Algeria has been the best team at Afcon; SE have no margins

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

waka-man
Egg
Egg
Algeria has been the best team at Afcon; SE have no margins

Post by waka-man »

4 hours to go.

Biggest game since Argentina in Russia.

We won’t want to admit it, but if you were to judge this game on “points” based on performance over previous 5 games, Algeria win this at a canter.

There really are no weaknesses to this side, apart from perhaps at full back. Even then, their organisation nullifies that. They have a deceptively physical midfield, a fluid attack and in Mahrez, one of the few players in the tournament that can decide a game himself.

They’ll be up an SE that has no such player, and worse still, has a frightening habit of giving gifts.

Continue that habit today, and Algeria win easily.

Any hope for the Eagles? Sure.

As mentioned, Algeria will show some vulnerabilities at full back, and in Musa, Chukwueze and Iwobi, Nigeria has the players to expose that vulnerability. Will they find the final ball to make the most of it? They haven’t yet with any regularity, but it’s a threat that lurks menacingly in Rohr’s side.

At the other end of the field, the question will be how well Ndidi - with the help of Etebo, Iwobi, Musa and Chukwueze protect the back four. Will the full backs have the confidence to attack and keep Algeria honest? Will Rohr ask for more press or will he cede the possession to Algeria, compress the field and trust SEs concentration to plug all passing lanes.

Big questions. Lots have to go right for SE to win this.

That’s why I make Algeria slight favourites for tonight’s game.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Algeria has been the best team at Afcon; SE have no marg

Post by maceo4 »

So why couldn’t they beat useless CIV in normal time? Abeg this is the creme de la creme the margins are very small and any slight mistake will be punished by either side. Will be a fun game!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

There is a familiarity going on between four players on that field: Mahrez & Slimani for Algeria and Musa and Ndidi for us - the Leicester City link. Its an intriguing prospect but I see in Chuwueze our Joker in the pack.

Meanwhile, they say this is a new Algerian side, different from the one we knacked on the way to the 2018 WC.
How true is this?
How different are they, apart from their new coach?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
seloweizer
Egg
Egg

Post by seloweizer »

I have seen so many write ups like this from many here. All the so called “incisive analysis” ceding the game to Algeria as euphemism for “managing fears and expectations”. You are hedging to come back here and tell me “I told you so”.

I have watched the Algerian game against CIV twice and they were as ordinary as any team I have seen in this tournament. CIV created many chances and could have won the game at regular time. Algeria has NOT been tested. Today they will succumb once again to Nigeria that has always held an advantage over them.

In just a few hours... we will see!
Look who is Here Again!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

seloweizer wrote:I have seen so many write ups like this from many here. All the so called “incisive analysis” ceding the game to Algeria as euphemism for “managing fears and expectations”. You are hedging to come back here and tell me “I told you so”.

I have watched the Algerian game against CIV twice and they were as ordinary as any team I have seen in this tournament. CIV created many chances and could have won the game at regular time. Algeria has NOT been tested. Today they will succumb once again to Nigeria that has always held an advantage over them.

In just a few hours... we will see!
You are right O! I’m hedging.

But my hedge is even more blatant that you suggest. I can’t call this one. You should know my track record - I’m typically bullish for SE. And I still think today could be good, especially looking at the CIV game.

But as I said, if football was played on points from previous games, they win.

Again, I make them slight favourites. But we all know, even heavy favourites don’t always win.
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

Senegal currently out playing Tunisia but not taking t Advantage of the chances they have created so far. Mane rounds the keeper and shoots wide
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

seloweizer wrote:I have seen so many write ups like this from many here. All the so called “incisive analysis” ceding the game to Algeria as euphemism for “managing fears and expectations”.] You are hedging to come back here and tell me “I told you so”.[/b
KPOM.
Emotional 'insurance'.
But e no easy, so I no blame anybody.
SE dey give person high BP.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Damunk wrote:
seloweizer wrote:I have seen so many write ups like this from many here. All the so called “incisive analysis” ceding the game to Algeria as euphemism for “managing fears and expectations”.] You are hedging to come back here and tell me “I told you so”.[/b
KPOM.
Emotional 'insurance'.
But e no easy, so I no blame anybody.
SE dey give person high BP.

Nna, guilty as charged.
Na so so latrine man pikin just dey go today.
:curse: :curse: :curse:
I dey dia now dey type self.

Even my 12 year old boy just dey stress anyhow, dey beg im mama make e send go shop, just so make e get sumtin to take im mind off game.

Na wah O!