Save our eagles!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

gochino
Egg
Egg
Save our eagles!

Post by gochino »

It's really sad, I was in Nigeria recently and went to a nearby bar to watch a super eagles game, to my surprise the TV in the bar was off, I literally had to beg the lady to put on the TV so that I could watch the game. Her explanation was that nobody really cares about Nigerian football anymore and that the EPL games especially Chelsea games bring them more money and customers. People are seriously losing interest in the Super Eagles. We saw in the last match, a 20k capacity stadium in Lagos was not even half full!
Growing up as a kid, I remember how people blocked traffic by mounting their TV sets in the middle of the road each time the super eagles played, fun memories! The question is what has really happened?Something really needs to be done.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Save our eagles!

Post by Damunk »

gochino wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:12 am It's really sad, I was in Nigeria recently and went to a nearby bar to watch a super eagles game, to my surprise the TV in the bar was off, I literally had to beg the lady to put on the TV so that I could watch the game. Her explanation was that nobody really cares about Nigerian football anymore and that the EPL games especially Chelsea games bring them more money and customers. People are seriously losing interest in the Super Eagles. We saw in the last match, a 20k capacity stadium in Lagos was not even half full!
Growing up as a kid, I remember how people blocked traffic by mounting their TV sets in the middle of the road each time the super eagles played, fun memories! The question is what has really happened?Something really needs to be done.
Maybe SE interest has waned, or maybe it just comes and goes.
However, your experience might not be typical.

But personally I believe the EPL is partly responsible.
It has taken up too much of our football brain time, sucked too much money away from our local game and has laid bare for all to see the mediocre infrastructure we used to think was 'okay'.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

gochino wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:12 am It's really sad, I was in Nigeria recently and went to a nearby bar to watch a super eagles game, to my surprise the TV in the bar was off, I literally had to beg the lady to put on the TV so that I could watch the game. Her explanation was that nobody really cares about Nigerian football anymore and that the EPL games especially Chelsea games bring them more money and customers. People are seriously losing interest in the Super Eagles. We saw in the last match, a 20k capacity stadium in Lagos was not even half full!
The 20k stadium was not full because only a limited number of fans were allowed.
I am just and Ordinary guy being used by an extraordinary God.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Damunk wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:22 am
Maybe SE interest has waned, or maybe it just comes and goes.
However, your experience might not be typical.

But personally I believe the EPL is partly responsible.
It has taken up too much of our football brain time, sucked too much money away from our local game and has laid bare for all to see the mediocre infrastructure we used to think was 'okay'.
Its hard to sustain a sports team without victory...especially in the face of competing interests. They will come back if the eagles look like they're world beaters again.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

They claim that only 5000 fans were allowed due to COVID protocol.

But interest in Naijarian football has waned over the years.

Many reasons for that...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

naijaguy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:28 am
The 20k stadium was not full because only a limited number of fans were allowed.
KPOM. However, never underestimate the power of EPL.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Are there any stadiums anywhere in the world that are more than half full? Remember COVID-19 ❓❗️

Cheers.