but they failed. I've not heard any of the players complaining that they weren't paid their world cup bonuses so I'm assuming the money was used for what it was intended. I hope Pinnick is keeping a thorough accounting record though as he has enemies in powerful places.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

ohenhen1 wrote:The problem is Nigeria judiciary is compromised. I prefer to have FIFA ethics committee handle fraud claims against Pinnick. There is a certain procedure you can follow.
Not how it works chief.

US DOJ in 2015 did issue arrest warrant for Sepp Blatter and seven of his executive members on allegations of corruption, racketeering, and money laundering.

And USA wasn't banned.

Criminal prosecution is not the purview of FIFA statute.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

So if Pinnick murders someone we have to first go to FIFA to get permission to arrest him? :?

I don't think so. If he committed a crime then he'd be arrested. FIFA has no jurisdiction over a sovereign country's criminal justice system. I think as long as the person that's next in line replaces Pinnick (and not someone else being installed by govt) then FIFA has no say in the matter.

At least that's how I see it.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

ohenhen1 wrote:The problem is Nigeria judiciary is compromised. I prefer to have FIFA ethics committee handle fraud claims against Pinnick. There is a certain procedure you can follow.
Then stop projecting your opinion as a fact, there is a reason people use the expression IMHO, so that it would be treated as such my friend.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: Pay back, this is what you get for madagascaring Nigeria. Next Rorh.. :thumbs:
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet
Amaju Pinnick ordered to appear in court...

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

By Oluwashina Okeleji
Football Writer, Nigeria
29 May 2019

FROM BBC SPORT

Five top officials of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have been ordered to appear in court over alleged misappropriation of funds.

The quintet, including NFF president Amaju Pinnick, are due to appear in court in the capital Abuja on 1 July, according to Justice Ifeoma Ojukwu.

Prosecution lawyer Celsius Ukpong, from the Special Presidential Investigation Panel (SPIP) for the recovery of public property says they will face a number of charges.

As well as Pinnick, NFF vice presidents Seyi Akinwunmi and Shehu Dikko along with general secretary Mohammed Sanusi and executive committee member Ahmed Yusuf have all been ordered to appear.

The charges include failure to declare their assets, the alleged disappearance of US$8.4 million paid by Fifa to Nigeria for participation in the 2014 World Cup and arranging international friendly matches that do not take place.

"We are expecting the accused persons, the defendants, to come to court and take their plea," Ukpong insisted.

However, all five men have always denied all the charges levelled against them, with the football authority calling the accusations "frivolous and baseless" early this month.

With the hearing set to resume in the middle of this year's Africa Cup of Nations, the NFF has played down speculation it could affect the team.

"Our lawyer is handling the matter and the NFF will only make a statement at the appropriate time," NFF director of communications Ademola Olajire told BBC Sport.

"The NFF is focused on important football matters and the priority is to ensure all our teams succeed."

It is not the first time officials of the NFF will be involved in corruption allegations.

Back in 2010, four former officials were arrested amid accusations that some $8m went missing during the World Cup finals in South Africa.

It took eight years for the quartet to be acquitted by the anti-graft agency.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/48445843

Cheers.
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

As I understand it, the courts ultimately accepted the (rather weak) excuse from the defendants that they couldn't attend proceedings because they have to be in Egypt for the Nations Cup.

So now that our run is about to end ....

I am curious as to whether this case will actually be adjudicated or whether political backroom deals will make it go away. And if the case goes forward, should the Board (is there a Board?) suspend Pinnick until he clears his name? You know, like how FIFA parachuted Fatma Samoura to run CAF because of the clouds hanging over Ahmad and Pinnick?
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.