Nigeria 2-1 South Africa : FT(Samu, Ekong...VAR)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria 2-1 South Africa : FT(Samu, Ekong...VAR)

Post by ANC »

Gotti wrote:
Lolly wrote:Awaziem really played well too.
Unfortunately, he adds very little offensively...
But his FIRST job is to defend, and that he did well today. Kudos!

Dude, are you for real? Except for todays game he is done more for the offense than all the people who's played the rightwing combined (except Chuwkwueze). Awaziem is the only one who's given any sort of decent cross from the right.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

ANC wrote:Dude, are you for real? Except for todays game he is done more for the offense than all the people who's played the rightwing combined (except Chuwkwueze). Awaziem is the only one who's given any sort of decent cross from the right.
Not even going to bother asking how many ACCURATE crosses he provided today, because...
What exactly is the "offensive contribution" of crosses for Ighalo or the smallish Musa and Simon? :lol:

Some of you need to get off that BS of merely cramming and mindlessly regurgitating the cliched prose of EPL football (much like the "repeat-after-me" legacy of colonial education in Africa). Nigerian football has hardly ever (if at all) thrived on crosses into the box. Even when we had a great crosser of the ball like Finidi, we still hardly put the ball into the box for headers (not least because even our tallest forwards like Yekini and Kanu were not exactly great headers of the ball, albeit Yekini at least did try and Agali provided a brief glimpse only to have most Nigerians hate every other aspect of his game). These days, we hardly (if ever) even bother to get bodies into the box try to meet or finish off crosses. Accordingly, what's the point since a player can only "offensively contribute" to the team that he actually plays (not satisfy the colonialized fantasies of CE's coterie of Internet-Certified coaches).
>
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

theYemster wrote:Has Nigeria ever lost a quarter final match in the AFCON? At least not before 1976 though from what I remember.
You forgot the misdaventure of Betty the T-shirt Peddler in 2008? :oops:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Gotti I could be wrong but Awaziem was more offensive in the Cameroon game than the South African one, maybe the switch up to a more defensive role in the latter game was for tactical reasons an instruction from Rohr to defend more against South Africa.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Gotti wrote:
theYemster wrote:Has Nigeria ever lost a quarter final match in the AFCON? At least not before 1976 though from what I remember.
Ah ok thanks. That was about the exact period I lost my brother. I don't remember watching that edition, along with the 2010 edition, and world cup.

I'll have to look it up.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria 1-0 South Africa : Match thread 1H

Post by Orion »

toyin133 wrote:Etebo hits crossbar with a great Fk
It was actually a good save by the goalkeeper tipping it unto the crossbar. That ball was going in.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Nigeria 1-0 South Africa : Match thread 1H

Post by Robbynice »

Orion wrote:
toyin133 wrote:Etebo hits crossbar with a great Fk
It was actually a good save by the goalkeeper tipping it unto the crossbar. That ball was going in.
Fact not feelings!
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

People are complaining about the ref? I thought the ref was harsher towards the South Africans and gave us most of the 50-50 calls.

They took a very long time to make a decision on the goal but it was clearly legit. Nigeria was getting the big boy treatment there. They had to be very sure before making a VAR call against the big team.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Orion wrote:People are complaining about the ref? I thought the ref was harsher towards the South Africans and gave us most of the 50-50 calls.

They took a very long time to make a decision on the goal but it was clearly legit. Nigeria was getting the big boy treatment there. They had to be very sure before making a VAR call against the big team.
Did you you the ankle breaking tackle on Awaziem? Now compare that to the yellow Musa got
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
Orion wrote:People are complaining about the ref? I thought the ref was harsher towards the South Africans and gave us most of the 50-50 calls.

Did you you the ankle breaking tackle on Awaziem? Now compare that to the yellow Musa got
That tackle was very poor and should have been a yellow at a minimum (if we assume it was just a clumsy miss tackle) but I don't think the ref saw it properly. Other than that, he gave the South Africans 4 yellows to our 1 even though the stats say they committed 19 fouls compared to 22 from us.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Orion wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:

That tackle was very poor and should have been a yellow at a minimum (if we assume it was just a clumsy miss tackle) but I don't think the ref saw it properly. Other than that, he gave the South Africans 4 yellows to our 1 even though the stats say they committed 19 fouls compared to 22 from us.
Nigeria’s fowls were mostly a combination of the push off and stick a leg out from behind fowls. Those usually don’t merit a yellow. South Africa’s fowls were mostly of the ankle-breaking variety :!:

Cheers.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Has any of our Naija Hating Bredas Club (KrawkRawlings, Grammar Patrol...) congratulate us yet or they are waiting....
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
Orion wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:

Nigeria’s fowls were mostly a combination of the push off and stick a leg out from behind fowls. Those usually don’t merit a yellow. South Africa’s fowls were mostly of the ankle-breaking variety :!:

Cheers.
Dude, there's a difference between foul and fowl.
You've typed it three times, so nor be mistake.

Moreover, as a self-proclaimed hunter, you should know your animals.

[Since you have decided to shun decency and insult all those with opposing views, I'm now officially on your case] .

Otherwise, you have a point.
:taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Damunk wrote:
Orion wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:

Cheers.

[Since you have decided to shun decency and insult all those with opposing views, I'm now officially on your case] .

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Damunk wrote:
Orion wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:

Cheers.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Trust the not so intelligent damunk to derail the thread again...all because of a typo error
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

In-Depth: How the Super Eagles soared past sterile South Africa

Nigeria scored a late winner to knock Bafana Bafana out of Afcon 2019. Goal analyses the tactical battle that unfolded.
Nigeria and South Africa clashed in the quarter-final at the Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) on Wednesday evening in Cairo. A last minute winner sent the Super Eagles into the semi-finals having seen South Africa equalise with the help of VAR. Gernot Rohr’s men will meet the winner of the Cote d’Ivoire vs Algeria quarter final on Sunday evening with a place in the final at stake.

Stuart Baxter named an unchanged team from the 1-0 win against Egypt despite Themba Zwane’s return from suspension. Thembinkosi Lorch kept his place on the flank, whilst Ronwen Williams continued in goal and it was again a three-man central midfield with Kamohelo Mokotjo alongside Dean Furman and Bongani Zungu.

Nigeria made two changes from the side which came from 2-1 down to beat Cameroon 3-2 in the Round of 16. At left back, Jamilu Collins made his first appearance of the tournament after illness, meaning Ola Aina dropped to the bench. On the right flank, Samuel Chukwueze got the nod ahead of Moses Simon after his lively substitute appearance against Cameroon.

From the start of the game, it was clear that Nigeria were not going to press high and try to close down the Bafana Bafana centre backs, but instead look to close down in midfield. Baxter’s team were being allowed long spells of possession in non-dangerous areas by Rohr’s men.

As Bafana looked to do in their opening match against Cote d’Ivoire, Dean Furman moved out to the right flank or right half-space when his side were trying to play out from the back. This was to escape Alex Iwobi in his zone, whilst freeing Thami Mkhize to play high up on the right flank, therefore pushing Percy Tau inside and closer to Lebo Mothiba. The problem was that even when Furman or Mokotjo got the ball, the latter dropping deep centrally, they lacked the passing range to find teammates further forward, switch the play or drive forward with the ball to draw out a man.

In midfield, Nigeria were very much man-oriented. All tournament long, they have had problems guarding the space in front of their defence due to Peter Etebo and Wilfred Ndidi being pulled away from that zone when closing down opposition central midfielders. It was the same in this game, but the duo were winning lots of challenges when pressing Zungu and Mokotjo. By full-time, the pair had made five tackles and six interceptions, dominating that area.

Bafana, meanwhile, were again trying to use Tau and Lorch as inside forwards, with both looking to play narrow. With Mothiba dropping off constantly to show for the ball, it was rarely dangerous for one of the central defenders to step out into that space to engage him, safe in the knowledge that there was little threat in-behind. This also allowed William Troost-Ekong and Kenneth Omeruo to defend higher up than usual, thereby compressing the space between-the-lines.

EAGLES ATTACK THE FLANKS

Despite having very little of the ball, by design, in the opening 25 minutes, Nigeria were very purposeful when they did get it. Nearly every regain was followed by a deliberate ploy to switch play into the wide areas. As Bafana were not using Lorch and Tau wide, the Super Eagles fullbacks were constantly free to overlap, whilst being a great out-ball on transition to bypass any counter pressing.

On the right flank, Chidozie Awaziem was much more progressive than usual (being a central defender naturally), so Etebo and Omeruo regularly hit long passes out to him, freeing Chukwueze to come inside onto his left foot to find space around Mokotjo. Iwobi was also causing real trouble by moving towards the flanks and creating overloads against South Africa’s fullbacks, who were already overloaded with a winger to face and either Collins or Awaziem arriving from deep.

The goal came from that source. Ndidi switched play to Ahmed Musa on the left touchline. Iwobi pulled wide to link with the winger as Zungu made a half-hearted attempt to track his man. Meanwhile, Chukwueze had come inside and Mokotjo had not spotted the danger, with Furman had been pulled across towards Iwobi. After a shot was blocked, it fell for Nigeria’s right winger to steer home. All game, Chukwueze had looked a threat and his excellent arrival into a scoring area brought the goal.

These problems in wide areas persisted for Bafana as Chukwueze isolated Hlanti, beat him on the outside and nearly forced a second goal. South Africa, as had been a problem throughout their Afcon campaign, also nearly conceded from their own freekick as Iwobi found Musa bursting free on the counter-attack, but Chukwueze blasted over the bar when he was picked out.

Bafana’s reaction had been non-existent. Williams was looking long from the back, whilst Mothiba was struggling in the duels with the Nigerian central defenders. Etebo characterised the half by reading a pass into Zungu and brushing him off the ball. The battle in the engine room was being completely dominated by Rohr’s team.

SECOND HALF – NIGERIA DROP DEEPER

If Nigeria had not been bothered to dominate possession in the first half, that was even more the case in the second period. The backline dropped significantly deeper, perhaps to draw Bafana out for counters through the speedy wingers. This also had the effect of seeing possession numbers for Baxter’s side swell further.

By the 67th minute mark, Bafana had 61% of the ball in the game, yet had shown no penetration to their play. Themba Zwane had come on to try to provide more threat between-the-lines, but removing Lorch was a curious move and did not do anything to cause Nigeria new problems. Withdrawing one of the visibly fatigued Zungu or Mokotjo would have given Rohr something new to think about.

One moment summed up Bafana’s poor buildup at the tournament. Zungu pulled wide and took Ndidi with him, thus opening space for Tau to drop into. Mkhwanazi’s attempt to find his teammate was poor, Nigeria broke and Hlatshwayo had to crash through Ighalo to stop the attack. Etebo stepped up and forced Williams to tip the resultant freekick onto the bar. Even when South Africa’s best player found separation, no one in deeper areas had the ability to find him consistently.

MKHIZE VERSUS MUSA

One of the key battles in the second half was on the right flank. After Zwane had come on, he was playing very narrow, with Tau now also playing even further inside. The shape looked more like a midfield diamond and with even less width, the Bafana fullbacks were pushed into very advanced positions.

This left plenty of space for Nigeria to break, and Musa got past Mkhize to fire a cross which Furman had to clear, whilst Chukwueze beat Mkhwanazi in the channel and nearly picked out Ighalo. At the other end, Mkhize’s influence was growing as Musa was reluctant to track him.

With just over 70 minutes to go, South Africa were level. Having shown no route back into the game from open play, the equaliser arrived from a set-play. Tau’s delivery was flicked on by a Nigerian player, meaning Zungu was incorrectly flagged offside from his finish and VAR over-ruled the decision. Despite being level, Bafana were still not compact and gave Chukwueze a chance to beat Mokotjo on a counter and find Iwobi to lash over the bar.

Rohr decided after 82 minues to trade Musa’s pace on the break, but lack of defensive nous, for Moses Simon. The latter immediately did a better job of tracking Mkhize. He was also looking to replicate Musa’s direct running at the South Africa right back, twice taking him on but getting nowhere. On the third occasion, he drew a corner. The substitute delivered, Williams came out to punch – with his call audible on the television replays – but he missed the ball completely and Troost-Ekong bundled in the winner.

Stuart Baxter had used his usual Plan B shortly prior to the goal, bringing on target man, Lars Veldwijk for the ineffective Mothiba. This change, as usual, saw Bafana play direct. The substitute won one good header from a deep freekick, but without any genuine width, there were not crosses for him to attack. Nigeria looked very susceptible against deliveries from wide in their win against Cameroon, whilst Daniel Akpeyi has struggled aerially in this tournament. However, two possible weaknesses for the Super Eagles were never really exploited by Bafana.

There was still time for another Nigeria counter as the outstanding Chukwueze set up Ighalo for a chance, but Williams smothered. Rohr then put on Leon Balogun for Alex Iwobi for the final moments to give extra cover against Veldwijk. Baxter didn’t bother with using his third change.

SUMMARY

Although this game was settled by a goalkeeping error in the final moments, that does not tell the story of a far superior Nigeria side. Rohr’s men had significantly more chances despite having just 39% of the ball in the game. Their switching of play to their wide men allowed constant chances to isolate South Africa’s fullbacks. Whereas Hlanti had been given close support in facing Mohamed Salah against Egypt, he was constantly left alone against Chukwueze, whilst Musa and Iwobi also found space to exploit on the flanks.

In midfield, Nigeria dominated proceedings with both Ndidi and Etebo performing excellently, not only in closing down but with their long passing out to the flanks – Bafana’s trio lacked the physicality and freshness to compete. Whereas the aggressive closing down from the Super Eagles pairing had left the zone in front of the back four exposed against Cameroon, it was no real problem here as the backline defended much higher up in the first half than usual, due to the lack of depth to Bafana’s play as Mothiba spent most of the game showing for the ball with his back to goal.

Bafana’s performance was similar to that against Cote d’Ivoire and Namibia, in that they were allowed to play out from the back, had significantly more possession, but had no real ideas of what to do with it. There was no width to their play, there were no runners in-behind and there were no midfielders with the energy to run with the ball, arrive in the box, or play penetrative passes over the top. Baxter’s changes were typically uninspiring as he removed Lorch and then simply went long to Veldwijk. The equaliser had come from a dead-ball situation and aside from those scenarios and the space afforded to Bafana by Egypt’s reckless approach, this was a tournament of sterility for South Africa when trying to break down opponents.

Nigeria did well to solve their problems from the last game and in Chukwueze, Etebo and Ndidi, they had the three outstanding players on the pitch. With 38% and 39% possession respectively in their two knockout wins, Rohr has found a way to draw opponents out and make space for his attackers to exploit.

Goal.com
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

Synopsis wrote:In-Depth: How the Super Eagles soared past sterile South Africa

Nigeria scored a late winner to knock Bafana Bafana out of Afcon 2019. Goal analyses the tactical battle that unfolded.
Nigeria and South Africa clashed in the quarter-final at the Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) on Wednesday evening in Cairo. A last minute winner sent the Super Eagles into the semi-finals having seen South Africa equalise with the help of VAR. Gernot Rohr’s men will meet the winner of the Cote d’Ivoire vs Algeria quarter final on Sunday evening with a place in the final at stake.

Stuart Baxter named an unchanged team from the 1-0 win against Egypt despite Themba Zwane’s return from suspension. Thembinkosi Lorch kept his place on the flank, whilst Ronwen Williams continued in goal and it was again a three-man central midfield with Kamohelo Mokotjo alongside Dean Furman and Bongani Zungu.

Nigeria made two changes from the side which came from 2-1 down to beat Cameroon 3-2 in the Round of 16. At left back, Jamilu Collins made his first appearance of the tournament after illness, meaning Ola Aina dropped to the bench. On the right flank, Samuel Chukwueze got the nod ahead of Moses Simon after his lively substitute appearance against Cameroon.

From the start of the game, it was clear that Nigeria were not going to press high and try to close down the Bafana Bafana centre backs, but instead look to close down in midfield. Baxter’s team were being allowed long spells of possession in non-dangerous areas by Rohr’s men.

As Bafana looked to do in their opening match against Cote d’Ivoire, Dean Furman moved out to the right flank or right half-space when his side were trying to play out from the back. This was to escape Alex Iwobi in his zone, whilst freeing Thami Mkhize to play high up on the right flank, therefore pushing Percy Tau inside and closer to Lebo Mothiba. The problem was that even when Furman or Mokotjo got the ball, the latter dropping deep centrally, they lacked the passing range to find teammates further forward, switch the play or drive forward with the ball to draw out a man.

In midfield, Nigeria were very much man-oriented. All tournament long, they have had problems guarding the space in front of their defence due to Peter Etebo and Wilfred Ndidi being pulled away from that zone when closing down opposition central midfielders. It was the same in this game, but the duo were winning lots of challenges when pressing Zungu and Mokotjo. By full-time, the pair had made five tackles and six interceptions, dominating that area.

Bafana, meanwhile, were again trying to use Tau and Lorch as inside forwards, with both looking to play narrow. With Mothiba dropping off constantly to show for the ball, it was rarely dangerous for one of the central defenders to step out into that space to engage him, safe in the knowledge that there was little threat in-behind. This also allowed William Troost-Ekong and Kenneth Omeruo to defend higher up than usual, thereby compressing the space between-the-lines.

EAGLES ATTACK THE FLANKS

Despite having very little of the ball, by design, in the opening 25 minutes, Nigeria were very purposeful when they did get it. Nearly every regain was followed by a deliberate ploy to switch play into the wide areas. As Bafana were not using Lorch and Tau wide, the Super Eagles fullbacks were constantly free to overlap, whilst being a great out-ball on transition to bypass any counter pressing.

On the right flank, Chidozie Awaziem was much more progressive than usual (being a central defender naturally), so Etebo and Omeruo regularly hit long passes out to him, freeing Chukwueze to come inside onto his left foot to find space around Mokotjo. Iwobi was also causing real trouble by moving towards the flanks and creating overloads against South Africa’s fullbacks, who were already overloaded with a winger to face and either Collins or Awaziem arriving from deep.

The goal came from that source. Ndidi switched play to Ahmed Musa on the left touchline. Iwobi pulled wide to link with the winger as Zungu made a half-hearted attempt to track his man. Meanwhile, Chukwueze had come inside and Mokotjo had not spotted the danger, with Furman had been pulled across towards Iwobi. After a shot was blocked, it fell for Nigeria’s right winger to steer home. All game, Chukwueze had looked a threat and his excellent arrival into a scoring area brought the goal.

These problems in wide areas persisted for Bafana as Chukwueze isolated Hlanti, beat him on the outside and nearly forced a second goal. South Africa, as had been a problem throughout their Afcon campaign, also nearly conceded from their own freekick as Iwobi found Musa bursting free on the counter-attack, but Chukwueze blasted over the bar when he was picked out.

Bafana’s reaction had been non-existent. Williams was looking long from the back, whilst Mothiba was struggling in the duels with the Nigerian central defenders. Etebo characterised the half by reading a pass into Zungu and brushing him off the ball. The battle in the engine room was being completely dominated by Rohr’s team.

SECOND HALF – NIGERIA DROP DEEPER

If Nigeria had not been bothered to dominate possession in the first half, that was even more the case in the second period. The backline dropped significantly deeper, perhaps to draw Bafana out for counters through the speedy wingers. This also had the effect of seeing possession numbers for Baxter’s side swell further.

By the 67th minute mark, Bafana had 61% of the ball in the game, yet had shown no penetration to their play. Themba Zwane had come on to try to provide more threat between-the-lines, but removing Lorch was a curious move and did not do anything to cause Nigeria new problems. Withdrawing one of the visibly fatigued Zungu or Mokotjo would have given Rohr something new to think about.

One moment summed up Bafana’s poor buildup at the tournament. Zungu pulled wide and took Ndidi with him, thus opening space for Tau to drop into. Mkhwanazi’s attempt to find his teammate was poor, Nigeria broke and Hlatshwayo had to crash through Ighalo to stop the attack. Etebo stepped up and forced Williams to tip the resultant freekick onto the bar. Even when South Africa’s best player found separation, no one in deeper areas had the ability to find him consistently.

MKHIZE VERSUS MUSA

One of the key battles in the second half was on the right flank. After Zwane had come on, he was playing very narrow, with Tau now also playing even further inside. The shape looked more like a midfield diamond and with even less width, the Bafana fullbacks were pushed into very advanced positions.

This left plenty of space for Nigeria to break, and Musa got past Mkhize to fire a cross which Furman had to clear, whilst Chukwueze beat Mkhwanazi in the channel and nearly picked out Ighalo. At the other end, Mkhize’s influence was growing as Musa was reluctant to track him.

With just over 70 minutes to go, South Africa were level. Having shown no route back into the game from open play, the equaliser arrived from a set-play. Tau’s delivery was flicked on by a Nigerian player, meaning Zungu was incorrectly flagged offside from his finish and VAR over-ruled the decision. Despite being level, Bafana were still not compact and gave Chukwueze a chance to beat Mokotjo on a counter and find Iwobi to lash over the bar.

Rohr decided after 82 minues to trade Musa’s pace on the break, but lack of defensive nous, for Moses Simon. The latter immediately did a better job of tracking Mkhize. He was also looking to replicate Musa’s direct running at the South Africa right back, twice taking him on but getting nowhere. On the third occasion, he drew a corner. The substitute delivered, Williams came out to punch – with his call audible on the television replays – but he missed the ball completely and Troost-Ekong bundled in the winner.

Stuart Baxter had used his usual Plan B shortly prior to the goal, bringing on target man, Lars Veldwijk for the ineffective Mothiba. This change, as usual, saw Bafana play direct. The substitute won one good header from a deep freekick, but without any genuine width, there were not crosses for him to attack. Nigeria looked very susceptible against deliveries from wide in their win against Cameroon, whilst Daniel Akpeyi has struggled aerially in this tournament. However, two possible weaknesses for the Super Eagles were never really exploited by Bafana.

There was still time for another Nigeria counter as the outstanding Chukwueze set up Ighalo for a chance, but Williams smothered. Rohr then put on Leon Balogun for Alex Iwobi for the final moments to give extra cover against Veldwijk. Baxter didn’t bother with using his third change.

SUMMARY

Although this game was settled by a goalkeeping error in the final moments, that does not tell the story of a far superior Nigeria side. Rohr’s men had significantly more chances despite having just 39% of the ball in the game. Their switching of play to their wide men allowed constant chances to isolate South Africa’s fullbacks. Whereas Hlanti had been given close support in facing Mohamed Salah against Egypt, he was constantly left alone against Chukwueze, whilst Musa and Iwobi also found space to exploit on the flanks.

In midfield, Nigeria dominated proceedings with both Ndidi and Etebo performing excellently, not only in closing down but with their long passing out to the flanks – Bafana’s trio lacked the physicality and freshness to compete. Whereas the aggressive closing down from the Super Eagles pairing had left the zone in front of the back four exposed against Cameroon, it was no real problem here as the backline defended much higher up in the first half than usual, due to the lack of depth to Bafana’s play as Mothiba spent most of the game showing for the ball with his back to goal.

Bafana’s performance was similar to that against Cote d’Ivoire and Namibia, in that they were allowed to play out from the back, had significantly more possession, but had no real ideas of what to do with it. There was no width to their play, there were no runners in-behind and there were no midfielders with the energy to run with the ball, arrive in the box, or play penetrative passes over the top. Baxter’s changes were typically uninspiring as he removed Lorch and then simply went long to Veldwijk. The equaliser had come from a dead-ball situation and aside from those scenarios and the space afforded to Bafana by Egypt’s reckless approach, this was a tournament of sterility for South Africa when trying to break down opponents.

Nigeria did well to solve their problems from the last game and in Chukwueze, Etebo and Ndidi, they had the three outstanding players on the pitch. With 38% and 39% possession respectively in their two knockout wins, Rohr has found a way to draw opponents out and make space for his attackers to exploit.

Goal.com
I was going write my summary of the game. This summarizes my own personal conclusions to a T :agree:
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

theYemster wrote:
Gotti wrote:
Ah ok thanks. That was about the exact period I lost my brother. I don't remember watching that edition, along with the 2010 edition, and world cup.

I'll have to look it up.
Condolences bro...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Tobi17 wrote:Gotti I could be wrong but Awaziem was more offensive in the Cameroon game than the South African one, maybe the switch up to a more defensive role in the latter game was for tactical reasons an instruction from Rohr to defend more against South Africa.
Possibly, but I commenting on the SA game...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

So my boy Uzoho is now a reserve keeper?

:mad:

"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Nkume wrote:So my boy Uzoho is now a reserve keeper?

:mad:

:rotf:
Amen
Egg
Egg

Post by Amen »

Gotti wrote:
ANC wrote:Dude, are you for real? Except for todays game he is done more for the offense than all the people who's played the rightwing combined (except Chuwkwueze). Awaziem is the only one who's given any sort of decent cross from the right.
Not even going to bother asking how many ACCURATE crosses he provided today, because...
What exactly is the "offensive contribution" of crosses for Ighalo or the smallish Musa and Simon? :lol:

Some of you need to get off that BS of merely cramming and mindlessly regurgitating the cliched prose of EPL football (much like the "repeat-after-me" legacy of colonial education in Africa). Nigerian football has hardly ever (if at all) thrived on crosses into the box. Even when we had a great crosser of the ball like Finidi, we still hardly put the ball into the box for headers (not least because even our tallest forwards like Yekini and Kanu were not exactly great headers of the ball, albeit Yekini at least did try and Agali provided a brief glimpse only to have most Nigerians hate every other aspect of his game). These days, we hardly (if ever) even bother to get bodies into the box try to meet or finish off crosses. Accordingly, what's the point since a player can only "offensively contribute" to the team that he actually plays (not satisfy the colonialized fantasies of CE's coterie of Internet-Certified coaches).
>
High crosses right? The ball does not have to be aimed head high to be considered a cross. The team has attempted quite a few crosses in the tournament actually. The fact that many have ended up behind or ahead of the intended receiver is another matter.