Akpeyi and freekicks

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Re: Akpeyi and freekicks

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote:
Coach wrote:On the contrary, to get the ball over the wall and beneath the bar from that range, would’ve been a tall order. Mahrez was always going to sledgehammer it. Akpeyi wasn’t stopping that, the pace and power on the ball was tremendous, in stepping to the left, Ak afforded himself ample room for the big Hollywood dive and what a dive it was. Twentieth century Fox.
KPOM. From the distance of the kick it is matter of the speed of the ball and the goalkeeper's reaction. If the ball is well struck your only chance is if it struck right at you. If not you cannot react fast enough except if you guess right and move just before the ball is struck. Akpeyi did not have a chance and his dive was late because of how fast the ball got to the spot.
Prof., you are wrong. Just like in anticipating intercepting a ball, your angle and spacing assist's you. If you are not well positioned, you make it easier for your opponent. There is no goalkeeper or even a coach that will say that he was possitioned properly to improve the probability of him making a save. Mahrez saw this and knew this. He knew that if he kicked it fast enough that because of Akpere's positioning there's no way he will get to it.

The positioning was poor.

PERIOD!

Ps., It was a well-taken freekick. Don't get me wrong. Just that the goalie didn't do himself any favors with the way he was positioned. BTW, look at the Etebo freekick in one of our games that was going into angle 90. The keeper got to it because of his positioning.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Coach wrote:On the contrary, to get the ball over the wall and beneath the bar from that range, would’ve been a tall order. Mahrez was always going to sledgehammer it. Akpeyi wasn’t stopping that, the pace and power on the ball was tremendous, in stepping to the left, Ak afforded himself ample room for the big Hollywood dive and what a dive it was. Twentieth century Fox.
KPOM. From the distance of the kick it is matter of the speed of the ball and the goalkeeper's reaction. If the ball is well struck your only chance is if it struck right at you. If not you cannot react fast enough except if you guess right and move just before the ball is struck. Akpeyi did not have a chance and his dive was late because of how fast the ball got to the spot.
Prof., you are wrong. Just like in anticipating intercepting a ball, your angle and spacing assist's you. If you are not well positioned, you make it easier for your opponent. There is no goalkeeper or even a coach that will say that he was possitioned properly to improve the probability of him making a save. Mahrez saw this and knew this. He knew that if he kicked it fast enough that because of Akpere's positioning there's no way he will get to it.

The positioning was poor.

PERIOD!

Ps., It was a well-taken freekick. Don't get me wrong. Just that the goalie didn't do himself any favors with the way he was positioned. BTW, look at the Etebo freekick in one of our games that was going into angle 90. The keeper got to it because of his positioning.
Cell,

I actually think that he was positioned the way you wanted. There is a video taken from behind the goal showing Akpeyi clearly cheating to the right (away from the wall).

Is there someone with the technical ability to post a whatsapp video here so that we all can clearly see the positioning of the keeper? I have that video.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Akpeyi should never be in goal for our national team, he is the worst golie i have ever seen at the AFCON ( since i started watching the AFCONS) I saw Rufai in 88 and 2019 we have to deal with such trash in goal...
The 2 goals vs Cameroon , the pathetic VAR goal and the horrible positioning ( what sort of goalie stands behind his wall?)vs Algeria. That Mahrez's free kick was savable

There is no way this guy is even better than the goalie we took to RIO ..shame on Rohr
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

imehjunior wrote:
thank you my brother ...
SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

imehjunior wrote:
I will leave Prof. Enugu II to analyze the pictures for me.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

A team that was disgraced by a Madagascar should not be hoping to win anything. 3rd place might even be out of reach because CIV is no joke.
http://www.melangeGO.com/
A family oriented online fashion store. Offering high quality products at low cost.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

mastermind wrote:A team that was disgraced by a Madagascar should not be hoping to win anything. 3rd place might even be out of reach because CIV is no joke.
We don't have quality players that play in the ECL.

We are the youngest team in the competition, remember we didn't qualify for the last two AFCON, so we should be grateful, we got to the Semi-Final.

We are the under dogs in the competition.

We lost to Madagascar because they were the first to qualify for AFCON.

We lost to Algeria because we were playing for extra time.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Anyone who defends Akpeyi after seeing this still is just as blind as the man himself. Yes, part of the blame goes to Ndidi for needlessly giving away the foul, however a lot still needed to be done by our goalie and he practically invited Marhez to score into an empty net! Another reason why Nigeria fails to progress. We love to make excuses for clearly high levels of incompetence. That was a primary school error made against a World Class talent. How daft can a player be?
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Chingo Bling wrote:
olumide wrote:Firstly, I want to say that I have been a certified Akpeyi hater in the past, but he earned my respect in this tournament. Shaky at times, but generally solid enough that we could win if we played well. What errors he did make didn't really hurt the team in any match. This is all we can ask for now with the current crop. However, the dude clearly has an issue with positioning for freekicks. Mahrez's strike to win the match today was great and would have gone in against a lot of keepers, but it was shot directly at the part of the goal that Akpeyi should have been covering, and he was NOWHERE near it. In fact, looking at the below still of it, the shot was not in the top corner at all and was at a height that you would consider it to be a saveable shot, despite the pace:
This is because once again Akpeyi has no trust in his wall and is positioned incorrectly.
The keeper is actually behind the wall! He should be further to his right. Look how inviting that section of open goal is to a player of Mahrez's talent! Our wall had four six footers it it! Let him try and and get it up and over from that distance if he can, but as a keeper you cannot concede on your side of the goal. We have seen this before with Akpeyi:
[/video]
Ignoring the first ridiculous error he made, watch the first goal. He is already probably a bit too close to his wall and cheats even further behind it as Banega goes to strike. Banega puts in an average shot at pace (probably a little lower quality than Mahrez's), and again he's nowhere near. (as an aside, that video made me miss a fit, confident, and hungry Iheanacho, we need him out of his funk).

It is clearly a trend at this point, and is unacceptable that a player in his thirties that has had years of coaching across the continent and with the SE is failing at such an important part of keeping. It seems he is the #1 for now and there is a serious weakness in his game. It has just cost the team dearly and needs to be worked on.
Mahrez placed his shot based on the keepers position. Regardless of where the keeper stood, he would have adapted the strike and position of the free kick
Let him put it over the wall and we will clap for him like we clapped for Messi in 2014 vs Enyeama becasue there is very little a goalie can do about that especially if its perfectly placed. But what happens is the degree of difficulty to execute that option gives you a chance because much much more often than not (even Messi, Ronaldo & them) the ball will be off target. If it enters you can't do anything about it but you can surely do something about protecting your side of the wall. This is elementary.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

fabio wrote:
oloye wrote:Akpeyi is not a good keeper the people who have problem are those analysing a bad keeper. But I am happy people found out now, because same people were saying he should have been given a chance at the WC.
He is better than his replacement.
For where? :lol:
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

green4life wrote:Image

Anyone who defends Akpeyi after seeing this still is just as blind as the man himself. Yes, part of the blame goes to Ndidi for needlessly giving away the foul, however a lot still needed to be done by our goalie and he practically invited Marhez to score into an empty net! Another reason why Nigeria fails to progress. We love to make excuses for clearly high levels of incompetence. That was a primary school error made against a World Class talent. How daft can a player be?
What pissed off the most was that I was shouting myself hoarse before the freekick about how poor the 'curtain' was and how he wasn't positioned properly. That is he aware that it is Mahrez? Didn't Musa and Ndidi play with him? Or was Ndidi in Leicester after Mahrez left? Anyhow, everyone knows aside from our goalie that Mahrez likes curling shots and has the skill to do it all day. You don't even give yourself a freakin chance...

The thing I don't understand is the notion that fans don't know the game.

The game wasn't lost due to personnel it was a tactical and 'team energy' blunder. Like we saw against Argentina at the WC.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

chuks69
Egg
Egg

Post by chuks69 »

imehjunior wrote:
See Akpeyi was in double minds.. He should have stayed further Right, away from the wall, because if the opponent would have aimed to height the wall it would definitely go above the bar because of the close distance.. Where as further right he would have stood a chance.. Another logically reasoning point was to have put more bodies on the wall..
afc##
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Uzoho is better than Akpeyi and Enzewa is better than all of them..but rohr is clueless
SuperEagles

green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Cellular wrote:
green4life wrote:Image

What pissed off the most was that I was shouting myself hoarse before the freekick about how poor the 'curtain' was and how he wasn't positioned properly. That is he aware that it is Mahrez? Didn't Musa and Ndidi play with him? Or was Ndidi in Leicester after Mahrez left? Anyhow, everyone knows aside from our goalie that Mahrez likes curling shots and has the skill to do it all day. You don't even give yourself a freakin chance...

The thing I don't understand is the notion that fans don't know the game.

The game wasn't lost due to personnel it was a tactical and 'team energy' blunder. Like we saw against Argentina at the WC.
Have you ever seen a goalie intentionally stand behind his wall? And folks want to query the gk coach when his student is an 'iti bolibo'. If the player no get the IQ capability, hope no dey for instructions to enter inside head :lol: ....

and the fact that Rohr insisted on Akpeyi says a lot about the IQ laziness of Rohr himself :lol:
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Uzoho is better than Akpeyi and Enzewa is better than all of them..but rohr is clueless
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

As I pointed out, who has WhatsApp so that I can send a video that they can post here. The problem with the photo posted here is that angle from which it was taken. The video I have is taken from behind the goal and it shows Akpeyi on the third of the goal to his right while the wall covers the two thirds going left. Is there someone with the tech ability to do this?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Delusional nigerians now akpeyi is to blame lamo. This is what we call "Selective justice DELUSIONS" in law. The goal was a QUALITY goal that buffon would not stop. That's all I can say
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote:
imehjunior wrote:
I will leave Prof. Enugu II to analyze the pictures for me.

Cell,

Think of angles from where the photos are taken before reaching your conclusion. BTW, here is just an example (see LINK below). See the angle to the same free kick against Enyeama. Does Enyeama not seem to be behind the wall? :rotf: The fact is that he sure was not behind the wall but yet the photo....... Neither was Akpeyi directly behind the wall in that Algerian free kick as that picture alludes. He was to the right of the wall (just on the edge).

At Akpeyi's position, he conceded the far left angle for the wall to defend with no hope of ever getting there. He protected the right by his position. However, as you and I know, even protecting that right end guarantees nothing because it does depend on the speed of the ball and the human reaction to it and to the spot where it was hit. The ball was hit with great speed and far top left that Akpeyi's reaction could not match the speed of the ball as shown in his late dive.
http://static2.businessinsider.com/imag ... k-goal.jpg
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

@Prof E2: Start watching from 11:15 min mark and listen carefully to the analysis from Segun Odegbami

https://www.youtube.com/?v=R3J-8otXjNA[/video]
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

I was watching with a friend and immediately he saw Akpeyi's position he said Mahrez would score. I didn't spot it at first but when I saw the replays I was a bit disappointed. I don't want to be too hard on the dude. In any other era, he'd struggle to get into our team, but right now we have a crisis. He did his best.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Ndidi deserve more blame than akpeyi this year