Cybereagles
http://forum.cybereagles.com/

Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the planet?
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=295970
Page 1 of 1

Author:  waka-man [ Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the planet?

Some of this writing is absolutely delicious. I’d read him even if i wasn’t interested in football.

Here’s a small sample:
The menace of Chukwueze, all mischief and interesting hair, might have something to do with it. Here, he was superb, off to the races whenever the ball arrived at his feet, but not without first welcoming it with a gentle caress.

Enjoy:

https://muckrack.com/solace-chukwu/articles

Author:  deanotito [ Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the pla

Since you asked...No

Author:  1naija [ Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the pla

Warra hell???

Author:  charlie [ Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the pla

Na wa Ooooo, even journalists get agents for here!

Author:  aruako1 [ Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the pla

He is a very good writer.

Author:  Ugbowo [ Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the pla

He is good but he really disappointed me pre WC when he became an agenda writer.

Author:  Enugu II [ Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the pla

waka-man wrote:
Some of this writing is absolutely delicious. I’d read him even if i wasn’t interested in football.

Here’s a small sample:
The menace of Chukwueze, all mischief and interesting hair, might have something to do with it. Here, he was superb, off to the races whenever the ball arrived at his feet, but not without first welcoming it with a gentle caress.

Enjoy:

https://muckrack.com/solace-chukwu/articles


KPOM. He is excellent and it isn't just the writing but the embedded logic.

Author:  Cellular [ Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the pla

waka-man wrote:
Some of this writing is absolutely delicious. I’d read him even if i wasn’t interested in football.

Here’s a small sample:
The menace of Chukwueze, all mischief and interesting hair, might have something to do with it. Here, he was superb, off to the races whenever the ball arrived at his feet, but not without first welcoming it with a gentle caress.

Enjoy:

https://muckrack.com/solace-chukwu/articles


One of my favourites.

Writes well. And you can follow his logic/argument. Typically done without sentiments. He just doesn't tell you, "trust me, I know what I am saying". He actually presents well thought out arguments/points.

Author:  Cellular [ Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:11 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the pla

Ugbowo wrote:
He is good but he really disappointed me pre WC when he became an agenda writer.


What was his agenda?

I keep telling you guys that EVERY human being has a bias. It is what makes us human.

And having a bias (preference or aversion) for or towards something does not make you a bad person.

Tried to explain that to Patrick but he too took offence to it.

People even disagree with themselves and some of the decisions and actions they have taken in the past. That conflict is inherently human.

Author:  FATHER TIKO [ Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the pla

NO. And we're only talking football, mind...

Solace Chukwu is pretty decent..but not even in the top 100 football writers for me...

Go read
Jonathan Wilson
Tim Vickery
Sid Lowe
Richard Jolly
Paul Tomkins
Henry Winter
Barnay Ronay
etc etc

Author:  waka-man [ Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the pla

FATHER TIKO wrote:
NO. And we're only talking football, mind...

Solace Chukwu is pretty decent..but not even in the top 100 football writers for me...

Go read
Jonathan Wilson
Tim Vickery
Sid Lowe
Richard Jolly
Paul Tomkins
Henry Winter
Barnay Ronay
etc etc


Tim Vickery? Really. Not even sure I’ll call him a “writer”. He’s a good reporter. Same goes for most of the folks on that list. Henry Winter is a very good writer, but I think Solace brings the superior alliteration of an African writer to his work.

I read a lot of sports journalists. I really can’t think of one who makes the heart sing the way Solace does.

Author:  aruako1 [ Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the pla

Ugbowo wrote:
He is good but he really disappointed me pre WC when he became an agenda writer.


We all have agendas because we are human. I have my biases and so have you. Sometimes we suppress our biases (I wouldn't have Ighalo in my preferred Nigerian team but he is there on merit) and sometimes we don't. That is why there is a difference between factual reporting and opinion pieces. In the latter, our biases cannot be avoided.

Author:  danfo driver [ Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the pla

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Please, return the money he has paid you.

Author:  waka-man [ Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the pla

danfo driver wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Please, return the money he has paid you.


I’ve never met the guy and while I admit to at least a dash of hyperbole in my heading :drool: , he’s a wonderful writer. I’m not actually commenting on his knowledge of the game (although, I rate that highly too), the quality of his prose is unusually high for a sports journalist, a category not known for it’s literary credentials.

Author:  FATHER TIKO [ Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the pla

waka-man wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
NO. And we're only talking football, mind...

Solace Chukwu is pretty decent..but not even in the top 100 football writers for me...

Go read
Jonathan Wilson
Tim Vickery
Sid Lowe
Richard Jolly
Paul Tomkins
Henry Winter
Barnay Ronay
etc etc


Tim Vickery? Really. Not even sure I’ll call him a “writer”. He’s a good reporter. Same goes for most of the folks on that list. Henry Winter is a very good writer, but I think Solace brings the superior alliteration of an African writer to his work.

I read a lot of sports journalists. I really can’t think of one who makes the heart sing the way Solace does.


Tim Vickery merely a reporter..? You must have been reading his player-portraits only, then :taunt: :taunt:
Try reading his match reports...

Author:  danfo driver [ Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the pla

A great writer does NOT have to be objective. In fact, there are many great writers who use their talent for propaganda. However, a great writer is never SPITEFUL!

This gentleman can be very spiteful and spite doesn't only affect your independence and objectivity, it affects your ability to properly present a reasoned position. I stopped reading his stuff after his childishness years ago.

Author:  waka-man [ Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the pla

FATHER TIKO wrote:
waka-man wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
NO. And we're only talking football, mind...

Solace Chukwu is pretty decent..but not even in the top 100 football writers for me...

Go read
Jonathan Wilson
Tim Vickery
Sid Lowe
Richard Jolly
Paul Tomkins
Henry Winter
Barnay Ronay
etc etc


Tim Vickery? Really. Not even sure I’ll call him a “writer”. He’s a good reporter. Same goes for most of the folks on that list. Henry Winter is a very good writer, but I think Solace brings the superior alliteration of an African writer to his work.

I read a lot of sports journalists. I really can’t think of one who makes the heart sing the way Solace does.


Tim Vickery merely a reporter..? You must have been reading his player-portraits only, then :taunt: :taunt:
Try reading his match reports...


I really don’t consider Tim Vickery anywhere near Winter - or Chukwu. We clearly have different likes in literature. Which is ok. Nothing spoil.

Author:  Coach [ Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the pla

The honour is reserved entirely for Cyberia’s very own Oga Litrachor, the Mazi of metaphors...Coachiliam, double Ogbuefi, “mind’s my nine, pen’s my Mac 10”, quill and pot of ink, not least the man with the golden gun, but one who’s rode roughshod over an invincibility star on Mario’s raceway enroute to a Mexican standoff. Pen in hand, Chukwu may indeed have a gold finger, but what’s a quantum of solace before the legendary lyricist, Shirley Bassey in the rear, saying exactly what I’ve been saying my whole career”.

Author:  Obong [ Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the pla

...and Solace is a Cybereagle! He jumps in here once in a while. He's very good. Nigerian sports journalism has a great future with his likes.

Author:  metalalloy [ Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the pla

A lil full of himself but an excellent writer. I enjoy his articles,

Author:  Bell [ Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the pla

AS ONE WHO HAS OCCASIONALLY CASTIGATED THE QUALITY OF NIGERIAN (MEDIA) WRITING...


...I wish there were a lot more like this Chukwu fellow. And I'm sure there are, but the media owners probably don't feel a need to feed their audience with quality.
Bell

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC + 1 hour
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/