We may be back to square one.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Leaf
Egg
Egg
Re: We may be back to square one.

Post by Leaf »

ANC wrote:
Leaf wrote:Slightly off topic, but I still believe we need to dump green on green uni on green grass. Teams wearing contrasting colors have the advantage in the peripheral vision department

This is the most sensible post on the jersey thing
Thank you. Under pressure you're more likely to find your teammate 40 yards away if he's wearing contrasting colors than if he's wearing green on green on the pitch
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

1naija wrote:While I think Rohr is a good coach and has done a great job building this team to have great depth, I doubt he can take us to the next level. I think we'll continue to be a serious threat with him as the coach, but I doubt we can win championships with him. The question then is Who should be the next coach?

My fear is that we'll listen to these sweet talking Nigerian coaches and hire one of them. Then we will be back to square one. I see this team being completely destroyed in 2 years.
in two (2) years? You should have said in one year. They will call their brothers, cousins, nephews, clients and et al. to camp and from there, the team will die a SLOW death
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Tobi17 wrote:If he stays, then he needs a complete staff overhaul cause I feel his backroom staff are useless... Get a more attacking minded assistant coach to work with him, and someone definitely better than Victor Agali to do the player scouting, cause we need more players to build on what we have (after the likes of Mikel, Ighalo, Ogu, Akpeyi) retire as expected. But most importantly, Rohr if he stays, needs to change his coaching philosophy... play more attacking minded players and change his rubbish philosophy... But I want him gone either way.
So the fault is with his backroom staff and not the man actually EMPLOYED to deliver results?
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Komani
Egg
Egg

Post by Komani »

Tobi17 wrote:I have a feeling Amunike or Siasia will be hired.
No to either. Amunike is not yet ready.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

1naija wrote:
felarey wrote:If Chelsea can hire Frank Lampard, Naija can hire Sunday Ogorchukwu Oliseh. But I don't believe it's all on Rohr. The players should look at themselves too.
Naija did hire Oliseh once and he abandoned the team in the middle of a competition. No way should such unprofessional person be allowed to manage the team again. He is like those crooked Nigerian doctors that demand for their pay in the middle of an operation. I don't care how good Oliseh is, I would not hire him ever again to coach Nigeria. Remember, Rohr came about because of Oliseh!
He signed a contract and asked for it to be respected on day 1. He gave several warnings when the NFF did not fulfill their end of the agreement including those related to the plight of his players. When the conditions didn't improve he quit as a true professional should. In my profession, if I don't get my due from a client or the terms of my contract are not met, I should quit. That way I protect myself as well as other professionals in the same profession. Seems like your issue with him is he dared to be professional not unprofessional.

The guys that continued to work under those conditions, where did it get them. Amodu, Keshi, Siasia, Egu etc. Some went in the ground still owed money. Siasia that took over managed only a whine with the sports minister. Truth is we don't want Oliseh because we don't want to treat him like a Rohr as he's a bloody nigerian. :roll:
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Zelex wrote:
felarey wrote:
oscar52 wrote:
felarey wrote:If Chelsea can hire Frank Lampard, Naija can hire Sunday Ogorchukwu Oliseh. But I don't believe it's all on Rohr. The players should look at themselves too.
Oliseh again? Doing the same things and expecting a different result not wise.
Don't think we've been doing the same with Rohr. Haven't heard of Rohr Feeding players out of pocket, not enough shoes, subhuman accommodations, lying on airport floors, reusing jerseys, shoddy arrangements, unpaid salaries plus fraudulent claims of payment from NFF etc.

Oliseh can be tried with same or better conditions as Rohr.
I think Oliseh has a great ability (tactics,coaching) but his man management of players is questionable which is probably the most important attribute needed in being successful with the SE. This is where Keshi (RIP) thrived and to some extent where Rohr's strengths lie.
The questionable man management tag is a red herring. Just because a player refused to sit down when he told him to and bolted out of the team. That same player, Oliseh flew to France to visit him in his house. Is his man management worse than Mourinho or Luis Van Gaal? What about Sir Alex, Conte or Guardiola?
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

felarey wrote:
1naija wrote:
Naija did hire Oliseh once and he abandoned the team in the middle of a competition. No way should such unprofessional person be allowed to manage the team again. He is like those crooked Nigerian doctors that demand for their pay in the middle of an operation. I don't care how good Oliseh is, I would not hire him ever again to coach Nigeria. Remember, Rohr came about because of Oliseh!
He signed a contract and asked for it to be respected on day 1. He gave several warnings when the NFF did not fulfill their end of the agreement including those related to the plight of his players. When the conditions didn't improve he quit as a true professional should. In my profession, if I don't get my due from a client or the terms of my contract are not met, I should quit. That way I protect myself as well as other professionals in the same profession. Seems like your issue with him is he dared to be professional not unprofessional.

The guys that continued to work under those conditions, where did it get them. Amodu, Keshi, Siasia, Egu etc. Some went in the ground still owed money. Siasia that took over managed only a whine with the sports minister. Truth is we don't want Oliseh because we don't want to treat him like a Rohr as he's a bloody nigerian. :roll:
Here is Oliseh in his own words on why he quit. Maybe this is the professional way of handling disputes in your profession, but in most professions you will be blackballed for leaving your job in such manner. Every person can tell his employer to kiss his azz and walk off the job, but dont expect to go back get your job back.

It's good that oliseh told the NFF to kiss his azz and abandoned the team in the middle of a competition, but we should not expect the NFF to hire him back.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Zelex wrote:
john12 wrote:Most Nigerians are regretting sacking Amodu, keshi for qualifying us for two wc and winning ANC. Yet, 7, 9, 19 years later they want the same done to Rohr only to regret when his gone lol. First of all, a new coach isn't our problem. If you like hire Mourinho Guardiola he will still have the same calibre of players at his disposal. There isn't anyone important that rohr omitted so selection wasn't an issue. We simply lost to a team that was better than us on the day $#% happens just learn from your mistakes. Most of these players are young and this is their first ANC have some patience with them and above all Thank Almighty GOD. A new coach will select new unknown player waste 2/3 and by the time his done, you will be thanking ROHR. Experience is the best teacher of life
Rohr himself should naturally want to improve himself, he seems quite rigid in his thinking and contented with how things are going. This is my concern. I want to see improvements in him and the team but I haven't seen any over the last 18 months! He did OK in this tournament, I don't think he deserves to be sacked but I don't see the SE getting any better under him.
So let's do a SWOT test on him and try and be objective about it.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

ANC wrote:
Leaf wrote:Slightly off topic, but I still believe we need to dump green on green uni on green grass. Teams wearing contrasting colors have the advantage in the peripheral vision department
This is the most sensible post on the jersey thing
Absolutely. Leaf just stole my thunder. :thumb:
But we will have to dedicate a thread to this topic once the stats are available. So far most have been putting everything down to "superstition" - typical lazy Naija approach to examining the less obvious.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Zelex wrote:
john12 wrote:Most Nigerians are regretting sacking Amodu, keshi for qualifying us for two wc and winning ANC. Yet, 7, 9, 19 years later they want the same done to Rohr only to regret when his gone lol. First of all, a new coach isn't our problem. If you like hire Mourinho Guardiola he will still have the same calibre of players at his disposal. There isn't anyone important that rohr omitted so selection wasn't an issue. We simply lost to a team that was better than us on the day $#% happens just learn from your mistakes. Most of these players are young and this is their first ANC have some patience with them and above all Thank Almighty GOD. A new coach will select new unknown player waste 2/3 and by the time his done, you will be thanking ROHR. Experience is the best teacher of life
Rohr himself should naturally want to improve himself, he seems quite rigid in his thinking and contented with how things are going. This is my concern. I want to see improvements in him and the team but I haven't seen any over the last 18 months! He did OK in this tournament, I don't think he deserves to be sacked but I don't see the SE getting any better under him.
A 100 yr old man to change his habits aka football philosophy....... Only Nigerians will dream up such fantasy.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

We simply lost to a QUALITY team. No more to add
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

john12 wrote:We simply lost to a QUALITY team. No more to add
Like Drogba, Yaya & co in 2013.
The difference between 2013 and 2019 is guts vs cowardice.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

zee wrote:
Zelex wrote:
A 100 yr old man to change his habits aka football philosophy....... Only Nigerians will dream up such fantasy.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: kai, na wa-oo!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

I agree! the Algerians were better all round. We couldn't attack and couldn't defend either. Each time they had the ball, it was a scoring chance for them. Our mid-field never existed and our left back as has been the case, was easily breached whenever the Algerians wanted. Ball was always in our side of the field.

I was watching the game very nervously for the first time since this AFCON began. Within 10 minutes into the game, I knew we were not going to make it out unless something is done. Thus, I kept praying for our team to hold-on till the halftime so our coaches can make adjustment(s), maybe switch to 3-5-2 and teach the Algerians some football lesson.

To my surprise and pain, we came back for the second half and nothing changed. The Algerians were certainly better and everyone on earth saw it. Algeria will beat Senegal if they play the way they played us.
Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

Odas wrote:
I agree! the Algerians were better all round. We couldn't attack and couldn't defend either. Each time they had the ball, it was a scoring chance for them. Our mid-field never existed and our left back as has been the case, was easily breached whenever the Algerians wanted. Ball was always in our side of the field.

I was watching the game very nervously for the first time since this AFCON began. Within 10 minutes into the game, I knew we were not going to make it out unless something is done. Thus, I kept praying for our team to hold-on till the halftime so our coaches can make adjustment(s), maybe switch to 3-5-2 and teach the Algerians some football lesson.

To my surprise and pain, we came back for the second half and nothing changed. The Algerians were certainly better and everyone on earth saw it. Algeria will beat Senegal if they play the way they played us.
Personally, I'm not that disappointed. TBH, watching this game made me realize that Algeria is a level above Nigeria which surprised me. Before this tournament started, I thought they were slightly better than the SE along with Senegal and Morocco but thought the difference lay in those nations having players that can provide that "X-factor". Thus with this being a knockout tournament, Nigeria had a good chance of going all the way. I never knew there was team in this tournament that were comfortably better than the SE.
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Tobi17 wrote:If he stays, then he needs a complete staff overhaul cause I feel his backroom staff are useless... Get a more attacking minded assistant coach to work with him, and someone definitely better than Victor Agali to do the player scouting, cause we need more players to build on what we have (after the likes of Mikel, Ighalo, Ogu, Akpeyi) retire as expected. But most importantly, Rohr if he stays, needs to change his coaching philosophy... play more attacking minded players and change his rubbish philosophy... But I want him gone either way.
U cannot teach an old dog new tricks....Rohr is set on his ways and we cannot change that....

One thing ppl fail to notice is that during qualifiers....it is a different SE TEAM....balanced play, fearless...even when we lost to SA no one blamed Rohr...cos we played ok, his tactics were ok but come tournament time....he wilts and goes extremely defensive....that’s cowardice of the highest level so he needs to go.
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Zelex wrote:
Odas wrote:

Personally, I'm not that disappointed. TBH, watching this game made me realize that Algeria is a level above Nigeria which surprised me. Before this tournament started, I thought they were slightly better than the SE along with Senegal and Morocco but thought the difference lay in those nations having players that can provide that "X-factor". Thus with this being a knockout tournament, Nigeria had a good chance of going all the way. I never knew there was team in this tournament that were comfortably better than the SE.
Did we not beat Algeria home and away for the WC qualifiers? So what changed between then and now.....cos they didn’t just give birth to 11 excellent players all of a sudden...they maybe Arabs but not that good.

The difference is the Coach....getting the best out of them.....and ours cheerleading in the corner.
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

Enyi wrote:
Zelex wrote:
Odas wrote:

Did we not beat Algeria home and away for the WC qualifiers? So what changed between then and now.....cos they didn’t just give birth to 11 excellent players all of a sudden...they maybe Arabs but not that good.

The difference is the Coach....getting the best out of them.....and ours cheerleading in the corner.
Coaching is a factor but the SE squad was a little better then. Victor Moses provided that "X-factor" that is lacking now and Mikel was more influential. Victor Moses scored 2 goals in the 3-1 victory. We drew them 1-1 away.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Victor Moses all of a sudden is a legend....

Victor Moses is better than Mahrez? The Algerian team were better than, younger then.... had nothing to do with Victor Moses....

I don’t remember victor Moses dribbling 11 players to score or even score a wonder goal...

We can deceive ourselves or walk around blind but the issue is the Coach...full stop. What X factor player played for Madagascar when they were beating the SE that included Ighalo, Musa, Moses, Etebo....3-0

Which of their players provided the X-Factor? Or is that reserved only for the SE?

John12 will tell you that any team can beat any team in their day....but not SE......we only have players that beat teams below us.....at the moment that means no one.....

-Martin Luther King- Jr.

Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

Enyi wrote:Victor Moses all of a sudden is a legend....

Victor Moses is better than Mahrez? The Algerian team were better than, younger then.... had nothing to do with Victor Moses....

I don’t remember victor Moses dribbling 11 players to score or even score a wonder goal...

We can deceive ourselves or walk around blind but the issue is the Coach...full stop. What X factor player played for Madagascar when they were beating the SE that included Ighalo, Musa, Moses, Etebo....3-0

Which of their players provided the X-Factor? Or is that reserved only for the SE?

John12 will tell you that any team can beat any team in their day....but not SE......we only have players that beat teams below us.....at the moment that means no one.....
Victor Moses was crucial for the SE. His performances largely dictated the result of games. His international record is there for everyone to see.

Madagascar game was an anomaly (result wise) but regardless it was poor tactical display by Rohr. Madagascar deserved their victory. However, there is reason why in most tournaments, it's the team with the better players that end of winning i.e USA in WWC, Brazil in the Copa America, Mexico in the Gold Cup and now one of Algeria or Senegal.

Could Rohr have done better...most definitely yes. However, we need to be honest and logical. I've been on neutral football forums and 90% thought Algeria were favourites and would win this game. The result isn't really surprise but I personally wanted a better performance and tactical display from the team and the coaching staff.