Nididi and Etebo Not Very Good Defensive Players

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Aswani
Egg
Egg
Re: Ndidi and Etebo combo

Post by Aswani »

oscar52 wrote:
Aswani wrote:I said after 2 games that this was the best central midfield partnership in the tournament and nothing has changed for me.

I know Wilfred is not exactly flavour of the month after yesterday but I have been scratching my head to think of a better central midfield partnership since Muda and Aloysius. In fact I would go further and put this central midfield combination up against any presently in the world.

Watching them win second balls time and time again was a joy to behold. Yes I know they flagged nearer the end of the Algeria game but if every other player won their battles comprehensively the way these two did, we would have walked the tournament.

They reminded me of the dominance of the trio of Essien, Muntari and Appiah in the 2006 world cup.

The future is bright with these two in the middle.
Its not about winning balls alone though they have to have an offensive game as well to consider them good enough for the national team. For me Etebo is serviceable but Ndidi just has almost zero offensive game, I will actualy play Ndidi in RB in the future and move someone that drives forward more in the midfield, maybe even Awazien. There is too little pressure coming from the middle to the opponents defense and its because of players like Ndidi.
I don't want to name names but there were players in front of them that totally let us down yesterday. Those two held the middle and there were people that should have been taking balls off them and punishing the Algerians who didn't.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nididi and Etebo Not Very Good Defensive Players

Post by MI5 »

Oga Cellular,

I dey o longest time... I dey hail.. I believe this is 9th Golden Bronze we have won... Wow must be a record... Don't know what to say anymore... :o

Cellular wrote:
MI5 wrote:As Goldenera94 pointed out in one thread, Ndidi's play and foul led to the goals against Madagascar, South Africa and now Algeria.

There is something about his play that is just to relaxed, lackadaisical, and just doesn't have the personality to play that role. A very good player but that position requires full dominance and making sure that arc is yours for 90mins.

It begs to wonder what do the coaches do in training and where is the Technical Study Group for the team to point out these critical mistakes Ndidi was making throughout the tournament? Don't they watch videos, break plays down, pull him aside and show him what he is doing wrong and all? Where are the Naija coaches on the bench and what is their role in the team? How come all these little critical details are never worked on?

As for Etebo, he should be more of an attacking midfielder than a defensive one. Rohr is a useless coach.. Knows nothing about the game.

Shameful...
Oga, I dey hail o.
Soldier of Fortune...
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Oloye,

No vex ohh longest time.... I am doing well... Abeg PM me your number I go call you...

oloye wrote:
MI5 wrote:As Goldenera94 pointed out in one thread, Ndidi's play and foul led to the goals against Madagascar, South Africa and now Algeria.

There is something about his play that is just to relaxed, lackadaisical, and just doesn't have the personality to play that role. A very good player but that position requires full dominance and making sure that arc is yours for 90mins.

It begs to wonder what do the coaches do in training and where is the Technical Study Group for the team to point out these critical mistakes Ndidi was making throughout the tournament? Don't they watch videos, break plays down, pull him aside and show him what he is doing wrong and all? Where are the Naija coaches on the bench and what is their role in the team? How come all these little critical details are never worked on?

As for Etebo, he should be more of an attacking midfielder than a defensive one. Rohr is a useless coach.. Knows nothing about the game.

Shameful...
You this man, how can you keep away like that... Yourself and Elerineye I dey vex for both of una, but ya own pass Elerineye. How u dey?
Soldier of Fortune...
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Ndidi has the opportunity to get better as a player and be dominant in the position he plays in, too many times in games I've seen him play for both club and country, it seems when he can't win the ball, he resorts to these types of unnecessary fouls in dangerous areas which led to the goals scored by Madagascar, South Africa and Algeria which turned out to be their decisive winner and the opportunity they were looking for throughout the game.

As a top flight professional footballer and an international player, he ought to know he is committing such plays in critical areas and needs to work on making sure he eliminates this part of his game or teams will scout him very well enough to know he is likely to commit such plays in dangerous areas which will lead to the type of free kick Mahrez scored in added time. I also won't be surprised if the Algerians scouted him well enough to know he was likely going to commit such play during the course of the game.

Etebo should be an attacking midfielder using his stature, pace and speed to go after teams similar to the way Amokachi and Oruma played during their days. Plus he is a powerful shot taker tells me he can be used well in an advanced role if there is a better coach than Rohr who doesn't seem to know anything about football.
Soldier of Fortune...
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Goalgetter,

I dey hail o longest time... If your number is the same I go holla you... Rohr is a complete joke.. I did some reading about him he is a legend in Bordeaux when he played for them... Don't know what to say... Clueless coach..

Goalgetter wrote:
MI5 wrote:John 12,

He was getting into the game in the latter stages of the second half and he should have been kept on. It's either you move him to the left, come in from the middle or have him go at the Algerians one on one. This is when a coach becomes tactical and move things around. Our attack simply stopped after he came off and Onyekuru just wasn't ready yet.

In stages of tournaments like this especially at the semifinal stage, you have think like a chess player and Rohr is just not it. A super clueless coach.

john12 wrote:taking out chukwueze was wrong? what did chukwueze do the entire time he was on? nothing. his still young and I cant blame him for our loss but he wasn't good today at all
The Onyekuru move was a ploy to say he “played him” since there’s been calls for him to get involved. What a junk of a coach. If anything Musa or Ighalo needed to be subbed. Ighalo just commits fouls all day. The midfield was terrible and needed some oomph. This team didn’t look like they could score a goal if the game had continued till next week. They were setup to let Algeria play and hope not to concede.
Soldier of Fortune...
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Babalawo,

Yes greetings... We must talk soon...

Babalawo wrote:Mi5....Shun sir!
Soldier of Fortune...
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

MI....I trolly salute o
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
jungle-jawara
Egg
Egg

Post by jungle-jawara »

Goalgetter wrote:Unbelievable how these guys give away cheap free kick in very dangerous areas over and over again. Ndidi is such a moron.. A professional should know not to commit a silly foul like that at such a moment. just unbelievable. Etebo like you said is no DM. I can’t get why people here and Rhor think he is one. Ridiculous.

You can't really blame them. There was once a time were these free kicks were committed in the 18 yard box, because it was the last option, but now if you commit those freekicks there, it is definitely a penalty and probably a sending off.
Players have there roles, midfielders do, so also goal keepers. What do you think would have happened if they missed the tackle and the opposing player gets the ball to the keeper? Maybe a goal down, and guess who we will blame? The truth is our keeper sucks mad balls, and players would rather commit the foul rather than letting the choice get to the keeper. This way they may have a chance of blocking the freekicks. But like we have all seen, the keeper has been horrible with these freekicks anytime it sails through.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

MI5 wrote:Oloye,

No vex ohh longest time.... I am doing well... Abeg PM me your number I go call you...

oloye wrote:

Shameful...
You this man, how can you keep away like that... Yourself and Elerineye I dey vex for both of una, but ya own pass Elerineye. How u dey?
MI5 how body? You forgot us ?
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Oddly enough, foreign commentators and analysts were shrining Ndidi and Etebo (without whom Nigeria would not have got anywhere near the SF). One of them said of Etebo:

"Phenomenal footballer and one of the most dynamic footballers I've ever seen...You could literally play him anywhere - Etebo. He is SO dynamic. He's got pace, he's got driving runs, he can get the passing game going."
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Our balance in midfield was off. We have a lack of quality and depth for the country we believe that we are at senior level.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Ndidi and Etebo combo

Post by Cristao II »

Aswani wrote:
oscar52 wrote:
Aswani wrote:I said after 2 games that this was the best central midfield partnership in the tournament and nothing has changed for me.

I know Wilfred is not exactly flavour of the month after yesterday but I have been scratching my head to think of a better central midfield partnership since Muda and Aloysius. In fact I would go further and put this central midfield combination up against any presently in the world.

Watching them win second balls time and time again was a joy to behold. Yes I know they flagged nearer the end of the Algeria game but if every other player won their battles comprehensively the way these two did, we would have walked the tournament.

They reminded me of the dominance of the trio of Essien, Muntari and Appiah in the 2006 world cup.

The future is bright with these two in the middle.
Its not about winning balls alone though they have to have an offensive game as well to consider them good enough for the national team. For me Etebo is serviceable but Ndidi just has almost zero offensive game, I will actualy play Ndidi in RB in the future and move someone that drives forward more in the midfield, maybe even Awazien. There is too little pressure coming from the middle to the opponents defense and its because of players like Ndidi.
I don't want to name names but there were players in front of them that totally let us down yesterday. Those two held the middle and there were people that should have been taking balls off them and punishing the Algerians who didn't.
Kpom.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8