10 reasons why Rohr simply has to play 3-5-2 against Bafana

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
10 reasons why Rohr simply has to play 3-5-2 against Bafana

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] Looking at how weak our defence was against Cameroon, it is clear that we have a soft centre
[2] Kenneth Omeruo is arguably our best centreback but alas, he is weak in the air
[3] Leon Balogun is a rock when it comes to aerial balls but alas, he will get done for pace on the counter attack
[4] Chigozie Awaziem is actually strong in the air but he is not an unbeatable rock like say Taribo
[5] For me, to counter the South African quick counter-attacks, he needs to play with three centrebacks. Play Awaziem on the right, Omeruo on the left and Ekong down the middle
[6] With Aina on the right and Collins on the left, that should be a solid enough defensive unit
[7] In front of the defence, Rohr desperately needs Mikel's organising ability. Let Mikel do all the thinking and leave Ndidi do the donkey work. Have you not all noticed that Ndidi is not as effective when playing without Mikel?
[8] There is no dispute that Alex Iwobi is our playmaker, so he has to operate behind the front two
[9] Given Rohr's fixation with Ahmed Musa, he has no choice really than playing 3-5-2 as Musa is hopeless as a wide forward. However, his pace is very effective if he is playing centrally behind Ighalo, especially on the counter attack
[10] As Rohr is not keen on Chukwueze and Onyekuru, he has to ditch the 4-3-3 formation. These are our two best wide men and without them it is nonsensical to play 4-3-3
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: 10 reasons why Rohr simply has to play 3-5-2 against Baf

Post by Lolly »

Lets not forget Aina is not good as a wing-back. And I haven't seen Collins play as one either and he might not even be match fit. This is not a game to experiment.

But I agree, this is a game we need Mikel, even a slow one. We will need to retain the ball much better than we have been doing so far and slow down the pace against a much more fluid side than us. I watched the SA v Nigeria qualifying game live and those guys can ball. And from their performances so far in this tournament, the team is much stronger.

I honestly think Balogun/Omeruo plays better than Ekong/Omeruo. Ekong just looks really flat in this tournament.

I just want Chukwueze to start. All the others can compete for the other positions. He will make a lot of difference to our attack and keep the opponent occupied at the back.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

A slow Mikel should be on the field field even though he's injured on his knees.
Thank God both of you are miles away from the camp.
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Mikel is injured.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Like it or not, Gernot Rohr will live and die with his 4-2-3-1. Rohr, like Benitez and George Graham (of Arsenal) is a typical defensive-oriented european coach and their focus is on stopping the opposition from scoring first and then taking your chances upfront when they appear, which they inevitably do. Listen to his post match Press Conference, he favoured Moses Simon for his defensive abilities in his club because he was worried about pressure from the cameroon left offensive side. After 60minutes when the cameroon left side had simmered, he then brought Samuel Chukwueze in.

Will Gernot Rohr start Chuwueze against South Africa? I doubt it. He will go for his same 4-2-3-1 with Aina and Awazien supporting Ekong and Omeruo (who both have a higher concentration level than dozy Balogun), Ndidi and Etebo providing DM cover, Musa and Simon on the wings and Iwobi supporting Ighalo. Depending on how things go, he can then change it later. It is just Rohr's mindset. If he wins AFCON with his 4-2-3-1, expect a lifetime of it.

[/video]
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Ekorian wrote:A slow Mikel should be on the field field even though he's injured on his knees.
I never said an injured Mikel should be on the field. I meant it is the type of game we need a Mikel if fit.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Ekorian wrote:A slow Mikel should be on the field field even though he's injured on his knees.
He was given a week to return after the Madagascar game so may be fit for South Africa.
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
He was given a week to return after the Madagascar game so may be fit for South Africa.
My point exactly!
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

The way I see it, John Obi Mikel may have already played his last match for the SE. Rohr may give him a few respectful minutes in a few games and break the news to him after AFCON. Mikel's days are over.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

ohenhen1 wrote:Mikel is injured.
Mikel is back in training...
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Ekorian wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
My point exactly!
If he is fit he must play though!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Robbynice wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:Mikel is injured.
Mikel is back in training...

Is he fit enough to start against South Africa? The game is on Wednesday right?
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

He may well play 3-5-2. He used that formation against SA in the qualifiers in the game that ended 1-1. The game in which Musa's 2 goals were surprising ruled offside.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Aina is a very good WB. He's been good in that position for Torino. Simon has also looked good playing as a WB for Levante.
Lolly wrote:Lets not forget Aina is not good as a wing-back. And I haven't seen Collins play as one either and he might not even be match fit. This is not a game to experiment.

But I agree, this is a game we need Mikel, even a slow one. We will need to retain the ball much better than we have been doing so far and slow down the pace against a much more fluid side than us. I watched the SA v Nigeria qualifying game live and those guys can ball. And from their performances so far in this tournament, the team is much stronger.

I honestly think Balogun/Omeruo plays better than Ekong/Omeruo. Ekong just looks really flat in this tournament.

I just want Chukwueze to start. All the others can compete for the other positions. He will make a lot of difference to our attack and keep the opponent occupied at the back.
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] Looking at how weak our defence was against Cameroon, it is clear that we have a soft centre
[2] Kenneth Omeruo is arguably our best centreback but alas, he is weak in the air
[3] Leon Balogun is a rock when it comes to aerial balls but alas, he will get done for pace on the counter attack
[4] Chigozie Awaziem is actually strong in the air but he is not an unbeatable rock like say Taribo
[5] For me, to counter the South African quick counter-attacks, he needs to play with three centrebacks. Play Awaziem on the right, Omeruo on the left and Ekong down the middle
[6] With Aina on the right and Collins on the left, that should be a solid enough defensive unit
[7] In front of the defence, Rohr desperately needs Mikel's organising ability. Let Mikel do all the thinking and leave Ndidi do the donkey work. Have you not all noticed that Ndidi is not as effective when playing without Mikel?
[8] There is no dispute that Alex Iwobi is our playmaker, so he has to operate behind the front two
[9] Given Rohr's fixation with Ahmed Musa, he has no choice really than playing 3-5-2 as Musa is hopeless as a wide forward. However, his pace is very effective if he is playing centrally behind Ighalo, especially on the counter attack
[10] As Rohr is not keen on Chukwueze and Onyekuru, he has to ditch the 4-3-3 formation. These are our two best wide men and without them it is nonsensical to play 4-3-3
U and this 352...dem take am do U? :mad: :mad: :mad: Dude..let's be clear...it wont be a thing for 9ja unless we hire Conte! :twisted: :twisted:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)